1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Team Crystal (Peaked 493 on PO)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Cozyy, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Cozyy

Cozyy

[​IMG]
    TEAM CRYSTAL

Peaked 493 on PO

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Introduction

Hello everyone at Smogon. This is my first ever RMT and im pretty excited! After playing UU for about a week now I have fallen in love and now its usually all I play. I created this team after wanting to build a team based around my favorite pokemon Suicine. I mean look at him and tell me he isn't the coolest looking pokemon. This is a pretty balanced team with checks to most UU threats. It also packs a nice offensive punch with powerful sweepers in Mew, Cobalion and sometimes even Suicune. Overall I think this is a balanced team which is why I peaked at 493 on PO.

Team Analysis

Suicune

[​IMG]
    Suicune@Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    Evs: 252 Spd/ 252 Spe/ 4 SAtk
    Timid Nature (+Spe –Atk)
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Calm Mind
    -Hidden Power (Electric)

Suicune, the entire inspiration for this team. Ever since I first caught him in Chrystal I have loved him. He was OU and great last gen. He isnt quite good enough for OU this gen but sits comfortably atop the UU tier being a bulky water that can also dish out. The EV spred is so Suicune can absorb whatever special attack is thrown at it and then outspeed to set up with Calm Minds. After 1 or 2 calm minds Suicune has the potential to sweep since nothing can touch it defensively. Surf for a powerful STAB that doesn’t miss (Dumb Hydro Pump). Ice beam for those pesky Roserade’s or Celebi’s who wanna try to set up on Cune. And HP Electric for bulky waters or flyers who switch in. An all around useful poke and does great every match.

Synergy
    Grass~ Crobat, Cobalion, Zapdos
    Electric~ Steelix​

Crobat

[​IMG]
    Crobat@Leftovers
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Evs: 252 HP/ 252 Spe/ 4 Atk
    Jolly Nature (+Spe –Satk)
    -Taunt
    -Roost
    -Brave Bird
    -U-Turn

With his blazing speed and all around usefullness, Crobat has earned the spot on the team as main lead. I lead with this guys almost all of the time because of how effective it has proven to be. If the oppenent leads with a Stealth Rocker I taunt him first turn then U-Turn on the switch to have an early advantage. I decided to not put any EVs in Crobat’s defense’s since he already has some pretty nice natural bulk. I run max HP so he lives longer, max speed to outspeed anything bar certain scarfers and some in attack for when I need to Brave Bird everything. Plus its always fun to OHKO Mienshao first turn because people always seem to forget Inner Focus.

Synergy
    Rock~ Steelix, Cobalion
    Electric~ Steelix
    Psychic~ Steelix, Alakazam
    Ice~ Suicune, Cobalion​

Donphan

[​IMG]

Donphan@Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    Evs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Atk
    Impish Nature (+Def –SAtk)
    -Stealth Rock
    -Ice Shard
    -Earthquake
    -Rapid Spin

Donphans job on my team is to get up rocks, to be my physical wall and to spin away any hazards on my side of the field. With sturdy I can guarantee rocks to get up. EVs maximize his bulk. Ice Shard for priority and Earthquake for STAB.

Synergy
    Water~ Suicune
    Grass~ Crobat, Zapdos
    Ice~ Suicune, CObalion

Mew

[​IMG]

Mew@Life Orb
    Ability: Synchronize
    Evs: 252 SAtk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
    Timid Nature (+Spe –Atk)
    -Nasty Plot
    -Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Aura Sphere

The special sweeper on my team, Mew. This is a pretty basic set for sweeping. AFter one Nasty Plot Mew can basically outspeed and take down whatever gets in its way. It has great natural bulk so it can take hits while dishing out hard. I took the advice of Scoopapa and ran Psyshock over Psychic for dumb Chansey.

Synergy
    Bug~ Crobat, Cobalion, Steelix, Zapdos
    Ghost~ Steelix, Cobalion
    Dark~ Cobalion, Steelix

Cobalion

[​IMG]
    Cobalion@Life Orb
    Ability: Justified
    Evs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
    Jolly Nature (+Spe –SAtk)
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Iron Head
    -Stone Edge​

Now onto my powerful physical sweeper, Cobalion. Cobalion can sweep a whole team and is my main switch in to Chansey. After a Swords Dance, he leaves a dent in anything that switches in. I run jolly so I can outspeed most counters who don’t expect the speed. Evs maximize sweep potential. STAB Close Combat and STAB Iron Head hit everthing hard and are the main move I use. I run Stone Edge just for coverage in case some flying type wants to come in. Slowbro walls the hell out of this thing so before I set up I have to make sure he is out of the way.​

Synergy
    Fighting~ Crobat, Alakazam, Zapdos
    Ground~ Crobat, Zapdos
    Fire~ Suicune

Zapdos

[​IMG]
    Zapdos@Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    Evs: 248 HP/ 228 Def/ 16 Spd/ 16 Spe
    Bold Nature (+Def –Atk)
    -Thunderbolt
    -Roost
    -Toxic
    -Heat Wave

Pretty basic physicslly defensive Zapdos set. Designed to Toxic/PP stall out any wall, Zapdos also plays a key part in taking out bulky waters that trouble this team. The Evs are straight from smogon and I don’t see a problem with them. Zapdos rarelys dies in battle thanks to them. The moves are pretty obvious for this set. Toxic the wall then roost and PP stall with Pressure. Pretty straightforward.

Synergy
    Ice~ Suicune, Cobalion
    Rock~ Steelix, Cobalion

Problems
    The only problems im having right now with this team is breaking through the Slowbro/Chansey wall. It always seems to stop me so
    I need some tips for that

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for reading and rating my team!!
  2. Captain Dragan

Captain Dragan

In my experience, i find SubDos to be extremely annoying to take down, so i suggest you use that set:

Zapdos@Leftovers/Life Orb
    Modest, 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
    -Substitute
    -Roost
    -Thunderbolt
    -HP Ice/Heat Wave/Toxic

This set is so hard to take down if you don't have something like dual chop to break the sub. Roost heals off any sort of damage, including Sub-damage faster. Thunderbolt is for obvious STAB and the last move is to hit grounds, hit steel/ice/grass-types or to stall, respectively. Life Orb could be utilized as you have Roost anyway.

Good Luck,
    Cap'n
  3. Cozyy

Cozyy

4. Scoopapa

Scoopapa
    is a Pre-Contributor

I don't know how well Alakazam has been doing for you but in my experience it's kind of weak in the current metagame compared to what's probably the best Psychic-type this side of OU: Mew. You could run Nasty Plot Mew:

Mew@ Life Orb
    252 SpA / 252 Spe

Nasty Plot
    Psyshock
    Shadow Ball
    Aura Sphere

After one Nasty Plot you are going to be about as strong as zam after a Calm Mind, and zam is so fragile that the lack of SpD boost isn't that much of an issue. Psyshock deals with Chansey, and Shadow Ball with Slowbro, so you have a sweeper who deals with that core nicely. Aura Sphere's 100% accuracy will prevent you from stressing out over Focus Blast's craptastic accuracy, too.
  5. Cozyy

Cozyy

Bump again. maded some changes. looking for feedback.
  6. Fyre5x5

Fyre5x5

I believe on you suicune if you want to take special hits you should put more into hp then spD. i don't know what'll be best for taking special hits, if a more experienced player could help here, but in my experience putting evs in hp is better overall. Another problem i see is going up against gastrodon or quagsire. Your best bet is to toxic stall them with zapdos but other than that they wall you pretty bad. Nasty plot azelf could work over mew for this with grass knot. A set like this:
    Azlef@Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    4hp/252spA/252/spe
    -Nasty plot
    -psychic/psyshock
    -Fire blast/flamethrower
    -grass knot
    Not only is azelf faster by a lot, he also hits a lot harder. he isn't as bulky but generally is a better nasty plot sweeper than mew. hope this helps
  7. Lethal TOucan

Lethal TOucan

lolololol your synergy says steelix
  8. kd24

kd24 lemme just whip my dick out and slam it on the table
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

congrats on the ladder ranking, winning a match is hard work

problems you are going to find is your team barely uses entry hazards but it tries to sweep with stuff that wants entry hazards...id honestly use deoxys-d with spikes over mew and roar on zapdos, running a ghost is up to you but i think nasty plot taunt mismagius would be a lot more effective than crobat, he gives you a spinner and another sweeper. its up to you thought, crobat abuses entry hazards with u-turn pretty well, depends on if you want to keep them

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)