1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Data Tell me your alt! Please?

Discussion in 'Smogon Metagames' started by Antar, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

Let me start off by saying this is completely voluntary.

I'm trying to come up with some methods of determining what the typical "competitive" player looks like on PS. So who counts as a "competitive" player? Basically, anyone who's a member of Smogon counts and who reads this forum counts, I think, because it means you care enough about teambuilding to use this site as a resource.

To that end, I'm going to do an extremely unscientific study by asking users to voluntarily report their PS alts. I promise your answers will be kept confidential, and I will delete all responses once I'm done with my analysis.

So if you care about making the stats better, take a minute to fill out the form. Thanks to all of you, in advance.

Click me plz?
    WreckDra, ashfr and ZarZDodge like this.
  2. Mowtom

Mowtom I'm so meta, even this acronym!

What happens when we make a new alt? Do we fill out the form again with all if our alts? Just the new one?
    Bepo likes this.
  3. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

tmacbalanced and Mowtom like this.
  4. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Should I give out my alts even if I don't play since January or whatever?
  5. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Up to you. I'm looking at Glicko R, which doesn't decay. But any ladders that have been reset, you won't appear, so w/e.
    Mario With Lasers likes this.
  6. Ununhexium

Ununhexium dog
    is a Contributor to Smogon

I answered. I'm just curious what you will ultimately do with this
  7. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Ununhexium, I'm trying to get a sense of the distribution of the ratings of competitive players (vs. just typical players) on Pokemon Showdown.
  8. Ununhexium

Ununhexium dog
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Oh OK I didn't entirely understand the op
  9. rachet67

rachet67

I don't really have any clean alts anymore, so I hope the one I submitted is fine.

Anyways, maybe you should put this in the OU section or something as well if you want more activity.
  10. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

rachet67, yeah, but I don't just want OU players.
  11. GlassGlaceon

GlassGlaceon My heart has now been set on love

Um, I have over 50 alts that I commonly use for short amounts of time :@@@
  12. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

13. Brawlfest

Brawlfest I SOUND WEIRD LIKE NIGGA WITH A HARD R
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

I haven't done much serious laddering since past resets, but w/e my bwnu ladders are there ^_^, Submitted! Hope it helps :]
  14. SoulMuse

SoulMuse

Are you planning on publishing whatever data you collect, or making it publicly available in some way?
  15. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

SoulMuse, I'm going to use it for something, but only if I get a large enough sample. I don't even have 200 alts yet. Individual alts will remain anonymous--it's only the aggregate that I'm interested in.
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  16. Disaster Area

Disaster Area formerly Piexplode

I've only ladder on Piexplode and portugalese
    I've never laddered seriously and it's been a while (but after reset) that I've laddered and I'm only a competitive player in ubers. I laddered more seriously with portugalese, with Piexplode I played a notable portion with uncompetitive teams (monobug, eeveelutions, etc.) (my W/L is still like 99/54 or something like that though)
    Willing to help (though I only really do competitive battling in tournaments)
  17. psVoltage

psVoltage

Not sure if these had to be cleaner or used, so I just put the one I've used the most for whatever and the new ladder alt I'm working on now. Hope it helps!
  18. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Ideally used. And thanks!
  19. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

20. Disaster Area

Antar a way to get larger amounts of people who fit this; in Ubers we're having a laddering challenge. Anyone beginning with UXQ is a part of the challenge. Tbh looking at the thread I'd call most of the players who's joined are legit players. If you took like the top 90% of those you can gather information from you'll probably have a really solid sample in ubers of the rankings of good players.
    Antar likes this.
  21. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Piexplode, of course, Ubers is probably the tier where this matters least, since usage in it has no bearing whatsoever on tiering (not even the possibility of an unofficial UU banlist). But thanks for the thought.
  22. Disaster Area

It's still relevant for the sake of seeing what sort of ranking the 'good' players obtain, in spite of having no impact on tiering. :) I'm aware lol
  23. Swamp Link

Swamp Link Yum
    is a Contributor Alumnus

On that note, OU, UU, and RU have similar challenges.
    Antar likes this.
  24. Disaster Area

Do they operate with the same tag?

Note that the Ubers one has been really popular.. we've had like 30 people with the tag on at once before lol. That's like half the room.
  25. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Piexplode, Swamp Link, what do you think the odds are that these challenges are tied exclusively to Smogon folks?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)