Team that got me to #1 on the shoddy ladder

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
He didn't mean SR weak by itself. He meant he was weak to a general spikes/sr strategy, and the only pokemon that avoids it is zong. And he's right. Skarmory can set up on 3 pokemon no problem. I don't see a spinner fitting anywhere though, so there's no reason to change an obviously successful team to solve a rare problem. Just know if your opponent is running competent pure spikes/sr stall there's absolutely no way you're going to win.

Yes, 3 steels, but Zapdos won't enjoy the SR hits!! 50% my friend, 50%!

I don't think he was NR. 1 on shoddy!
25%. Please take Maths classes.

Bronzong: 6.25%
Dugtrio: 6.25%
Jirachi: 6.25%
Blissey: 12.5%
Zapdos: 25%
Heatran: 12.5% (?)

OMG STEALTH ROCK WEAK

Edit: Jabba makes a valid point.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
He didn't mean SR weak by itself. He meant he was weak to a general spikes/sr strategy, and the only pokemon that avoids it is zong. And he's right. Skarmory can set up on 3 pokemon no problem. I don't see a spinner fitting anywhere though, so there's no reason to change an obviously successful team to solve a rare problem. Just know if your opponent is running competent pure spikes/sr stall there's absolutely no way you're going to win.
Bronzong does have Hypnosis, you know..seeing how it's the lead, Skarmory would come up early in the game, eager for the spikes set up, and would promptly be slept. Or if the opponent outpredicts and changes pokemon, then atleast now lockon could predict skarm switch-ins for a free switch to his heatran / zapdos / jirachi. Forced switches would wear out skarmory with SR. The few time Skarmory will find chance to recover / set up, is when Blissey Wishpasses or after Dugtrio-revenge kills. Plus, he has a reliable Wish Passer to keep his already sturdy pokemon from being worn down by SR and Spikes, not to mention his Roost Zapdos.

If the opponent's SR / Spikes + Sandstream heavy team contains a Shuckle, it could be a pain in the ass with its Knock Off and Toxi-Stall, though. The best bet would have been Jirachi if Shuckle doesn't know Encore. Hopefully, it doesn't, or you somehow weaken it enough to force it to Rest so that Jirachi could set up and fire enhanced Psychics.

The one thing I don't like about this team is that only Jirachi stands a chance at killing a Blissey, which may be a good thing if Blissey serves as a free set-up bait. However, with only 40 Sp Atk evs, it won't be as easy as I would like.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"competent"

and you can't rely on blissey to provide proper wish support when it comes in on 37.5% damage every time it switches it.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, I'll admit that SR-Spikes Team would have an advantage, but this team still has enough durability and resistances to make it a tough match.

As for Zapdos, I think it could also contribute to wearing the opponent's team down by having Roar over TWave. With Roar, Zapdos could rack up SR damage. Not only does the other team accumulate SR damage, but it also buys Zapdos another 1 or 2 turns to heal itself. Not to mention it provides a phazer to this team, which I think your team really needs, since a Pokemon like Bronzong could be a set-up bait. It's only an alternative to T-Wave's fps and speed reductions however.

And yet the T-Wave is essential to the strategy... And it's the only T-Waver he has. However, he doesn't have a Phazer as well. I'm not too sure what you do about set-uppers, but it does look like a solid team to me.

Toxic Spikes isn't a problem, as only Blissey/Dugtrio are affected by it, and Dugtrio doesn't care about the HP drop, and Blissey laughs at it with Natural Cure.

Stealth Rock, as showed, isn't a threat. The only one weak against it is Zapdos, who has Roost.

... Spikes however... Only Bronzong and Zapdos laughs at it. The rest of you team will take severe damage.

And at a team like yours, when Blissey takes 37.5% coming in, and tries to wish it off, something will happen. Especially with TSpikes and Sandstorm raking up the damage.

Given the fact however, that you are indeed #1 on Shoddy, it's probably not a big deal, but you should still beware of the TSS strategy.

This team must have had some long and annoying stall wars with blissey. Jirachi is the only thing that can take it down and that's only with 6 calm minds. Normally, decent players wouldn't keep blissey in against a jirachi anyway because even if it's not the CM version, it will be the wish version and blissey can kill neither.

The above seems to show that the team lacks powerful offense while also not wearing things down with indirect damage. It's highly defensive but not quite a stall team. I can only imagine that a lot of games end up being stall wars. Not my cup of tea but if it works then that's fine. Personally I would definitely get at least 1 hard and fast hitter with priority going to being able to own blissey.

IggyBot said:
If anything, I suggest changing your spread to 244 HP / 56 SpAtk / 208 SpDef now. After testing it, that much extra SpDef really helps. Turning Starmie's Surf into a 3HKO is a great thing indeed.
Mekkah said:
Leftover numbers are pretty much worthless.
Just max HP goddamnit.

I'm not going to reply to everyone's comments, mostly because IggyBot and goofball replied to them. (I'm talking to you, Xaio.)

I know this is only on Shoddy but I don't think you can get a Bold WishBliss w/o hacking. I know Jimbo422 has a Modest one, but I'm not that sure about Bold.

PS: This is only a comment. I know this is for Shoddy. You can do almost anything with a Pokemon on Shoddy.
Thanks for the information, does anyone care Bold WishBlissey is used? If so, I'll change it to Quiet or Calm.

Beside, the lame wobba problem your main problem would be SD lucario as Zapdos is the only thing that can survive lol
Yes, wobba is a bitch x(. I'm hoping it gets moved up to ubers again soon, or else I might get something that can actually do something to it.

SDLucario is also a bitch, taking out anything my team has if Zapdos is death. That Stealth Rock weakness is something I really hate, and I'm actually considering adding a rapid spinner on my team, preferally something that can also counter Lucario to an extent. I'm thinking about Donphan, as it isn't ohkod by a life orb sd close combat. It also gives me another rock resist, which my team would love to have. Even better, it has Ice Shard to do some damage to Garchomp.

Yes, 3 steels, but Zapdos won't enjoy the SR hits!! 50% my friend, 50%!

I don't think he was NR. 1 on shoddy!
I wasn't #1, I am #1. Why the fuck would I lie about my ladder status?

Given the fact however, that you are indeed #1 on Shoddy, it's probably not a big deal, but you should still beware of the TSS strategy.
My team has indeed quite some trouble with TSS, which is way I am considering adding a Rapid Spinner, although I have no idea who to replace x(.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok, first of all, who said this was a defensive team? it's a balanced team. jiraichi's a sweeper, dugtrio's a revenge killer, heatran and zapdos are bulky sweepers. theres also no residual damage on this team, so i really can't see how this is a defensive team.
All six of the pokemon are defensively eved, none of them have any way to stat up save for Jirachi (which is the offensive centerpiece of the team, granted, but still)

how is this team stealth rock weak? 3 steels my friend, 3 steels.
Take Heatran out of the equation, it's neutral.

But I'm speaking to Spikes more than Stealth Rock; a team that

1: is mostly defensive
2: it's main form of offense is setup
3: is 4/6th ground based

cannot afford to be taking 12-25% damage a turn, especially since you will be switching in and out a lot until you can get Jirachi going. I am of course speaking of a situation in which there is only one layer of Spikes down and Stealth Rock.

SD Life Orb Weavile? Not really, seeing that Jirachi is 2HKOed. CB Weavile is more prediction-reliant but one mis-prediction (i.e bringing Heatran in on an expected Night Slash and taking a Brick Break in the groin and CB Weavile becomes much more of a threat, seeing that Heatran's your only safe switch to it. Of course, Duggy can revenge CB Weavile any time it wants (but LO Weavile can Ice Shard obviously).

I'm thinking about Donphan, as it isn't ohkod by a life orb sd close combat.
Yes, that would solve your problems right there - take out Bronzong (which honestly doesn't add much to your team besides sleep), and lead Zapdos.

As for Magnezone, here's your problem - there's no way Magnezone is going to kill your steel without Magnet Rising first. Which means you're probably not getting that Duggy revenge kill, especially if its a Subbing Magnet Riser.

I said I wasn't overly impressed, not because it's not a good team, (it is, and I can see how a good player can win with it) but because on paper, it seemed to have a few weaknesses that could be exploited by skilled players (in short, it's not an almost-perfect 99.6% coverage-type team in my view). Even the threats I mentioned are not an absolute kill situation for you; if you outplay them, then you can get around it easily.

Yes, that would solve your problems right there - take out Bronzong (which honestly doesn't add much to your team besides sleep), and lead Zapdos.
Bronzong is there to counter Mamoswine and Swampert, who else run rampant on this team. It also puts something to sleep, and lies down stealth rock. The only thing I am really considering is either Earthquake over Gyro Ball, or Shed Shell over leftovers.

I'm catching up to you, lockon! Doorman will get there!

Didn't I beat you, precisely because my team had all the aforementioned problematic pokemon? Wobbuffet, and set up 6 layers of spikes, and you *will* be outstalled, since Jirachi is your only offense.
I'm not sure if it was this team, though I do remember losing to you and your damn wobba ,_,

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bronzong is there to counter Mamoswine and Swampert, who else run rampant on this team. It also puts something to sleep, and lies down stealth rock. The only thing I am really considering is either Earthquake over Gyro Ball, or Shed Shell over leftovers.
Hey...put HP Grass on Zapdos! This seems to play like an ADV team anyway :)

It will definitely take care of your Swampert problem (especially since nobody actually expects HP Grass)...Mamoswine is a bigger issue though; HP Grass can dent it and with your spread, you'll survive at least 2 Ice Shards (be careful of predicted Earthquakes on your Roosts)

Garchomp's still a problem for you, (Shard just won't do enough even after you get rid of the berry) but it's a problem for you either way, but at least you've solved your TSS problems. Donphan can set up rocks too (EQ, Ice Shard, Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock)

EQ over Gyro Ball means Weavile sets up for free. (EQ does a decent amount, but it still buys Weavile at least one SD). And if it's packing Shard > Punch, you're in deep trouble.

Shed Shell works though if you keep Bronzong.

I'm catching up to you, lockon! Doorman will get there!

Didn't I beat you, precisely because my team had all the aforementioned problematic pokemon? Wobbuffet, and set up 6 layers of spikes, and you *will* be outstalled, since Jirachi is your only offense.
Your freaking Wobba came out on my Hippo, which made me failed to place out Stealth Rocks, which ultimately destroyed me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)