Gen 4 Technical Machine with its worst team: BP

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Replay of this battle

Battle between david stone and Technical Machine started!

Tier: All
Mode: Singles
Rule: Unrated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: No Timeout
Rule: Species Clause

david stone sent out Hippowdon!
Technical Machine sent out Gliscor!
Hippowdon's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Hippowdon can't do anything against Gliscor since it has Taunt, so I go to Rotom-W. It can threaten Gliscor with Hydro Pump or Shadow Ball, and use Thunderbolt for other Pokemon. Gliscor Taunts.

I decide to use Shadow Ball instead of Hydro Pump. 100% accuracy + the chance for a Special Defense drop is pretty nice. Gliscor uses Rock Polish. I stick with the strategy, but Technical Machine decides to go straight for the most important advantage:

Start of turn 3
Technical Machine's Gliscor used Baton Pass!
Technical Machine called Gliscor back!
Technical Machine sent out Smeargle!

Rotom-W used Shadow Ball!
It had no effect!

Start of turn 4
Technical Machine's Smeargle used Spore!
Rotom-W fell asleep!

Rotom-W is fast asleep!

Start of turn 5
david stone called Rotom-W back!
david stone sent out Tentacruel!

Technical Machine's Smeargle used Ingrain!
Technical Machine's Smeargle planted its roots!
I went to Tentacruel because it was the only remaining Pokemon on my team with any real offense. I could go to Hippowdon, but with only Earthquake, it wouldn't do much to the likes of Scizor, Celebi, Gliscor, and Vaporeon, all common on BP teams.

Technical Machine goes to the best Pokemon to set up on special attackers: Mr. Mime. I use Surf for 23%.

I know that Mr. Mime is going to set up a Calm Mind, so my Surf will quickly do nothing. I decide to use Sludge Bomb instead. It's slightly weaker, but it has a chance to Poison, which is better than anything else I can do.

Start of turn 7
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime used Calm Mind!
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime's Sp. Att. rose!
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime's Sp. Def. rose!

Tentacruel used Sludge Bomb!
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime lost 15% of its health!

Start of turn 8

Technical Machine's Mr. Mime lost 11% of its health!

Start of turn 9

Technical Machine's Mr. Mime lost 10% of its health!

Start of turn 10

Technical Machine's Mr. Mime lost 8% of its health!
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime was poisoned!
Finally! My relief was short-lived, however:

Start of turn 11
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime used Psychic!
It's super effective!
Tentacruel lost 364 HP! (100% of its health)
Tentacruel fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime absorbed nutrients with its roots!
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime is hurt by poison!
david stone sent out Blissey!
I don't know why I went to Blissey here. A smarter move would have been to go to Celebi and use Calm Mind to try and set up against Mr. Mime.

Start of turn 12
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime used Baton Pass!
Technical Machine called Mr. Mime back!
Technical Machine sent out Vaporeon!

Blissey used Flamethrower!
It's not very effective...
A critical hit!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon lost 13% of its health!
However, given that Blissey was in, I should have used Toxic. Mr. Mime can't stay in forever thanks to Sandstorm + Poison outdamaging Leftovers + Ingrain. Toxic would have at least had a chance to catch Vaporeon as it came in. Technical Machine was having none of that, however:

Start of turn 13
Technical Machine's Vaporeon used Substitute!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon made a substitute!

Blissey used Toxic!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon's substitute blocked Toxic!
Well, time to abandon my failed strategy. I switch to Celebi as Technical Machine uses Baton Pass and brings out Gliscor. Due to all of those Calm Minds, Technical Machine gets cocky and uses Rock Polish. Celebi uses Calm Mind. Next turn is the same -- Rock Polish + Calm Mind. My only hope here is to set up along with Technical Machine and hope that Celebi's Psychic + Grass Knot can defeat everything via type advantages or that I get the first CH.

Technical Machine gets a little confused here, first using BP and going to Mr. Mime, then immediately BPing to Scizor, giving Celebi some free Calm Minds.

Technical Machine is not worried. We both have 4 Calm Minds, but Technical Machine's Scizor is behind a Substitute. I decide it's time to switch to the offensive...

Start of turn 19
Technical Machine's Scizor used Iron Defense!
Technical Machine's Scizor's Defense sharply rose!

Celebi used Psychic!
Technical Machine's Scizor's substitute took the damage!

Start of turn 20
Technical Machine's Scizor used Iron Defense!
Technical Machine's Scizor's Defense sharply rose!

Celebi used Psychic!
Technical Machine's Scizor's substitute faded!
... unfortunately, Technical Machine soon got the same idea.

Start of turn 21
Technical Machine's Scizor used Bug Bite!
It's super effective!
Celebi lost 404 HP! (100% of its health)
Celebi fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
david stone sent out Skarmory!
Score is 4-6, Technical Machine.

My next hope is maybe I can take advantage of Technical Machine's random Baton Passes and set up Spikes. Technical Machine uses Baton Pass to Mr. Mime as I do so. I don't want to risk Psychic, so I flee to Blissey.

Start of turn 23
david stone called Skarmory back!
david stone sent out Blissey!

Technical Machine's Mr. Mime used Psychic!
Blissey lost 192 HP! (29% of its health)
I'm a bit confused by this Baton Pass, but here's what happened:

Start of turn 24
Technical Machine's Mr. Mime used Baton Pass!
Technical Machine called Mr. Mime back!
Technical Machine sent out Scizor!
Technical Machine's Scizor is hurt by spikes!

Blissey used Flamethrower!
It's super effective!
Technical Machine's Scizor lost 30% of its health!
Technical Machine's Scizor was burned!
Well, it's time to go back to Skarmory and set up more Spikes. Technical Machine saw it coming and countered with a switch (by way of Baton Pass) of its own, going to Vaporeon.

Start of turn 26
Technical Machine's Vaporeon used Surf!
Skarmory lost 334 HP! (100% of its health)
Skarmory fainted!
3-6 Technical Machine

Start of turn 27
Blissey lost 241 HP! (37% of its health)

Blissey used Toxic!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon was badly poisoned!
Well, there is a positive of this. I got Vaporeon hit with Toxic. However, the reason Technical Machine didn't use Substitute to block it is because Blissey is now sitting at 33%, which is within Surf KO range. My plan was that Technical Machine might encounter a bug / logic error that it ran into several times in prior matches, which it leaves me at very low HP and just BPs along to something else. But TM was done playing around with set up moves, it was ready to finish it.

Start of turn 28
Blissey lost 218 HP! (33% of its health)
Blissey fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon absorbed nutrients with its roots!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon is hurt by poison!
david stone sent out Rotom-W!
Down to a sleeping Rotom-W and Hippowdon.

Start of turn 29
Rotom-W lost 294 HP! (96% of its health)

Rotom-W is fast asleep!

The sandstorm rages!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Rotom-W is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Rotom-W fainted!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon absorbed nutrients with its roots!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Technical Machine's Vaporeon is hurt by poison!
david stone sent out Hippowdon!

Start of turn 30
It's super effective!
Hippowdon lost 420 HP! (100% of its health)
Hippowdon fainted!

Technical Machine won the battle!
Technical Machine: http://doublewise.net/pokemon/
Now that TM mostly understands the fundamentals of Baton Pass, I think I'll begin testing it with my 6 Choice item team that has 4 Pokemon with U-turn. This should help see how well it handles high-powered offense.

Astute observers may have noticed that Technical Machine only revealed 5 Pokemon: Gliscor, Smeargle, Mr. Mime, Vaporeon, and Scizor. The final Pokemon is Lucario. The problem is that Technical Machine assigns things like stat boosts higher points if the current Pokemon has Baton Pass, so passing to Lucario is always seen as a big loss unless it can guarantee a win. However, by the time it could see the guaranteed win, it already had its own win by just leaving in Vaporeon. Technical Machine's play could therefore be a lot stronger if I were to add a Pokemon that had Baton Pass in the last slot. For instance, Baton Pass, Air Slash, Aura Sphere, ??? Togekiss or Baton Pass, Thunderbolt, ???, ??? Zapdos. Even something like Baton Pass, Wish, Substitute / Taunt, Dark Pulse / Taunt / Mean Look Umbreon would be a huge benefit.

I have always been really impressed with your work on TM. I haven't kept completely up to date on the progress, but this is serious improvement since some of the battles I read about 6 months ago.

I assume that you know TM's team before you start, does it know yours? I remember reading somewhere that it had/has a team predictor based on something. EDIT-read the Team Predictor Page, now I know.

while TM's work here is really cool, I would love to see it "improvise" vs a team with Perish Song or Trick users, or the highly offensive team you mentioned.

(I might have missed it, but is the search depth 2 for this battle?)

Man, I thought you were pretty good (or at least pretty knowledgeable), and TM comes and just tears you a new one.

I knew the robot apocalypse had already happened--look how many gadgets control our daily lives--but reading this log just struck fear into my heart. Is there an option to change the search depth in an effort to simulate different skill levels, or does one have to dive into the source code to tweak that? I'm still holding out hope that this thing can be a teaching aid more than a robot opponent.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn obi, this is getting better and better. I'm glad you fixed that glitch between Gliscor/Vaporeon that was there before. The Blissey Flamethrower on Scizor was just hilarious, by the way. He sponged that thing like nothing. A+

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When I run Technical Machine, I use the command aio [depth], which in this case was 3. Trusted users can also PM commands via !depth [depth]. In other words, it's about as simple to change the depth as possible. There is no source code modification necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)