Teddiursa (Analysis)

QC APPROVED [2/2]

[Overview]

Teddiursa is back for more competitive battling with an amazing Attack stat, but its frail defenses and a horrible Speed stat keep it away from common usage, unfortunately. Quick Feet manages to fix the Speed problem, and Bulk Up can be used to remedy its poor Defense stat, but Teddiursa finds it hard to set up. On top of this Teddiursa is often overshadowed by Taillow, which has dual STAB coverage and higher Attack and Speed. Teddiursa has some nice advantages over Taillow, however, such as the ability to hit Steel-types for super effective damage, and a higher Attack stat than Taillow without a Guts boost.</p>

[SET]

name: Quick Feet
move 1: Protect / Swords Dance
move 2: Facade
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Close Combat / Fire Punch
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Quick Feet
nature: Jolly
evs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Sadly, this is Teddiursa's only viable set. Use Protect on the first turn and proceed to sweep with STAB Facade. Crunch is mainly used for Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon, and it offers unresisted coverage with Close Combat. Close Combat is what gives Teddiursa an edge over Taillow, allowing it to nail Steel-type Pokemon that can safely switch in on Facade Teddiursa You can use Fire Punch to hit Bronzor— and other Steel-type Pokemon without lowering its defenses but will lose out on of both coverage and power.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are invested primarily in Teddiursa's Speed and Attack stats to increase its offensive capabilities, while the remaining EVs are used to increase its HP, Defense, and Special Defense stats by one point. You can use Swords Dance if you have a way of getting Teddiursa room to set up. A good teammate for this is Wynaut with Encore. Taillow manages to 2HKO Teddiursa with Brave Bird. While Teddiursa does the same with Facade, Taillow is faster than it and will always KO. Also, The EVs allow Teddiursa to hit 14 speed with a Jolly nature, and after a Quick Feet boost it hits 21 speed, which is enough to outspeed all of the unboosted LC metagame.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Teddiursa has a diverse movepool, but sadly not a lot of viable options. Attacks such as Earthquake, Aerial Ace and Rock Slide can be used to hit certain Pokemon for super effective damage, but generally aren't used because Facade is more powerful. Brick Break is an alternative to Close Combat to avoid drops to Teddiursa's Defense and Special Defense, but the extra power that comes with Close Combat is appreciated. Hone Claws is good for boosting Attack and Accuracy, but Teddiursa doesn't have many low accuracy moves to abuse it with. It also has fairly good support moves, but sadly no bulk to make it a reliable supporter.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Sadly, priority is the end of Teddiursa due to its frail defenses. Wooper is a solid check due to Unaware ignoring the Swords Dance boosts, and Wooper is able to set up with Curse against Teddiursa or stall it Toxic damage with Recover. Faster Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Taillow can outspeed and KO Teddiursa. Bronzor also walls it. The LC metagame is filled with Fighting-types, most notably Scraggy, Mienfoo, and Timburr, all of which can OHKO Teddiursa with a STAB attack.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Teddiursa's DW ability is Honey Gather, which is only usable outside of battle. Therefore Quick Feet both outclass it competitively.</p>

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Both the writing and content need some work here. Gonna lock this for the time being; The Doritos Trainer, PM me when you've made some changes to this and I'll unlock it for you.

Edit: Unlocked.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You should mention what it has over Taillow (and other Pokémon for that matter), not just that Taillow is a better option. One thing is that Teddiursa has something to hit Steel-types with, namely Close Combat.

You should mention what it has over Taillow (and other Pokémon for that matter), not just that Taillow is a better option. One thing is that Teddiursa has something to hit Steel-types with, namely Close Combat.
Added and added some other things.

OK we talked about this yesterday on irc and you covered everything I told you to.
QC APPROVED [1/2]

Edit: forgot if close combat and crunch is illegal together someone should look into that; if so, night slash should be used over crunch.

OK we talked about this yesterday on irc and you covered everything I told you to.
QC APPROVED [1/2]

Edit: forgot if close combat and crunch is illegal together someone should look into that; if so, night slash should be used over crunch.
Close Combat and Crunch is legal due to obtaining via 4 Gen (GrandBull)

also should I give Fire Punch a slash over CC?When I was testing Bronzor gave it problems and CC does not do over half and Fire Punch is 2-hit KO

Close Combat and Crunch is legal due to obtaining via 4 Gen (GrandBull)

also should I give Fire Punch a slash over CC?When I was testing Bronzor gave it problems and CC does not do over half and Fire Punch is 2-hit KO
Over CC? No. Fighting/dark gets much better coverage than fire/dark since now you'll lose the ability to OHKO lileep and Aron (though the latter is uncommon). Close Combat should still be first.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, this looks good now. Also, Crunch+Close Combat can just be bred from Smeargle.

[QC 2/2]

Yeah, but I don't think you should have any spaces between the tags and the beginning/end of a paragraph. For example:

<p>Teddiursa is really cute!</p>

Not:

<p> Teddiursa is really cute! </p>

And then you'll be ready for GP checks :)

After reading through this...may I recommend you have someone else write this for you based off of the skeleton? I understand English is not your mother tongue. While I'm not saying your English isn't good, I feel like it would be significantly easier for this to be rewritten than for it to be GP checked. Also, spellcheck is your friend. Microsoft Word can catch many of the simpler mistakes you have in here.

After reading through this...may I recommend you have someone else write this for you based off of the skeleton? I understand English is not your mother tongue. While I'm not saying your English isn't good, I feel like it would be significantly easier for this to be rewritten than for it to be GP checked. Also, spellcheck is your friend. Microsoft Word can catch many of the simpler mistakes you have in here.
Ok Ok i fixed all minor mistakes.

It's a lot better now, so you can disregard the previous post. Howeevr, you need to eleaborate-- a lot. Explain more of this set's purpose. The checks/counters section is looking kind of empty. There are more things that threaten Teddiursa, like all the Fighting-type Pokemon? In the AC, the EVs AREN'T self explanatory! Explain them. What speed number do you hit before quick feet? Afterwards? Also, you need to explain who benefits from having Teddiursa on the team, and who Teddiursa wants. There is no explanation of partners, or no mention of entry hazards! Likewise, how in the holy mother of arceus do Cottonee and Bronzor wall this set? No LC Pokemon resists Normal/Dark/Fighting. I don't think anyone does.

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What blarajan says is true, I would GP this, but it is really lacking in depth and expansion. Take a look at some good examples that are already onsite, such as this and this.
Good luck!

It's a lot better now, so you can disregard the previous post. Howeevr, you need to eleaborate-- a lot. Explain more of this set's purpose. The checks/counters section is looking kind of empty. There are more things that threaten Teddiursa, like all the Fighting-type Pokemon? In the AC, the EVs AREN'T self explanatory! Explain them. What speed number do you hit before quick feet? Afterwards? Also, you need to explain who benefits from having Teddiursa on the team, and who Teddiursa wants. There is no explanation of partners, or no mention of entry hazards! Likewise, how in the holy mother of arceus do Cottonee and Bronzor wall this set? No LC Pokemon resists Normal/Dark/Fighting. I don't think anyone does.
well Bronzor resists the Close Combat and Crunch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)