ORAS NU Team RWBY

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
TEAM RWBY

This team's a cute little themed team. It used to be a pretty bad team, but this attempt was initially inspired by the Dark-type spam teams that a lot of other good players built. This is my spin on it with Sneasel and Liepard starting off the team.

With a dark spam core, we needed to check Fighting-types. I chose Scyther. and I also needed a secondary fighting check and hazard control. Xatu fit the bill (ah ha ha!), while adding hazard control, and with Rocky Helmet, it can trade its life for Steelix, or the Steelix has to let Xatu get back up to full again.

I needed SR and a defensive pivot to pair with Xatu. Steelix is usually the go-to for these types of teams, but I guess I wanted something for Fire-types, and so I added Camerupt instead. I also put a bulky Eviolite Gurdurr variant to take stray attacks, give me a secondary check to Heliolisk, Sneasel, and other flagship offensive threats. Gurdurr also covers most Normal-types, as I don't have a Steelix.

I ended up choosing Scarf Mesprit over Scyther because of synergy reasons.

Team is very weak to water-type attackers. I made my Xatu at least faster than Samurott for this very reason. This team is also 6-0ed by rain teams as a result, which is somewhat depressing. Also I have a lot of trouble with other stuff like CM Audino if they get too many boosts. Team isn't amazing, but it's decent and wanted to share this team in light of recent events.

RIP Monty Oum

The Team:

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball / Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Mesprit is a true hero. She's my revenge killer, scout, and Healing Wish user. Healing Wish benefits this team so much. Sneasel, Camerupt, and Gurdurr could all use a second lease of life to do even more damage on the opponent. Usually they're wasted on Xatu, but there's always exceptions. Liepard would make a good target except it gets OHKOed by everything. Psychic is great main STAB because I want as much damage as possible. Energy Ball / Thunderbolt is my main coverage option. Healing Wish is obvious and is the main reason I even put her on my team. U-turn is good for scouting in a Mega Steelix meta.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Ice Shard

Sneasel is such a great Pokemon. It has no true counters, bar Mega Steelix, and you still do a solid number to it with Low Kick. Offensive teams are outsped or killed by priority. Defensive teams are also outsped but very little outside of Hariyama resist Sneasel's STAB options (and Low Kick hits him hard anyways). It's an amazing threat and should be used more. Also forms part 1 of dark-spam core with Liepard.

@ Blackglasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Copycat

Part 2 of the Dark-spam core. Nasty Plot Liepard was chosen so that I don't do 0 damage to Mega Steelix. With Priority Copycat, it also fares very well against opposing offense, which certainly seems to be the meta pick with the 2 offensive threats dropping down. I'm not sure if it should be the right pick, but as it is, NP Liepard is fairly good in the meta. It's at least better than the Knock Off Pivot set! Encore over Substitute for letting me beat setup, and sometimes sacking it will let me go for that 100% win as opposed to predicting. Come in after Camerupt dents whatever special bulk they have. Also I have 2 U-turn Pokemon, and Copycat can be used as a Priority U-turn! Not that useful, but cute option to have regardless.

@ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Electric

Camerupt is such a beast. First, Hariyama doesn't beat Camerupt. I need Camel so I won't play recklessly which is how you beat Yama with it, but if he wants to sack his Yama with no other answer to Dark-Spam, I'm fine with that! Max HP is needed to be tanky and avoid 2HKOs. Max Special attack isn't exactly necessary but overkill never hurt anybody. Camel does get access to SR and is my setter. However, you shouldn't sacrifice large chunk of his HP just to set up SR other than in incredibly rare scenarios. Camerupt can do a lot of damage, so better really ask yourself what KOs you're gaining with SR. If you aren't gaining anything immediate, you may want to just attack. If they can't just OHKO it straight up, just send this out early, let him do work, healing wish it back up. It's just downright disgusting how much he can do.

@ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off

After the offensive core, I realize I have a few weaknesses so I start adding some gluemons. And Gurdurr is a great gluemon. Not only does it revenge Sneasel, Smash users, absorb status, etc. it's incredibly bulky and strong to boot. Drain Punch and Knock Off is nearly unresisted on most teams. With 2 Poison-type hard counters supporting it, Gurdurr can really shine. It also revenges Sneasel, which most other offensive teams have trouble with. Specially bulky spread because I need to not lose to special attackers. 60 EVs to check Kanga and MLix

@ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Scald
- U-turn
- Defog

Pelipper is a suggestion by hollywood and it's a great one. It rounds out my team giving me some hazard control (i have 2 SR weak Pokemon already), a switch-in to Steelix-Mega, and a great pivot. Pelipper is also a great switch into Fighting-types. U-turn is alright for gaining momentum ofc, Scald burns. Provides water check and also check vs Gatr. Mainly its job is to cover physical water types, and that's OK given that against rain I can often just sweep up with Priority Dark Pulse from Liepard if I can just weaken the opposing team or something and Gurdurr will live enough hits to let me do just that.

Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- U-turn / Calm Mind
- Psychic / Psyshock

Xatu rounds out my team giving me some hazard control (i have 2 SR weak Pokemon already), a switch-in to Steelix-Mega, and a great pivot. Xatu is also an OK switch into Fighting-types, though I am still very weak against them. Heat Wave hits Steelix, U-turn gives me momentum, and Roost is Roost. Grass Knot can be used to nail Water-types like Quagsire which somewhat pains my team. 56 Speed EVs to not lose to modest samurott. Calm Mind Psyshock set can be used over the pivot set as this team has problems dealing with opposing CM users such as Mega-Audino. U-turn is alright tho.

Scyther @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance

Best at Ruby cosplay

Ruby (Mesprit) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Weiss (Sneasel) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick

Blake (Liepard) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Encore
- Nasty Plot
- Copycat

Yang (Camerupt) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Heat Wave

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Last edited:
Cool team, maybe try Pelipper over Xatu for Fighting resist since you have no Water resist anywhere. Still gives hazard control and U-turn support, and it's cuter than Xatu. I don't think CM users are too bad for the team, but if you're especially paranoid you can run Relaxed on Pelipper (if you try it) to get a slower U-turn against Mega Audino and then Encore it with Liepard.

"Max Special attack isn't exactly necessary but overkill never hurt anybody." - I giggled a bit there.

While Liepard is cool and all, Mixed Cacturne could go nicely along in your dark themed team. Water Absorb Cacturne can help you soak up water hits and makes your team a bit less weak water types. Mixed Cacturne can nicely bait Granbull and solidly 2HKO it with giga drain. Eliminating Granbull paves the way for a nice Gurdurr sweep or a Sneasel cleanup. You won't miss the priority as much and you still have the last slot to put whatever you want (spikes, destiny bond etc.)

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Destiny Bond / Spikes

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
ty for the rate hollywood i tried pelipper last night and it was pretty good. I do get rid of my only grass resist but psychic typing was somewhat redundant on my team anyways and lets me take the attacks I wanted much better. It still leaves me with holes but if I ask myself if Pelipper > Xatu caused those holes, I would say no.

ty for the rate as well Karane I'm assuming I'd swap out Liepard to make room for Cacturne? You didn't specify what I'm replacing Cacturne with, but honestly anything that relieves my water weakness is alright at this point.

ty for the rate hollywood i tried pelipper last night and it was pretty good. I do get rid of my only grass resist but psychic typing was somewhat redundant on my team anyways and lets me take the attacks I wanted much better. It still leaves me with holes but if I ask myself if Pelipper > Xatu caused those holes, I would say no.

ty for the rate as well Karane I'm assuming I'd swap out Liepard to make room for Cacturne? You didn't specify what I'm replacing Cacturne with, but honestly anything that relieves my water weakness is alright at this point.
yeah bro cacturne> liepard

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yo marilli Dark Spam is fun for sure, unfortunately there are only a couple of viable options in NU atm. You've already got two of the better ones on your team, I think the switch to Cacturne is a decent one which alleviates your problem of Scald spam, the problem is that it takes one of your set up sweepers making it a bit harder to sweep late game.

If you like the change of Cacturne over Liepard I have a couple of tweaks to your team that you might like. First is using Swords Dance Sneasel as a second set up sweeper next to Gurdurr, the problem is trying to figure out wether to give up priority, knock off, or icicle crash. Personally I usually end up going with Swords Dance over crash or priority depending on how much priority I already have on my team, thats a personal preference that I'll leave up to you. The cool thing about SD Sneasel is that at +2 with a LO Sneasel OHKOs Hariyama with Low Kick if no defense investment and with defensive investment you need 6% damage which is easily attained by luring it in with other members on your team. I also recommend trying out a faster Camerupt as it just destroys slower teams being able to outspeed uninvested base 55s and with Healing Wish support as well as hazard control with Xatu you'll probably end opening holes for Gurdurr or Sneasel to sweep much faster.

Awesome team, hope these minor changes helped ^.^

marilli

With you
ty for the rate mont

Actually faster camel was one of the first adjustments I've tried. speed is good but losing bulk sucks on this team because it's my main fire-type check. I want something bulky on the team that will take any one hit and OHKO back. so i tried some max hp max speed modest camel stuff which sounds retarded but isn't bad at all because he hits hard enough. Then I was given a non-max speed by brawl later which was really good. Not outspeeding Hariyama isn't as bad as because you can take advantage of defense drops from close combat

I have to be honest I haven't tried Cacturne too much because i've been experimenting mostly with a grass-type / water-type somewhere in the final 2 slots instead of trying Cacturne, which obviously leads me a bit astray from my starting theme. I've messed around with stuff like Ferro , Specs Poliwrath, Viloplume, Hariyama, Seismitoad, Heliolisk, so basically all the water checks I could think of lol...

But I have to admit that in my short span of testing with Cacturne it's broken far more defensive checks to dark much more effectively than Liepard. It gives the team a much stronger matchup vs. balanced teams, and more 'dark-spam' flavor because I have a dark that lures out and beats checks (one could say cacturne has no real counters anyways other than like Togetic which doesn't beat Sneasel anyways lol), instead of having Camerupt do that dirty wallbreaking work, which puts in a lot less pressure on Camel and I can keep it healthy for when I really need it, instead of having to Healing wish that nearly every game because I need it for wallbreaking early and defensive duties late.

I've tried cacturne and pelipper together as well, and I shouldn't be surprised a FWG core puts in work. Last slot is now somewhat overloaded but either way it's an offensive team, I have to pick my poison on what threats I can defensively cover and just handle the rest with offensive pressure, so I'm not gonna go into too much detail on my system of teams that sprout from the same core lol.

I agree trying Cacturne over Liepard could be great to deal better with water types, which are very annoying with a Camerupt in your team. I also recommend you to use a Stealth Rock Mesprit without the Choice Scarf, it's a great support with Healing Wish and U-Turn too. If you change that you should run HP Grass over HP Electric and Rock Slide (to catch Mantine on swith in) on Camerupt with a rash/mild nature and invest more speed, so that you can outspeed some water types like Prinplup or Quagsire.
Hope you appreciate those little changes. Great team!

marilli

With you
I really didn't want to revive this near dead thread but I've been asked by several people for the updated version of the team so I thought I should touch up my RMT. The updated version with Pelipper's one way you could go about doing it with the least amount of changes. Being locked in 4 teamslots hurts in my ability to tweak to the perfect optimum, but that doesnt exist anyways and each of my team variants are left open to threats. That's the case with any team, so I'm not going to fret, nor am I going to bother listing like 5-6 possibilities of tweaking and what each are weak to, which build I think is most optimal given the rarity of each weakness, etc. Pelipper covers physical water-types and the passive waters like Quagsire, while covering everything defensively I wanted with Xatu anyways. If you actually don't care about the theme Liepard -> Cacturne works alright too if you want that FWG Core and more wallbreaking. I don't think using Liepard is a significant enough of a downgrade, but there's that. Vs. Balance players, bring Cacturne. Vs. Offense players, bring Liepard. If using Cacturne, you should use Thunderbolt on Mesprit because it covers stuff like Archeops and Mantine much better.

Ty Seirle for the rate as well!

I know it doesn't really count for much but the team's undefeated n minitours and several testing sessions with good players who shall remain anonymous :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)