Other Metagames Tell Your Friends

Intro

I couldn't think of a title, so I'll be unoriginal and make it a song. One of my current favourites actually.

Anyway, on to the team. This is essentially a theme team. The team was made with Gen4 and below stuff, like my old rmt which was coincidentally all gen5 and below. I jokingly said in the OM room that my next RMT would be Gen4 and below when someone pointed out that my last team was Gen5 stuff only. After that I built a few theme teams with Gen4 and below stuff but this one stood out from the rest and reminded me of my old priority spam teams. All in all this is the favourite one from the few I made and it's fun to use.

The team at a glance

The team itself is hyperoffense. Nothing on it has any real bulk but they all hit hard and they all have very specific things they do. The team essentially shows what you can expect hyper offense teams in AAA to be: Priority Check + Wall Breaker + Setup Sweeper + Priority Users.

I started out building with Sheer Force Calm Mind Latios because I've been meaning to use this set for a long time now but never really got around to it.

After I had the set, what immediately came to mind was that aside from Chansey/Goodra/Meloetta Ferrothorn and Heatran are annoying for this set. So, with that Idea came the next two members. Sash Magnet Pull Infernape (an extremely effective and annoying trapper, provided I can keep the field clear of hazards) and Band Adaptability TTar. Giving credit where it's due, I've first witnessed Sash MagPull Nape being used by manu 11 vs me and it was extremely annoying and I believe Pagoose was the first to theorymon up the monster that is Adapt BandTar.

Moving on, I figured I was missing the mandatory Gale Wings check and all my mons lost to the common Gale Wings Users that aren't Skarm. So, I threw on Skarm as a check.

Next up, I figured with Steels being trapped and killed by Nape and Latios taking care of stuff like Suicune and Doublade (thinking they can switch in) another Gale Wings user could do a lot of work. However unlike Skarmory, BandRaptor has immense immediate power and does a ton of work vs offensive teams without a boost, unlike Skarmory who only starts doing a lot of work after the initial boost.

Lastly noticing that I had a bit of a Refrigerate weakness, I threw in Regenerator Pivot Manaphy. It's a great momentum grabber and general utility mon. It's also a counter to Regrigerate Entei which is the most threatening Regrigerate user to this team.

In Depth​

Latios
@
| Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature | EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Psychic
| Thunderbolt
| Shadow Ball
| Calm Mind

Psychic is sheer force boosted STAB, with Bulky Steels and Chansey/Melo/Goodra out of the way, there's not much that can take a psychic from Latios well espcially after the calm mind. Dark Types still pose a problem for Latios, and it should be kept off field unless it's an absolute necessity for it to be out since most dark types you'll run into are fast and offensive, plus they almost always carry Pursuit. Thunderbolt lets Latios set up on and beat bulky waters like Slowbro/Suicune and hits like the only defensive Dark Type in the tier, Mandibuzz, super effectively. Also, some skarmory expecting the more common Dragon/Psychic STAB Latios, gets caught by surprise and OHKO'd. Mega Metagross is a very threatening pokemon to this team, nothing can really beat it after it gets a free switch in and rocks are up on my side. Latios can lure out Metagross in the base form and hit it with Shadow Ball while it's faster, (even OHKO-ing if it has +1) putting it in range for Staraptor's Brave Bird. Shadow Ball also hits Cresselia hard and OHKO's Doublades that might want to switch in. With Calm Mind, Latios serves as my win condition vs a lot of bulkier teams with Skarm being unable to break through things like unaware Suicune/Skarmories/Zapdos (very common pokemon).

Alternate options:
Ice Beam can be used over Shadow Ball because in many games i've missed the ability to hit Dragons. Latios can also run 4 attacks, but I've had a lot of fun with Calm Mind, it essentially gets a free calm mind on any team with Zapdos/Suicune and Zapdos/Suicune are very common mons.

Infernape
@
| Ability: Magnet Pull
Hasty Nature | EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Close Combat
| Overheat
| Mach Punch
| Flare Blitz

Infernape's only purpose in this team is to get rid of Steel types and this movepool aids it in doing so. Close Combat is required for beat Ferrothorn and Heatran since the former usually runs a fire immunity ability. Overheat is required to OHKO Skarmory (most are Gale Wings). Flare Blitz is a strong reliable STAB move that can be used to hit switchins like Zapdos/Mew or just throw out when your opponent has no fire resists. Mach Punch can finish off Pokemon that have very little HP but happen to outspeed you, like Metagross living a Flare Blitz and bringing Nape to sash after mega evolving, or to get off damage on stuff like a trapped Chlorophyll Heatran so it can't spam eruption anymore. The EV spread has enough speed to outspeed base 100s, the rest goes into SpA to power up overheat.

Alternate options:
Infernape can set up rocks vs steels it traps, so Rocks can be an option over Mach or Flare but most likely scenario in such cases would be an exchange of rocks and with the team not liking rocks plust the team's only method of hazard removal being Defog, I figured it'd be redundant. Rocks do however give Infernape something to do in Steel-less matchups where it could serve as a Suicude lead as opposed to not doing anything. manu 11's Infernape had Encore and Endeavor, so those are options too I guess.

Tyranitar
@
| Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature | EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Pursuit
| Crunch
| Stone Edge
| Stealth Rock

Tyranitar clears the way for Latios by Pursuit trapping things like Goodra/Chansey and acts as the team's wallbreaker. with Band Adaptability boosted Crunch/Stone Edge hits extremely hard and with steel types gone it can spam a very scary Stone Edge. Stealth Rock is here to take advantage of Tyranitar's ability to force switches (though you'll have to switch out after clicking rocks too). Generally only used in matchups where rocks are important, I'm honestly kind of used to not using rocks so I don't really care about reliable rocks setters. You can generally play through a lot of matchups without rocks up.

Alternate options:
Band Rocks is something a lot of people find odd and admittedly, it is a bit strange so you could possibly replace that with a coverage move .

Skarmory
@
| Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature | EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Swords Dance
| Brave Bird
| Roost
| Defog

Acting as a win condition vs frailer offensive teams and doubling as a Birdcheck, Skarmory is everything talonflame wishes it could be. It really lives up to it's S rank name. Super easy to throw on teams and very effective in most matchups. Set's very simple, Priority Brave Bird is the only STAB move and SD is used to setup. Roost helps with longetivity and allows it to remain healthy while setting up vs passive things or weak physical attackers. I used defog in my last slot because Skarmory is a very reliable defogger and the team was lacking hazard removal. Skarmory loves the fact that Tyranitar pursuit traps Zapdos/Doublade and Infernape gets rid of annoying Steels like Heatran.

Alternate options:
The defog slot can have a lot of different support moves. Taunt lets it set up on Snorlax, other Skarm and passive mons like Ferrothorn. Whirlwind phases out things that attempt to setup on Skarm, like PH Zygarde/Snorlax/Suicune or stuff like Gyarados after it has set up/+2 Mega Metagross (from the defiant boost), which skarm can generally* live one hit from.

*+2 thunderpunch from MegaGross OHKOs.

Staraptor
@
| Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature | EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
U-turn
| Brave Bird
| Return
| Tailwind

Staraptor is another thing that appreciates Magnetpull + Ttar support.as those two things get rid of possible Bird checks like Doublade/Zapdos/Heatran. It's also an extremely powerful revengekiller with priority Banded Brave Bird coming off of 120 Base attack. It can OHKO a lot of things from full in frailer offensive teams and cleans up really nicely late game. Brave Bird is STAB and the move it will be spamming the most. U-Turn allows it to gain momentum on predicted switches and bring out appropriate switches. Like say, U-Turning out on a predicted Zapdos switch either meants a dead Zapdos (via ttar) or Free setup for Latios, depending on the situation. Return it essentially there to hit Zapdos in desperate situations/to damage switchins like chansey without killing itself. Tailwind can, in certain situations, be a lifesaver. For example, It can setup a tailwind and die vs an offensive team, allowing Tyranitar to come out and stomp the opposition.

Alternate options:
With all the support this team provides to get rid of Checks to BirdSpam, I feel this is the best moveset it can use. It does however have a pool of moves it could use in the last two slots, namely Pursuit, Double Edge, Close Combat, Defog and maybe, Roost.

Manaphy
@
| Ability: Regenerator
Relaxed Nature | EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
U-turn
| Knock Off
| Scald
| Ice Beam

Scald is here because it spreads burns like there's no tomorrow and it's the strongest option vs Refrigerate users like Entei and Lucario. Ice Beam hits Zygarde and other Dragons. U-Turn is a neat move and probably the most used one on this. Great for picking up and maintaining momentum, while bringing in my pokemon safely vs faster offensive teams. Knock off gets rid of items, catches Chansey and Doublade by surprise. Manaphy is essentially the team's doublade check.

Threatlist
Weather Teams: Don't really have anything for them. Reliant on Infernape to take out Magnezone and Heatran, the most problematic abusers, and then spamming Brave Bird seems like a plan.

Strong Attackers: I have no switchins to anything. Latios/Gengar/Victini can easily get kills but they cannot swith into much. Well, lati/tini can switch in on Infernape, in which case you sac it and trap it with Ttar. Generally the plan is sac and trap. Gengar is harder because you need to predict it to come in and double to your gale wings mon, rocks help. Pangoro gets free switches on lati and ttar (well, not as much on lati as ttar) so be careful. Heracross can't switch in on much, but i also have no switchins to it.

PH Zygarde: How do you beat it? Beats me. Well, your best bet is to try and knock it off with manaphy which probably won't happen and then you try to not let it set up and spam Ice Beam with manaphy. It sets up in nape so keep that in mind. Well, now that I think about it, a gimmicky take would be to put Whirlwind on Staraptor which would go before Dragon Tail. It would work vs the general set which is coil/sub/eq/dtail.

Shoutouts
I mentioned in my last RMT that I wouldn't be doing individual shoutouts ever again. Here's to my rooms: Other Metas, Lobby, Tours. All the auth there are great people, I love you guys :] . Everyone in Global auth have been nothing but nice ever since the promotion so s/o to you too. Special thanks goes to OM for really bringing me into rooms in the first place and to tours for really bringing me into the big room dynamic. Also, s/o to all the regs I'm friends with, you know who you are.

Importable​

Code:
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Skarmory @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Defog

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Return
- Tailwind

Manaphy @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Last edited:
Honestly for Band TTar i would suggest considering Superpower over Rocks. Or Iron Head to hit PH Diancie. And personally i think you should still run Close Combat on Staraptor, you don't have as much support for removing bulky rock types such as Tyranitar. But other then that great team. Infernape in particular looks like a good reason to start running shed shell on my steels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)