1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Team VCR: Peaked at 1875 W-L:41-11

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Zoap, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Zoap

Zoap

“Wouldn't it be nice if our lives were like VCRS (video recorders), and we could 'fast forward' through the crummy times?"

Charles M. Schulz​

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team at a Glance
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Introduction:

Hello Smogon, here once again with one my best teams of Gen 5 to boot. This team came to being in the period of Kyurem-B dropping into OU as well as new threats like the genie forms/Keldeo running around. This idea was a combo of me wanting to try a Volt-Turn combo, having never used one, and using a bulky F/G/W core to execute it. I began forming the team on paper never expecting the success it would ultimately have.After very little tweaking and fine tuning turned out to be a powerful contender able to hang with the new threats as well as combo old weather contenders.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Forming the Team:

I began thinking of Fire/Water/Grass pokemon that could either U-turn or Volt Switch. I noticed that when it came to Volt turn if I wanted anything other than a Rotom form it would be Lanturn. So I decided that having only a grass weakness via levitate and being an all around decent check to both Sand and Rain that Rotom-W would be my first member.
    [​IMG]

Next I decided to find a defensive grass type who would compliment Rotom-W by taking any grass type thrown its way. This grass type also needed access to U-turn which lead me to the obvious candidate in Celebi.
    [​IMG]

Looking to complete my FWG, as well as keep my Volt-Turn combo going I began looking through the fire types with U-Turn. In the end I narrowed it down to two pokemon, Infernape and Victini. After much debate I decided that with Victini having access to both V-Create and Fusion Bolt was better suited for my team.
    [​IMG]

With the Volt-turn set as well as the FWG core, I began to see that I lacked a few things. First being stealth rock which would help my core wear opponents down with constant switching, but also as I had planned on running a SpD variant of Rotom-W, I currently lacked a physical wall. In come Jirachi.
    [​IMG]

After some thought, I knew that even if everything went well that I could get my rocks up successfully while causing mayhem with my volt-turning that my team still did not have a concrete way of finishing off weakened foes. I began brainstorming on possible closer Pokemon who if need be, could also be used to open holes on the opposing sides defenses. I arrived at one of my favorite upgrades of Gen 5, Dragonite.
    [​IMG]

Looking at my team, I now saw that with Dragonite included that my team would really despise hazards being set on my side. I looked through all the rapid spinners, passing up a few of my favorites in Starmie and Cloyster, and ultimately decided that Jirachi could use a beefy back up who didn't share his weaknesses, Donphan.
    [​IMG]

The Details

[​IMG]
    The Washer

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hydro Pump
    - Rain Dance

To be honest, I never understood the hype around this thing. Yea its got only one weakness, access to Volt-Switch, typing that is perfect for Scizor, and excels in weather as well as out. It never created issues for my previous teams, and was seemingly easy to predict once you knew the set. MAN was I humbled, not only can Rotom-W take hits, but with WoW and Voltswitch, it rarely is in a bad situation. I chose the bulky SpD set for my Rotom, and it did not disappoint at all. I opted for Hydro Pump over Scald/Surf for more oomph when hitting things like Gliscor and Heatran. WoW and Voltswitch are standard and provide momentum for the team. For awhile I had Pain Split in the last slot, but found myself never using it. After having some trouble with Sun I decided that Rotom could be used to cancel out the weather if need be.

[​IMG]
    The Bluffer

Celebi @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 224 Spd / 252 SAtk / 32 Atk
    Hasty Nature
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Leaf Storm
    - Earth Power

Let me just say that I believe Expert Belt to be one of the best items in the current metagame. Most players are looking for Life Orb recoil or a specific Gem to activate and when they don't see it, they immediately think Choice. Celebi with its vast move pool take full on advantage of this fact. Usually I will just U-turn out after switching in to bluff the scarf and set the bait. Often times I'm able to take out multiple threats all at once because the opponent will get frustrated. Celebi also helps check most rain threats like Politoed, Gastrodon and Ferrothorn . Moveset is the most effective combination for removing several threats, HP Fire slaying Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory. Leaf Storm to hit Politoed, Gastrodon, TTar, and Gliscor. And Earth Power for Heatran, Tentacruel and Toxicroak.

[​IMG]
    The Scarfer

Victini @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
    Hasty Nature
    - Fusion Bolt
    - U-turn
    - V-create
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Victini is one of new favorites from Gen 5, right up there with Zebrastrika and Boldore. Victini helps control the pace, giving me an idea of what my opponent is running and when it's the right time to attempt a sweep. In the beginning of matches Victini typically sees very little use out of being switched in on resisted hit and U-turning out to the next counter. Where it shines is if Dragonite fails in the clean up, Victini has the speed and power to mop up the rest. Moveset is to help alleviate problems for Dragonite to clean up. V-Create with STAB is amazing and can damage even not effective foes, Fusion Bolt is mostly for a predicted bulky water switch in or Tornadus-T in Rain, HP Ice helps deal with Scarf Mence, Gliscor and Garchomp.

[​IMG]
    The Steel Wall
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 32 Spd / 224 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Psych Up

Jirachi has worked wonders for the team by providing SR support as well as crippling faster Physical based threats with T-Wave. Jirachi is used to take all the Salamence Outrages, Boosted Dragonite Outrages, Conkeldurr Punches and TTAR Stone Edges. The moveset is fairly straight forward, excluding the last move. SR gives the team hazzards, T-wave for speed control, Iron Head to abuse Jirachi's ability. The last move slot stems from not having an effective way to deal with baton passing teams. Originally I thought that giving Donphan Roar would allieviate the problem but it was to know avail. Psych Up allows me the same boosts only with Jirachi's janky ability helping to turn the tides.

[​IMG]
    The Closer
    Dragonite @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Dance
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Waterfall

So I've never really been into to standard sets, if you hadn't already noticed, and Dragonites is no exception. Most of the time when I build I suffer from trying to cover too many threat all in 4 moves. So this set is the result of that, and really I just think it's a safer set then the standard DD/Outrage/EQ or FP/ES. Waterfall hits Gliscor, TTAR, Heatran w/Balloon, Hippowdon/Landorus/Ninetales w/Balloon/Terrakion and Volcarona for SE damage while also hitting Skarmory/Magnezone/Jirachi/Gengar/Forretress for neutral damage and a boost in the Rain as most of those are seen. Adamant for more power and lum berry cures my confusion or a burn/para. Waterfall is also chosen over Aqua Tail because I'd rather be 100% accurate with a flinch chance then 10 more bp

[​IMG]
    The Spinner
    Donphan @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Rapid Spin
    - Seed Bomb

The final member of my team and often one of the key components to opening the door for a Dnite sweep. Donphan provides me with quite a few tools to help the team, most of all the removal of hazard. Seed Bomb was chosen to compliment Rapid Spin as Jellicent is often the spin blocker I run into. It also allows Donphan to hit incoming Rotom-W who are predicting the EQ for SE damage. Earthquake is a must, and deals big damage to things like Magnezone and TTar. Ice Shard helps patch up my speed issue, by giving my another option to deal with Scarf Mence or opposing DDNite assuming Victini is dead. Overall Donphan gives me a much needed physical attack/defender in the form of a spinner.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Conclusion
    So that's the team that got me to a 78% win margin with just under 55 games. I'm always looking for improvements, suggestions or constructive criticism but as I've actually retired from using this team, I can't guarantee that changes will be implemented. I hope the wall of text doesn't scare you, and my explanations don't bore or offend you. So please rate away and lemme know what you guys think. Also if you guys think it is pertinent, I will reserve the second post in this thread for a threat list, though I have yet to fully complete one <_<;

Laddering was done under the name Hinata<3 on the Pokemon Showdown Smogon Server.​
  2. Zoap

Zoap

*Reserved for threat list
  3. Alexander.

Alexander. Banned deucer.

Hi,

I have no so much to tell because this is a very solid team, anyway let's start with the rate!

First of all, on Jirachi I suggest you to use Wish, replacing Psych Up. Wish allows to recover its HP and that's very important because Jirachi is your main switch into a lots of threats like Tornadus-T, Latios and so on. Psych Up otherwise isn't very useful for Jirachi and I can't replace the other moves because they are more important than Psych Up. Finally, I'd change Waterfall into Fire Punch on Dragonite. Fire Punch allows to kill steel-types like Scizor and Ferrothorn which would create it some problem. Waterfall is useful to hit Heatran but you have already Rotom-W and Celebi's Earth Power to hit it so Fire Punch is fine for your team.

Hope I helped, good luck!
  4. Neliel

Neliel Sacred Sword

Hi there,

i like you offensive fgw core so i dont want to ruin this strategy, but your team needs some improvement. Just saying that you have opted for Hydro pump on rotom because it doesnt learn surf or scald, lol. Firstly, you have 24 evs on attack on celebi, which i think are quite useless, the damage outsput of u-turn doesnt matter at all because the point of that move is to gaining momentum. I dont know if expert is that usefull because special defense celebi is way more usefull in this metagame, but if you find comfortable with it its ok. I also dont know what your speed evs are for, but i think you can change it to outspeed lucario, which is the faster threath you should outspeed and kill i guess. A spread like this EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd with a Modest Nature should work fine, you have some random bulk to take hydro pump and more offensive power thanks to modest.

Now i think you can change a bit the set of victini, why i understand the purpose of hp ice i think a poor option here, for scarfmence you can revenge kill it with donphan and you can paralize it jirachi when locked into outrage. Instead of it you can try everything else, Trick, brick break and zen headbutt are all nice choices. here i think you can benefit more from zen headbutt to hit terrakion and because its a nice stab afterall, but its up to you. I also think (not completely sure) you can now use bolt strike on victini, which is basically the same of fusion bolt with 97% of accutacy but way stronger. If you do this change obviously put Jolly nature instead of hasty.

Now i would change a bit the donphan set, i would put stealth rock instead of seed bomb to have a free slot on Jirachi, so that you can run a more efficent set. Seed bomb doesnt really hit everything important, rotom is stopped by celebi anyway and earthquake is slightly weaker that seed bomb so its a waste of a moveslot, also jellicent can just outspeed you and burn you so seed bomb is not going to help in any way to spin. If you think that jellicent is a problem, you can put some speed evs on donphan to outspeed standard jellicent and 2ko it with earthquake. 176 evs on speed can do the trick, you lose a bit of bulk but thats the only way to spin.

Up next i think you should change your jirachi set. Firstly, thunder wave is outclassed by body slam, which has 60% of paralisis and can also hit Thundurus and ground types, its also good because you dont care about taunt. Psych up is a situational move seriously, it doesnt have anything to offer and its a bad move overall if you consider you are not running wish for this move. Wish lets you have a nice recovery that can also support your whole team, which is somewhat needed i guess since your team doesnt have any form of recovery. Instead of stealth rock you can now put protect, just to make sure you wont die if your opponent sends out something that force you to switch in the turn you did wish. I would also change your spread because, more often than not, you will have to switch into special move rather than phisical one, due to gengar, latios, tornadus-t, thundurus-t and so on, all things you have to counter with jirachi, but it lacks of the bulk to take repeted hits. a spread like this EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd with a careful nature should work.

The last thing i would change is rain dance on rotom-w. I dont know why you didnt like pain split but its actually a better move overall, it lets you recover random damages from hydro pump and its your best bet against keldeo, so try to use it again. Lastly i agree with the change of alexander, fire punch on dragonite is better to hit ferrothorn and skarmory.

Show Hide

[​IMG]--> EVs: 80 HP / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd with a Modest Nature

[​IMG]waterfall --> fire punch

[​IMG]-->Jirachi @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head
    - Wish
    - Protect

[​IMG]Seed bomb--> Stealth rock
    EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd Adamant Nature

[​IMG]hidden power ice --> Zen headbutt
    Hasty --> Jolly

5. Livio

Livio
    is a Tiering Contributor

Hey Dude cool team, but i m looking some Weakness, like Latwins, SheerLando/Thundurus. So let s rate it :3

1. I think that rachi should be SpDef, cause Latwins usages is high, and they can destroy all your team. They have a good switch-in on your Rotom-W, and with appropriate move they can 2HOKO/HOKO all your pokemon. So I suggest you to try this Evs spread for your Jirachi: 252HP/232SDef/24Def with Lefties, Sassy Nature and Wish/Iron Head/Body Slam/ U-Turn-Protect like moveset. Why? You are running Rotom-W without recovery move like Pain-Split, and after some Hurricane, it can be a big trouble for your team, especially if it s Choice Specs. Body Slam>Thunder Wave, cause you can hit and paralyze with 60% canches even Ground Types or Volt Absorber. Wish+ U-Turn is an excellent combo for recover your teammates, Protect if you want to scout some Choicer.

2. I don t agree to use Hidden Power Ice on Victini, the reason is simple: Gliscor is 2HKO with V-Create+SR, Garchomp outspeed with Choice Scarf your Vicinti, Donphan can hit him and Scarfmence with Ice shard, that after Stealth Rock is HOKO. So I suggest You to change Hidden Power into Brick Break, in this way you can hit harder Tyranitar or Heatran, that are possible checker of V-Create, U-Turn can work only if you have to your disposition Rotom-W, if it s fainted Brick Break is much useful from the moment that you have only the washmachine as switch in on it.

3. I also don t like your Dragonite movest, cause Waterfall without rain may not work so well. Without 50% Boost that rain could give you, you can t beat or hit so well Skarmory, Ferrothorn or Forretress, that are the commons switch in on Dragonite. So I think that Fire Punch is Better than Waterfall in this case, now you can hit all Steel Types, except Heatran, but you have already Rotom Wash. Btw, now that your new Jirachi have not Stealth rock in moveset, you can try Stealth Rock instead of Seed Bomb. Now you can set it, and hit anyway Jellicent with Earthquake, that often is 2HOKO against the common spinblocker jellicent.

Hope I helped :)

Tl;dr

Show Hide

[​IMG]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP /24 Def / 232 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Wish
    - Protect / U-Turn
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head

[​IMG]

Victini @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Brick Break
    - Fusion Bolt
    - V-create
    - U-turn

[​IMG]

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Fire Punch
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Dance

[​IMG]

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock

6. Mr. Green

Mr. Green

Hey, nice team!

I would like to change the set of Victini, in my Hidden Power Ice is useless, serve for more Dragon but their Donphan that you can kill with Ice Shard which is priority. So I would opt, for example for choices as Zen Headbutt for example, which is able to hit so super effective Terrakion, which is a big danger or Trick, for compromising the various wall running for example Chansey or Blissey, but also Amoonguss, or still use Brick Break to hit Heatran to predict and Tyranitar for example.
    Now what I would change is the spread of Evs Celebi, but I suggest that Neliel said, also would try to use Giga Drain> Leaf Storm, since that Celebi has no way to recover HP and then, for example, between various damage Sandstorm opponent, all the time, came into camp with Stealth Rock placed, sometimes even in the presence of a Rapid Spinner can happen, then let's maybe a few U-Turn going to hit Ferrothorn with Iron Barbs hurts you, Celebi might go down before they had even done its job, so I would try to use Giga Drain> Leaf Storm, so that when it hits you back super effective part of HP from the damage, and Celebi would last you more in the field.
    What I would suggest now is to change some moves between Jirachi and Donphan, that Jirachi is as he is destined to KO to go so I propose Wish> Psych Up, Body Slam> Thunder Wave and Protect> Stealth Rock and this Evs spread: 252 HP / 252 Sdef / 4 Def with Sassy nature. This is because it is essential to Jirachi Wish to fight the best Latios and Tornadus-T, all accompanied by Protect + Wish and this Evs spread + Sassy Nature it works fine, as using the turn protect you recover energy, for himself and wanting can do for the other changing Pokemon. Body Slam that still has a good chance of paralysis due to Seren Grace would consider higher in Thunder Wave for the possibility to paralyze Ground types in general, for example Landorus and Landorus-T, or Thundurus-T that has Volt Absorb, with their Thunder Wave would not be able to paralyze them. Stealth Rock Donphan I'd give it to the place of Seed Bomb, this is because with the Seed Bomb Okho of Jellicent not get in return Jellicent being faster than it can kill you or use you use you Scald Will-o-Wisp falling the attack and burns down the Rapid Spinner team.
    Another tip is to change Pain Split> Rain Dance on Rotom-W, primarily because of the rain against a move team is useless for Rotom-W since Politoed will place the perennial Rain and then because Rotom-W Sdefer to stay healthy still needs Pain Split, otherwise it goes down too quickly, and HP has no way to recover energy.
    Last thing I would recommend is to change Fire Punch> Waterfall of Dragonite, since you hit us with Waterfall Heatran for example, which you can already damage with Hydro Pump Rotom-W and kill it with Earth Power of Celebi, the rest hitting Waterfall strikes Outrage equally well, and the steel as Skamory, Ferrothorn and Forretress are much affected by Fire Punch. That is all.
    Good Luck, with your team!

tl;dr

Show Hide

Zen Headbutt / Trick / Brick Break > Hidden Power Ice (for Victini)
    Giga Drain > Leaf Storm (for Celebi)
    Wish > Psych Up (for Jirachi)
    Body Slam > Thunder Wave (for Jirachi)
    Protect > Stealth Rock (for Jirachi)
    252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def with Sassy nature (for Jirachi)
    Stealth Rock > Seed Bomb (for Donphan)
    Pain Split > Rain Dance (for Rotom-W)
    Fire Punch > Waterfall ( for Dragonite)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)