1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Team Something-or-Another (OU Gen V)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by sbdnate, Feb 16, 2011.

1. sbdnate

sbdnate

Team at a Glance:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uxie @ Light Clay
    Levitate
    Impish
    252 Hp/252 Def/4 SpD
    Stealth Rock
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    U-Turn

Considering I was going to go with a bulky set up team, I knew I wanted a pokemon that could set up screens to make my pokemon that much harder to take down and to make it that much easier to set up. I went with Uxie because he is by far the most reliable lead I have ever used, and he should be no different with a Dual Screening set. The EV's are straight forward, max Hp and Defense to tank any physical hit, and he still has enough special bulk to take any special hit.

[​IMG]

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
    Multi-Scale
    Adamant
    248 Hp/44 Atk/216 Spe
    Dragon Claw
    Fire Punch
    Dragon Dance
    Roost

I was originally going to go with Salamence, but I figured Dragonite would fit the "Bulky" idea better, and I had just wanted to try him in general. I have never looked back. Dragonite has been one of the most fun pokemon I have ever used. With his already amazing natural bulk, Multi-Scale, and Roost, next to nothing can take him down, which means I set up on almost anything. Lum Berry only helps with that as it lets me set up one more DD when something comes in to try to Paralyze, Burn, or Poison me. 248 Hp is to aid with his bulk and allows him to come in four times on Stealth Rock, the 216 EV's in speed are so that he out speeds Scarfchomp after two Dragon Dances, with the rest being dumped into attack to hit a bit harder. I am still not entirely sure as to whether or not I am going to keep Fire Punch over Earthquake, but so far, it has come in handy, only missing out on Heatran, while getting really hard hits on things like Scizor, Nattorei, Bronzong, and Skarmory (Who would wall the other set to hell and back).

[​IMG]

Suicune @ Leftovers
    Pressure
    Timid
    252 SpA/4SpD/252 Spe
    Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Hidden Power [Electric]
    Calm Mind

I needed something to take on Ice for Dragonite, but I also wanted a Calm Minder, Suicune was perfect. It has good Natural Bulk that only gets better after a Calm Mind. It kinda Sucks that I miss Coverage on Nattorei, but hey, whatever, that is what I have Magnezone for. I went with full on offense here, maxing it's special attack and speed. Leftovers are there to help with the overall bulk and give me some staying power. I have to say, I am very happy with this thing, I have swept through quite a few teams with it.

[​IMG]

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
    Magnet Pull
    Timid
    4 Hp/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Thunder Bolt
    Flash Cannon
    Hidden Power [Fire]
    Signal Beam

Seeing as Suicune was walled by Nattorei, and I don't really like a lot of other steels pooing on me, I decided to go with Magnezone. Not only does he have the handy resists that completely cover Dragonite's weaknesses, and vice-versa, he also serves as a nice revenge killer, out speeding base 114's (Are there any of those?) and firing back with his powerful Thunder Bolt. Again the EV's are straight forward, max special attack and speed to do as much as possible. As you can see, I opted out of Volt Change. While it is a great move, I could almost never use it because of all of the grounds running around. Besides, Signal Beam is nice to hit Latios with, as well as a few other things. I may change it back, as Signal Beam is only doing about half, but reliably two hitting Latios is far from a bad thing.

[​IMG]

Roopushin @ Toxic Orb
    Guts
    Adamant
    252 Hp/252 Atk/4 Spe
    Mach Punch
    Super Power
    Stone Edge
    Payback

Ah, Roopushin, how I love you! So, first thing you may notice is that I have a Toxic Orb on it over a Band. It started out as something I was just going to try out, because I have always used the Band set, but after I started using it, I fell in love with it. Being able to Super Power something, and then switching to Mach Punch to kill whatever is left of your opponent's pokemon is very useful. While it seems like it may be easier to just go with the Bulk-Up set at this point, I have to say that I prefer the immediate power offered by this set. It is like the Band set, but gives me that one turn to switch attacks and finish something off without having to switch. Oh, and he makes a great sleep absorber. I put the four EV's in speed just to outrun other Roopushin, so far, that has come in handy. The main reason this was put on the team was to give me something that completely annihilated Dorry and Heatran... He does not disappoint... I am mainly just rambling at this point, so I will move on.

[​IMG]

Erufuun @ Leftovers
    Mischievous Heart
    Bold
    240 Hp/252 Def/16 Spe
    Leach Seed
    Substitute
    Stun Spore
    Encore

This is the team slot that I have been having the most trouble with. Nothing I have tried seems to do anything but flounder around While the rest of the team kills everything. Before I had this, I had used a Dorry and a Donphan for spinning. While those two were nice, I never really found the time to Spin, so I decided my team could use a bit more Utility. Outside of being an all around good pokemon, Erufuun gave me a second Dorry counter, as well as something that could throw around Paralysis. Not to mention that he can help my other pokemon set up with Encore. Still, I feel that there is something that can do better, and I am not going to lie, I kinda suck with it. The EV's are the usual, except for the 16 speed Ev's, which are just for out running other Erufuun.

As I said, that last pokemon is just kinda flailing around. I belive I may be somewhat Landlos weak, but the only real counters to that are Bronzong and Skarmory... And I am not entirely sure if Skarmory is a counter... I suppose I could give Bronzong a try, it's resists would be useful, and who doesn't like a full stop to Sand Storm teams? The only thing I would be worried about is the extra fire weakness, but that should be okay.
  2. SmileZ

SmileZ

Are you aiming towards a Roopushin Sweep? Are you planning to post a threat list or anything along those lines? Most importantly, what is the overall goal of the team? I don't know about anyone else but I lurked most of the way through Gen iv and there have been some seriously glaring omissions and lack lustre attempts since then.

I'd actually say that this shows a better understanding than alot of the teams I've seen recently with the combo of Dragonite and Magnezone backed up with some sturdy 'mons and annoyers. The real issue I see is that your team is beaten by most offensive teams and stall alike. You need Taunt and something mixed. I will give a good rate if you can elaborate on the direction a little.

Apologies about the rant.
  3. sbdnate

sbdnate

I need to get to the threat list... I did this last night before I went to bed.

I don't plan on Sweeping with Roopushin any time soon, he is just there for something that hits like a truck and covers some things I miss out on. I guess the goal of the team is mainly a Dragonite/Suicune sweep. As for Stall, I have had no trouble against it yet, between Dragonite, Suicune, and Roopushin, I can generally muscle my way through most of the main threats. And, with Magnezone taking on any problem steals, I generally have no problem breaking them apart. As for offense, I haven't had any major issues outside of Landlos, and even them I can generally work my way around it. There are admittedly some things I have not been able to play against with this team yet, not extensively anyway, like Uruugamosu (sp?).

I suppose a Taunt user would be nice, as would a mixed Wall Breaker... But so far, I haven't had any need for them... And I am not really seeing many really good ones out there at the moment... Outside of something with Psycho Shock... And Dragons...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)