1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Team Kitty! (now with 100% more Liepard)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Sweep, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Sweep

Sweep
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Introduction:

Hi everyone! This is my first RMT on this site, and I expect that many will be surprised at this team's success. I am currently laddered (53-12 record) with a team that lacks a Stealth Rocker, a Rapid Spinner, OR an Extremekiller counter. I have achieved this success in large part due to Liepard! Its ability to frustrate an opponent to no end while preventing entry hazards from coming up on my side of the field has proved invaluable to the success of this team. Though this isn't my best team (the sun team I stole from HackHeMust is probably my best...have won 20 in a row with that one), I enjoy using this one bcause of Kitty, Specs Ogre, and the most underrated late-game sweeping tandem in Ubers
    Team at a glance:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Team in-depth:

Liepard @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Prankster
    252 HP, 4 Defense, 252 Special Defense
    Nature: Careful
    -Taunt
    -Foul Play
    -Swagger
    -Thunder Wave

The mighty Liepard! This thing can shut down entry hazard setters such as Deoxys-S and Custap berry Forry with priority Taunt, as well as lead Darkrai. It can Thunder Wave stuff like lead Scarfogre or Genesect. From there, it can use Swagger to boost its opponent’s attack to +2 while simultaneously confusing it. If Kitty gets some luck, it can proceed to use STAB Foul Play (something Thundurus does not have) to maul the opponent with their own boosted attack. With hax, you can rinse and repeat and make your opponent want to strangle you through your computer screen.

The EV’s allow it to take Darkrai’s special attacks, barring Focus Blast. It can also handle weak attacks like Tentacruel’s Scald. This does not counter Specs Kyurem-W. Because Foul Play is its only attack, it does not need attack investment. Likewise, Kitty doesn’t need speed because it is fast enough to outrun many base 90’s, such as support Dialga, even without investment. It only needs speed for Foul Play anyway. One final perk that Kitty offers is the ability to stop sweepers dead in their tracks with T-Wave (except Ekiller). Kitty does hate Arceus though.

Wailord Plus (Kyogre) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Drizzle
    240 HP, 252 Special Attack, 16 Speed
    Nature: Modest
    -Water Spout
    -Thunder
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam

Kyogre sets up rain so that Latios can spam Thunder and Omastar can dominate late-game. A Specs set allows it to hit many of its common switchins, such as Latias, Ferrothorn, and Giratina for excellent damage. Only Light Screen specially defense Latias can beat this, and if I see Kyogre only doing ~50% to Latias with Ice Beam, I immediately switch to Genesect and play around the Light Screen for 5 turns. Water Spout nukes almost everything if Kyogre moves first, and Surf also hits hard.

16 speed EV’s allow it to speed creep most uninvested or lightly invested base 90’s, such as Support Dialga and Groudon. The 240 HP is important, as it allows Kyogre to survive longer and keep the rain up for as long as possible. My goodness; this thing 2HKO’s CHANSEY with Water Spout; I don’t see why people use Scarf over this apart from the fact that Scarf is better late game.

Michael Bay (Genesect)
    Ability-Download
    252 Attack, 4 Special Attack, 252 Speed
    Nature: Naïve
    Choice Scarf

-U-turn
    -Explosion
    -Ice Beam
    -Iron Head

Part one of my late-game sweeping duo. With Liepard’s ability to keep hazards off the field, Genesect is free to come and go as it pleases. It can also Explode on something like Ho-Oh or full-health Kyogre if I really need to. Download and 120 base attack give Genesect terrific attacking power, and it muscles its way through threats that Omastar and Kyogre struggle against, like Latias and Latios. Iron Head is cool to spam late-game if I get the opportunity.

If I see Choice Scarf Terrakion, which beats most of my team, I try to keep Genesect’s health at or near 100% throughout the match so I can beat it one on one. Outrunning most scarfers except the mediocre Scarf Palkia, Salamence, Garchomp, and the aforementioned dangerous Terrakion is a trait I value, as Omastar cannot outrun stuff like Scarf Kyurem-W without a Shell Smash boost. Genesect is simply awesome.

[​IMG]
    Death Star (Omastar) @ Life Orb
    Ability-Swift Swim
    4 HP, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
    Nature: Modest
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Earth Power
    -Shell Smash

Part two of my late-game cleaning duo. I call it “Genestar,” and it is simply terrific at cleaning up the mess my other mons left behind. Omastar can switch in on Choice scarfed Ice Beams aimed at Latios or Fire Blasts aimed at Genesect and set up a Shell Smash. Because of the lack of hazards on this team, Omastar cannot smash early game as Palkia, Arceus-Water, Mono-Ogre, specially defensive Ferro etc. can stomach Omastar’s attack at full health. Late-game though, this thing only needs a little passive damage to wipe out everything in its path.

It is strong even without the Shell Smash though, OHKOing Mewtwo and Darkrai with its ridiculously powerful Hydro Pump. It can even OHKO 4/0/0 ARCEUS with a good damage roll. Because of this, it can check Extremekiller. That alone makes Omastar worth using. Its ability to deal with scarfless Shaymin-S and Ho-Oh lacking earthquake makes it even cooler. Sadly, Earth Power sucks against anything not named Tentacruel and Dialga. Hydro Pump tends to miss at the worst times. Finally, Omastar has pretty poor special bulk, so it cannot take strong neutral attacks well at all (except against Sand teams). Still, if used properly, I can usually take at least 2 pokemon out with this thing.

Latios @ Soul Dew
    Ability: Levitate
    4 HP, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
    Nature: Timid

-Magic Coat
    -Draco Meteor
    -Thunder
    -Psyshock

Magic Coat is another gimmicky way of keeping hazards off my side of the field. No one expects it the first time they see it, and the 2nd time they play me I tend not to use it as they will try to play around it. Latios is here to break stall teams that Extremekiller and Omastar have problems with. Draco Meteor murders Giratina, Psyshock hits pink blobs very hard and Thunder can help Latios beat Lugia and spread paralysis if I get lucky. These three attacking moves make Grass Knot and Surf largely unnecessary, and HP Fire is not powerful in Rain and causes me to lose speed ties to other max base 110’s.

Latios beats Scarf Terrakion, Lustrous Orb Palkia, Lugia, Choice Band Zekrom, and other major threats to my team. It also baits Choice Scarfed Ice Beams, which allow Omastar to easily get up a smash. Levitate grants Latios an immunity to Earthquake and all hazards except Stealth Rock. Latios is a terrific mid-game wrecker and is one of the best attackers in Ubers right now.

Extremekiller (Arceus-Normal) @ Lum Berry
    Ability-Multitype
    76 HP, 252 Attack, 180 Speed
    -Extremespeed
    -Brick Break
    -Swords Dance
    -Shadow Claw

I am not afraid to show this early and set up if the opportunity arises, as this thing can end games by itself if the opponent makes a mistake or if an incoming Will-O-Wisp misses Arceus the first time. Much as Latios takes on Stall, this takes on hyper-offensive exceptionally well, picking off weakened stuff like Blaziken and Rayquaza. Lum Berry is great for protection against the already inaccurate WOW. It also shields Arceus from Toxic Spikes should they be up.

Thoughts/suggestions? I am thinking of putting Stealth Rock over Brick Break on Arceus for surprise hazards (to troll Magic Bounce teams), but that makes my team even weaker to Ferrothorn than it already is. Stealth Rock anywhere would be great, even though my team hasn’t needed it all that often.
  2. IAmAnHero

IAmAnHero

This team is pretty cool. I like how you used Liepard and Magic Coat on Latios.

I suppose you could replace Shadow Claw with Stealth Rock on Arceus because Kyogre, Omastar, and Latios can deal with Giratina and Giratina O pretty well. I think Arceus might be able to beat Lugia with boosted Extremespeed and I know Omastar and Kyogre can kill him as well. Replacing Shadow Claw does give you a bigger weakness to Arceus Ghost though.

I can't really think of ways to improve this team without replacing Liepard which I don't want to do because then this would no longer be Team Kitty. I'll test this team later tonight and see if I can figure anything out and then I'll report back here with my findings.
  3. Hack

Hack formerly Hack He Must
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

As I have told you before, SR Scarf Terrakion can be used over Genesect, because of its tendency to cause many switches. Genesect is such a good mon though, so it might be hard to replace. I'd suggest getting rid of Magic Coat on Latios, even if it's incredibly cool and stuff. Hidden Power Fire or even Roost could be used (especially the latter, as Terrakion is a big problem to the team, and Roost let's it tank some CC hits at the very least).

Change you spread on E-killer, there is no reason to invest that much in speed anymore since the metagame is much more har hitting here in BW2. Use almost max HP with a little speed if you want. Or you can use Anik's secret spread... I'll give it to you on PS later if you want.

I also know you have changed to Surf on Omastarm which is another change I support since it becomes more consistent.

I'd speed creep Kyogre a bit more, since Ho-oh are usually speed crept a lot. Idk about Liepard, but since it can't take many hits and has a sash, why not go max speed to hit faster with Foul Play, it is after all 106 base speed.

Cool team, and good luck Sweep!
  4. IAmAnHero

IAmAnHero

I agree with everything Hack says. The team is really fun to use so good job for making an enjoyable team.
  5. Sweep

Sweep
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Thanks for the feedback guys!
  6. scorpdestroyer

scorpdestroyer is a pious radio
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

My two cents: try Substitute on Liepard to make things easier to play around, protect it from status and have a back-up in case hax doesn't go your favour, and replace the sash with Leftovers, because Sub+Sash is stupid. Otherwise I think this team is pretty cool, and Liepard is always an infuriating opponent to face.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)