1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Team Ivycraft

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by CharlieTheHitchhiker, Aug 15, 2013.

1. CharlieTheHitchhiker

CharlieTheHitchhiker

Goal of my team? Three Defensive Pokemon to wall as much as possible, 3 Offensive Pokemon to sweep any wall/support on the OU Threat List

MaxTheSelk
    [​IMG]
    Politoed@Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    Calm Nature
    252HP 252Def 4SpD
    Scald
    Ice Beam
    Perish Song
    Hypnosis
    An unpredicted set, as most Politoeds are sweepers, I use this much like Gyarados. Perish song to Phaze, and it, overall, defends my team from fire-types with Drizzle. But... Oh Politoed, if only you had Heal Bell or Aromatherapy...

NYbeast
    [​IMG]
    Dragonite@Life Orb
    Trait: Multiscale
    Mild Nature
    76Atk 252SpA 180Spe
    Hurricane
    Aqua Tail
    Thunder
    Extremespeed

Although Dragonite's Multiscale is pretty useless with Life Orb, it allows for more power. With amazing mixed attacking stats (323/328/241), he is, in my opinion the best rain sweeper. Hurricane has Stab and 100% Accuracy (Not to mention amazing power), Aqua Tail has a Rain Boost and nice power, Thunder has 100% Now, and destroys water Types (Although Magnezone does that too), and Extremespeed is the best priority move in the game, obviously. Pretty much the star of my team.

Flotinhaus
    [​IMG]
    Mamoswine@Focus Sash
    Trait: Thick Fat
    Jolly Nature
    4HP 252Atk 252Spe
    Icicle Crash
    Ice Shard
    Earthquake
    Endeavor

Mamoswine is my strongest offensively, but hates being poisoned or burned. That's seriously his only problem. Apart for that, switch-ins are annoying but I'm able to go around them. Even Milotic hates Earthquakes, and once Milotic surfs him, he can use Endeavor.

Narniaboy1
    [​IMG]
    Magnezone@Choice Scarf
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    Timid Nature
    252SpA 4SpD 252Spe
    Thunder
    Flash Cannon
    Volt Switch
    HP Fire

My trapper, this can 2-3HKO any Steel Type and wall most hits back. However, the annoying +2 Brick Break or Superpower Scizor seriously damages it, usually KOing Narniaboy1. Apart for that, most Scizors aren't a problem, as most sets have little to no SpD Evs put in. The only problem is that I usually send it in too early and it faints.

Tuma453
    [​IMG]
    Ferrothorn@Shed Shell
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    Relaxed Nature
    252HP 88Def 168SpD
    Power Whip
    Gyro Ball
    Leech Seed
    Stealth Rocks

Sort of useless on my team, as I have Gyarados to take hits from pretty much anything Ferrothorn will and more. However, since he's so slow, I use him against Trick Room teams, where Gyro Ball is the deadliest weapon alive. Apart from that, I'd like to replace him.

Miniminymo
    [​IMG]
    Sabeleye@Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    Calm Nature
    252HP 4Def 252SpD
    Night Shade
    Taunt
    Will-O-Wisp
    Recover

Always one of my favourite pokemon, now Sableye is usable due to Prankster! Sporting 3 immunities, I knew I had to use it on this team, especially since I need a Fighting counter (Gyarados works too.) When I predict a Physical Attacker coming on, I switch over and Will-O-Wisp it. Seriously, I love this little guy.

So that's my team.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    scotti likes this.
  2. AOPSUser

AOPSUser

-Gyarados isn't really a wall, it's just used as a bulky pivot and check to certain Pokemon. I would recommend Leftovers over Life Orb.

-You already have a Leech Seeder in Ferrothorn, so Mamoswine might be a better choice than Abomasnow. Not only does it not summon Hail (which your team hates), but it is a lot more powerful, and has Ice Shard as well. It also has Thick Fat, which lets it take a Fire-type attack here and there.

-Usually you shouldn't lead off with an attacker or sweeper (no one leads with their Breloom, for example). Otherwise, your Hydreigon looks nice, but a Choice item might be better for Hydreigon, to either let it kill more stuff, or to let it revenge kill.

-All Scizor are huge problems for your Magnezone, since about 90% of them run Superpower. Since you run no speed EVs, Scizor outspeeds your Magnezone. You have Gyarados, which can take hits from it, but I would consider using some Speed EVs on Magnezone (at least enough to outspeed standard Scizor).

-Ferrothorn is the most useful Pokemon on your team. Leech Seed is really annoying when coming from Ferrothorn. Gyro Ball, on the other hand, doesn't really do much. I would consider replacing Gyro Ball with something like Protect, Thunder Wave, or Stealth Rock. Also, I assume you mean 168 SpD?

-Foul Play doesn't really OHKO anything in OU. Even Darmanitan manages to avoid being KOed. Against about half of OU, Sableye's Night Shade deals more damage than Foul Play. It's slower, but it's more consistent, and it doesn't do 7-9% to Skarmory.
  3. CharlieTheHitchhiker

CharlieTheHitchhiker

Derp, I didn't write it correctly, it's 168 SpD and 4 SpD, 252 Spe.

Mammoswine I like. And do you think Choice Specs would work for Hydreigon?

Eh. I'm thinking about giving it Toxic instead of Foul Play for walls.
  4. Skarm™

Skarm™

If you have Mamoswine with a Focus Sash, run Endeavor so it can do endeavor at one health then ice shard :)
  5. CharlieTheHitchhiker

CharlieTheHitchhiker

Good idea, thanks!
  6. CharlieTheHitchhiker

CharlieTheHitchhiker

How isn't Hydreigon a sweeper? It has nice speed and coverage. Also, Mamoswine is a sweeper. I'll add to the descriptions, although I can't add much for Mamoswine yet.

Also, should I switch Gyarados for Quagsire in case of setup sweepers? Unaware orotects it from those. Plus, Hydreigon has a ground immunity and Sableye fighting, while Quagsire would give me a nice Electric Immunity and only the grass weakness, which I can switch out to Ferrothorn or Hydreigon for.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  7. Pdizzle

Pdizzle

No, hydreigon isn't a sweeper. a sweeper isn't a pokemon that can be so easily revenged kill and have a poor speed of 98. Hydreigon is most definitely a wall breaker. Firstly, for hydreigon, I would advise switching earthquake with dark pulse. Then again, this is your choice but I think earthquake is more reliable in taking out threats like heatran who can basically do work against your whole team if gyarados is gone. i would also consider life orb over expert belt for extra damage.

Secondly, I advise switching your choice scarf magnezone with magneton. Magneton is faster and can outspeed 130s however doing this can notify your opponent that ur trapper is scarfed.

I'm also not a fan of the gyarados set. Your team is a weak to opposing weather teams, especially sun where most chlorophyll sweepers can wreak havoc through your whole team. I would advise switching gyarados to either politoed or hippowdon. both can easily deal with baton pass teams with perish song and whirlwind. hippowdon has reliable recovery and is a defensive beast while politoed can help mitigate your fire weakness.

My last suggestion would be to switch your mamoswine set. I really am not a fan of it. I think focus sash mamoswine is only good when it has stealth rocks however a sweeping mamo is best with adamant nature and life orb. If you want to keep focus sash, i advise switching icicle crash with stealth rocks.

With mamo now the stealth rock users, i strongly adivse you switching ferrothorn for a physically defensive celebi. this can help again with your fighting weakness
  8. CharlieTheHitchhiker

CharlieTheHitchhiker

Dark Pulse is my most reliable attack, and since Hydreigon has much better special attack, I won't switch it. However, do you think Earth Power would be good over Superpower?

For Magneton, I'll try it, it seems pretty good.

I'll try Politoed, since it'll REEALLY help my team with fire and boost thunder to 100% Accuracy, VERY nice suggestion.

The Mamoswine set I won't do because Ferrothorn sets up rocks, but I might switch to an offensive set, I'll test it out.

Thanks!
  9. CharlieTheHitchhiker

CharlieTheHitchhiker

Politoed worked out, although Magneton didn't. However, I also changed Hydreigon for Dragonite, and I love the change.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)