ORAS RU Team Style Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
making this list mostly for myself but also to let people know this thread isnt dead, and if anyone can do any of these help is appreciated
Changes made:
-Moved analysis's into two posts
-Added images to all sample teams
-Worked on descriptions

Things to do:
-Get more teams
-Add images to all threats sections similar to weather
-Replace Sample team section with a specific team and its building process
-Make the third post a collect of the the other teams

Thanks to everyone who has contributed! I have the whole week off from school next week so I'll be finishing this thread most likely then.

It's time to actually finish this thread off. I've changed around a lot, even added an unofficial team style viability ranking to discourage the use of play styles that aren't exactly user friendly at the moment. Feel free to review the descriptions and give me opinions on what they are lacking/over-abundant in. I'm also in need of teams for this for the current RU metagame for the thread. I'd prefer it if they were submitted like how I did this. A banner would be cool too if anyone has the time.

I haven't decided if I really want to add it yet (it's really limited :/) but I've been considering Volturn as a play style in RU, especially with Manectric now being available as well as other drops in the past like Flygon. I'm going to use revive this threads researching phase again for sort of a test of how people think Volturn will work out in RU atm. Make teams and actually test them out and post your thoughts on the current state of Volturn in RU currently.
Some things I'd like to say: if you have to hinder a team in order to make Volturn work on it, that probably means it isn't a good team or Volturn is just bad as a play style. Hazards are really nice, stuff like Tyrantrum seems like a good wincon considering you are trying to beat down Switch/turn resists. Good luck!
Some Pokemon that interests me on this style:

Able to beat one of the most prominent stops to Volt Switch, though it's kind of weak and not as fast as it could be.

Can Defog which is really nice for a team focused on switching.

Able to beat every electric resist, this one's interested me because of its synergy with Manectric.

Decent synergy and beats most grass poison resist with Psychic and Focus Blast.

Other stuff to consider (s/o to Diogo):
Durant, Medicham, Uxie, strong wall breakers like Exploud, Pelipper

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
IMO volt turn is more much better as a compliment to a team to bring a generally frail mons that struggle to find switch-in opportunities or wallbreakers that just cant switch easily due to bad typing or risking potential 2hkos on a misprediction.

Volt turn or the momentum moves (baton pass, volt switch, u-turn) ease the prediction game since instead of risky double switch-ins.

As a style there should certain limits into the amount of pivots you try to fit into a team cause a good amount of them have typing that clashes (too many volt switchers mean too many electrics, a good amount of u-turners are psychic types, baton pass clause) and you need to fill more roles on a team than just pivoting. Pivoting without a goal or something to benefit from it is terrible.

Pivots arent exclusive to a team style hence why it can be considered a style on its own. Balance, offense in particular, benefit a lot from it.

Baseline:

Pivot / Pivot / Pivot / Hazard remover / win condition or setup sweeper / wallbreaker or balance breaker

Constant pivoting takes the toll very easily with hazards on your side so I had to bold that, a hazard remover is imperative.

3 pivots at most imo to have some liberty on the build. There are ways of compressing roles in this (flygon for example) but in general I wouldnt recommend more than 3.

Example team:

(Durant) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head
- Superpower

(Flygon) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost

(Mesprit) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off / Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

(Rotom) @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 136 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Substitute

(Fletchinder)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Taunt / Will-O-Wisp
- Acrobatics
- Roost

(Virizion) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

Simple team to get the concept going. Durant and flygon provide the pivoting, the momentum generation, to bring mons safely. Mesprit is the rocker of choice cause it is my favorite rocker to use on offense cause it checks fighting types, lure and weaken really annoying dark types and all that good stuff. Now, Im not running healing wish on this one in particular cause I felt many psychic types like meloetta and sigilyph had to many chances to annoy the team so I decided to add a lure to weaken them.

Rotom-N cause it helps a lot against bulkier builds, annoying the hell out of them, then fletchinder cause it is the main win condition and additional backup against offense. Taunt to alleviate potential status issues since this mesprit doesnt have healing wish. And virizion cause important rock resist, helps against water types and calm mind virizion is so good.

Replays:

Maybe soon, idk. Hopefully I can grab some good ones.

Cheers. Hope this help someone, everyone.

A status update on this thread: I don't like the descriptions so I'm rewriting them again, this time more way more detailed and not just two lines. Bulky Offense and Balanced are both basically complete, tagging MrAldo to proofread the bulky offense one. The Introduction is also almost done, I want to add a section on Wallbreakers tomorrow and maybe a few more things that my tired mind can't seem to remember. I'm still taking teams and if you'd like to post a change, or your thoughts on a play style go ahead. The Volturn thing is still going though I'm leaning towards not giving it isn't own section.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My thoughts on Balance:

As someone who prefers to use Balance teams and has ever since BW2, I've learned that there's a defensive way to go about building these teams as well. While you can build a Balance team around a sweeper and do very well, there is a more defensive approach that I usually prefer to take. Instead of starting with a sweeper, I usually like to start with a defensive backbone consisting of 2 Pokemon. These Pokemon generally cover the majority of threats defensively and either provide crucial support in the forms of hazards, hazard control, Heal Bell, and / or Wish, or have some sort of offensive presence to keep top setup sweepers, such as Virizion and Mega Abomasnow, at bay. Once I have this defensive backbone, I like to look for a pivot that can come in on at least some (ideally all, but that's not always possible) of the threats that the defensive core can't handle. These threats are usually immediate attackers that don't need a turn to setup to try and break through the core. So say I have Diancie + Alomomola. These two hate Grass-types and don't exactly like Magneton either. This would make Venusaur an excellent pivot since it resists Grass- and Electric-type moves and is neutral to Steel. For balance, there's two types of pivots imo. A defensive pivot that usually focuses on defense first but still has enough offensive presence to keep setup sweepers at bay, and an offensive pivot that has the natural bulk to take resisted hits and immediately threaten opposing teams with powerful attacks. Venusaur can act as both depending on the EV spread, making it a staple on balance teams imo. Once I have my defensive backbone and pivot, I'll then look for a sweeper. After finding the sweeper I want to use, I'll try to use a teamslot to support that sweeper in particular without giving up much defensive synergy. So, for Fletchinder, I would look to Flygon, Blastoise, or Hitmontop depending on if I had Spikes or if I already had a Water-type or not. The last slot, I'd look for a 2nd pivot. If the 1st pivot focused more on defense, I'd look for an offensive one and vice versa. In the end, I feel like a Balance team with a more defensive approach should be built like this: Defensive backbone (usually 2 Pokemon) pivot (can be more defensive or more offensive) 1 sweeper, sweeper support (this could be a revenge killer, hazard control, or even speed control) and 2nd pivot (more defensive or offensive depending on the 1st pivot's focus) this team shows what a more defensive-minded balance team can look like. Diancie and Alomomola cover tons of threats and provide crucial support options. Venusaur covers a lot of what they don't like. Fletchinder is the sweeper and wincon in most cases with Flygon giving it dedicated support. Since Venusaur focuses more on defense, Scrafty is used as the offensive pivot.

Threats:
Mega Abomasnow: This is by far the biggest threat to balance right now imo. Unless you're using Bronzong, Hariyama, or fat Emboar, Mega Abomasnow is usually getting a kill or putting serious strain on your defensive core whenever it comes in. Thanks to its natural bulk, Mega Abomasnow can usually come in on the defensive core rather easily and even the defensive pivot sometimes as well if it lacks a strong super effective STAB. The sweeper and offensive pivot ideally need to be able to deal with Mega Abomasnow on defensive-minded balance teams if it lacks one of the 3 specified options above.

Gallade: Thanks to perfect 3 move coverage and the ability to possibly setup Swords Dance, Gallade is a menace to most balance teams. Common defensive Pokemon, like Qwilfish, Bronzong, and Alomomola are basically setup bait for Gallade while any offensive pivot that's slower is a chance for Gallade to trade KOes. Defensive pivots that lack a way to hit Gallade super effectively or threaten it with status can also be used by Gallade to get in safely (tho it likely won't setup on the defensive pivot if it can at least hit for neutral damage)

Durant: While a balance team will usually never struggle to revenge kill Durant, it will almost always struggle to switch in. When using a defensive-minded balance team, make sure your defensive core and defensive pivot have ways to discourage Durant from switching in freely. The sweeper and offensive pivot should ideally either make Durant very predictable or make it to where it can't switch-in at all. If your sweeper can't do this, your sweeper support slot should.

Venusaur: As great of an asset as Venusaur is to Balance teams, it can also be a nightmare to switch into. Thanks to Venusaur's typing, movepool, and Speed tier, it will likely be able to always use at least 2 components of a Balance team's defensive core (backbone and pivot) to switch-in relatively freely. If your offensive pivot is slower than max Speed Venusaur, make sure that your defensive pivot can weather hits from it because Venusaur will stick around for a long time. Ideally, both your sweeper and sweeper support options should be able to handle Venusaur in some way, but your sweeper should at the very least.

Sigilyph: With an immunity to passive damage and respectable natural bulk, Sigilyph will likely be able to switch-in against defensive parts of a Balance team. It has strong coverage and can't be worn down through status, so a Balance team needs at least 2 Pokemon to immediately threaten it. Ideally, your offensive pivot should handle Sigilyph along with a member of your defensive backbone as it can't run both Energy Ball and Dazzling Gleam. For example, using Diancie with Scrafty will ensure that Sigilyph will never have a cakewalk against your Balance team since they only fall to one move and both can't be run.

Like with any other playstyle, there's definitely more general threats that have to be prepared for, but I feel like that if you prepare for these 5 threats in particular, you'll usually cover the rest of the bigger ones without really trying or meaning to.

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
I just wanted to add on to to the Volturn section. RU has a lot of Volt, but not a lot of turn. Manetric,Jolteon,Rotom-Mow and others gain momentum really well. However there is no real turn complement to the electric types. Most uturners like say Band Flygon have to make decisions between clicking their STAB and clicking Uturn. This limits one of the main reasons of using volturn; It's easy to play and your opponent can't do anything once they get trapped in the vortex of Volturn. Having to constantly make decisions and make the right decisions every single time is something only the pokegod players can pull off. Something that clicks Uturn 90% of the time much like an electric type can click Volt Switch 90% of the time is lacking in RU. The best illustration of my point is Mega-Beedril in UU. All you can do is sit there as Beedril hits Uturn and goes into something with a good matchup. But obviously, we don't have Mega-Beedril. The next best thing? Scyther.

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Scyther comes in, clicks Uturn, and leaves a favorable matchup vs whatever switched into Scyther. You now have a threat in on for example Mega-Steelix and can force MegaLix out. This leads to an endless cycle and Scyther just clicks Uturn for free momentum every single time. Flygon for example has to make decisions with its stabs or uturn and isn't as effective as the primary turner imo. However Scyther's Achilles heel of Stealth Rocks brings me to my next point:

Hazard Removal
Volturn needs needs needs needs needs needs effective hazard removal. There is no point in styling over your opponent and catching them in a vortex if you are the one getting worn out instead of them. Hazard removal absolutely needs to be a priority during teambuilding. I would go as far saying to run 2 hazard removers or a Magic Bouncer like Xatu along with a hazard remover.

Blastoise and Flygon are the best hazard removers for Volturn. Flygon can run a bulky set and steal momentum back, and Blastoise is a really solid backbone for a Volturn team.

OFFICIAL TSA TEAMBUILDING COMPETITION

Now that Durant has finally been banned, this tier should be stable enough to work towards finishing this thread. If you look at the stall section, that's the official new format of section. This way it expresses not just roles but also shows how real teams cover these roles. I need more teams for this (at least 3 per style) so if I'm challenging all humans on this site to create a good team in the current meta (I scratched all old teams for now). This way people not only have motivation to try RU without Durant but also can do something "productive". Multiple submissions are allowed and not all teams will be accepted this time sry :(

-Bulky Offense
-Hyper Offense
-Balance
-Stall
-Semistall

Post teams here!

edit: Sunday, April 24th, at 11:59 EST is the deadline​

Last edited:

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
HO TEAM:

So this is my HO team that I've been using to success which is based around either weakening walls out early with Vivilion and cleaning with Tyrantrum or vice versa (notice how they share similar counters so they both work towards wearing each others counters down) 4 atks Absol with iron tail can help put fairies on the back foot with a semi lure and Accelgor provides speed control by being able to outspeed most common scarfers besides flygon. Hitmonlee provides emergency hazard support in case you let rocks up(which you ideally shouldn't) and also serves as a huge nuke with priority to boot. Archeops is a suicide lead and people with meta knowledge will indeed know that it is in fact a lead pokemon, but it still gets rocks up and dies anyways which is what its job is.

Archeops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Energy Ball

Absol @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Accelgor @ Life Orb
Ability: Sticky Hold
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Iron Head

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Bulky Offense

Pretty straight forward consisting of manectric and a classic pursuit trapper + fighting type which is a pretty combo to build around. Manectric benefits a lot from the recent durant ban since while it didnt affect it directly, it made jolteon a more appealing electric type thanks to the huge extra speed. Now with durant gone, it has a chance to shine once more. Not inviting virizion like jolteon does is really nice. Fighting type + pursuit trapper is a classic in RU and still really effective. Choice scarf medicham gives the team a needed weapon for offensive builds and gives the team a more reactive tool to opposing tyrantrum and emboar. Sneasel is perhaps the best pursuit trapper in the tier thanks to the great speed and making the 50/50 against psychic types less painful and outspeeding virizion is fantastic. Iron tail cause lol diancie, ice shard is a legit option here tbh.

Mega steelix + blastoise provides the defensive backbone with the giant iron snake providing rocks and a blanket check to a ton of mons, blastoise provides spin support and pseudo status absorption thanks to refresh, and a really important fire type resist. Flygon completes the team providing a great offensive pivot and powerful wallbreaker and I felt I could afford choice band since why not, it also provides a really important ground immunity. Main issue of this team is that... medicham is the fighting resist, lol but oh well. Virizion is a threat so apply pressure.
Manectric @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

Sneasel @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail
- Icicle Crash

Medicham @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick
- Trick

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 232 HP / 96 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Refresh
- Scald
- Toxic

Flygon @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
NP Togetic Dual Regenerator Balance

P neat balance with a hard to break defensive core consisting of Slowking, Togetic and the slowly but surely returning Registeel. Spreading paralysis is important for this team since i have a few bulky attackers in Flygon and Tangrowth to dish out some strong LO boosted hits. Scarfboar is there to revenge-kill threats like Virizion.
Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 216 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave

Flygon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Defog
- Roost

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 72 SpA / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sucker Punch

bulky offense

This team uses Hoopa and sneasel to whittle threats, with the backbone of diancie and toise. Diancie functions as heal beller and hazard setter, promoting the longevity of the team, while also checking threats like fletch. Toise is a very nice spinner and also spreads toxic to the opposing team. Hoopa hits opposing teams very hard with psychic + shadow ball stab, and sneasel assists through trapping checks such as meloetta, or knocking off opposing bulky mons items. Virizion functions as a late game sweeper but also can act as a switch in for many bulky waters and attacking presence early in the game. Braviary assists this team with stally and balanced builds as it can set up a substitute of a variety of passive mons like alo, amoonguss, togetic, toise, etc and proceed to set up.

Hoopa @ Leftovers
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Sneasel @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Low Kick
- Icicle Crash

Blastoise @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Diancie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Sassy Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

Braviary @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Substitute

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Balance

This is a pretty cool balanced team that I made a couple of weeks ago before the Durant ban, and it's still pretty good in the current meta. I built it around Offensive Trick Room Cofagrigus, a pretty cool and underrated threat that's a nice cleaner late-game and can do some real damage with Nasty Plot boosts. It also checks stuff like Medicham with Mummy, which is nice. While Virizion can't exactly take advantage of Trick Room herself, she makes a good partner to Cofag as a Dark-type check, and as a secondary win condition or wallbreaker with Swords Dance. Diancie was added as another Dark check, and as a Fire and Flying check that could set up Stealth Rock (Offensive TR LO with SR / TR / Dual STABs also works well if you want to take a more offensive approach with Trick Room). Rotom-Fan may have gotten worse with the Durant ban, but I still like him on this build as he works as a great Fighting and Steel check that can spread around status and be an effective pivot in general, even without hazard removal. Escavalier was added to check non-HP Fire Venusaur and also check Psychic-types by Pursuit trapping them (Choice Band Escav also works, like Diancie, if you want to take more offensive approach with the Trick Room) Last but not least, Qwilfish adds Spikes and TSpikes, both of which Cofag loves to sweep easier, and also adds another Fighting and Fire check, as well as spreading status with Scald. Overall, while the build is pretty slow, Trick Room helps take advantage of this, and Virizion is still pretty fast, which helps against offensive builds. It's a pretty effective and unorthodox balance build that still functions in the current meta imo.

Cofagrigus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 2 Spe
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

Diancie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell / Trick Room

Rotom-Fan @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Drill Run

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes

Semistall (I guess)

Builded and used this for hpl, this is my try to build a viable stallish team in ru, had the idea watching how ABR OU Stall works (the weavile one); the goal of the team is to wear down opposite mons by inflicting damaging status, Alomomola+Amoonguss is a strong defensive regen core that actually walls a nice part of the metagame and can be really annoying to face thanks to Scald/SBomb poison/burn rate paired with KOff to deny Lefties recovery. MSteelix is a nice add to the core having a nice type sinergy with the regen core (also loves wishes from Momola :3) and granting Stealth Rock support and Toxic lure for bulky waters; Flygon helps with hazards control to avoid to be overstacked by spikes, also I've been using Toxic Flygon because I like to have a fast pokemon that carries it (actually helps luring things that I tend to suffers, like CM King, Eelektross or BU Braviary), but U-turn is definetely a nice option (a lot more with Sneasel support). Sneasel is here to trap dangerous things for stall (mostly psychic mons, Hoopa/Sigilyph and Meloetta should all be dangerous for my team), also helps out with some sneaky offensive grass threats. CM Meloetta is here mostly to clean games or helping against other stall, also is a nice bait for darks and helps dealing with Venusaur that's someway tricky for my team. IK I maybe got some strange evs on Flygon and Steelix, but I feel more comfortable at maximizing bulkyness (and outspeeding Venusaur in the Flygon case).

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Wish
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb

Sneasel @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Meloetta @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 162 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn / Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Defog

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Bulky Offense

Manectric is a really cool mon rn with typing and Ability to check Fletchinder and stop voltswitch besides coverage to hit lix/flygon what helps the rest of the team, Mawile is another one with his typing/support moves/traith/momentum that mon fites p well providing to the team the role compression it needs. Sigilyph provides a pseudo check to basicaly everthing with sash it can revenge kill a lot of thing with his greath coverage or even just tw them and let another teammate finish the work. SD Drapion helps to break defensive/slow cores shucka or lum berry is up to you, an finally we have sd Samurot and Scarf Tyrantrum both big threaths to any team basicaly they work for one of they sweep.

Can't Stop (Manectric) @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Vícios e Virtudes (Drapion) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Battle Armor
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Broken (Mawile) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Baton Pass
- Fire Fang

Feel Good (Sigilyph) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Thunder Wave
- Energy Ball

Kenshin (Samurott) @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet

Jurassic Emperor (Tyrantrum) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
Stall

diancie and alomomola started out as my base for pretty much obvious reasons. diancie provides rocks while checking the prominent fires such as houndoom and delphox and aids the whole team with the use of heal bell. alomomola functions as the obligatory bulky water needed to pass of fat wishes to keep other mons alive. knock>toxic seems pretty much standard nowadays, and in this case, helps my matchup against meloetta to prevent it from getting behind a sub. slowking is used as a medicham check and a secondary check to fightings with the use of colbur berry. golbat fit in nicely to handle the matchup against virizion and because of defog to alleviate the pressure of hazards, which put it over other options such as supergeist as a virizion check. lastly, mlix fits in as a exploud check and an overall solid mon that can shuffle out setup mons to prevent the sweep.

http://hastebin.com/eteluzajit.md

Thanks for all the team submissions guys! I'm making the final due date on next Sunday, April 24th, at 11:59 EST or whenever I look at the thread that Monday. From there we will have a voting session to decide the best teams in each play style!

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
you decide

Mina (Spiritomb) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Kankuro (Garbodor) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic
- Toxic Spikes

Mc Sapon (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earth Power

Captain America (Braviary) @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Shura (Virizion) @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Zen Headbutt

Jurassic Emperor (Tyrantrum) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Superpower

again you decide

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Tail
- Fire Blast

Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 232 HP / 96 Atk / 4 Def / 80 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Def / 28 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost

Slowking @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

love Brick Small. and MrAldo

Last edited:

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Bulky offense

Hymn of Light (Medicham) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Baton Pass
- Trick

Aurora (Camerupt-Mega) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic

Magna's Heart (Blastoise) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Refresh

Little Girl, Gen (Diancie) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock

Funeral Dirge (Sigilyph) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Calm Mind

Off to Sleep (Sneasel) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick

Balance

Acperience 1 (Diancie) @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Heal Bell

Sky Lock Gate (Flygon) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Outrage

World's End Garden (Venusaur) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

Crackpot (Spiritomb) @ Black Glasses
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Motion Blue (Poliwrath) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Scald
- Circle Throw
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Paradise Lost (Meloetta) @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

Stall

Umbra Nigra (Weezing) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp

Desiderium (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Puella in Somnio (Diancie) @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast

Pugna Cum Maga (Hitmontop) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Foresight

Venari Strigas (Slowking) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Gradus Prohibitus (Virizion) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 48 SpD / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Offense

Mawile @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Baton Pass
- Super Fang

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 120 Atk / 136 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Double-Edge
- Freeze-Dry
- Taunt

Kabutops @ Lum Berry
Ability: Weak Armor
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Hex

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Toxic

Stall/Defensive Balance

I suck at descriptions so bear with me. This team is a really standard Stall team, with Alomomola and Registeel to check Physical things and Diancie and Tangrowth to check special things, the idea is to set up rocks and switch into things to check everything and force switches, and with Alomomola you can keep your team healthy. Flygon is here for some much-needed speed to the team as well as emergency defog if it's needed, and Musharna serves as a bulky wincon after everything has been worn down by Rocks and Toxic.

Amolin (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Scald

Registeel @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

Diancie @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog

Shoutouts to EonX for helping me build this!

Edited because Kableye pointed out how fighting weak the team was. Thanks Kableye!

Last edited:

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Bulky Offence

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Spiritomb @ Dread Plate
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 104 Def / 172 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Toxic Spikes

Bulky offensive hazard stack, evs on toad to guarantee 3 switch-ins vs megalix and generally help it take physical hits a bit better

Balance Bulky Offense

Tangrowth (F) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace

Slowking @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Haze

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Flygon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Defog

Diancie @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Trick Room

A balance team I've been working on, very standard ofc but we need more standardish teams here. S/o to MrAldo and Arifeen for checking over it and making Virizion less of a pain. Anyway the goal of the team is to win with Diancie, who is supported by CM Slowking and hazards. Defog goes against the hazards but Flygon is more there for speed as this team really needs it. It also breaks bulky waters and grass types for Diancie. Tangrowth is a much needed water pivot and Virizion counter, while Slowking + Steelix also serve to check their respective mons. Sorry for the lack luster descriptions but this team has gone through a lot of changes, pretty much every Pokemon except for Slowking has been changed from something else and in some cases changed back.

Anyway, this will end tonight if I'm awake to update it or tomorrow when I get off of school, either way I'm hoping to make/acquire another (Hyper) Offense and semistall team, so if you have one feel free to post!

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Balance

I wanted to build around Choice Scarf Delphox, as it's the fastest Choice Scarf user after Durant getting banned. However, I was unsure if I need the Speed on the team, as I outspeed most relevant Choice Scarf users, barring like Choice Scarf Drapion and Flygon, both of which I have counters of. Therefore, I went with Modest and didn't use Trick, because I wouldn't want my Scarf to be gone, and thus utilized on maximum coverage. I added Gurdurr to have a decent win con that can also switch into Virizion, and can check Dark-types like Houndoom. I then added Venusaur as a bulky Water-type counter, because that benefits Delphox a lot. Venusaur is also the main balance breaker of the team, and you could also utilize Knock Off over HP Fire with proper Nature to cripple Golbats. Alomomola + Registeel is a great core, as they check a plethora of attackers in the tier and an overall hard core to break. Finally, I added Flygon as a Defog user and overall support. This team struggles with Fighting spam, but does not downright lose to them, therefore, has to be played carefully versus Medicham and Sawk.
Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Knock Off
- Synthesis

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Registeel @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 132 HP / 124 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)