Team Steamroller (CaP RMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is my first RMT on this board but I have some experience with CaP. This team centers around the Tyranitar + Revenankh dynamic and so far has torn through teams going 5-0 with matches that weren't even close (the closest was 3-0). So tell me what you think!

Team at a glance:

In Depth Look:

Kitsunoh
@ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Limber
Adamant

Move Set:
Earthquake
Ice Punch
ShadowStrike
U-Turn

Comment: A brutally fast and powerful lead and late game killer. If I can't KO the opposing lead easily, I will U-Turn to safety and one of my many counters such as Gliscor for Earthquake or Vaporeon for Fire attacks. His type coverage is intense and he's fast enough to disguise the Scarf early on. Furthermore, he has a sick Fighting immunity which is very useful on this team along with Grass resistance.

Stratagem
@ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid
EVs: 252 Spe/ 252 SpA/ 6 SpD

Move Set:
Paleo Wave
Earth Power
Energy Ball
Flamethrower

Comment: Boasting an essential Ground immunity and disgusting power, Stratagem serves as a physical wall breaker letting Tyranitar tear through the remains or Revenankh set up with ease. With his speed, power and type coverage, nothing is safe and the special defense boost from Tyranitar lets him switch in on more than just Ground attacks. Being able to easily dismantle anything but priority users is essential to my team's strategy.

Revenankh
@ Leftovers
Shed Skin
Careful
EVs: 252 HP/ 120 Def/ 136 SpD

Move Set:
Bulk Up
Hammer Arm
Shadow Sneak
Rest

Comment: A wicked team player and supreme Blissey killer along with any priority user as he can boost his defense with ease. This thing can absorb status, is very bulky and is nearly impossible to KO without a super effective attack while it just keeps on getting stronger and stronger and sweeps with unresisted coverage and excellent moves. Finally, Tyranitar serves as the perfect compliment, destroying Ghosts, Psychics and Flying types with ease.

Tyranitar
@ Choice Band
Sand Stream
Adamant
EVs: 176 HP/ 252 Atk/ 80 Spe

Move Set:
Aqua Tail
Crunch
Pursuit
Stone Edgel

Comment: The focus of the team. Sandstream boosts Gliscor and Stratagem's survivability and wears down any trick buggers using Focus Sash, Endure, Endeavor and the like. Furthermore, Tyranitar's biggest weakness, Fighting is useless against two of my members and resisted by Gliscor. Tyranitar brings the pain to anything that threatens Revenankh and generally sets the stage for my opponent's grim finale.

Gliscor
@ Leftovers
Sand Veil
Impish
EVs: 252 HP/ 40 Def/ 216 Spe

Move Set:
Roost
Stealth Rock
Aerial Ace
Earthquake

Comment: Tyranitar's little buddy, Gliscor is a real pain for my opponent. He not only sets up Rocks but is almost impossible to KO without special attacks all while keeping Steel threats at bay (except Bronzong). This thing is effective at KOing Metagross, Scizor, Jirachi and the like but also things like Heracross and Breloom who can really be a pain if they get rolling (particularly Breloom). Gliscor is the glue of my team, being a strong switch in, tank, supporter and with enough offense of the right type to stop some big threats to my team.

Vaporeon
@ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold
EVs: 188 HP/ 252 Def/ 68 Spe

Move Set:
Surf
Roar
Wish
Protect

Comment: Wish passing is key to my team as the power packs can't recover. Vaporeon also takes Water and Ice attacks like a champ and even Fire moves aimed at Kitsunoh. He also serves as an effective scout, locking in opponent's moves. Phazing is also an important part of any team and can stop Gyarados on a rampage, who, with Bounce can run through my team. Vaporeon is Gliscor's compliment, another bonding agent for my team.

Overall Theme: Tyranitar and Stratagem are my offensive drivers, clearing the way for Revenankh to come in and run through teams all while being supported by Vaporeon and Gliscor who can take on any threat together and stop opponents from trying to run me through. Overall I aim for balance and power with complimentary typing to take hits and get my work done.

I look forward to comments and ideas!

EDIT: Aqua Tail for Stone Edge, my mistake!

Future considerations:
Jolteon for Stratagem for Electric coverage and similar qualities (albeit much less power).

Just a quick note, since I don't consider myself experienced enough to rate teams, but Ttar has Aqua Tail in its moveset twice.

One problem I see with this team is Arghonaut. Sure, you have immunities to both of it's common STABs, but then what? ScarfKitsunoh is not going to be doing much without multiple defense drops, Revenankh never wants to be in on Arghonaut as it is always beaten 1 on 1, and Vaporeon's only attack is Surf, meaning that Arghonaut can Focus Punch and Recover with no worry, as you either going to protect, giving it Lefties recovery, albeit you get it as well, and Focus Punch is going to hurt quite a bit against Wish or Roar. If you roar it out, you just give a free switch-in to something like Infernape or Tyranitar who would KO you with their respective STAB moves after you have been weakened by Focus Punch (even if you protect). Your best bet against it is Gliscor, but Base 60 STAB is rather weak and Arghonaut can take Physical hits like a champ, so it is one of my main concerns here.

I will post more later about your team.

I couldn't help noticing that Tyranitar seems to have Aqua Tail twice.

More later.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see Xandzero's post.

Also agreeing with Joat that Arghonaut rips the team apart. Kitsunoh, Revenankh, Tyranitar and Vapoeon can't touch it, Stratagem can't switch into any of Arghonaut's moves (outside of Bulk Up), and Gliscor has to run from the threat of Ice Punch. Vaporeon won't take much damage from it but loses to any Arghonaut with Swagger. As a answer, you could try Thunderpunch on Tyranitar over one of the Aqua Tails, and perhaps use 116 Speed EVs, guranteeing you to outrun Arghonaut that don't invest.

I couldn't help noticing that Tyranitar seems to have Aqua Tail twice.

More later.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see Xandzero's post.

Also agreeing with Joat that Arghonaut rips the team apart. Kitsunoh, Revenankh, Tyranitar and Vapoeon can't touch it, Stratagem can't switch into any of Arghonaut's moves (outside of Bulk Up), and Gliscor has to run from the threat of Ice Punch. Vaporeon won't take much damage from it but loses to any Arghonaut with Swagger. As a answer, you could try Thunderpunch on Tyranitar over one of the Aqua Tails, and perhaps use 116 Speed EVs, guranteeing you to outrun Arghonaut that don't invest.
Agreeing with the above, But I don't see a point in using thunderpunch as that Pert can just wall Tar more, I may recommend using this set:
Tyranitar
@ Choice Band
Sand Stream
EVs: 252 hp/252 Atk

-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge

Earthquake WILL help for the fighting types switch in and do massive damage which you can then finish off with something faster or Rev's SS. It will also put a huge dent into Arghonaut to finish off with Kitsunoh.

There's also a VERY good way to take down Arghonaut. It can take status problems, burn, paralyzed and poison will destroy him, and make him completely useless for your opponent. I may also recommend getting some more special attackers on this team besides Gem and Vappy.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Arghonaut rips this team apart, ect ect ect. However, there's an easy way to fix that. By the way, don't try running Thunderpunch or Earthquake on TTar, or adding extra speed. You still can't touch Argho with it, and you lose coverage. Anyway, add a Zapdos over your Gliscor. You still beat all the pokemon you do with Gliscor, while gaining coverage against Arghonaut. Gliscor isn't needed at all on this team. The only other suggestion I would have is to replace Vaporeon or Kitsunoh with an SR user, but that isn't necessary.

As usual, Tennisace comes up with a better solution. However, if you really want to keep the Sandstorm immunity + evasion boost, Thunderpunch does 2HKO Arghonaut, and most won't switch out because they expect to outspeed you.

At any rate, you do need some kind of electricity on your team somewhere. HP-Elec could be used on Vaporeon over Roar.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not really seeing much of a point in Rev here. Sure, it's a Blissey killer, but the Physical ghost thing that appears twice here in terms of Kitsunoh and Revenankh isn't really appealing at all. You can threaten Blissey with Kitsunoh well enough, and you even have tar to back it up. If you wanted to block something like a spin, you still have Kitsunoh. I think this is a bit of wasted space, as a lot of things can kill Blissey. That being the case, you might want to replace Revenankh for something that can better cover the things your team lacks. Although you lose a fighter, there are some other options that you may want to consider over Revenakh.

Infernape is one. This gives you an ability to lay the hurt on Blissey still, as well as other walls. However, this still contributes to your Argho weakness. I suggest you take Tennis's advice. Run Zapdos over Gliscor. With this you can effectively take down a big chunk of stall in CaP, as well as many others things.

Machamp is a great pokemon, and provides bulk to the team. You can have it absorb status, and it can work as a Stratagem answer as well. This is something that Rev previously accomplished, so this may be a good choice.

Arghonaut is another choice you can opt for. It gives you some nifty stuff like taking on Scizors and Gyarados. It also has decent attack so you might want to consider this as well.

If you choose to go Zapdos over Gliscor, consider going Jirachi over Vaporeon. This gets you rocks and wish, both of what you would like to have. It's a great support pokemon, and could even give paralysis support in order to ensure your slower yet powerful pokemon like Tyranitar get the hit in easier.

I agree with Plus here. Arghonaut does not seem really in place on this team. But if you really want to keep it, I'd change at least Shadow Sneak with Shadow Punch. You don't need priority whne you can let fast and frail checks like Azelf and Gengar meet their fate against Tyranitar (and Kitsunoh to a lesser extent), and the great boost (40 to 60 is quite huge indeed) help you a lot when you face bulkier foes like Zapdos and Gyarados (I'm not saying that with Shadow Punch you can easily beat them, but at least you have much less trouble)

Going with what Plus said, if you run Jirachi > Vaporeon, you can run Zen Headbutt, further eliminating your Arghonaut weakness.

Ok, so the message I am getting is to get an Argo check (it's true, I never faced one so that's good to know) and lose redundancy of Kit and Rev. I'll keep the combo of Tar, Gem and Gliscor since they all work together and benefit together. I would like the keep the second Fighting immunity to help Tyranitar and Stratagem since they are a lot of my power. Therefore, what about Rotom-A? I usually run a set of:

Rotom-H
@ Leftovers
Levitate
Timid
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpA

Move Set:
Substitute
Shadow Ball
Charge Beam/Thunderbolt
Will-O-Wisp

This set does a few things. First, most people think it's Scarf-ed or packing Overheat so I can force switches and Sub or Burn on the switch. Now, I'm either protected or I've crippled their switch in. After that, I can usually do the opposite of what I did the next turn (sub if I burned, burn if I subbed) and the combo of Charge Beam and Shadow Ball turns up the power raising my Special Attack or lowering their Special Defense letting me sweep a little if I have to. I might do Thunderbolt though since it packs more immediate power and would help defeat Arghonaut.

This would replace Rev as it serves a similar purpose and can take some Blisseys one on one as a burn and a +6 Charge Beam with protection from status can really cause some trouble.

What do you think?

Just a quick rate as im not very adept in CAP.

Why not just run Frisk as an ability you have a good status absorber already in the form of Revenankh, its not like you need it to take paralysis specifically. Frisk could give you the edge.

You may want to change your playing style to help you beat arghonaut. Instead of U-turning the second time you have Kitsunoh out be reckless and instead use Trick which should replace Ice Punch, Salamence shouldnt give you that many problems, If you trick you may get lucky and hit Arghonaut enabling you to have a much easier time particularly against a Stall team where the threat of Mence wont be an issue.

Just noting that Rotom won't beat Blissey one on one, as iirc Ice Beam can break the Sub and Blissey has Softboiled to counteract WoW. That, or she can just switch out to something like Heatran, who can take a few Charge Beams and beat YOU one on one.

Hmm... I think a solution to the Arghonaut problem without harming the team build-up too much is this: Slowbro > Vaporeon
A Slowbro with Psychic can counter most arghonaut with ease, and with Yawn, you still have the option of shuffling your opponents team...

If you don't wanna change any of the pokemon, Vappy could run toxic, which would let him beat Argonaut that don't run Rest. If they do rest, you could phaze them, or predict the rest and switch to Gem, to hit them with Energy Ball. Unfortunately, all of the moves on that set are pretty useful, so it would be difficult to decide which one to replace.

If you don't wanna change any of the pokemon, Vappy could run toxic, which would let him beat Argonaut that don't run Rest. If they do rest, you could phaze them, or predict the rest and switch to Gem, to hit them with Energy Ball. Unfortunately, all of the moves on that set are pretty useful, so it would be difficult to decide which one to replace.
Nah, too many Arghonaut use Substitute to depend on Toxic as a solution. If Vaporeon wants to take on Arghonaut, HP-Electric is the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)