Teambuilding: Cores in XY Little Cup

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
It is certainly fine without healing, since these are primarily offensive Pokemon. The core would work on Offense or Balance, depending on the 3 other Pokemon. A balanced team might use a defensive core to patch up some holes, or you could add 3 more offensive Pokemon to put more pressure on the opposing team, especially with Hazards. I use it on a Balanced team with Ponyta+Chinchou+Mienfoo to patch up weaknesses to Mixed Murkrow, fighting types, and shell smashers, but i've seen the core used with Murkrow, Fletchling and Meditite which is a much more offensive team.
It's meant for HO teams, which are fast enough that should not need to heal (doing so kills your momentum anyways).
Ah. Thank you very much for answering me. I was thinking of trying this core out on a more balanced team, since hyper offense has never really been my thing. I understand what you mean by using a different set of three pokemon for the rest of the team depending on the play style I want. I also get what you mean, Kavatika, about not losing momentum. I will keep that in mind! Thank you both again!

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
Lol I've been spamming this core on 80% of my teams that I test with you. Just figured I would add the sets I find to be most effective.

Dwebble @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Def / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Counter
- Knock Off

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break
- Iron Head

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 36 HP / 236 SpAtk / 236 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Will-O-Wisp
I'm not saying I'm copying these sets, but I'm just trying to get some ideas for sets. These are for hyper offense like you said correct?

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
I'm not saying I'm copying these sets, but I'm just trying to get some ideas for sets. These are for hyper offense like you said correct?
lol copy these sets if you want. I posted them to be used. They are for HO or balance depending on the teammates.

This core (or some variation of it) is frickkin' everywhere right now-

Fletchling@no item/Berry juice
Ability: Gale wings
76 HP / 196 Atk / 92 Def / 36 SAtk / 100 Spd
Adamant nature
-Swords dance
-Acrobatics
-U-Turn
-Filler

Diglett@Focus sash/Life orb
Ability: Arena trap
36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant/Jolly nature
-Earthquake
-Sucker punch
-Rock slide
-Memento/Stealth rock

So here's how it works for people who haven't seen it yet. You send out Fletchling against something it threatens, U-Turn as they switch out to ground/electric/steel type fletchling counter and send in Diglett,which proceeds to trap and kill said switch-in. Since most people only carry one fletchling counter, if Fletchling manages to set up an SD later in the game there's a pretty big chance that it's gonna rip through your team. A pokemon that can set up hazards really helps this core. This sort of looks like something that would only work in theory, but believe me, this core is dangerous af. you have been warned.

With the above, you don't really need Sucker Punch in my experience, so I have been using SR over it lol. Also, Roost is absolutely mandatory on the Fletch. So, remove "Filler" for it. For EVs, you probably want to hit 15 Spe instead of having the HP EVs, imo at least. Though, it's probably just one of those cases of preferences here....T-Bolt

Last edited:
Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 212 Def / 228 SDef / 68 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Soak

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 SAtk / 156 SDef / 156 Def / 44 HP / 76 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore

Chinchou resists Fire, Ice, and Flying while Foongus resists Grass. More importantly, Soak is fantastic for this core's synergy. It eases Chinchou's prediction greatly, as it can then just Volt Switch even on a Ground type. More importantly, it turns Grass types (common Chinchou switch ins) into Water types. Foongus then can come in. It then can use Spore freely as the opponent's Grass type is now Water, so it loses it's immunity. If it stays in, Foongus has SE Giga Drain to use, also.

I got bored so time to just post my future rmts 50 something cores
pretty much its
Pawniard/frillish/snubbull
Frillish/ferroseed/snubbull (similar yes I know but still valid)
Trubbish/ferroseed/hippo (probably one of the best stall cores atm)
Snubbull/hippo
Snubbull/pawniard
and a lot more too bad/still trying to fix into the new meta (built during krow era)

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One of the coolest and pretty creative cores I made involved a trapping core, and was specifically built to beat Pawniard, as well as have an extra option for other pokemon such as Scraggy, Fletchling, Mienfoo, Trubbish, and Chinchou.

Magnemite @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 240 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 132 HP / 36 Def / 116 SDef / 36 Spd / 188 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off

Diglett @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 236 Spd / 236 Atk / 36 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

This core relies on mostly outplaying the opponent, but it has an option for most of the top threats. Chinchou is checked with the mix of Croagunk+Ground type, as with the right prediction (i.e. mostly a switch to Croagunk then a double to Diglett) you can easily trap and KO Chinchou. All three beat Pawniard easily. Croagunk is usually the blanket check, often forcing it out and switching in on Knock Offs. Often, Pawniard will get a kill, and I can trap it with Diglett. Usually I'll Protect to scout what move it will use (mos tof the time they are scarved) and ill switch to the appropriate pokemon. Croagunk can check it and force it out, whereas Magnemite also traps it and beats it with HP Fire. Mag also happens to beat Ferroseed which is nice. This core has problems with Misdrevaus, making pokemon such as Munchlax, or Porygon, or Lickitung good partners (all can paralyze, helping with Croagunk to sweep!). This also has problems with Drilbur.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Protect

Magnemite @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Recycle
- Hidden Power Ice

Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 156 Def / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

This core utilizes the Volt-Turn combo of Larvesta and Magnemite to gain momentum, while Spritzee rounds out the core very well. Each member of the team has their own method of reovery, and Spritzee's Wish can heal the other two. Defog/Rapid Spin support is appreciated, however, as Larvesta is 4x weak to Stealth Rock.Although Magnemite fears Knock Off, the other two don't; Larvesta can even burn those using it on him!

Spritzee's Steel weakness is resisted by the other 2, Magnemite is immune to poison. Ground and fire are neutral on other two, who both resist fighting. Flying is resisted by Magnemite, as is Rock; however, Water is neutral.

NON-RESISTS:
- Water
- Ground
- Fire

This core combats Water-types with Magnemite's Volt Switch, while the above types are all whittled down by VoltTurn; Ground-types, like Gligar, fear HP Ice.

Overall, this is a very solid core that I hope to see more often :)
Is this core still viable?

ChouPawnChen seems to be popping up as a result of the rise of Fletchling, and it's something I have been running on my own team. I'm not going to bother listing sets as it seems everyone has different sets (a lot of set combinations have good synergy together). For the most part, this is because of birdspam, though the core does check a wide range of threats.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 Spd / 196 Atk / 76 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 68 Def / 36 SDef / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt

I use these two as a double dark core, and they work wonders. Hydro Pump Carvanha helps to lure in Mienfoo, as Waterfall + Hydro Pump koes Mienfoo (normally Mienfoo is an excellent answer). Carvanha can get off a fast Destiny Bond on things like Spritzee, allowing Scraggy to get past some of its checks and counters.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
+

Amaura @ Berry Juice
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 224 SAtk / 60 HP / 200 Def / 16 SDef
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunder Wave

Fletchling @ Apicot Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 196 Atk / 180 Spd / 92 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Natural Gift
- Roost / U-turn

What normally beats Amaura and Fletchling? Chinchou, Magnemite and Pawniard right? This is a double-lure core designed to beat those threats. Amaura wrecks Pawniard switch-ins with TWave + Hidden Power Fighting, allowing Fletch to sweep. Fletchling wrecks Chinchou and Magnemite with a 100 BP Ground-type Natural Gift, allowing Amaura to spam Nature Power all game. Fletchling has 15 speed to outspeed restalk chou and Modest Magnemite.

Alongside this core, hazard support is nice. Rocks allow Fletchling to beat Magnemite and both need Rapid Spin due to their SR weakness.
I guess something to beat Archen with is nice too

note: this is slightly gimmicky but w/e it's fun

Last edited:

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 108 SAtk / 116 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Drain Punch
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Knock Off

Cottonee @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Def / 196 SDef
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Substitute
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stun Spore

Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 84 HP / 228 Atk / 96 Def / 80 SDef / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

This is a great core, both defensively and offensively. Cottonee is threatened by Poison, Fire and Flying, all of which Tirtouga can handle with ease. Tirtouga is mainly hit hard by Fighting, Grass, Electric and Ground, all of which can be handled by Cottonee. That by itself is a solid core, but Croagunk glues it together, providing a great switch into something that has the potential to threaten either of them, like Pawniard, and either force it out, or threaten it with priority (VWave), strong STAB (DPunch and SludgeBomb) or Knock Off. The given sets let all 3 Pokemon take a variety of hits, especially Tirtouga, who can live anything physical with Solid Rock + Eviolite.

Last edited:
Foongus @ Eviolite
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 76 SAtk / 76 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Stun Spore / Toxic /Hp Fire/hp fight
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Bold / Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Spritzee @ Eviolite
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SAtk / 76 SDef / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Wish
- Moonblast

This is a defensive core that I have found to be pretty solid. I used a very similar one in B/w with Mienfoo> Spritzee. This core is very resilient, with recovery on every pokemon (wish, regen, recover) Which makes these pokemon often stay around for a lot of the game. They also handle quite a few common threats in the tier. Porygon does decently well checking lots of special attackers in the tier things like Misdreavus and Abra it can take a hit and either weaken them / finish them with shadow ball or cripple non Substitute Missy with Thunderwave. It also has some good physical bulk too which is useful. Its problem is fighting types but between Foongus and Spritzee they are covered pretty well. Along with helping the core against fighting types, Foongus also walls the fairy types now roaming around LC like spritzee and has Sludge Bomb to deal with them. Spritzee is a back up check to fighting types with Foongus and is a good late game sweeper once everything is weakened. The Support that they provide to other team mates is also great, with Foongus and Porygon spreading around status conditions and Spritzee providing Wish support. This core does struggle with things like Fletchling so something like Tirtouga, Chinchou and Archen complement this team nicely.

On the topic of defensive cores there is a little checklist I like to make sure that my defensive cores tick off and that is that:
1) They get around some of the tiers top offensive threats (missy, fighting types in this case)
2) They support my team members (status support and Wish support in this case)
3) Having recovery to last a long time (wish, recover, regenerator)

Love the thread Goddess Briyella :)

Last edited:
Foongus @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Stun Spore / Toxic /Hp Fire
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Porygon @ Eviolite
Bold / Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Wish
- Moonblast

This is a defensive core that I have found to be pretty solid. I used a very similar one in B/w with Mienfoo> Spritzee. This core is very resilient, with recovery on every pokemon (wish, regen, recover) Which makes these pokemon often stay around for a lot of the game. They also handle quite a few common threats in the tier. Porygon does decently well checking lots of special attackers in the tier things like Misdreavus and Abra it can take a hit and either weaken them / finish them with shadow ball or cripple non Substitute Missy with Thunderwave. It also has some good physical bulk too which is useful. Its problem is fighting types but between Foongus and Spritzee they are covered pretty well. Along with helping the core against fighting types, Foongus also walls the fairy types now roaming around LC like spritzee and has Sludge Bomb to deal with them. Spritzee is a back up check to fighting types with Foongus and is a good late game sweeper once everything is weakened. The Support that they provide to other team mates is also great, with Foongus and Porygon spreading around status conditions and Spritzee providing Wish support. This core does struggle with things like Fletchling so something like Tirtouga, Chinchou and Archen complement this team nicely.

On the topic of defensive cores there is a little checklist I like to make sure that my defensive cores tick off and that is that:
1) They get around some of the tiers top offensive threats (missy, fighting types in this case)

Levi's used this core against me and I can verify its annoyingness. >:[

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Foongus @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Stun Spore / Toxic /Hp Fire
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Porygon @ Eviolite
Bold / Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Wish
- Moonblast

Sub Pawn really gives this core troubles, setting up on Foongus or Pawniard uhh Porygon lol and wrecking your core; maybe HP Fight > Stun Spore on Foongus?

Last edited:
Superpowerdude the addition of a Sticky Hold mon like Shellos may strengthen this core.
Yes your correct it really depends on your team. Sticky hold mon like Berry Juice + Recycle Trubbish works whilst providing hazard support because of its ability to fend off knock off users easier and funnily enough I was using a team with this core but lastnight thought about making some changes and one of them using Stickyhold trubbish

Trubbish @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 196 HP / 180 Def / 100 SDef
Impish Nature
- Recycle
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Drain Punch

Dpunch also wrecks pawnaird which helps answering the next question too

Sub Pawn really gives this core troubles, setting up on Foongus or Pawniard and wrecking your core; maybe HP Fight > Stun Spore on Foongus?
This is true, you said setting up on foongus or pawnaird but I assume you meant pory and foongus haha. Things like this really depend on your team, if your other members can't handle it then Hp Fighting is a viable move choice I slashed it in my above post

edit: Another interesting thing could be Larvesta>Foongus need defog / rs support but it does help with Pawnaird and still keeps its fairy and fighting resistances. You can play around with Foongus's spot but I suggest keeping a mon that resists fairy and fighting (trubbish, larvesta, etc)

Last edited:

absdaddy

Banned deucer.
well known, i think we can call it a core

@ Berry Juice
Ability: Pickup
EVs: use HP / ur Atk / own Def / spread SDef / nigga Spd
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Thief
- Protect

@ Life Orb/sash
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SDef / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock/sub
- Memento
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

@ Choice Scarf/spooky plate (might as well use cottonee here)
EVs: 240 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Nasty Plot/trick if scarf
- Shadow Ball

the most broken "core" in the current metagame. switchins to common threats? defensive synergy? not here buddy!
Order of things going out :
Misdreavus tricks and cripples shit that's useless without eviolite and often comes on it(lol @ spritzee/porygon)
DIG sets up rocks and weakens shit that can tank your espeeds(lol @steels/archen)
using this "core" is simple - setup rocks, remove pawniard/sprit, memento something, done. Pair it with something like scarf pawn as emergency vs some threats and knockoff support for the best results. It also likes spikes/rocks.
imo 2 memento users are VITAL to zig's success, because mis/cotton alone will be in trouble when something like pawn comes into their memento while said pawniard won't ever switch into dig resulting in much more safety with memento'ing(is that even a word)

tl;dr, this is THE CORE for these hardcore offensive teams(stall is for pussies), just build around it to support zig even more
+picked these three mons because they are somewhat the most necessary/best zig supporters.
it may take some time to get used to proper memento timing and all this offensive stuff, but i really encourage people to try it. Its simply amazing now. This "core" literally bodybags the metagame. Corporal Levi , pls come here and confirm how amazing this is

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
Diglett @ Life Orb
EVs: 236 Spd / 236 Atk / 36 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Cottonee @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 196 SDef / 196 Def / 116 HP
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Memento
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam

This core is a double memento core, designed for pure support. Fletchling is usually desired as a partner, for diglett's ability to beat amaura, chinchou, tirtouga, etc that can wall it, however I often use other set up Pokemon, such as Scraggy. Cottonee helps to stop things like Tirtouga, and its priority encore can really help with setting up when memento isnt an option. This core doesnt do so well in allowing Pokemon to set up on things like Foongus, so having Pokemon that can force those out and hard wall them is excellent! Archen is a great wallbreaker while maintaining enough bulk to beat common threats. Fletchling is another that can come in and beat Fighting-types.

PANTSMAN (Scraggy) @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 68 SDef / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

>FIGHT COUNTER (Misdreavus) @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam

This core attempts mid-early game sweeping by being able to switch into each others checks and counters and keep momentum by forcing switches with +1/+2 boosts. For example, Misdreavus sets up on things like Spritzee and can set up on mons like mienfoo and Timburr in a pinch, while Scraggy can set up on things like Porygon and Munchlax, as well as switch into Pawniard. It is best to play this core conservatively unless you absolutely need to take that Knock Off. This core has trouble with Pokemon like Timburr and sometimes Fletchling if played right, so pairing it with Pokemon that can beat them is nice, such as Archen.

FREEEEEENNNN (Amaura) (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Refrigerate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 SDef / 200 Def / 224 SAtk / 68 HP
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Thunder Wave
- Ancient Power

LOLfuckMienfoo (Larvesta) @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 156 Def / 40 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

NOSEDICK (Drilbur) @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 104 SDef / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab / Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

This is probably my favorite core of them all. Because it has my main fren Amaura. Basically, I use Amaura as a lure / Fletchling counter, while also helping to Para Pokmeon allowing Larvesta to outspeed and possible OHKO them. Larvesta can switch into many Steel-type moves as well as Fighting-type moves, often burning them. Drilbur is hazard control, while also hitting everything notable hard with its Earthquake. It beats Archen as well with Stealth Rocks up. Archen and Timburr can be a problem, as well as Drilbur itself. This makes things like Foongus notable as a partner.

OK so in order to create a sense of order in these posts, when posting your description, be sure to answer some key questions to allow readers to know just exactly how the core works.
  • Why is it good?
  • What does it hope to accomplish?
  • Is it a defensive / offensive / support core?
  • Notable teammates?
  • Notable threats?
If you guys could answer these questions at the minimum, that would be great! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)