1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Team STINKY MUSIC

Discussion in 'Past Gen Teams' started by iss, Sep 6, 2010.

1. iss

iss happily ever after
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Welcome to Team STINKY MUSIC! This is my most successful Little Cup team to date and probably my most edited too (x_x). Anyways, this really is a gimmicky team, carrying five Life Orbs and one Choice Scarf. Most notably, it doesn't have a single Oran Berry. This is all-out offense, attempting to kill everything with a wide variety of sweepers. I can say personally that I have never used anything like this team, nor seen anything like it. While almost all of the sets are standard, I haven't ever used a team without a single Oran Berry. I used this team with a new alt and got to second (asdf still no LC #1 ranking for me ;_;).
    Anyways, here's Team STINKY MUSIC!

(btw this is a joint team with Elevator Music, he just was busy with school so I used this team. The name is due to him and the team being based around Stunky.)

TEAM STINKY MUSIC
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    STINKYnyte [​IMG]
    Omanyte @ Life Orb
    Swift Swim | Modest
    236 HP / 236 Spe / 36 SpAtk
    - Hydro Pump
    - AncientPower
    - Ice Beam / Spikes???
    - Stealth Rock

Omanyte is best described as an "accident". We originally had Omanyte to counter SubDour, which really threatened Stunky. However, EM felt we had a weakness to Scarf Machop so we moved Omanyte to the lead slot and put a ghost in the last slot. The ghost has since been taken out and we are somewhat ScarfChop weak, but that's irrevelant. Well, we ran calcs and realized that Omanyte could OHKO Machop with LO Hydro Pump. Since there had been a absolute boom in Machop leads during that period, we decided to run Omanyte. I certainly haven't regretted it, as Omanyte is one of the best leads I've run. Here's how it fares against the top ten leads (from July x_x):

Show Hide
    [​IMG]: OHKO with Hydro Pump. No one runs max speed Machop/ScarfChop as a lead, and no one expects Omanyte to run Life Orb and OHKO, so we're safe here.
    [​IMG]: OHKO with AncientPower. If it's scarf, then go to Gligar after Omanyte dies, U-turn and then switch to Stunky to finish it off. Sash is the same except skip going to Gligar. Oran variants/other variants are OHKOed.
    [​IMG]: It can't do anything except Seed Bomb which is semi-rare and Hydro Pump is an OHKO.
    [​IMG]: Hydro Pump it down to its sash, then finish it off. Waterfall is only a 3HKO. Earth Power variants are troublesome (but rare).
    [​IMG]: Same thing as Meowth. The spread survives LO Fake Out + Brick Break while OHKOing back with Hydro Pump.
    [​IMG]: OHKO with Hydro Pump.
    [​IMG]: OHKO with Hydro Pump, though most of these will usually screen first turn. I haven't seen many of them though.
    [​IMG]: Omanyte is screwed. Use Ice Beam in case it decides to Stealth Rock. Otherwise, go to Gligar and U-turn then deal with it from there.
    [​IMG]: Scarf variants are OHKOed by Hydro Pump, though most usually run Thunderbolt or Energy Ball. Trick Room is taken down to its sash and then revenged by Stunky.
    [​IMG]: This is a really troublesome lead. When I had Mantyke, I'd usually take the Fake Out with Omanyte and go to Mantyke on the HP Grass. But now, I usually just sacrifice Omanyte, U-turn with Gligar to break it's sash and go to Stunky/Staryu from there.

Hydro Pump is sheer power. Due to Omanyte usually killing leads, I ran Stealth Rock in case I had a chance to set it up (which I usually did). Ice Beam and AncientPower are coverage moves for hitting Dragons and Snover. I've considered running Spikes over Ice Beam, as Spikes would really help this team out and it really doesn't fear DDTini due to Scarf Gligar. From what I've seen though, there really isn't any time to set up Spikes and Ice Beam is generally the superior option.
    [​IMG]
    STINKYstunky [​IMG]
    Stunky @ Life Orb
    Aftermath | Jolly
    12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
    - Crunch
    - Sucker Punch
    - Explosion
    - Hidden Power Ground

Stunky was what EM wanted to base the team around. At the beginning I was skeptical, but Stunky is the team's MVP by far. Having a powerful Crunch and Sucker Punch is incredibly helpful, being able to take down threats like Staryu and Taillow. It also is the team's general revenge killer. I guess Hidden Power Ground is random, but I laugh so hard every time someone tries to switch in Aron on Stunky. I can't say anything about Explo- KABOOOOOOOM. Taking out Houndour, Carvanha, and opposing Stunky is amazing and a great momentum-swinger for this team, who greatly appreciates the free switch. Seriously, people need to use Stunky more. Even killing silly Scarf Gligar users with Crunch + Sucker Punch is fun. All in all, Stunky is really good post-Misdreavus, contrary to popular belief. I think it's because it doesn't have to run Oran and Pursuit anymore.

[​IMG]
    STINKYgar [​IMG]
    Gligar @ Choice Scarf
    Sand Veil | Adamant
    236 Atk / 236 Spe
    - Earthquake
    - Aqua Tail
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn

Scarf Gligar is the glue of this team. Without it I'd be screwed over by a lot of things; Elekid, Diglett, and Taillow included. U-turn's free switch is also invaluable for this team, as there aren't that many immunites to switch in on. Being able to scout is also great. For some reason, people like bringing Gastly in on Gligar only to get U-turned. Stunky can then get the kill on Gastly or a free Crunch on the switch-in. Aqua Tail and Stone Edge handle stuff like opposing Gligar and Taillow, but I generally dislike locking myself into those moves earlygame due to a free set-up being possible. Normally, I identify myself as Scarf early. This usually causes my opponent to switch when I switch Gligar into their Elekid (for example) even though I usually will U-turn. Occasionally, I will go for the kill, but only after seeing that there are no more set-up Pokemon on the opponent's team that are immune to the attack of choice. Gligar is usually the Pokemon I save till the end because Scarf Gligar beats almost everything one on one.

[​IMG]
    STINKYchou [​IMG]
    Chinchou @ Life Orb
    Volt Absorb | Modest
    58 Def / 220 Spe / 228 SpAtk
    - Agility
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam

This used to be Rain Dance Mantyke, but then I was disappointed at having a weak Hidden Power Grass to hit other Water-types. The loss of a Ground-immune has kinda hurt this team, but the extra power is amazing. Life Orb Agility Chinchou is incredibly strong. Having a STAB Thunderbolt is very helpful to this team. While it certainly has a somewhat hard time setting up, it can still work its magic against non-HP Grass Staryu, non-HP Grass Chinchou, and even Elekid. I'm using Ice Beam over Hidden Power Fire/Grass because opposing Chinchou really can't do much to me and Snover is kinda rare since it usually comes in on Gligar which promptly takes a huge chunk out of it with U-turn before Stunky kills it.

[​IMG]
    STINKYgon [​IMG]
    Porygon @ Life Orb
    Trace | Timid
    76 HP / 196 Spe / 236 SpAtk
    - Agility
    - Tri Attack
    - Ice Beam
    - Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt

Porygon is just too freaking strong. Even with a Timid nature, it reaches 19 Special Attack and even higher with a Life Orb. While I have missed the bulk from Oran Berry at some times, the sheer power is enough to make me use it. It sets up on threats to this team like Scarf Gastly locked into Shadow Ball, Scarf Chinchou locked into Thunderbolt, and even Water Absorb Mantyke. People often think that the loss of Download makes Porygon a lot worse. However, Trace is still an amazing ability and actually gives Porygon a lot more situations to set up in. It also is my Agility Chinchou check if I know the Chinchou has HP Grass (which doesn't OHKO my Chinchou), as Porygon survives Hydro Pump and delivers a huge blow with Tri Attack. Shadow Ball and Ice Beam are coverage moves, the former hitting ghosts hard and the latter smashing Gligar. I'm considering Thunderbolt over Shadow Ball since Ice Beam OHKOs Gastly anyways and Aron has an easy set-up on Porygon. Other than that, I've loved the switch to Porygon. It's also the best bot (see #littlecup if you don't know!)

[​IMG]
    STINKYyu [​IMG]
    Staryu @ Life Orb
    Trace | Timid
    240 Spe / 240 SpAtk
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power Fire

When I was using this team, I found that the original lack of a 19 speeder was disturbing. I tried a Overheat/Flare Blitz/Return/Quick Attack Ponyta, as Snover was becoming a problem for this team. However, the weakness to Stealth Rock and the fact that Flare Blitz + Quick Attack was illegal caused me to change to HP Fire Staryu. Staryu gets great coverage with its four moves, basically only losing to Chinchou. Nothing except Munchlax and Chinchou can safely switch into Staryu. Some teams just aren't prepared for Staryu. They switch Wynaut into an Ice Beam only to be promptly KOed by Hydro Pump without activating Oran. Being able to kill SubGastly, tie with Taillow, Gligar, and opposing Staryu, and generally hit like a truck is invaluable for this team. I'm considering using HP Grass over HP Fire due to Snover not really facing Staryu most of the time and Chinchou being annoying.
  2. Elevator Music

Elevator Music
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

(actually iss wrote this i just made it look pretty! and im a postwhore)
    THREAT LIST!

Small threats in italics, big threats in bold.
    Abra[​IMG]- Stunky is a good and reliable switchin. Omanyte can Hydro Pump and survive one Psychic, Gligar OHKOs with U-turn, blah blah blah. It has the defenses of a wet paper bag, so I don't worry about it.

Aipom[​IMG]- Usually leads. Omanyte survives Fake Out + Brick Break. This team really doesn't like taking Fake Outs though, so...

Aron[​IMG]- Can't set up except on Porygon. Gligar can revenge kill.

Bronzor[​IMG]- Bronzor isn't really a threat, but it's quite annoying. Everything on my team except Stunky at least 3HKOs, so I guess it's ok?

Buizel[​IMG]- Aqua Jet and 19 Speed can hurt this team, but Gligar can revenge if it's not low on HP while Porygon, Staryu, and Chinchou just OHKO it.

Carvanha[​IMG]- Staryu is a good check, Gligar can revenge if it isn't low on HP, and Stunky just blows up.

Chimchar[​IMG]- The lead set beats Omanyte, but Chimchar dies to Gligar and Stunky (depending on the set).

Chinchou[​IMG]- Meh, ScarfChou is set up bait if it locks itself into Thunderbolt. AgiliChou is walled by my own Chinchou, and Porygon can revenge if it's max health.

Croagunk[​IMG]- It revenges my sweepers, but Gligar murders it and Stunky can Explode and wins one on one with Sucker Punch. It also can't really switch in, and Chinchou can Thunderbolt if really necessary.

Diglett[​IMG]- It beats Omanyte and can KO Stunky and Staryu, but it's not really a threat...

Dratini[​IMG]- Dratini can almost never set up, and Gligar is around to revenge kill if necessary.

Duskull[​IMG]- Go to Omanyte/Chinchou/Porygon/Staryu on the Will-O-Wisp, then go to Stunky. Crunch OHKOs.

Eevee[​IMG]- Eevee's Quick Attack is really annoying, but I guess Omanyte walls it and Gligar and Stunky revenge it.

Elekid[​IMG]- Unless I'm set up, this thing can kick my butt if Gligar is down and Chinchou is low on HP. Stunky can play mindgames with Crunch/Sucker Punch, but otherwise I'm screwed.

Gastly[​IMG]- Stunky screws it, Gligar U-turns out or 2HKOs with Aqua Tail/Stone Edge, Staryu kills Sub versions, Porygon sets up on Scarf Shadow Ball, Chinchou sets up on Scarf Thunderbolt.

Gligar[​IMG]- Gligar is such a bitch to this team. SD variants, especially bulky ones, really hurt this team. I can only hope to tie with Staryu and kill it or hit it with Aqua Tail from Gligar + Sucker Punch from Stunky. RP versions are Exploded on by Stunky or revenged by Gligar. They aren't that threatening. Scarf is tough, but usually I just work around it. (red to show how threatening it is)

Houndour[​IMG]- Stunky just explodes while everything else can kill it. Not that much of a threat I guess.

Kabuto[​IMG]- In the lead slot it loses to Omanyte. Otherwise Staryu does a good job if rain isn't up, but if rain is up it can be threatening.

Krabby[​IMG]- Chinchou hits it hard, Stunky can revenge. It just can't set up.

Lileep[​IMG]- Everything hits it hard, but it could be annoying if it gets up Stockpiles. Especially in SS.

Machop[​IMG]- Machop sucks. In the lead slot it obviously loses, but ScarfChop is the bane of this team. The only chance I have is to sacrifice something and go to Gligar.

Magby[​IMG]- Magby is kinda annoying, but Chinchou, Staryu (speed tie), Gligar, and Stunky all beat it.

Mankey[​IMG]- Not as bad as Machop, but still annoying. Rare, though.

Mantyke[​IMG]- Chinchou walls it, and Porygon sets up on Water Absorb versions.

Meowth[​IMG]- Omanyte beats it unless it's some retarded Seed Bomb version. Fake Out really hurts this team though...

Munchlax[​IMG]- Stunky just booms, but it walls my main sweepers. I usually just try to weaken it and then revenge with Stunky's Crunch.

Omanyte[​IMG]- Never seen one of these, I guess Chinchou and then Gligar to lure the Earth Power?

Paras[​IMG]- Everything can hit it, except Stunky who can just explode.

Phanpy[​IMG]- Omanyte destroys it

Porygon[​IMG]- Meh, I usually just hit it as hard as possible with whatever I have out. Scarf could be a problem but I haven't seen many Scarf Porygon...

Slowpoke[​IMG]- Stunky murders it. Chinchou and Staryu just Thunderbolt it to death. Porygon Shadow Balls, Gligar U-turns. Not really a threat at all.

Snover[​IMG]- As a lead, unless it's max speed/Scarf AncientPower will murder it. Staryu can't really switch in, but it can HP Fire. Stunky can Crunch/Sucker Punch. Kinda a threat though since it really threatens Gligar and Blizzard is hard to switch into.

Taillow[​IMG]- Probably one of the biggest threats to this team. Staryu can speed tie, but that always seems to fail. Omanyte is a good wall, but it's rarely alive. Gligar can Stone Edge, but it can't switch in. Stunky can play mindgames with Crunch and Sucker Punch, so I guess it's difficult for me to be swept by it, but it will do a huge amount of damage to my team.

Teddiursa[​IMG]- Kinda a problem, but Stunky and Gligar can revenge. If Porygon or Chinchou are out, I'll just Agility on the Protect.

Totodile[​IMG]- Too many pokemon hit it hard. Chinchou and Staryu can probably revenge kill the SD version, and Stunky the DD version.

Voltorb[​IMG]- Difficult. I usually break it's sash when it Rain Dances and then OHKO with my Swift Swim. Rain in general isn't that hard for this team.

Wynaut[​IMG]- Everything except Gligar and Stunky are killed by it. Gligar U-turns out and Stunky just Crunches. Staryu kinda beats it, as Wynaut can't switch in (except on Hydro Pump oddly). Porygon doesn't KO with Shadow Ball, but I guess Wynaut can't switch in either...
  3. sbc

sbc

I've said some of this on IRC but
    - HP Ground > HP Grass on Staryu for added Croagunk coverage
    - You could do with a second fighting resist...consider Wynaut or a Ghost somewhere to help against Scarf Fighting-types
    - You may be vulnerable to full blown Hail teams.

Otherwise I can't see much wrong.
  4. Sledge

Sledge

All I can see right now is that you really have a major Agility Chinchou weakness. If it maganges to get an Agility I can see it easily taking down 2 Pokemon if not more. So because of this I think you should swap out Staryu for Snover. Hail will help your team be even more offensive and Snover takes care of some Pokemon you said you had trouble with, such as Taillow and Gligar. I would personally suggest scarf snover but its up to you. But overall this is a very solid team and grats with the success ^___^
  5. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Great team. The first time I fought this team I lost against it because that Omanyte fucked me up and my team relies on Munchlax.

I would be concerned with threats like Agilityke, Agiligon, and AgiliChou against this team though, because, especially with Omanyte lacking Hidden Power, they will find opportunities to switch in and weaken your own Chinchou. After that's done, you can't really stop it besides with Stunky Sucker Punch....which isn't exactly the most reliable (especially if they carry more than one of these Pokemon...kind of like yourself).

There isn't really a way to change this, but these threats can be outplayed, you just need to carefully use Stunky. I mean, you could use Munchlax over Porygon.

Also, just out of curiosity, are you using Modest Staryu or is that a typo? You describe it as 19 Speed. I'm glad you used my suggested Staryu anyway :)
  6. Elevator Music

Elevator Music
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

No i typo'd it! I caught Porygon but I missed that one

Anyways, Porygon always felt like the weakest member of the team imo (not as far as actual strength but synergy-wise), so I want to replace it for a member that is either a fast revenge killer or some slow defensive poke like munchlax/wynaut/slowpoke

thoughts?
  7. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I'd consider using Scarf Gastly. It's one of my favorite mons, and it helps you with Machop. Additionally, Wynaut would be good to beat other agility users and Machop. I'd try out Wynaut first, it fits better I think.
  8. Master of the Six Kings

Master of the Six Kings

Any reason your chose Jolly on Stunky that runs HP? Seems like Naive would be a better nature, though I realize it isn't a huge difference. Other than that, team is solid and I'd echo Wynaut as a good choice and CS Gaslty as something to keep in mind.
  9. iss

iss happily ever after

Using Wynaut over Porygon is something I am going to test, thanks Heysup, sbc, and Master of the Six Kings!

@Sledge: Taking out Staryu really makes this team too slow, but ScarfSnover is something I might test. It would make this team quite weak to Aron though...

@Master Of The Six Kings: We want to keep defenses as high as possible, and even Jolly HP Ground OHKOs Aron. There really isn't much else to hit hard with HP Ground (maybe vanha, but I usually just boom on it).
  10. iss

iss happily ever after

11. Darkamber8828

Darkamber8828

Obligatory "Good team" comment.

If you run ScarfSnover, perhaps you could turn Gligar into a bulkier SD set to take Fake Outs and Returns? It handily takes 73.1% - 92.3% with 236 hp evs from Jolly Guts Tailow Facade imcac.

All I got. Good job!
  12. iss

iss happily ever after

Thanks for the compliment! I don't really know if I want to use a non-Scarf Gligar, as two things happen with that:

a) This team really misses the free switch from U-turn.
    b) I become quite RPAron weak and even a bit Dratini weak (I rely on a Speed tie/it using Outrage to beat it).

Fake Outs are a problem for this team, but Gligar helps. I'm really considering using Heysup's suggestion of Scarf Gastly to help deal with this weakness and Tailow. Thanks for the advice though!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)