Team to beat Prime and Castle in Stadium 1

Discussion in 'Historical Threads' started by Vader_the_White, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Vader_the_White

Vader_the_White

I've always wanted to beat Prime Cup (Master Ball) and Gym Leader Castle, but I can never seem to win. So I need some suggestions on a team I built (kinda) based on the Pokemon suggestions on this site:

Mewtwo
    [​IMG]
    Psychic/Amnesia/Substitute/Recover

Lapras
    [​IMG]
    Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Body Slam/Confuse Ray

Jolteon
    [​IMG]
    Focus Energy/Thunderbolt/Pin Missile/Double Kick

Golem
    [​IMG]
    Earthquake/Rock Slide/Body Slam/Explosion

Tauros
    [​IMG]
    Body Slam/Blizzard/Hyper Beam/Earthquake

Starmie
    [​IMG]
    Surf/Ice Beam/Recover/Thunderbolt

I need suggestions and comments.

I've managed to beat Gym Leader Castle and Prime Cup in R1. I have yet to go to round 2, since I still need to beat Pika Cup, and the last 2 difficulty level on Poke Cup.
  2. Colonel Darren

Colonel Darren

I'd replace Golem with perhaps Rhydon, simply for more power. You'd lose Explosion though, but I do believe Rhydon learns Swords Dance in Gen 1.

Have you considered Tradebacks to be available to you? I'm pretty sure if you allowed it, Alakazam can certainly use the Elemental Punches.

Tauros seems a little iffy. I would reccomend Snorlax with a set of Body Slam, Earthquake, Hyper Beam, and Selfdestruct. You seem to carry plenty of paralysis support for the big guy.
  3. Vader_the_White

Vader_the_White

I don't have GSC. All I have are RBY. So tradebacks are completly unavailable. Otherwise, I would use the elemental punches.
    Another problem is that I currently have no Earthquake TMs (How I envy Generation V infinite use TMs). I'm not resetting Yellow, in Red, it will be taught to my single run Blastiose, so Blue is the only place left where I can get Earthquake currently. That is why I want to use Golem instead of Rhydon, since Golem learns its movelist completely by level-up.
    I'll consider Snorlax since you pointed out all the paralysis my team has.
  4. Crystal_

Crystal_
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner

Starmie is usually very useful in-game I think. And Golem is not.
  5. MegaMewtwo

MegaMewtwo

Any reason you're not playing with Missingno to get a crapton of TMs? It's a LOT less dangerous than people say it is.

On a different note, why is Mewtwo not tearing through everything? It did for me, and this was before I understood the ridiculousness of Amnesia (I ran Psychic, BoltBeam and Recover). I did have a Mew (same set except Softboiled since Mew can't Recover) to back it up though. Hardly anything got through those two.
  6. Colonel Darren

Colonel Darren

The Missingno glitch is relatively safe when simply cloning items as long as you don't catch the thing. You can then store some copied TMs on the Stadium Cartridge itself and simply teach the moves using Oak's PC later.

I reccomend going through the game of Blue without using any important TMs like Earthquake and Ice Beam. Save them, clone them. I can understand your desire for Golem to learn it naturally, and I reccomend Rhyhorn/Rhydon only if you can copy the moves.

I'd also reccomend dropping Body Slam on Lapras for Surf or Hydro Pump (Not sure if Lapras can learn the latter.). You have three users of Body Slam and Thunder Wave, and Lapras won't be doing any good hits with Body Slam anytime soon. You might prefer having a good way to kill off enemy Fire types, as all you have to attack them with is simply Thunderbolt.
  7. Vader_the_White

Vader_the_White

I had yet to capture Mewtwo when I last did the Prime Cup.
    Also, I do not know how to use the Missingno. glitches.

I will teach Lapras Surf, since I really wasn't paying attention to the large repeats of moves (which is not like me at all, since I usually do not let that many re-useage in my later teams).
  8. Colonel Darren

Colonel Darren

9. coolking49

coolking49

Im pretty sure it only destroys everything if you try to withdraw it from your box. otherwise, if you already have it in your party, only the hall of fame is screwed up.
  10. Colonel Darren

Colonel Darren

I wouldn't try to start up Stadium at all connected with the Missingno Pokemon in your party, box, or whatever you have it caught in. Very bad things might happen.
  11. MegaMewtwo

MegaMewtwo

Nope, it's fine. Missingno can't be used in any battles but shows up in the lab as a Substitute doll (interestingly, Missingno is affected by the colour change that nicknames cause).

Nope. Lv0 'M freezes the game upon withdrawal. Data's just fine. Hall of Fame messes up just by meeting the glitches.

Jeez, what do you people do after catching Missingno to corrupt stuff? I caught a whole bunch of them back in the old days and the worst they ever did was crap up the graphics after sending them out. No files ever died.
  12. Colonel Darren

Colonel Darren

I never fought Missingno or caught it. I usually just used a Pokedoll when cloning. I guess just a bit of paranoia after hearing about it from my freinds. I was 10 or 11 at the time, cut me some slack. It's been over ten damn years since then now.

I did not know that Missingno is still viewable in Stadium in the Lab. I just assumed it would wreck up your N64 game. Huh.
  13. Örly

Örly

Rhydon is actually worse because of the lack of Explosion. Sure it has overall more Special and Defense (both of which are slight), but Golem has Explosion which is much more useful. Golem would only be inferior if it weren't running Explosion (all of them do). In fact, most people I've seen who play RBY use Golem over Rhydon simply for that reason.

Also, considering you don't have GSC, why not use Starmie over Alakazam? It may have less Special but it has better type coverage and can actually take a physical hit. Jolteon over Zapdos is another consideration I'd want you to take. With the Focus Energy glitch fixed, Jolteon would be hitting critical almost all the time.

Jolteon
    -Focus Energy
    -Thunderbolt
    -Pin Missile
    -Substitute / Double Kick
    With Focus Energy, Jolteon can actually break through things like Exeggutor, Chansey, and even Rhydon.
  14. Colonel Darren

Colonel Darren

SubRhydon could work out rather well in place of Golem Exploding. Nice way to ease if the enemy decides to haul ass out of their Electric and into something like a Grass. Good way to get at least one shot in guaranteed before you would have to do the same.

I'd also choose to run Substitute over Double Kick on that Jolteon. The ability to block rather annoying Paralysis and Toxic from the stronger walls like Chansey and Sleep Powder from Exeggutor seem more than worth coverage over Rhydon and the other Grounds.
  15. Rogan

Rogan

Use:
    Mewtwo
    Rest
    Psychic
    Amnesia
    Blizzard

Your Current Snorlax

and Dragonite
    Hyper Beam
    Body Slam
    Thunderbolt
    Blizzard

I have yet to find an NPC in stadium that can beat that. Barring extreme hax, and even then its unlikely. Mewtwo should go out first, use amnesia once or twice, rest off any damage or status and slaughter everything. A few pokes give this strategy trouble: chansey, exeggutor, zam and snorlax. If you encounter one of these use snorlax to explode and have nite finish it with whatever attack comes to mind. Then hyperbeam the next poke. (Or use a super effective attack) Mewtwo will easily dispose of anything with these Pokemon out of the way. Keep in mind only chanse or snorlax can really stop Mewtwo and snorlax has to explode while chansey relys on luck. If Mewtwo has an amnesia or two its game over for the NPC.
  16. -Eddie-

-Eddie-

All you need is Mewtwo.

Mewtwo
    - Substitute
    - Amnesia
    - Psychic
    - Recover

The AI is very status happy, so they'll constantly try and status you. So set up a Sub, Amnesia/Recover as it tries to break your sub, Sub when it tries to status you again, repeat as necessary. After using Amnesia twice (you'll max out after two), kill everything. This isn't theorymoning either, I have cleared Prime Cup and Gym R2 with this set alone. In fact, I'm trying to collect all of the trophies of the pokemon in the victory hall, so I'm using Mewtwo plus five filler to fill up the set and constantly re-challenging the E4. Only have 15 Pokemon left ;)

Sorry if I ruined this for you, expecting some kind of challenge, but Stadium 1 really doesn't require any strategy at all. Just Mewtwo.
  17. Vader_the_White

Vader_the_White

Since I have all 3 Gen I games, I'll try this as well. I'd still prefer a whole team, though. But, this will likely get me my Surfing Pikachu on Yellow.

I was running a rental team on Stadium, and I see how Alakazam is really weak physically. Sandshrew with a Earthquake, how embarrassing! So I changing it into Starmie.
  18. Colonel Darren

Colonel Darren

You now have a problem taking Thunderbolts since half your team is Water. I reccomend dropping Zapdos (You have plenty of Ice and Electric moves on your team to power through opposing Ground and Flying.) for Exeggutor.

Sleep Powder
    Leech Seed
    Stun Spore
    Psychic

A nice way to spread some Status, keeping Zapdo's paralysis support with some Leech Seed on walls to help your team possibly set up, and get a guaranteed free switch and turn with a powder. Relatively bulky too. It'll easily laugh at any non-Fire hits, and even then, Exeggutor isn't going to just roll over and die from that.

Great synergy with Golem and Snorlax as well. Golem can easily come in on any Fire or Bug moves thrown at Exeggutor, and Snorlax can take advantage of the lowered speed and Sleep of foes. Exeggutor also resists everything Golem is weak to save a shared Ice weakness, and you have Lapras and Starmie to fix that.
  19. Örly

Örly

I would not switch Zapdos for Exeggutor (at least not with that set). Leech Seed is completely worthless especially when you have Mega Drain. Also, the AI will rarely switch, so Stun Spore isn't useful at all either. Sleep Powder is a good move but is not nearly as good as it was in the GB games (4 turns max sleep).

I'd recommend Jolteon. At first you may think I'm retarded. However, with Focus Energy being fixed in Stadium, Jolteon's sweeping potential is nearly untouched. Jolteon will almost always land a critical hit, 2HKOing many Pokemon.

Jolteon
    -Focus Energy
    -Thunderbolt
    -Pin Missile
    -Substitute / Double Kick

Also, if you haven't beaten all of the long-ranged trainers (listed here http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76269), you can simply use the Ditto Glitch to obtain a Mew.

Mew
    -Swords Dance
    -Double-Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Softboiled
  20. Vader_the_White

Vader_the_White

Huh? Only 1/3 of my team is Water. Water's weaknesses are Grass and Electric, and I can easily counter both, due to the ton of Ice moves and Earthquake.
    I agree that I should drop Zapdos, since I do have a lot of Electric moves.

Also, I do have many a Mew. I don't like recoil, though. Even with a heal move.
  21. Örly

Örly

This is very minor, but I'd recommend replacing Ice Beam on Lapras and Starmie with Blizzard. Blizzard has 120 power (+ STAB for Lapras) and 90 accuracy in RBY. Ice Beam is generally used if you are stalling (Pokemon like Chansey). For Lapras, I'd also recommend you switch back Surf back to Body Slam. Water gives you little coverage when you have BoltBeam. You only gain better coverage on Rhydon/Golem and Fire-types (the only important ones are hit by Blizzard super-effectively anyways). Body Slam allows you to use Parafusion very efficiently, allowing Lapras to power through Chansey.

May I also recommend you switch Hyper Beam for another move with Snorlax? In Stadium the Hyper Beam glitch is fixed, causing you to recharge even if you have killed the opponent with Hyper Beam. I'd recommend Surf to nail Golem and Rhydon. Maybe even AmnesiaLax would work. It's all up to you. Maybe you should try both and see which one works better?

Snorlax
    -Body Slam
    -Earthquake
    -Surf
    -Selfdestruct

Snorlax
    -Amnesia
    -Ice Beam / Blizzard
    -Thunderbolt / Body Slam
    -Rest
    Just mix and match to your preferences and your team's needs.
  22. RaikouLover

RaikouLover

This is not a joke. I've done the same with the exact style set, cept I went with Psychic / Amnesia / Barrier / Rest. This set actually looks better. All you need is Mewtwo. Everything else is irrelevant. If you want an ACTUAL team and not Mewtwo, I recommend using 3 psychics, Golem, a normal, and Jolteon. Something like Alakazam / Starmie / Eggy or Jynx / Persian or Tauros or Snorlax / Jolteon clears pretty easily also. For Golem, use this set:

Golem @ Earthquake / Rock Slide / Substitute / Explode. Only use him to absorb T-Waves from Electrics or defenseless normal types. Set up ur Sub. Attack. Rinse and Repeat til you feel like exploding for another kill.
  23. Vader_the_White

Vader_the_White

I want an actual team with a Mewtwo. I always want a back-up plan.
    I decided to go with Jolteon, since the uber critical hit rate is unholy.
  24. Magic Toaster

Magic Toaster

If you have Mewtwo you're fine.
  25. Robcore™

Robcore™

The main purpose in Gen I is to either use Mewtwo with Amnesia, or spread Thunderwave around like STDs on a Friday night.

From memory, Snorlax isn't all that brilliant in Gen I, unless you run Amnesia, which is utterly broken. For me, it could easily be replaced by Tauros (HyperBeam/Blizzard/BodySlam/Earthquake or Leer) which is godly with Paralysis support.

Well, that can be said for a lot of the Pokémon in Gen I, give them paralysis support and they'll run riot. Which is why Starmie is amazing on it; ThunderWave/Surf/Thunderbolt/Recover. Only Snorlax and Chansey really don't fear it, but Critical Hits are so much fun in this generation they'll still have a hard time. Alakazam, Gengar and the likes fear Thunderwave and the inevitable critical hits afterwards.

As mentioned before though, Subsitute is a huge help in this generation, especially on your fast Pokémon. Starmie can learn Subsitute actually, so you could always aim to get a Subsitute up as they attempt to status you, and then status them as they break your Sub. They'll only hit half the time, and you'll have to be severely unlucky to have 3 Subsitutes broken before they miss a move (to Recover it off). Once you've got to full health and a Subsitute still up, then you're laughing. Especially with Golem to switch to if you fear a faster Thunderwave.

I've never understood the love for Jolteon in this generation, then again, I've never thought about this in so much depth (you're making me want to complete Stadium and Stadium 2 all over again now =[ ) and if you use Thunderwave / Focus Energy / Thunderbolt / Double Kick on Jolteon you may find that pretty hard to take down too.

Alakazam is good, very fast and can hit heavily without the Punches with Psychic / Reflect / Recover / Thunderwave. His Special in this generation is his SAtk in the successive ones, so it can sponge a few hits on that side. Reflect and Recover help, and STAB Psychic in this Gen off 135 Base Attack is heavily hitting.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)