Team Overdrive

Changes in Bold

Team at a Glance:

Building Team Overdrive
I originally based this team around an Agiligross.

Next I needed a Pokémon to beat down the common Earthquake users. Gengar immediately came to mind as the perfect Pokémon to use. Little did I know it would also be an excellent spinblocker for my team.

Then I needed a Ground type revenge killer that could utilize U-turn. Flygon immediately came to mind.

After that, I wanted a strong Pursuit user to punch holes in any Rotom dumb enough to switch into Flygon.

Soon after, I realized that I needed a Water type Pokémon to cover my massive Scizor weakness. I chose Gyarados due to its ability Intimidate and its ability to set up on a Scizor locked into Bullet Punch.

Finally, I chose a lead that could give me an advantage over the other leads. I tried Infernape first, but he died too easily. In the end, I chose Scarf Jirachi.

I changed Gengar for a Rotom-H as Gengar wasn't pulling its weight.

I switched Rotom-H out and put in a Sub + Pain Split Gengar in instead.

The team in depth:

WishMaker @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Ability: Serene Grace (scream now for flinchax)
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

~Iron Head
~Stealth Rock
~Trick
~U-turn

WishMaker, the classic flinchaxor lead that has so much rage potential. It covers all my entry hazard needs and so much more. It deals with any and every lead that the opponent can throw at me. EVs are to give WishMaker a reasonable amount of bulk, power, and speed. With the spread given, it's capable of surviving a lead Mamoswine's Earthquake. Choice Scarf gives it enough speed to avoid being taunted by other leads. If the opposing lead is something WishMaker can't handle, I'll have it U-turn to the appropriate teammate. It's also my main DD Mence counter.

How Jirachi deals with other leads:
Azelf: Set up Stealth Rock OR Trick the Scarf and switch out.

Weavile: Iron Head it until it's KOed. Alternately, set up Stealth Rock and then switch in Lake of Rage.

Machamp: Trick the Scarf and switch in another Pokémon depending on the move used.

Mamoswine: Iron Head it and hope it flinches.

Heatran: Switch out IMMEDIATELY and bring in Lake of Rage.

Yanmega: Hope it doesn't have Hypnosis and set up Stealth Rock.

Froslass: See Weavile, replace Lake of Rage with TyraniMence.

Mesprit: Set up Stealth Rock and switch to Roflcoptor /TyraniMence.

Opposing Jirachi: Set up Stealth Rock and switch to Roflcoptor.

Metagross: Trick the Scarf and then switch out.

Roserade: Trick the Scarf and have Jirachi take the inevitable Sleep Powder.

Gliscor: Trick the Scarf and set up Stealth Rock.

TyraniMence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Ability: Sand Stream
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

~Crunch
~Pursuit
~Stone Edge
~Superpower

The trapper for my team. ScarfTar is the middle of being tested. Does the usual duties of a Tyranitar. The main Trick absorber.

In short, TyraniMence removes those Ghosts that reduce Overdrive's chances of a sweep.

Overdrive @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Ability: Clear Body
112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe

~Agility
~Earthquake
~Meteor Mash
~ThunderPunch

The main late-game sweeper of the team, Overdrive literally goes into "overdrive" after 1 Agility. After an Attack raise from Meteor Mash (if I get lucky) not even the Rotom Appliances can stand in Overdrive's way. Earthquake is to KO those Heatran who think they can revenge kill Overdrive. ThunderPunch covers everything else (namely Gyarados and Skarmory). Life Orb puts a little extra power behind Overdrive's attacks.

CATS (M) @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Ability: Intimidate
156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe

~Bounce
~Dragon Dance
~Taunt
~Waterfall

TheAmazingFlygon recommended the BulkyDos set to me and it counters Scizor even better than the previous set did. DD Mence does not get past this quite so easily now. (Stiil in the testing process)

FlyScorpion (M) @ Leftovers
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, - SpA)
Ability: Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

~Earthquake
~Roost
~Taunt
~Toxic

Testing Gliscor as a replacement for Flygon. Works well so far.

RBY Ghost
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Ability: Levitate
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

~Focus Blast
~Pain Split
~Shadow Ball
~Substitute

ENZ0 convinced me to try out this Gengar set and it's working wonders for my team. It spinblocks wonderfully and sweeps just as well. Pain Split is a really reliable tool for survival due to Life Orb recoil. Blissey isn't stopping this RBY Ghost anytime soon.

Constructive criticism and Ground type replacements for Flygon are much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Threat List

Threat List(Taken from Jumpman16's announcement). Major threats are in Bold. Can't remove underlines. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Azelf: Jirachi and Tyranitar take complete care of Azelf.

Breloom: Jirachi absorbs Spore and Gengar can revenge kill.

Celebi: Rotom and Jirachi take care of Celebi. Flygon and its U-turns could also be used.

Dugtrio: Gyarados takes care of Dugtrio.

Electivire: Flygon revenge kills Electivire.

Empoleon: Gengar, once behind a substitute, revenge kills it.

Flygon: Once locked into Outrage, Metagross can switch in and set up. More often than not however it's a speed race between my Flygon and my opponent's.

Gengar: Jirachi takes care of the Sub / Pain Split set while Tyranitar can counter the other movesets. Tyranitar must take special precautions due to Focus Blast.

Gliscor: Gyarados manhandles Gliscor after 1 Dragon Dance with Waterfall.

Gyarados: If Gyarados gets at least 2 Dragon Dances in before I can use Agility on Metagross, then I lose. In the early parts of the game, tricking a Scarf onto Gyarados while it's Dragon Dancing works to neutralize it. Metagross works after an Agility.

Heatran: Gyarados takes care of all Heatran variants except for the Burn set.

Heracross: Rotom can come in on Close Combat and Gyarados can come in on Megahorn.

Infernape: In the lead position, Jirachi can do wonders by tricking a Scarf onto the ape after Fake Out. Gyarados does a great job countering almost all specially based sets while Gengar can come in and Revenge kill it.

Jirachi: Flygon has the muscle to take on physically based Jirachi while Tyranitar counters those sets without Flash Cannon. Lead Jirachi are dealt with by my own Jirachi.

Kingdra: After 1 or 2 Dragon Dances, Gyarados can nail a Kingdra on the switch with Stone Edge or Bounce.

Lucario: Flygon and Gengar do a wonderful job countering the steel jackal.

Machamp: If Jirachi tricks its Scarf onto Machamp, any of my teammates can come in based on the move it last used and set up accordingly.

Magnezone: Flygon annihilates Magnezone with a Scarfed Earthquake.

Mamoswine: Jirachi annihilates Mamoswine with Iron Head. If Mamoswine unleashes a Choice Banded Earthquake then Rotom can come in and set up a Reflect.

Metagross: Gyarados can come in on CBGross stuck on Meteor Mash or Earthquake and proceed to set up. Agiligross is much harder to counter. My best play against it is to bring in Flygon during the Agility and nail it with Earthquake. Leadgrosses are countered by having Jirachi Trick a Scarf onto it.

Ninjask: Jirachi Iron Heads it to death. Rotom can come in during Substitute, Protect, or Swords Dance and set up a substitute of its own.

Porygon-Z: If Tri Attack is being used in the Scarf / Specs sets, Rotom is the solution. My best bet is to sacrifice a team member and revenge kill it.

Rhyperior: Tyranitar usually annihilates it with Aqua Tail. Jirachi can come in and use Iron Head to cause massive headaches in the Rhyperior user.

Roserade: Jirachi takes Sleep Powder for the team and any Grass or Poison-type move gives Metagross a free switch-in.

Rotom-A: Rotom has no problems countering the Specs sets if they don't use Shadow Ball. Tyranitar can come on every move except Will-o-Wisp, Hydro Pump, or Leaf Storm.

Salamence: MixMence is countered by Flygon and DDMence is countered by Metagross and Jirachi once it's stuck on Outrage.

Scizor: Gyarados makes Scizor head for the hills with Intimidate.

Snorlax: Jirachi can Iron Head it and make a stream of constant flinches for the Snorlax.

Starmie: Flygon can come in on Thunderbolt and revenge kill with Outrage.

Suicune: After an Agility, Metagross ThunderPunches it into KO range.

Togekiss: A ThunderPunch from Metagross or a Stone Edge from +1 Gyarados is enough to end the flight of this paper plane.

Tyranitar: Jirachi, Metagross, Gyarados, and my own Tyranitar can bring the tyranny down.

Weavile: Jirachi can survive one of Weavile's attacks and respond quickly with an Iron Head.

Yanmega: Flygon can torch the overgrown dragonfly with Fire Blast and Metagross can ThunderPunch it.

Zapdos: Tyranitar's Stone Edge is enough to slay this overgrown bird.

Hello!

Well for starters Sub+ 3Attacks Machamp can dent holes through your team. I would suggest a Choice scarf honchcrow or if you want a LO one is fine although you will need to have roost and sucker punch somewhere to get gengar's and rotom-a

Honchcrow @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 244 Atk/216 Spd/48 SAtk
Nature: Naive
Moves:

Brave Bird
Superpower
Pursuit
Heat Wave

A LO set is usable if you don't mind the speed and it helps kill Machamps very well or if you want some more speed use a staraptor instead.

Good Luck!

Actually, Trick from Jirachi ruins any Machamp that dare to switch in and Gengar always forces a switch afterwards. Thanks for the advice though.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/substitute
"Substitute blocks Acupressure, Block, Ghost's Curse, Dream Eater, Embargo, Gastro Acid, Grudge, Heal Block, Leech Seed, Lock-On, Mean Look, Mimic, Mind Reader, Nightmare, Pain Split, Psycho Shift, Spider Web, Sketch, Switcheroo, Trick, Worry Seed, and Yawn."

Sub blocks trick. he subs on the switch so you cant trick him. behind a sub he OHKO's gengar with payback.

Also your jirachi doesnt counter DD mence.... most DD mence run max speed, so after 1 DD hes faster than you are and just OHKO's with EQ

Sup ADG,

This is a pretty awesome team, and if played right I'm sure can be very destructive. The team itself looks like it handles the common setup sweepers well, but a little iffy with the switch-in on MixMence and MixApe. Also, after Gyara is gone Gliscor sweeps your team with EQ/Roost/Taunt/Toxic, which is never good.

I quickly want to suggest keeping Gengar over Rotom-H, since it will check MixApe and Gliscor in one. I know you will say that Gyara might be enough, but its always good to have two solid checks to these threats imo. The following Gengar set will rip through teams behind a sub, and come back with more after a Pain Split.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid (+Def, -Atk)
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Substitute
-Pain Split
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

Next, I want to suggest using a different Gyarados EV Spread that will provide the same output damage, but give you a little more bulk. Use 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe on Gyara. Another nitpick is using a Naive Nature on Flygon to give Fire Blast more of a boost and put the 4 EVs in SpA. Also, you might want to use Thunderpunch on Flygon for Gyara if you get rid of Rotom-H, but in the worst of cases Metagross can check it without much prior damage of course.

I know these are not many changes, but I really like the purpose of this team and its members. Anyways, its a rater's job to give sensible suggestions that won't drastically deviate you from your original idea so...Hope this helps, and good luck!

EDIT: The MixMence problem don't worry about too much, since it's easily playable by knowing what to switch-in at the right time. Gengar also helps in finishing it off!

Well... I made a nice post but I got disconnected and lost all I wrote... Oh well... I don't have much time left so I will resume what I mentioned in my ''previous'' post, sorry for the inconvenience.

Basically, you have problem with Jolly Dragon Dance Salamence, Crocune & Scarf Flygon. To deal with the first one, I suggest you play a Bulky Gyarados; it will also increase Gyarados's longevity. For the second one, again, Bulky Gyarados would be the answer. Finally, for the last one - he is a threat for even if he cannot sweep your team, he can damage it pretty badly - put either Rotom-H back or add in a Stallbreaker Gliscor instead of Flygon (adding to that the fact you needed another ground type instead of Flygon, so here you go =]).

For your team, I think you could use an Azelf instead of Jirachi - this is merely a suggestion for Jirachi is a good lead for your team. Azelf could prevent your opponent from setting up rocks and also with that set Azelf could score a pretty early KO:

Azelf @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 SpA/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Moves: - Psychic
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

This set will, most of the time, prevent your opponent from setting up their Stealth Rocks/ Entry Hazards in general; they, indeed, damage youru team way too much. These entry hazards are IMO a problem for your team. Another more reliable solution to those would be switching your Gengar for a Rapid Spinner Starmie. If you are worried about losing a sweeper, use this Starmie set:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Moves: - Hydro Pump/ Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam/ Recover
- Rapid Spin

Finally, I think CB T-Tar is not the best choice for this team: once your opponent knows it's Choice Banded, you won't be able to bluff scarf anymore and you will be screwed; T-Tar will be useless most of the time: Rotoms-H will stay in and Will-O-Wisp, and Gengar will Focus Blast. For that reason, I suggest you switch it for a Scarfed version.

Sorry I didn't explain very well the why of what I said (damn connection problem that made me lose my nice post =[), but I don't have much time left... Anyway, I hope I helped you and have fun playing Pokemanz =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)