Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there's not gonna be any competitive battling for some time, then? :(

Is it possible that the old Smogon PO server will be up and running temporarily, or is there just going to be zero battling for a while?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
If it's any longer than a few hours from now, I'll spin up another backup server, k?

Can't change my name

First of all i want to say sorry if this thread is not in the correct place.

Now to the point. I've been trying to connect to Pokemon Showdown like half an hour and doesn't matter how many times i try, i can't change my name, i enter as "Guest XXXX" and can't change it to my registered name "Eyrfith619". Do i have a problem with the internet browser or something?

Thanks in advance.

Snowflakes

Dango Dango Daikazoku
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why isn't there a PS server ? I thought we had the new server up, since it was working fine about half an hour ago.
If that's the case then I'm wrong, Zarel did say he'd get a backup server but I'm not sure how that worked out. Generally he limits the users able to get on to the server so it doesn't lag but I was asleep for the past 9 hours so if anything happened between then I'm unaware.

... Someone should really sticky something that says not to say anything about name changing problems.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
We are currently having issues with lag. While our Administrators are hard at work fixing the problem we ask that you be patient and do not post about not being able to select your username.
Also bring questions like this into Technical Support rather than make a seperate thread.

The technical details here are as follows:

1. Attacker DDoS's us (we're looking into how).
  2. The hosting provider null routes us (basically makes the server unreachable).
  3. A few hours later, the hosting company decides the DDoS attack is over and restores service.

There appear to be very few things we can do to break this cycle and prevent DDoS attacks (the previous server was under a very restrictive firewall, and we hadn't even finished setting up this new one when we were first attacked). We are, however, investigating all our options.

Edit: to build on this, DDoS affects much bigger targets than Smogon's simulators. Smogon.com has been taken down by DDoS attacks before, and we're nowhere close to the most high profile target taken down recently.

The technical details here are as follows:

1. Attacker DDoS's us (we're looking into how).
  2. The hosting provider null routes us (basically makes the server unreachable).
  3. A few hours later, the hosting company decides the DDoS attack is over and restores service.

There appear to be very few things we can do to break this cycle and prevent DDoS attacks (the previous server was under a very restrictive firewall, and we hadn't even finished setting up this new one when we were first attacked). We are, however, investigating all our options.

Edit: to build on this, DDoS affects much bigger targets than Smogon's simulators. Smogon.com has been taken down by DDoS attacks before, and we're nowhere close to the most high profile target taken down recently.
A DDoS is an attack that's specifically targeted at something, if I'm understanding that right?

Does that mean there's someone just sitting around dedicating all their time to trying to take down PS every time it comes back up? That's just ridiculous, geez...

Ok I am now confused. So this is not true?:

Pokemon Showdown is under heavy load.
:(

We WILL fix these performance issues ASAP.

Please try back in an hour or so; the server will open and close intermittently until we sort out the remaining performance issues.
So PS is DDoS'd (is that how you say it) and not under heavy load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)