1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Team VGC 2014 "Malamarill"

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Andreatorinista, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Andreatorinista

Andreatorinista

Hi everybody =D I'm new here.
    I'm Italian, so excuse me if my english isn't perfectly.
    Under this descryption, I wrote my team for Italian VGC 2014 at Milan.
    The Pike of my team are:

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Level: 50
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Dark Pulse
    - Rock Slide
    - Protect

SpecialTTar is the best, Ice beam kill Chomp and Mence, Dark Pulse STAB, Rock Slide for flinch and kill Talonflame and ZardY

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 Def
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball

Ray Rizzo's Ferrothorn, Awesome. Leech Seed for recover, Power Whip+204Atk=OHKO Rotom W, Gyro Ball for Fairies and speed sweeper. Second rules: entry hazard for enemy Fake outer.

Malamar @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Contrary
    EVs: 4 HP / 236 Atk / 132 Def / 4 SDef / 132 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Superpower
    - Psycho Cut
    - Night Slash
    - Rock Slide

Anti intimidate, easy boost with Superpower. Psycho Cut and Night Slash STAB. Rock Slide the fourth slot for flinch.

Manectric @ Manectite
    Ability: Lightningrod
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flamethrower
    - Protect

Only Mega in my team. Thunderbolt the STAB, Flamethrover for 2HKO Mega Mawile, volt Switch to swtch easy in front of a ShadowTag Mega Gengar, Wobbuffet or Gothitelle.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Quick Guard

Classic, but with Quick Guard>Protect, because is very easly to kill him. Brave Bird and Flare Blitz STAB, Will-O-Wisp for the enemy sweeper. Quick Guard for enemy prankster or priority Aqua Jet Azumarill and Fake outer.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Huge Power
    EVs: 246 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Aqua Jet
    - Waterfall
    - Protect

Another Classic, but with Waterfall>Belly Drum. Aqua Jet and Play Rough STAB.

what do you think? There are things I need to change?

Thank you very much =)
  2. shunterthegreat

shunterthegreat

Personally, I don't think Malamar is very viable in VGC 2014. If you want an anti-intimidate Pokemon, I'd go with Bisharp. It hits harder than Malamar and has the priority Sucker Punch to take out faster threats.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Defiant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Adamant/Jolly Nature
    - Sucker Punch
    - Night Slash
    - Iron Head
    - Protect

The nature depends if you want to hit harder or outspeed and hit Timid T-tar with an Iron Head. The sash allows you to get off one more Sucker Punch before fainting.

One of the best parts about Manectric is its ability to OHKO 4x weak Dragons with HP Ice. I'd replace Thunderbolt or Volt Switch, depending if you want a harder hitting move or to be able to save Intimidate for later.

Special TTar needs all the power it can get immediately, so I prefer a Life Orb on mine. WP is a fine choice, however. (If you do switch to LO TTar, then Sharp Beak on Talonflame would allow you to bluff the Choice Band and it would save you some recoil) Also, Ray used a Lum Berry on his Ferrothorn to not get blocked by a Will-O-Wisp, as getting burned prevents you from OHKOing Rotom-Wash. I'd switch your item to that.

Hope that helps!
  3. Andreatorinista

Andreatorinista

Thank You Very much, but...with Bisharp, Ferrothorn and Tyranitar, My Team is Very Weakness at the Fighting Type Move, and Only Talonflame and Azumarill Don't Cover him.
    Three pokèmon of Six are Easly KOing by a Power-Up Punch Kangaskhan, another switch to cover this weakness or some advice to cover him with this pike?
  4. shunterthegreat

shunterthegreat

Covering Kangaskhan with Intimidate and damaging it should be fine. Ferrothorn still beats Kangaskhan because of residual Iron Barbs damage, and Azumarill should easily be able to handle any fighting types on the opponent's team.
  5. Andreatorinista

Andreatorinista

Ok =) thank you.

Mega Manectric OHKOing Mence with Hidden Power Ice, but for OHKOing Chomp the better nature is Timid (252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 164-196 (89.1 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO) or Modest (252+ SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 180-212 (97.8 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO)?

For Talonflame: with a Charti Berry resist a one Rock Slide or not?

For Tyranitar: With Mega Manectric who have a HP Ice, is better Fire Blast>Ice Beam at Tyranitar for have a better Fire Move?
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  6. Andreatorinista

Andreatorinista

7. klvkboom

klvkboom

Just some general things I found.

Ferro should be Brave nature to secure the kill on Rotom-W. Manectric needs HP ice. For TTar, while Timid is a decent nature, it gives up some important KOs such as Mawile. I would say to use Modest but it's up to opinion.
  8. Andreatorinista

Andreatorinista

Ok thank you, for Manectric the better nature for kill Garchomp is Timid Or Modest?

And For Talonflame: with a Charti Berry resist a one Rock Slide or not?
  9. klvkboom

klvkboom

Modest v. Timid for Manectric is completely up to preference as there are some advantages of both. Modest secures the OHKO on Garchomp whereas Timid allows to you outspeed Garchomp on the same turn that you Mega Evolve. Most people use Timid, so I'd stick with that. But if you think you need the power that Modest gives you then it's not much of a difference.

Charti Berry does allow Talonflame to survive a Rock Slide from most Pokemon. Just note that there are still some Pokes that can hit hard through the berry.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)