team Good Game

Team Good Game (plz rate)

Introduction

Hello and welcome to my first RMT. This team has probably been my most successful team by far and the team I spent the most time on. However, after a while I found my team ended up having some random flaws which I don't have the knowledge or experience to correct. Then it hit me why don't I go and ask the rest of Smogon what I did wrong. Now before you get bored and say this guy is sucks, I give you the team:

(Changes in Bold)

The lead

Metagross@lum berry
Clear Body
252hp/252att/6spe
Adamant

Stealth rock
Meteor mash
Bullet punch
Explosion

Well after trying out many leads there was one lead that I kept returning to, if the answer isn't already obvious that Pokemon is metagross. This lead is one of the best IMO. It's bulk makes it incredibly useful, it allows for an easy set-up of stealth rock combine that
with meteor mash and bullet bunch suicide leads are getting 2HKOe'd most of the time. Now add in explosion and you've got one nasty Pokemon. Instead of trying to explain how it works I'm just gonna give you a comparison with the top 10 leads of last month.

Top 10 leads January 2010:

Azelf: Azelf before you die to my meteor mash+bullet punch combo I'm gonna give you a choice, you can either set up SR or taunt me or be unusual and hit me with a fire blast. This is the position most azelf leads are put into when facing metagross.

Metagross: Hmmm this is tricky as I am not running EQ My gross can't touch other metagross's very easily. Normally I'll set up SR than go to gyarados. This one here can be a pain if I predict incorrectly.

Swampert: Ahhh good old pert. Well obviously a certain member of this team isn't particularly fond of pert *cough*jolteon*cough*. Generally I'll just boom from the get go as no one use protect on the first turn. Afterward I'll bring in Jolt to test the water.

Jirachi: Most of the time I'll just SR than switch out after stealing jirachi's pretty scarf.

Aerodactyl: See Azelf.

Infernape: This is where metagross's run of awesomeness ends. Due to me not running EQ and occa berry. This thing will just out speed and OHKO with fire blast. Most of the time I am forced to switch to gyarados.

Roserade: Most roserade dash straight in their and say all metagross's run occa berry and hit me with sleep powder. Then they realize they wasted a turn while I put them down to 1% with meteor mash. This is quickly followed up by BP to finish them off.

Heatran: This is probably the bane of all metagross leads as it outspeeds and can OHKO or 2HKO any variant before it can KO back. Similar to infernape I'm forced to switch in my flying fish to try and threaten this thing out.

Tyranitar: Hey tyranitar do you like eating STAB meteor mash's, "Yummy." You know I don't think this tyranitar is sticking around for long. Only probelm is the unbelievable amount of sets this thing can run when leading.

Gliscor: This really depends what mood I'm in I might boom, I might switch to gyara etc.

The bulky fish

Gyarados@Lefotvers
Intimidate
156hp/110att/100def/144spe
adamant

Dragon dance
Waterfall
Stone edge
Ice fang

Ah good old bulkydos whats not to love about this thing. It's one of my main early game pokes due to it's resistances and bulk. This thing works so well with gross as it can come in on most leads that beat gross and set up with ease. I chose ice fang as I find one of the most common switch ins to gyarados is latias and after a DD ice fang can OHKO non bulky versions. Stone edge gives me a way to beat other gyaras which I run into occasionally with this gyarados. I decided not to run taunt as I find that I njeed the other moves more often than I need to stop someone from roaring me out.

The killer electric

Jolteon@Choice specs
Volt absorb6hp/252spe/252spa
Timid

Thunderbolt
shadow ball
Hidden power (ice)
Baton pass

Charge beam jolteon, I sued to run a specs jolt here but after more testing I found it didn't work out to well and so in went this thing. I've it unbelievably easy to sweep with this thing after the opponent pert/blissey/snorlax/tyranitar is gone. Thunderbolt and shadow ball give me excellent coverage, combine that with HP ice and those dragons and gliscor don't love me anymore(the dragons dont like me anyway but....). Then if I think something will be KO'd with charge beam I'll fire it off and hopefully nab a boost and attempt a sweep. Really after a couple charge beam boost only the aforementioned poke's can stop this thing and then only scarfers can check it. It also has decent synergy with gyara and mence with them taking the ground type attacks aimed at jolt and him taking the electric attacks aimed at gyara.

After a bit of thought and help from some users I have switched back to specsjolt and after the MYSTICgar change it is working brilliantly. However I'm not sure what to run in the third spot as I never use hidden power. I need help here.

The scary mixed dragon

Salamence@life orb
Intimidate
16att/252spe/240spa
Mild

Draco meteor
Fire blast
Earthquake
Outrage

Mixmence the best wall breaker in the game. There is only one pokemon that can repeatedly switch into mence and it just dropped into uu (looks at cresselia). A combination of draco meteor and outrage gives me KO's on just about every wall in the game. Fire blast and EQ give me the ability to kill the pokes that resist my dragon STAB *cough*scizor*cough*. I chose the new mixmence over the old one as I find although the new one lacks survivability and has worse wall breaking capabilities, it more than makes up for it in its ability to sweep late game with outrage and the ability to OHKO heatran. That said this mence is often put into the position of, how many guys can i hit hard before life orb and SR kill me. Most of the time that number is pretty high.

The scout/revenge killer

Scizor@choice band
Technician
248hp/252att/8spe

U-turn
Bullet punch
Superpower
Pursuit

Wait how'd this thing end up on my team. Oh yeah that's right it just did, that is how scizor works you may not want to use him you may get really annoyed at him but he'll end up on most teams regardless. The reason: the excellent utility this set provides, it can scout, it can revenge, it can sweep, it can trap, it can kill blissey.:naughty:
Anyway most of smogon will know how this set works so I'm not gonna bother explaining it*Reads RMT rules*. Well that's a pain, well here goes nothing. This scizor provides me with a salamence check, and allows me to scout with u-turn add in bullet punch and you've got one nasty little poke. BP gives me the ability to sweep late game, and gives me the ninja priority move scizor is infamous for. Is that enough....oh who cares.

The scarfed revenge killer

Gengar@Life orb
Levitate
6hp/252spe/252spa
Timid

Shadow ball
Focus blast
Protest
Hidden power (fire)

Scarfgar, I love this thing. It comes in late game and kills stuff. Whether it be revenge killing or blowing up or just plain sweeping this scarfgar has got it covered. Shadow ball gives me the mandatory STAB, focus blast gives you the coverage and thunderbolt gives you the in the middle move. Now give it BOOM and Gengar hurts. I dont really care too much about this thing dying to scizor as most of the time its done its job before scizor comes out to get it. Thunderbolt also gives me the ability to KO jolly gyarados' who get past jolt and the rest of my team pretty easily.

After a suggestion from snorlax I changed this to MYSTICgar and is working decently, sometimes they have a poke that makes me wish I had scarfgar but most of the time this works better. Anyway, what are your opinions on this?

Team building

Well I knew I wanted to make an offensive team, after a few attempts, I decided that the best way forward was backward and started again. I knew that offensive teams are based around wall breaking so in went the best wall breaker IMO: Mixmence

Then I decided I needed someone to take ice attacks aimed at salamence and I thought why not give the metal bug a try and in he went.

Now I decided I needed another sweeper who could take those fire attacks that scizor hates. Tyranitar, gyarados, heatran, flygon, latias, starmie were all good choices for this so I slowly crossed them off. Tyranitar gives me sandstorm, wait, Salamence doesnt appreciate sand too much as it's already dying fast from SR and LO recoil. Flygon, actually I've never been too fond of flygon and it seemed a little redundant typing wise. Then at this stage I said I need someone to help finish off those walls. Which meant starmie's gone, latias is gone, which leaves us with gyara vs heatran and after some thought I went down the gyara route.

Now I needed someone to sweep with gyara and take the electric attacks aimed at him. Again I had multiple choices: electivire, flygon, jolteon, Raikou, Latias, dugtrio and magnezone. Again I had to shorten this list. Flygon went out, raikou went out, dugtrio is fail IMO, same with Electivire, which left me with magnezone, jolteon and latias. Magnezone doesn't fit this team as scizor's BP (which is sent at mence) is set up bait for my gyara. So I had a choice latias vs jolteon again I thought hard and found latias still takes quite a beating from electric attacks and seeing as electric is often accompanied by ghost attacks, latias went out. So in came the charged cat.

Now I had a nice core of pokemon. At the moment I needed a lead a stealth rocker and a rock resist. I also wanted another electric resist as jolt doesn't have too much survivability. After a while I found swampert who fit the bill perfectly.

The sort of as an after thought I put in scarfgar who has fulfilled its duty time and time again.

However after a bit of testing I found that swampert wasn't quite living up to my expectations and I thought an extra dragon resist would be nice. After a lot of competition due to the electric resist vs the dragon resist I finally settled on metagross.

Then after a bit more testing I changed jolteon from the specs set to the charge beam set. Almost immediately i found an increase in jolt's versatility and so I stayed with the new set. Also I found that HP ice on gengar wasn't used much and seemed almost useless. So after I while I replaced it with explosion.

Conclusion

This team is an offensive team which fits my style of play. The point of the team is to have every poke ready to sweep after its counter has gone down. Its not a team that is designed to let loose sdluke or empoleon or some other late game sweeper its just designed to sweep with whoever is more ready for the job. Well I hope you enjoy this RMT.

Thanks, NightmareZ

Well, well, well this is a great team to be hinest with you. I had to skim through a good few times to find something to nip pick on. It was hard but I did find a few things.

Metgross-Never used him but it looks like a standard lead.
Gyarados-Fine.
Jolteon-My favorite pokemon eva! But anyway, what to people find so good about this life orb set? It doesn't suit him! I tryed it and trust me choice specs is much better believe me.
Salamemce-Egh. Not too flattered by this one really. I preffer the dragon dance set but it is still a good set.
Scizor-Fine.
Gengar-OK, why don't you give gengar a life orb with timid nature. It would work better.

That probabley isn't even a good rate but still I really like you team.

Hope I helped.

Glad you like my team. Yeah gross is standard but that is for a reason. Without mixmence stall walks all over me so this guy is pretty important. If I ran specs jolt and LOgar like you suggested, it would leave me without a scarfer but it could work ill test it out and get back to you.

NightmareZ

Team Adjustments:

Gyarados - I suggest moving those Def EVs to Gyarados' Attack. The reason is that you want to be as powerful as possible to assure sweep. You don't want things like Rotoms to wall you...

Jolteon - Replace HP Ice for HP Grass. Your team severely fears Swamperts. While Thunderbolt does just as fine with SR up (as it gets STAB boost).

Salamence - Change your Salamence's EVs. Your Salamence is unable to defeat Blissey at all. Outrage is very weak with only 16 Atk EVs. Go with the below set, it's much better:

Salamence @ Life Orb
Nature: Rash
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ Brick Break
~ Roost

Gengar - As much as you love Scarf Gengar is a very feeble. Not only is it unable to sweep (as most Pursuitters would just Pursuit you) it won't be helping you sweep. I suggest going with Life Orb Gengar (Gengar is fast, there's no reason to make it faster and let it be weak to Pursuit). While you have Jolteon for those DD Gyarados. And CB Bullet for Salamences.

Gyara: I think this moveset is fine at the moment

Jolteon: yes perts that arent leading hust this team real bad especially roar versions but without HPice i lose coverage on the dragons and gliscor.

Salamence: stall vs offense, your want me to run the anti-stall mence, at the moment im running the offense mixmence. But my mence can still give stall are beating as blissey isnt there first switch in to mence.

Gengar: what set do you recommend for LOgar. Also scarfgar is more of a late game cleaner than sweeper. If i do make the change to LOgar, agiligross destroys this team as after one agility it outspeeds and OHKOs every member of my team

You're heatran weak. Your entire team gets 2hko'd by fireblast. I also don't like how you have 2 SR weaks with such similar resistances. I think the best thing to do in your situation is to switch gyara with vaporeon or suicune. Regardless of what poke you choose, make sure you have HP electric on it as you are reliant on the frail jolteon along with the equally weak and pursuit weak gengar to be your gyara counter right now. Your options would be to use CM suicune with 3 attacks and lefties, crocune without sleep talk and with hp electric instead, or the standard vappy set.

If you choose suicune with 3 attacks, it would probably be best for you to keep the gengar set you have now as you'll at least have a revenge killer if heatran continuously works cune down. Gengar is pursuit weak though. Alternatively you can use vappy and turn gengar into a LO set with HP fire, shadow ball, explosion and focus blast. This would force your opponent to predict as much as you do to pursuit kill it. It aslo gives you an option to predict and explode on blissey against stall. I think this may be the better option of the two, but it's your call.

One last thing, I would definitely go with arin's advice and use classic mixmence over new mixmence. It's just nice to have that recovery move to go along with that nuking power. It also never gets stuck in outrage and gives you another luke counter.

Good luck with the team, hope I helped.

Thanks for the comments. Anyway, suicune has been suggested to me before. So which set should I test? Vaporeon might work but if I do run it I think roost on salamence might not be worth it.

If heatran fire blasts on the gyara switch-in I'll outspeed and OHKO unless its scarfed. Then mence can come in and take it out with EQ. So really it's not much of a problem.

Also on the mence issue I consider lucario, empoleon and heatran more threatening than blissey. And I find that I don't get the chance to roost very often as most of the time I'd rather be hitting the switch in hard. Also I don't use outrage until they have 2 or 3 pokes left and then only if one poke is unknown or if mence will die regardless.

So what sets should I test for suicune and gengar, and should I run a different jolt or mence set. Your help is greatly appreciated

NightmareZ

The problem is, scarftran is still the most popular set for heatrans, so you still have a huge problem. On mence, I don't think vappy and roost would be overly repetitive because you have to keep in mind that mence is still your only fighting resist and that it takes SR damage on every switch. You'll not get a chance t pass a wish off to mence every time you feel like it.

If you run suicune, I would either go with

Timid nature, 252 sp.atk, 252 speed, 4 HP
@leftovers
-surf/hydropump
-Calm Mind
-HP electric
-Ice Beam

or

Bold Nature, 252 HP, 248 Defense, 8 speed
@leftovers
-HP electric
-rest
-calm mind
-surf

I personally prefer the former if you're using scarfgar. I would still prefer the vappy with LO gar though.

Actually that heatran just took out one poke, which isn't really destroying the team. Although I just did a calc and gyarados is only 3HKO'd after one switch-into SR. Although I will test offensivecune with scarfgar and vaporeon with LOgar. However should I run MYSTICgar or just normal LOgar.

Keep up the rates

NightmareZ

Hmmm sorry for that, I didn't know that bulky gyara could take that. You still only get 2 switch ins though if it's worth anything.

I like any non-choiced gengar with explosion really for this team.

Don't worry about it. But offensive cune took less than the 25% to 31% that bulky gyara took. So a gengar like:

Gengar@life orb
levitate
6hp/252spe/252spa
timid

Shadow ball
Focus blast
Thunderbolt
Explosion

I'll test it out when I get the chance. Then after I've decided on the bulky water of choice, I'll try out classic mixmence although STAB'd outrage is more powerful than super effective brick break. But the main argument is the lack of lock in. So I'll try it anyway.

Anyone else got any ideas.

NightmareZ

you're slightly empoleon weak, as the standard agility subpetaya version can set up on metagross, gyarados, and scizor if its locked into bullet punch or pursuit.

you definitely need to put a life orb on gengar, because otherwise CBtar/scizor owns it. even worse, a DDtar with babiri berry hits your team pretty hard, especially if it has stone edge and fire punch. Might want to try MYSTICgar, as protect really helps to scout choice scarfers and HP fire scores helpful KOes on stuff like forretress and lucario without relying on focus blast's shaky accuracy.

personally, i dont think you need ice fang on gyarados at all. stone edge and waterfall have great coverage, and the only thing that really stops both is breloom. I prefer to use taunt on bulkydos because it allows you to set up on stuff like skarmory and prevent setup from stuff like kingdra. Just an idea.

I second the idea of testing out classic mixmence. You're trading offensive potential for longevity and stall-breaking power. Try it and see if it works with your team.

Its a very good team though, and Im happy to have helped inspire it. Hope my comments help.

Yes I played a match against an opponent (corndog I think) and I was up 3/1 then he swept with his last unrevealed poke, Empoleon. Do you have a way of stopping said empo. I'll test MYSTICgar ASAP because I think it will work nicely as it might open up a sala sweep.

Also I have ice fang because of latias as it seems to be one of the first switch-ins to gyara but I'll test taunt anyway.

So things I'm testing:

new to classic mixmence
scarfgar to MYSTICgar
Taunt over ice fang on gyara

Yes it was a combination of your team, my own ideas (pokes I want to use) and pana's team.

Guys before I die of annoyance someone tell me why posts in RMT are deleted the moment I log off!!!!!

NightmareZ

You have a huge weakness to Tyranitar in general; everything on your team is either OHKOed by Stone Edge or takes 60% on the switch in (the reason that I'm not including Metagross in this is because Tyranitar will usually pop up mid-game, when Metagross is likely to be dead from Explosion). I honestly don't see why you have Gengar on this team. MysticGar is a Scizor lure and I really don't see what can benefit from Scizor being out of play. Gyarados sets up on Scizor, Jolteon can't be revenged unless it's sitting at 30%, Scizor resists 75% of its own moveset and Salamence can destroy Scizor if it decides to switch in. What you need is a check to SD Scizor, Dragon Dancers and Swords Dance Lucario, so I recommend using:

Jirachi @Choice Scarf | Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd | Jolly Nature
Iron Head | Fire Punch | Ice Punch | Trick/U-turn

With Jirachi, you can prevent a shitload of Pokemon from potentially screwing you over. Trick can help with stall, but U-turn can help get your other pokes in safely and prevent Magnezone from trapping you easily.

Hmmm jirachi over gengar.

I like this idea.

Although I have tested different gengar sets and really the only other worthwhile one's are scarfgar and LOgar.

Normally against TTar I sacrifice something to kill with scizor and/or gross. But if its baribii ddtar and metagross is down they have a sweep. I'll test that jirachi set over gengar. Then I'll test normal LOgar or subspecial gar?

Thanks oxy,

NightmareZ

If you're testing Gengar again, go for SubSpecial with Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Focus Blast. Only ScarfTar is going to use Pursuit tbh.

yea, swampert gives this team troubles
but if you make jolteon have HP grass over HP ice, then you have other troubles with gliscor and dragons (minus kingdra)

gengar seems to be the weak point of this team, you could replace him with nasty plot infernape

Infernape@life orb
naive
252/192/64 (Sp.ATK/SPE/ATK)
Nasty Plot
Close Combat
Fire Blast
Grass Knot

fairly standard but it revenge kills swampert amazingly well (i'm pretty sure grass knot is a OHKO on any swampert when running max Sp.ATK EVs) and does get rid of pretty much any wall you want after 1 nasty plot

it's the best choice i can give you, but it's not the safest choice as it only serves as a revenge killer and wall breaker, but if you choose to replace anyone, gengar should be the one you replace

MYSTICgar just isn't very good anymore. No smart player is going to leave their Scizor in after you protect so I'd just use Substitute over Protect if you want to lure and kill Scizor. Another thing you could do is switch Gengar to a set that can beat Blissey without having to explode, so:

Gengar@Life Orb
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Timid Nature
-Pain Split
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

Blissey has a hard time beating this Gengar because after two pain splits it can be put in range for the 2hko by Focus Blast. Shadow Ball + Focus Blast gives perfect neutral coverage btw. The only drawback to using this set over your current one is that you can't OHKO Scizor but Focus Blast still 2hkos so it shouldn't be too big of a deal

gl

May I pint out that you CAN'T put pain split on gengar yet!!!!!! It has been suggested to me before and you CAN'T run pain split!!! Have you ever tried that gengar? No, didn't think so.

Anyway I might try ape but I'm not sure, so I'm trying gengar with LO set and subspecial set, and scarfrachi and nasty plot mixape (what do you think of specially-based mixape?)

Sorry if I was too harsh but I really hate it when people do things like that.

Also any help about the moveset choice on jolt as I really never use hidden power.

And about pert, I'll tell you my normal reactions to a pert switch in:

metagross: boom dead pert
Gyarados: dd, waterfall than use whoever he roared in to finish up.
Jolteon: switch to someone, this is the problem
Mence: meteor than clean up after he roars or SR
Scizor: the other problem this is similar to jolt
Gengar: attack with shadow ball

Yes so it is a bit of a problem but really it's not often used on teams when its not leading.

NightmareZ

What do you mean you can't run Pain Split..? To answer you question, yes I have been using that Gengar for about a week now. If the move isn't showing up on the teambuilder you might need to create a new team because Pain Split is a HG/SS tutor move.

As for Jolteon, you could try Signal Beam as it OHKOs Celebi (Shadow Ball only does 57.9% - 68.3%) or maybe even Wish but I would honestly just use HP Grass because it's nice to know that you're able to one shot Pert even if you don't usually need to.

Personally if I can run pain split I dont think it's worth it and I think I'll probably just go to standad gar with hypnosis or subspecial with hypnosis.

Anyway seriously as if I'll ever get a pert with hp although that would be pretty cool

NightmareZ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)