1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Team VoltTurn

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Bulletpuncher, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Bulletpuncher

Bulletpuncher

Hello Smogon. I'm BulletPuncher and this is my first BW team and RMT. I'm sorry Gyarados's animated sprites weren't working. Anyways, here's the team:

Team Building Process:

[​IMG][​IMG]

When I saw that 5th gen came out with another version of U-turn, Volt Switch, I decided to start the team building of my first BW team with users of these moves. CB Scizor and Scarf Rotom-W are awesome partners. To start with, they resist the other's sole weakness. Volt Switch and U-turn complement each other well because they get great type coverage and they attack on different spectrums. Many battles consist of me simply alternating between Volt Switch and U-turn, meanwhile racking up SR damage.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

While I was testing the Scizor and Rotom-W combo, one poke in particular would stop my happy spamming: Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn makes Scizor take damage with Steel Thorns, and walls Rotom-W. HP Fire from Rotom-W was a 3HKO on specially defensive versions. I could also Superpower with Scizor, but that kills my momentum and leaves Scizor vulnerable even if he does get the kill. Also, the entry hazards that Ferrothorn sets up are annoying when I am spamming VoltTurn.

Obviously, I added Breloom to the team primarily because of Ferrothorn, who is set up fodder for Breloom.

At this point, I changed

CB Scizor -> Scarf Scizor

and

Scarf Rotom > Bulky Rotom.

Imo, these sets take out Brelooms counters better and bulky Rotom doesn't have the problem of being locked into Volt Switch against ground types.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I added Bronzong because I had a blatant weakness to Excadrill, Garchomp and Landorus. Bronzong also makes a nice lead and usually gets the chance to set up Stealth Rocks.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm going to say I added Gyarados and Latias at the same time because I don't remember which came first. These two add some extra resistances while being potent sweepers. They also check a few things my team was having trouble with. I am still testing other options instead of Latias and Gyarados, but they work pretty well.

The Team:

[​IMG]

Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Hp / 84 Atk / 172 Def
    Nature: Relaxed
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power (Ice)
    - Light Screen

Bronzong's job is to check Garchomp, Excadrill and Landorus. Earthquake is for Excadrill and Hidden Power Ice is for Garchomp and Landorus. The EVs are the standard except I took the Sp Def EVs and put them into Def.

[​IMG]

Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    - Dragon Dance
    - Taunt
    - Waterfall
    - Bounce

I use Gyarados as a defensive pivot more than I use him as a sweeper. I'm considering chaning him to the Dragon Tail Restalk set. Anyways, the EV's are the 4th standard for bulky Gyarados. I went for Bounce over Stone Edge for better type coverage. The Intimidate is nice when dealing with physical threats.

[​IMG]

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    - U-turn
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - Bullet Punch

I've always wanted to try out Choice Scarf Scizor. Celebi is Breloom's #1 counter and they often carry HP Fire. With a scarf, I can "safely" switch into Celebi and avoid the HP Fire with a fast U-turn. This works on many other pokes that expect to outspeed: Heatran, Lucario and Tyranitar will eat a Superpower and Starmie, Gengar and Latias/Latios won't enjoy a U-turn or Pursuit. Because of this, Scizor is a good choice to send out in the event of a double KO due to the surprise factor.

[​IMG]

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    - Spore
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Stone Edge

Imo, Breloom has improved with 5th gen. Spore is practically broken now with the new sleep mechanics. Ferrothorn and Jellicent are ridiculously common and easy set-up fodder for Breloom. Breloom usually gets me at least one kill per battle plus the pokemon it puts to sleep.

[​IMG]

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    EVs: 128 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 128 Spe
    Nature: Modest
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hydro Pump
    - Signal Beam

I didn't want to use Smogon's EVs at first because it looked like they just threw 252 into Sp Atk and arbitrarily split the rest into HP and Spe. However, I ended up using the spread. 252 Sp Atk gives me the most power without using LO or Specs so I can use Leftovers to stay around longer. 128 Spe lets me just outspeed defensive Celebi and smack it with a Signal Beam. (So in case you were wondering, Signal Beam is primarily for Celebi and other Grass types) 128 HP improves Rotom-W's natural bulk. I didn't want to use WoW because it could possible conflict with Spore.

[​IMG]

Latias @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Sp Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    - Substitute
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Dragon Pulse

Latias was my favorite poke in 4th gen. Obviously, it made me a little sad when she got banned. No worries though, Latias is back to kick some butt. Substitute prevents Latias from getting revenge killed by the fast 5th gen metagame. Substitute also blocks status, crits and Pursuit. Latias' special bulk is incredible. This makes setting up unbreakable subs against special attackers a breeze. I use to set up on Rotom's Shadow Ball back in 4th gen, lol.

There's the team. I hope you enjoyed reading this RMT. I would like to keep Breloom, Scizor and Rotom-W, but I am willing to change anything on my team if it makes it better. I will appreciate any feedback I get. Thanks.
  2. Bulletpuncher

Bulletpuncher

I've fixed my picture issues.
  3. Zebstrika

Zebstrika

Bronzong: Pretty good here, not much I'll say. Just I'm not sure it can deal good damage to Garchomp/Landorus with its low special attack stat, even with an Ice move.

Gyarados: If you're changing to RestTalk, Milotic is better, especially when it sleeps due to better special defense and Marvel Scale. Also, due to the difference in base power, Milotic's Surf is close to the strength of Gyarados' Waterfall.

Scizor: Not much to say here. Only thing is that if you don't want Superpower, you could try Bug Bite, but I would still recommend Superpower.

Rotom: Drop Thunderbolt. With maximized special attack, Volt Switch is powerful enough to scare things off, but Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp works very well there.

Latias: Looks good, as Breloom can remove steels and most special walls.

Overall: If your main strategy is to switch back and forth, I'm surprised you don't have a spinner. Spikes would also be nice, if you force switches a lot. These types of teams are fun to use, especially with 4 or 5 switchers.
  4. Mr_br_kill

Mr_br_kill

Cool interesting team. I'll surprised u not using more u-turn/volt changers. Flygoon, Jolteon come to mind. But anyway onto the review. You should definitely add a spinner, for rock and spick damage will rack up fast. I guess u could use bulky starmie instead of dos. Or u could use Excadrill. I also don't see how bronzing check chomp and landerous. Hidden power ice from a Bronzing is going to do diditly squat to them with at least mor sp atk evs.

Hope I helped

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)