Teambuilding 101 (Round 1: MMF, FLCL, Zebraiken)

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea

Thanks to Keiran for the great banner....yet again

Hello! Are you new to the tier and not quite sure how to build effective teams? Have no fear, we are here to help you! Welcome to Teambuilding 101. Teambuilding 101 is a project designed to help you with teambuilding strategies by showing you how the top team builders of the tier make their teams. This will be a bi-weekly project; which means that every other week we will be switching out team builders to keep it fresh and give you guys multiple perspectives on the different ways of teambuilding.

So how will this work? Well, we’ll start out with a voting period. In these two days we will be voting on what playstyle/Pokemon the team builders will be building around. After a playstyle has been used, I will scratch it off so we always have a new playstyle each time. I’ll be putting up options every other week and then two days later...the team builders begin their task of crafting a team! These players will be making posts to keep us updated on how everything is going so far and walk us through why they have made the choices that they’ve made. If you have any questions, thoughts, ideas, or suggestions for the builder leave a post for them to respond to.

After these 3 days of straight teambuilding (LO!L) our team builders will come back with their team and give us in-depth detail about their team and the teambuilding process. I will post them in the OP of the thread and stockpile them so don’t worry if you miss it! I will get it up as soon as possible. This will also go on the NU Hub at some point so be sure to check that out as well!

Once we’ve done a few of these I may have a special surprise for all of you who have been watching on the sidelines and want to have some fun with these teams ;)

Our team builders for this week will be MMF, Zebraiken, and FLCL! (If you’d like to be one of our team builders for another week, PM me on the forums. Let me know and I’ll see what I can do.)

We encourage you to use these teams on the ladder to get used to the metagame but know that this is meant to help you better your team building skills so that you can start doing it yourself.

STAGE 1: Playstyle Voting
  • Balance
  • Offense
  • Stall
  • Hyper Offense
  • Weather
  • All Choice

Let the fun begin!

results of round one~

the first type of team selected was offense!

significant posts and imports of the teams built by each player:

FLCL - team in RMT format; questions answered; offensive checklist; questions answered 2
Piloswine @ Eviolite
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Skuntank @ Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Heal Bell
- Psychic
- Moonlight

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
MMF - the difference between offense and hyper offense; team; questions answered
Golem (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Reversal

Gardevoir (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Destiny Bond

Haunter (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Samurott (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn

Ludicolo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
Zebraiken - teambuilding process + first half of team; second half of team; questions answered; questions answered 2
Charizard @ Choice Specs
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Wartortle @ Eviolite
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SAtk / 60 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Stun Spore / Synthesis

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave / Ice Punch (for golurk)

Skuntank @ Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Weather. It is very potent in this metagame and there are a lot of underutilized & interesting Pokemon that can be used to take advantage of it.

Weather
Because its the most underrated IMO, and one of the most fun! We have all these threats like Sawsbuck, Charizard, Ludicolo (though he works great independently), Seismitoad, etc.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I agree with furi, if this is to be a learning experience to newer players then we should start off with Balance since its easier to play and build. It would make sense to start of easy and work our way up. Starting out by making a Stall or Weather that works and does well in the metagame might be too much of a daunting task for those starting out, who are the target audience of this. After that we can start teambuilding some more harder teams to make such as Stall or Choice.

As for <&DTC> dtc / dingle / ebeast/raseri 2 weeks from now y/n

I'm definitely up for it, so if you need me in 2 weeks I'm fine with it :)

Cool thread. I vote Hyper Offense because its rather unexplored in this meta and i think it could be a potent strategy.

19:27 FLCL weather is gay dont vote for weather

I vote weather. It's actually very good in this metagame and I want to see some good teams using weather.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Stall
Weather and the other options are boring as barnacles for this.

MMF

Let me make this clear for everyone incase they don't understand. This isn't a CCAT. This is meant to help new users and newcomers to NU understand each playstyle by having the best teambuilders of the tier explain why they pick what they pick. So saying "the other options are boring as barnacles" is an ignorant comment because obviously you did not understand the reasons behind this project.

That is all :)

Raseri edit: watch your language mmf

MMF edit: Love you too <3

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Would it be better if we each built a different style of team? Options, options.

Offense

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Offense!

I like offense lo!L

and a serious question: how do you /define/ hyper offense do you mean dual screening variants.

edit: seconding zeb

MMF

I think the builder should define Hyper Offense whether it be screens or 6 sweepers or any combination of that. Offense and Hyper Offense are distinguishable enough to be different styles. Basically its up to the builder for what kind of HO they want to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)