Team SOS Brigade

Introduction

Hello smogon! This is my first ever LC team. I started playing little up around a month ago because i was tired of only seeing either rain or sandstorm teams on the OU ladder. I wanted to try out a new tier, just to change things up a bit. Something about little cup just drew me in, and i quickly built a team. Almost at once i was hooked. It was a complete change of pace from regular OU. There are heavy amounts of prediction involved, and nearly every move matters towards the outcome of the match. Anyways, i decided to base the title and nicknames of my team based on the people of the forum that introduced me to both my youtube and competitive battle career. (BTW this team peaked 13th before the ladders were reset.)

A Closer Look:

Tharles (Meditite)@Life Orb
Ability: Pure Power
Nature: Jolly (+Spe / -SpA)
Evs: 116 Hp / 196 Atk / 196 Spe
Moves:
~Fake Out
~Drain Punch
~Zen Headbutt
~Bullet Punch

Set Analysis: Meditite is the first pokemon in the team preview, and often stays that way. Meditite is overall a solid lead choice. Fake out is a very useful priority move that basically gives me free damage on the opponents lead. It can also be used to inflict damage on pokemon setting up later on in the game. Zen headbutt and drain punch are two very good STAB moves that meditite possesses. I opted to go with drain punch > high jump kick because of drain punch's ability to heal metitite, making him able to survive for longer. I also hated receiving recoil damage every time a ghost type pokemon switched in. Lastly, i have bullet punch to pick off any weakened pokemon late game. The key to meditite's success lies in its ability; pure power. With this ability, meditite reaches an attack stat of 26, which is extremely high for LC. The ev's max out Atk and Spe, while the rest are dumped into HP for survivability.

Tharles is meditite because meditite has a big head, just like tharles.

-----

Munchingorange (Murkrow)@Choice Scarf
Ability: Insomnia
Nature: Lonely (+Atk / -Def)
Evs: 236 Atk / 84 SpA / 188 Spe
Moves:
~Brave Bird
~Pursuit
~Heat Wave
~Faint Attack

Set Analysis: This set really catches a lot of people off guard. Scarf murkrow is never seen in competitive play, which is why no one is ready for it. With the ev's and nature it has, it can 2HKO any evo stone gligar that has no defensive investment, and OHKO offensive misdreavus. It can also revenge kill +1 jolly zuruggu, which was the original purpose of the scarf. Brave bird is usually the move that i lock myself into, as it is the most powerful. Pursuit is there to catch any ghost type pokemon that i know is switching out. Heatwave is there to deal with tess, bronzor, and komatana, common switch ins to murkrow. Faint attack is mainly just a filler move, as i normally dont use any move other than brave bird. I chose lonely nature to max out attack, but not to lower special attack. Murkrow also provides nice synergy for my team with its many resistances and immunities. This may not be the best set that murkrow can run, but it is definitely the most efficient set for my team.

Munchingorange is murkrow because murkrow is the best pokemon on my team and MO is the best bcoz partnership

-----

ST (Zuruggu)@Evolution Stone
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 60 Hp / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Moves:
~Dragon Dance
~High Jump Kick
~Crunch
~Ice Punch

Set Analysis: This set is beast. Dragon Dance Zuruggu is probably the most threatening Pokemon in the metagame right now. With perfect move coverage, a great stat boosting move, decent defense, and a very useful ability, Zuruggu can rip apart almost any team. Now that High Jump Kick received a boost in power, it has become the most powerful fighting move in the game. Crunch and Ice Punch complete the coverage moves that Zuruggu uses. Ice Punch hits Gligar, Flying and Grass types, while Crunch is the more reliable STAB move that hits Pokemon like Slowpoke and Misdreavus. The best part of this set, however comes in the item, Evs, and ability. The Evs max out both attack and speed, while the rest is put into Hp. I run jolly nature because of its ability: Moxie. After each pokemon Zuruggu KOs, its attack will go up one level. This means that after one dragon dance, Zuruggu can potentially sweep an entire team on its own regardless of how many defensive Evs the opponent has, or if it has evolution stone or not. Overall, this set just tears teams apart like its nothing.

ST is Zuruggu because Zuruggu is the most powerful pokemon on my team and ST is the best battler i know

-----

Clefable919 (Misdreavus)@Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
Ev's: 36 Hp / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Moves:
~Shadow Ball
~Hidden Power Fighting
~Psychic
~Will-o-Wisp

Set Analysis: I really just slapped Misdreavus on this team because i heard about how dominant it was in 4th gen. Will-o-wisp cripples Pokemon like Gligar and Komatana. Shadow ball and HP fighting provide unresisted type coverage and hits the likes of Slowpoke, Zuruggu, and opposing Misdreavus. I have psychic on there for Dokkora and Kojofuu, although it really hasn't helped me too much. Im thinking of running Substitute instead, but whatever. Lastly, the nature an Ev's max out Spe and SpA.

Clef is Misdreavus as both of them are very reliable and good people.

-----

Opzii (Chinchou)@Oran Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Modest
Ev's: 56 Def / 232 SpA / 220 Spe
Moves:
~ Hydro Pump
~Thunderbolt
~Ice Beam
~Agility

Set Analysis: Standard AgilityChou. I use this in conjunction with Zuruggu as a sweeping partner. After an Agility, Chinchou out speeds almost all of the metagame. It also has near perfect coverage, only being walled by Teshiido. I chose Hydro Pump over surf as im not running LO, so i need that extra power. Thunderbolt is my more reliable STAB move and hits Murkrow for SE damage. Ice beam completes my moveset and hits gligar and grass types. I usually save this guy till the end, when all of my opponents defensive walls are warn down.

Opzii is Chinchou because both are the odd balls in the group.

-----

Spiritofsteel (Kojofuu)@Choice Scarf
Ability: Regeneration
Nature: Jolly
Ev's: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Moves:
~High Jump Kick
~Stone Edge
~U-Turn
~Toxic

Set Analysis: Scarf Kojofuu is the last member of my team. I mainly use it as my second check to DD Zuruggu and to spam U-turn and High Jump Kick. Stone Edge is used to hit Murkrow and other fliers that like to switch in predicting a High Jump Kick or U-turn. I chose toxic as the last move to deal with slowpoke, Lileep, and CM/Featherdance Murkrow. This is really my only way of dealing with either of the 3, so if i cant get any of them poisoned, im screwed for the rest of the match. Regeneration is nice, because it lets me gain back Hp every time i switch out which is good for survivability.

Spiritofsteel is Kojofuu because steel is resilient and persistent just like Kojofuu is in battle for me.

Threats:

Slowpoke: This thing just doesn't die. With toxic, slack off, and regeneration, this thing can literally stall through my entire team except for chinchou.

CM Mono-Attack Murkrow: The only way i have of beating this is to get it poisoned with Kojofuu. Otherwise it beast my team completely.

Lileep: In sand, this thing doesn't die. My only hope again is to toxic it then ice beam with chinchou.

Sunny Day: Just annoying to face, but murkrow can take out its sweepers pretty easily.

Conclusion:

So that does it for my first LC team. Rate, comment, and dont forget to sub to these guys :)​

I came here expecting haruhi themes >_>

Yeah Psychic sucks.

Also, Will-o-wisp on an offensive pokemon with Life Orb doesn't make much sense. Why not try Substitute? It still beats Komatana and Gligar, and it fits more with the offensiveness of LO Missy, letting you get a lot more kills and easing prediction.

It's also badass.

Why don't you change it to Naive and run Shadow Sneak in the last slot? STAB LO priority is always a plus, and it helps chip off the last couple points of health.

Drain Punch>>>>>HJK on Zuruggu. The recovery provided is critical to it being the beast that it is.

Kojofu looks a lot like filler. Three fighting-types is kinda overkill. Why not try a Munchlax in that slot? Toxic/Return/EQ/Fire Punch, since you already have Pursuit. It beats the three pokemon you mentioned a lot easier, and sucks up special attacks from Sunny Day pokemon (especially fire ones) and hits like a truck with STAB Return.

Also, as it is, you only have one fire and ice resist, so that's cool.

I pretty much agree with everything that Darkamber said, except for the Munchlax suggestion.

I do agree that Kojofu should disappear, but I think that you should replace it with Snover (preferably scarfed), as it automatically stops Lileep and Chlorophyll, has grass attacks to deal with slowpoke (wood hammer is a solid 2hko) and has ice shard to deal MH Murkrow, although it needs SR to get a 2hko with shard, or blizzard if it hasn't gotten too many calm minds in (slightly under 50% chance to OHKO without rocks and not counting hail damage).

Good Luck

:/ Stockpile Lileep tanks Blizzard at +1 with Evo-stone and Rock Slides for the KO.

Slowpoke tanks Energy Ball with Evo-stone and Fire Blasts (they run that for Tessy)

Mischevious Heart Krow can Featherdance the first Ice Shard and Roost up.

Vulpix cockblocks Snover.

It's also SR weak

I'm saying that it can change the weather against lileep and chlorophyll. Slowpoke goes doesn't tank woodhammer that well, but fire blast is dangerous. FDKrow is a bitch, but blizzard deals with it nicely.

@Darkamber8828: First off, thanks for the rate! Sorry about no haruhi themes :p (although i am a fan).

I actually really like your idea about replacing kojofuu with munchlax. To be honest, he was just a filler pokemon that has worked out decently.

About missy, i was thinking of changing it to sub-wisp with evo stone, but keep max speed and max SpA. Thoughts?

@Server crash: Thanks for the rate! Im going to test out Darkamber's suggestion first, then yours and see how both of them compare.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
My main problem with this team is that it may have trouble breaking open very defensive teams. With an offensive Zuruggu as your only sweeper, you may have problems if it gets worn down and dies. With that in mind, I suggest you run the following set:

ST (Zuruggu)@Evolution Stone
Ability: Shed Skin
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
Evs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 212 Spe
Moves:
~Dragon Dance
~Drain Punch
~Crunch
~Ice Punch

This set doesn't have the same raw power, but it doesn't need it. The walls which you needed Hi Jump Kick, Moxie and max attack to plow through are completely useless against this set, which can just throw Drain Punches at them and laugh off Toxic - a major problem for Moxie Zuru. The synergy between Drain Punch and Evolution Stone means that you can be very bulky and still recover a massive percentage of your health, allowing Zuru to beat more things one-on-one, including a lot of Scarfers, than it could before.

The extra defense is useful as insurance against Calm Mind Murkrow, which you are somewhat weak to - since it runs HP Dark almost all the time, you can simply throw Ice Punches at it until it freezes.

More ideas coming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)