1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Team my hard drive broke and I made this

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Moose V, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Moose V

Moose V

[​IMG]
    How the fuck does a hard drive break down at 6 months old? Anyway here's an NU team I made. It's been pretty effective and I'm pretty happy with it considering I'm a pretty NU player and this is my first NU RMT. I'm gonna refer to each member by the letter you see next to them below so my hand doesn't explode.

Here's the team:
    R[​IMG] |M[​IMG]|G[​IMG] |E[​IMG]|A[​IMG] |S[​IMG]

This team has 2 primary win conditions. Against more defensive teams, I usually work towards wearing down the opposing pokemon with hazards while preventing them from keeping theirs for very long. This style of play involves a ton of switching and lots of taunt using. For this play-style, M spinblocks, F generates momentum and helps stop bulkier set up pokes w/ trick, W spins, R sets up spikes, S traps spin blockers, and G sets up rocks. Against more offense-based teams, I the team can have different roles: M shuts down things like choice banded sawk and primeape, F picks off threats and can potentially sweep, W absorbs physical hits M can't, R takes special hits relatively well and can shut down potent threats like ludicolo, S also picks off threats and G can take hits from things like swellow and dish out heavy damage.

Rose B4 Hoes [R]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Natural Cure
    IVs: 0 Atk
    EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpD / 52 Def / 8 Spe

These EVs give R enough special bulk such that a timid life orb ludicolo's ice beam is a 3HKO at best and R has enough defense to survive 2 crunchs/poison jabs from skuntank
    Calm Nature (+SpD -Atk)
    Spikes / Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain / Rest
    From what I knew about NU, I kinda got the sense that R was a little underated as a spikes setter. As a UU player, I wanted to try out roserade's common set but on something that actually has the bulk to make it work. With rest, this thing can stay alive for quite some time and continue to do its job, unlike other spikers like scolipede and glalie. The main reason why R works so well is that many of the common walls like alomomola, tangela, wartortle, and misdreavus (without taunt) give R a completely free switch-in and since natu's pretty rare and I have a spinblocker, that means every time my opponent goes into one of these pokes, they get a near permanent layer of spikes added to their side of the field.
    Synergy:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mrs. Dreavus [M]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe

These EVs pretty much just max out M's defense, nothing special here
    Bold Nature (+Def -Atk)
    Shadow Ball / Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split
    Another poke that I thought was underated in NU, defensive M found its way onto my team. With immunity to ground, normal and fighting and access to will-o-wisp, why would you not use this thing defensively? It just shuts down most fighting types, easily stops armaldo, wartortle and torkoal from spinning, and stops things from setting up hazards/stops status-inducing moves with taunt. Shadow ball's there for a STAB attack and pain split's there just to keep M around a little longer.
    Synergy:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rock Block [G]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sturdy
    EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe

These EVs maximize G attack power while also giving him some nice bulk to take hits from the likes of swellow and braviary
    Adamant Nature (+Atk - SpA)
    Stealth Rocks / Earthquake / Rock Blast / Sucker Punch
    G comes in on the walls that R can't as easily, including miltank, lickilicky, audino, togetic, regirock and torkoal. With sturdy, G's nearly guaranteed to get up rocks, which, as long as M is around, will be pretty much permanent. I believe that every team should have a ground type if possible, and G fits in perfectly.
    Synergy:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Light Year [E]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vital Spirit
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD

Pretty self explanatory EVs, standard scarf shit
    Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
    Volt Switch / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice / Focus Blast
    I'm not sure how, but I literally missed 4 air slashes in a row with various F's on other teams. I had the replays to prove it but, unfortunately, my hard drive fucked the pooch. Now that I've got that mini-story out of the way, on to the analysis of this guy. With a base speed stat of 86, R-F can not only outspeed but also ohko other scarfers like sawk and braviary. R-F, like other rotoms, is also decently bulky and, combined with pretty good defensive typing, can come in on more hits than other scarfers and threaten something out. Volt switch is just the icing on the cake. I've considered replacing him with electabuzz so suggestions about this would be appreciated. CHANGED TO ELECTABUZZ
    Synergy:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wishful Thinking [A]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Torrent
    EVs: 100 HP / 252 Def / 156 SpD

The EVs help take some physical ad special hits that M and R can't, especially from charizard
    Bold Nature (+Def -Atk)
    Waterfall / Wish / Toxic / Protect
    Definitely taking suggestions for this guy, especially for the last moveslot. Unfortunately, W doesn't get roar like its evolution, so haze tries to make up for that but tbh I don't find it super useful. I've considered foresight but since W already takes on golurk well and S takes on other ghost types, I don't really see the need. I really just needed a good spinner and ice resist for this slot and something else to take hits that a few of my bulkier pokes can't. Otherwise, W doesn't do much. Changed to Alomomola
    Synergy:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Seismophobia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aftermath
    EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe

I really just picked these EVs with no rhyme or reason. I'm not sure exactly what 132 speed EVs do for me but I'd gladly take suggestion for an EV spread
    Adamant Nature (+Atk -SpA)
    Sucker Punch / Pursuit / Poison Jab / Taunt
    This thing is just good. It patched up my dark/ghost weakness, provided another excellent priority user, helped me with special psychic-type sweepers that R couldn't handle and stopped anything preventing W from spinning. There's also a plethora of ghost and psychic types in the tier, meaning S is constantly useful.
    Synergy:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Conclusion:
    On the account I've been playing with this team, I'm 20-2 in NU right now, which I'd say is pretty successful for playing in a tier I'm pretty new to. With 5 out of my 6 pokes in some way fighting the hazard war, it is essential that this team gets them up ASAP and prevents the opponent from putting theirs up for as long as possible. If I can get max hazards up, R-S usually has enough power to get me the win from there. I'm not gonna post a full threats list because NU is filled with too many of them to do so, but I will say that jynx gives this team a lot of trouble. My one ice resist can't touch it if it has sub, it gets to put something to sleep for free, my scarfer does only like 55% to it, it outspeeds everything else and my specially defensive wall can't handle it very well. Thankfully, it's stealth rock weak and I have 2 super effective priority moves to hit it with, which is usually how I take it out. But ya I don't think jynx should be NU cuz it doesn't really have any solid counters even in such a huge tier but I can eventually handle it, just with a bit of difficulty.

Please feel free to rate, suggest, like or import :)
    Show Hide

Rose B4 Hoes (Roselia) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 SDef / 4 Spd / 52 Def
    Calm Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Spikes
    - Rest

Mrs. Dreavus (Misdreavus) (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Pain Split
    - Shadow Ball
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt

Rock Block (Golem) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rock Blast
    - Sucker Punch

american airlines (Rotom-Fan) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Air Slash
    - Trick

Seismophobia (Skuntank) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Aftermath
    EVs: 252 Atk / 124 HP / 132 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Poison Jab
    - Pursuit
    - Sucker Punch
    - Taunt

All I do is Spin (Wartortle) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 200 Def / 252 HP / 56 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Haze
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    Aecor and JoshuaMunoz like this.
  2. Plus

Plus young money militia
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

This is a very well constructed team. I think some of the EV spreads can be optimized a bit to deal with certain threats in the metagame, but the general core of this team is pretty sound. Like many teams in NU, Jynx does a number on this team. Electabuzz can help you switch into Lovely Kiss thanks to Vital Spirit, and is great because it also outspeeds Scarf Jynx and Primeape as well. If you don't mind losing power from Rotom-s, then Electabuzz is definitely a good option for you to consider, because its speed coupled with Vital Spirit can give you some extra options in terms of playing against Jynx teams, as well as more faster paced teams that require a little bit more speed. I'd run Thunderbolt/HP Ice/Focus Blast/Volt Switch, with HP Ice over something like HP Grass because a lack of an ice move could be a little dangerous if you were to go up against something like a Fraxure. Furthermore, the presence of Roselia makes beating Seismitoad less of a worry.

As for other nitpicks, you should try running 56 Speed EVs on that Golem so you can outspeed the standard SMASHKOAL set so you can pick it off before it tries to Rapid Spin your rocks away. This is good because you dont have to switch to Misdreavus in order to block spin and risk mispredicting, and you can simply stay in with Golem instead. The loss of bulk from 48 HP EVs is minimal.

Next off, consider running a more faster spread on the Skuntank. 236 EVs in Speed in particular helps you outspeed things like a defensive Subwisp Gardevoir. This lets you outspeed and Taunt them, then proceed to pick them off with Pursuit as they attempt to switch. If you want more bulk, I usually prefer just running 16 EVs in Speed in order to outspeed Subwisp Misdreavus to prevent it from Subbing and burning while maintaining my bulk, but that's really just up to your preference. Personally, I think having more speed works in your team's favor since you lack a cleric, so it's more of a necessity for your team to stay clear from status as much as possible.

But that's about it for my suggestions. Congratulations on your success, and I hope the NU ladder is treating you well.
  3. Moose V

Moose V

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely change rotom to electabuzz but I think I may run signal beam over focus blast for jynx but I guess I'll see what works better. I'll change Golem's EVs up a little which will definitely help and I guess I'll go with the 232 speed EVs for skuntank. Thanks again, I'll update the team when I have alittle more time
  4. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Flapper the Zubat = best scramblemon
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Why exactly are you using Wartortle? You have two grounded Poison-types, and You can easily beat the three most common Spikers in the tier. You just don't seem to need a spinner at all, and all Wartortle is doing is sitting there. I'd recommend using an Alomomola instead, as it's far bulkier and can pass gargantuan Wishes to your teammates. I'm on my phone right now and can't give the standard EV spread, but the typical moves are Wish, Protect, Toxic and Waterfall, with Scald thrown in on occasion for lolburnchance.
  5. Moose V

Moose V

You bring up a good point. I guess a spinner would be increasingly pointless especially now that I've traded rotom for electabuzz and don't have anything weak to stealth rocks. Alomomola would suit this team well, however I kinda need something to take a hit or two from special charizard. I suppose I could play around with alomomola's EVS to get it to be able to survive a fire blast and then HP grass after rocks/protect. Thanks for the suggestion!
  6. Detective Dell

Detective Dell Winter Hibernation of the Yarnasauruses
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I agree that Alomomola is definitely the better teamslot than Wartortle, and despite how bulky this team is, it's not that hard to wear down and thus gain some steady momentum towards. With that being said, Wish support will definitely become of help here, and with that you can forgo the need of Rest on Roselia and replace it with Synthesis so that you don't lose one turn of momentum and have some decently threatening Pokemon like Jynx come in for free, dealing a lot of damage. Also, I would give Roselia 248 HP EVs instead of the typical max one, as having an odd HP number reduces the damage taken from passive damage. Whatever you invest the remainder of the 4 EVs is still valuable, as Roselia's defenses are boosted by 1.5x when factoring in Eviolite.

The Alomomola EV spread that will work for you will be 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 SDef, which will allow you to pivot against special attackers, especially from the likes of Special Samurott or Charizard, pretty well as you avoid the 2HKO from all of their most common attacks now. You still maintain the needed physical bulk to take on a lot of physical attackers, so you don't lose much utility at all from Alomomola's previously most common spread.

7. Camarade Papadov

Camarade Papadov

You can also change your skuntank spread, to the common :

[​IMG]
    Skuntank @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Aftermath
    EVs: 252 Atk / 204 SDef / 52 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Poison Jab
    - Pursuit
    - Sucker Punch
    - Taunt

You don't lose any power, and you can tank better the attacks from Haunter, Gardevoir, Musharna (signal beam). 52 spd to outspeed the common Misdreavus spread.

Speaking of that, you should add some speed to your misdreavus, as you play Taunt. 44 spd for instance outspeed 90 uninvested base speed, like the annoying anti stall Vigoroth.
  8. Moose V

Moose V

@Ranger Dell I've considered using synthesis but I've ultimately decided to stick with rest for a few reasons:
    1) I've been seeing a lot of rain teams lately and this roselia is my only real ludicolo counter which means it needs reliable recovery in the rain.
    2) For some of the aforementioned attacks, Roselia needs to be at full health to keep some of the 3HKOs from becoming 2HKOs
    3) I'm more likely to run out of pp with synthesis
    4) This team likes switches anyway (it is probably more on the stall side of things) so roselia being forced to switch out after recovering actually isn't super disadvantageous.

I will change Roselia's EVs however as you suggested.

As for Alomomola, I actually went with a similar 100 / 252 / 158 as it hits a lefties number and gives me a slightly better chance to not be 2 hit by charizard. Thanks for the suggestions!

@Papadov I actually went with Plus's suggestion for 232 speed EVs on Skuntank. I haven't really run into any trouble with annoying base 90 pokes w/ misdreavus but if they become a recurring problem, I'll change up misdravus's EVs
  9. Moose V

Moose V

Fully updated team to match changes :)
  10. Moose V

Moose V

Ya I considered focus blast but I decided to go with signal beam for 2 reasons:
    1) Jynx is a massive threat and signal beam can do a nice chunk to it
    2) I have a thing about not relying on inaccurate moves as I even missed 4 air slashes in a row so I know using focus blast might cost me a couple games down the road. I also don't really mind probo or bastiodon as they both give me an opportunity to set up some sort of hazard.
  11. Moose V

Moose V

Yaaa... Idk why I didn't think about t-bolt 2hkoing jynx anyway. I'll change signal beam to focus blast.
  12. Moose V

Moose V

I actually have no idea where this team peaked as, after posting this, I tested more NU teams on the same account which definitely has messed up my acre. I haven't done any serious laddering with it yet after implementing the changes but if I do I'll let you know.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)