1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Team Eggs & Bacon (an RU Sunny Day RMT!)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by BTzz, Oct 2, 2011.

1. BTzz

BTzz spams overhand rights
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Team Eggs & Bacon

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

.::Introduction::.

Hello Smogon! I saw that RU finally got it's own tag in the RMT fourms so I thought I'd post my first RU RMT. So this is a Sunny Day team that I've been consistanly tweaking and playtesting evry since the release of the RU tier. Sunny Day is a very underated playstyle in RU, especially with the lack of permanent weather inducers, viable dragons and Flash Fire Pokemon. Sunny Day even has the adavantage over standard Rain Dance team. Its Sun's sheer versatility that make it better then rain teams (which are easily stoppoed by Ferreseed and Rotom-C) imo. Basically, if you don't have a Munchlax, you're going to have a tough time keeping up with Sun teams. I pretty much went through every single sun Pokemon avalible while building this team. Stuff like Speed Boost Combusken, Rock Polish Camerupt, and Rapidash all had thier stints. Now for a little breakdown of the team. The team focuses on using an offensive core of Emboar + Exeggutor. The two share great synergy and they can rough up each others counters while provideing each other with sun support. The team also utilizes Toxic Spikes from Drapion to wear down my opponents walls to open up a sweep. A common theme I tried to use on the team is the ability to operate in and out of sun. Quiver Dance Lilligant and Flame Charge Emboar fit this theme perfectly. Another thing you'll notice about this team is the lack of Stealth Rock. I really tried to slot them on to handle stuff like Moltres and Yanmega, but I just couldn't keep them up since the rapid spin support in RU is ridiculous (some people even run two spinners :3). As for ladder success, I've gotten this team within the top 50 which is meh, but I'm pretty proud of it since I'm not using stuff like Yanmega, Smash Passing, Rain etc.

----------------------------
    In-Depth Look (kind of)
    ----------------------------

[​IMG]|[​IMG]
    Cresselia (F) @ Heat Rock
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Sunny Day
    - Lunar Dance
    - Moonlight
    - Psychic

It's pretty ironic that a moon duck Pokemon finds it's way onto a sun team. Anyways, Cresselia is my main source of sun, and pretty reliable one at that with Cresselia's amazing bulk. Cress is my answer to physical attackers. Althogh Cresselia's special bulk is also great, I have Munchlax and Drapion for that. Lunar Dance and Moonlight may seem redundant together, but they both have thier uses. Moonlight is for when I want to stall something out and when I know I'll need more sunlight later on in the battle. If you ever plan on using this team you have to know the right time to pull the trigger on Lunar Dance. Cresselia has to be finished her jobs. She has to wall and eliminated certain threat(s) and get sun up, from there I have to decide which one of my three sweepers has a better chance at sweeping my opponents weakend team. Psychic is basic STAB, it allows Cresselia to quickly dispose of the Fighting-types she walls and it prevents Cresselia from being Taunt Bait.

[​IMG]|[​IMG]
    Exeggcutor (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Sunny Day
    - Solar Beam
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Probably one of my favorite Pokemon in RU right now. Exeggutor is a very underrated Chlorophyll sweeper that boast one of the highest special attack stats in RU. Exeggutor has two roles on this team. To set up sun and sweep with it or to simply pass his sun to another, healthier sweeper who may have an easier time sweeping at that point in the battle. Exeggutor's Grass/Pyschic typing matches up nearly prefectly with Emboar's Fire/Fighting. This mean Exeggutor can pass sun to Emboar without him taking a big hit most of the time. This Exeggutor abuses the sun to it's fullest. Doubled speed via Chlorophyll, an upgraded Solar Beam and a boosted Hidden Power Fire make this thing scary under the sun. STAB Psyshock allows Exeggutor to do some damage against Munchlax.

[​IMG]|[​IMG]
    Emboar @ Life Orb
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Flare Blitz
    - Brick Break
    - Wild Charge
    - Flame Charge

Flame Charge Bacon is an excellent wallbreaker and late gamer in RU. With unresisted coverage, once it Emboar gets off a Flame Charge the only things stoping him in the sun are Rhyperior and Gligar (who don't fair well against half of the team). Emboar is basically a mini Arcanine, but he trades Arcanine's priority for the luxury of not being Stealth Rock weak. Flame Charge is a pretty cool move. Emboar can get rewarded with a speed boost for simply revenge killing a weakend Poke. Unfortunatley Emboar's choices for Fighting STAB are rather limited. His two strongest options (Superpower and Hammer Arm) are totally contradictary to a Flame Charge sweeper set. Brick Break while rather weak, does have a cool niche. It can break through the screens commonly seen on Baton Pass teams. Emboar is also surpisinly bulky so it isn't worn down as easily as Infernape or Blaziken. Emboar's STAB, LO, Sun boosted Flare Blitz is already ridiculously overkill. I can not wait until this piggy gets Reckless.

[​IMG]|[​IMG]
    Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Quiver Dance
    - Aromatheropy

Lilligant rounds out my sweeping trio. Lilligant was put on the team so I could have the ability to pull off a sweep in or out of sun. The set is pretty simple set up some Quiver Dances and heal off any damage with a boosted Giga Drain. Hidden Power Rock gives Lilligant a chance to pick off Moltres, Honchkrow or Yanmega while sun is up. It also grants decent coverage along with Giga Drain with the combo only being resisted by Steel-types. My favorite part about this set is Aromatherapy. It allows Lilligant free set up on stuff like Cresselia who smetimes relies on Toxic stalling things out. It also awakens my Munchlax after he has used Rest. With Exeggutor and Lilligant both hammering away at specail walls, one of them is usually guranteed a sweep late game.

[​IMG]|[​IMG]
    Drapion (M) Black Sludge
    Trait: Battle Armour
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    Calm nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Crunch
    - Taunt
    - Sunny Day/Rock Slide

Drapion plays a vital role on the team. Toxic Spikes are crucial to the team functioning properly (except when Quick Feet Ursaring trolls me). They make walling my sweepers very difficult for stuff like Munchlax or Miltank. They'll be forced to switch out where I can then set up for free. Drapion is my main answer to Cresselia who a pain otherwise. Taunt prevents it from setting up Calm Minds or Screens then I can hit it with a STAB Crunch. Taunt is also very useful when I need to stop a Smash-Pass chain. I alternate between Rockslide and Sunny Day while I ladder. Rockslide obviously hits some of RU's biggest threats like Yanmega, Moltres and Honchkrow while extra sun is always good. Drapion's only weakness is completly covered by Exeggutor and Cresselia which is nice. Before you guys get into a big Black Sludge vs Lefties debate, I preffer Black Sludge because if someone tricks me they'll get poisoned. You're probably thinking "what if they trick it back?!". Lilligant has Aromatheropy remember?

[​IMG]|[​IMG] 
    Munchlax (M) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Whirlwind
    - Rock Slide
    - Sleep Talk
    - Rest

Munchlax is the glue to the team, forming a pretty solid deffensive core along with Cresselia. He provides a great switch into Moltres and Yanmega (special attackers in general). Munchlax functions as my sleep sponge, phazer and special wall. Rest-Talk allows Munchlax to beat sleep inducers like Venomoth or Lilligant, possibly nulifying thier boost with Whirlwind. Munchlax carries Rockslide for the same reason Drapion has Rockslide and Lilligant has Hidden Power Rock. Eviolite makes Munchlax extremely bulky while Rest grants him longevity. Muchlax can use rest more recklessly since Lilligant has Aromatheropy. Munchlax's Thick Fat ability is great when in need to sponge a Fire or Ice attack for my Chlorophyll sweepers. I suck at optimizing my own EVs so I ripped this spread straight off of NLI's awsome RMT. He said "The SDef EVs let him take three Bug Buzzes from Specs Yanmega all the time while surviving two Focus Blasts from Alakazam after SR. The Def EVs let him take two Sharpedo Crunches and his HP is maximised to make him as bulky as possible."

-----------------------
    Threats
    -----------------------

Show Hide

[​IMG]

Quick Feet SD Ursaing can straight up 6-0 me once it sets up. This is mainly due to my lack of Normal resist. What's worse is it can use my own Toxic Spikes against me with Quick Feet. When I see it on team preview I simply avoid getting up Toxic Spikes. I usually hit it while it's setting up Swords Dance. From there I have to wait until the Poison takes it out. Or I *just have to hope Emboar has a Flame Charge under his belt or sun is up by the time Ursaring is sent out.

There are probaly more, but that's all i've ran into.

------------------------
    Conclussion
    ------------------------

Thank you for reading! It was a pleasure buiding this team aswell as writing and formatting this RMT. I'm really looking forward to improving this team so please leave a rate! I especially need help with he EV spreads since I suck at optimizing my own spreads. I thinks it's pretty noteworthy that I sometimes use this team in UU (with Snorlax>Munchlax, Nidoking>Drapion), but it just doesn't work as good in that tier with all the Hail and Sand. With Sawsbuck, Tangrowth, Charizard and Victreebel all possibly dropping into RU, look for a huge spike in sun!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. BTzz

is a Contributor Alumnus

Reserved for stuff
  3. No Luck Involved

No Luck Involved

Hey Brizznetz, nice team! Sun is awesome and criminally overlooked.

Btw I lied because that Munchlax only survives two Focus Blasts from Alakazam without Life Orb and tbh it was just a spread that I cooked up quickly at the time, I should go back and change it. I am still trying to find the best spread for Munchlax too and it is hard because there are so many threats to try to cover. I actually think Munchlax prefers to be more physically defensive because it will never guarantee survival against two LO Focus Blasts after rocks even with max SpDef and the more you lean to the special side the more succeptible you are to Psyshock. Plus Focus Blast may miss once out of two times anyway...

With that in mind I recommend this new spread which is more efficient: 104 HP/224 Def/108 SpDef Careful
    Munchlax will always survive two LO Crunches from Max Atk Sharpedo after rocks (which is an improvement and gives you a solid check to Sharpedo) while you should survive two LO Alakazam Focus Blasts on average, but not counting rocks. Basically, it has marginally less special bulk than what you have now but a lot more physical bulk so it is more well rounded, counters Entei better and still counters what it's supposed to counter (Yanmega yadayadayada). Also I recommend Body Slam on Munchlax simply because it is a great Paralysis spreader and it threatens every non-Ghost special sweeper as much as, if not more, than Rock Slide. Paralysis is generally helpful for your speed oriented team and could prove more useful than outright killing something so I recommend it especially if you are using Rock Slide on Drapion.

If Cresselia is setting up Sun reliably enough, you can even consider dropping Sunny Day on Exeggutor for Sleep Powder. This is because as you said, Emboar is not dependent on Sun and neither is Lilligant. So Exeggutor is the only one that depends on Sun to function properly and Cresselia should be reliable enough for supporting it. Sleep Powder is just such a useful tool and can really screw over the opponent if they have only one counter to Sun sweepers. Speaking of synergy, have you tried a mixed Shiftry over Exeggutor? It should be a more natural partner to Cresselia while Sucker Punch means that it too is not absolutely dependent on Sun which just keeps your team that much more flexible. This set could really work:

Shiftry (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 Atk / 112 SAtk / 144 Spd
    Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
    - Growth
    - Sucker Punch
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Fire] / Low Kick / Brick Break

The last slot is whether you want to roast Ferroseed or hit Munchlax hard. +1 STAB Sucker Punch actually KOes a lot of offensive threats and a +2 in the Sun will see Shiftry sweep nearly everything. 144 Spe EVs are so you outspeed uninvested Cresselia so you know you will outspeed every wall and it outspeeds Ninjask in Sun so it's got all the bases covered.

One final note, how useful has Toxic Spikes been? I can't help but feel that Drapion can be replaced by an SR setter. Gligar would be a really useful addition to the team I think because it can fix up any Fighting weakness you may have while it can also Taunt and Toxic things. It has reliable recovery too so it can form a powerful stalling core with Munchlax while your Sun sweepers tear it up. Sun removes its Water weakness temorarily which always helps and it is already bulky as hell.
  4. Foxy Grandpa

Foxy Grandpa

Hey man, cool team, I really enjoyed playing with sun the last time I actually sat down and battled.

One major thing that I noticed was that if you're unable to get sun up, you're fucked. And while your setters seem very reliable based on your team, it's always great to have a failsafe. That's why I recommend using a Choice Scarf on Emboar instead of a Life Orb. This will give you a failsafe in case you are unable to set sun up, another check to Specs Lens Yanmega locked into Bug Buzz (4x resist). And it allows you to run Superpower safely! I've used him to rank high on the ladder multiple times and he works wonders.

Emboar@Choice Scarf
    evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    nature: Jolly
    move 1: Flare Blitz
    move 2: Superpower
    move 3: Wild Charge
    move 4: Head Smash
  5. BTzz

is a Contributor Alumnus

@ No Luck Involved: thanks for the awsome rate man! Now that you mention it, Body Slam does seem like it would be very useful on Munchlax. I just assumed that it would be useless on a team that was already fast, but I can see all the setup opportunities it could bring. I'll definatly try that out. Shifty sounds like great addtion! The team was in dire need of some priority. I actualy had Shiftry on one of the earilier versions of the team, but dropped him due to synergy problems. But now he fits in great! I see Cress + Shiftry doing some serious work. Gligar is another great suggestion (damn your good). Toxic Spikes are very useful, but Stealth Rock would make sweeping and taking down things a lot easier... Plus I love the idea of a Munchlax + Gligar core.

Anyways, thanks again for the rate. I've got a lot of testing to do when I get some free time!

Edit: I'm probaly going to use that Muchlax spread, but tbh while I'm battling I usually forget what the spreads I'm using are supposed do lol

Double edit:

@ Foxy Grandpa(rofl) Thanks for the rate :). I'm a real fan of Flame Charge Emboar, but Scarf Bacon does seem promising. I have no problems getting sun up, but a scarfer would be useful at times. I'll try it out!
  6. col49

col49 mi amor
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Hiya, very cool team you've got here, Sun far too overlooked as is and I'm to see it getting some recognition. Anywho, the first thing i notice is that you could probably be spreading around your EVs on pokes a bit more, with a handful of your pokes being rather rare in the metagame I don't feel like you need to be limiting yourself to a 4/252/25 spread. For instance, Exeggutor with a spread of 72 Hp/252 SAtk/184 Spd is basically outspeeding everything he would be with his current spread, only with a little more bulk. I would think that Emboar would really appreciate a + Speed nature and 244 Speed EVs, mostly due to the fact that Magic Guard Alakazam has been released recently, which is basically begging for an enormous boon in his usage. Also, I would suggest either running Superpower or Grass Knot over Brick Break, as it really does disappoint when it comes to damage output. Although Grass Knot seems odd at first, even with an Adamant/Jolly Nature it still manages to deal 97.5-114.7% to a 252 Hp/4 SDef Quag, as well as destroying any Rhyperior (though word on the street is that he's getting bumped back up to UU). Anywho, all that's really left to say is that No Luck Involved hit the nail on the head with Gligar. Your team would really appreciate the SR support, and it allows you to ward of a handful of otherwise unmanageable physical threats. I would suggest running the standard bulky spread, though I would reccomend running U-Turn over Knock Off, just because the added momentum and switch advantage is godsend for an offensive team such as this. Anywho, hope I was of assistance in some way, gl and cheers

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)