Terrakion (All-Out Attacker) (QC 2/3)

So I was tinkering around with LO attackers and Mamoswine, while powerful, was just too slow. So I slapped a Life Orb on Terrakion and holy shit it's amazing.

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Earthquake / Protect
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • A lot of Terrakions are Choiced, so a lot of his checks and counters rely on him being unable to switch moves. This set poops on those Pokemon's dreams.
  • Fighting/Rock is Jesus-tier STAB
  • HP Ice crushes Landorus-T and Gliscor and heavily damages or KOs weakened Dragonite/Salamence without risking a Stone Edge miss and Garchomp
  • Earthquake rounds out coverage, including hitting Toxicroak and Tentacruel, who otherwise wall this set, as well as hitting Jirachi harder than anything else Terrakion has
  • Protect helps scouting revenge killers. Is Scizor gonna Bullet Punch or U-turn? Never fret again
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • X-Scissor is your strongest option against Psychics, but it only barely edges out Stone Edge in power, and oftentimes the Pokemon that you want to hit with X-Scissor are faster and can OHKO you anyway, which reduces X-Scissor's utility
  • Quick Attack can do some stuff, I guess. If Latios or Breloom are super weak (under 30%) it can pick them off before they can react
  • Expert Belt makes Terrakion an effective lure, bluffing a Choice item, but you lose a lot of power in the neutral coverage of your STABs
  • DD Dragonite and SD Lucario without Ice Punch appreciate Landorus-T and Gliscor being gone
  • Jellicent covers Terrakion's priority weakness and covers some of Terrakion's type weaknesses, but should watch out for coverage moves like Flying Gem Acrobatics, Sheer Force Thunder Punch, and Technician Bullet Seed
  • Keldeo can't do much against Toxicroak, Jellicent, Celebi, or Tentacruel, the right coverage move (including Stone Edge) on Terrakion help get rid of them
  • Without Hidden Power Ice, switch to a Jolly Nature and move the 4 spare EVs to Special Defense.

Last edited:
Slash HP Ice with Earthquake. Hitting your two best counters is really important, especially considering that EQ doesn't hit that many relevant threats.
EDIT: Also slash a Naive nature with Jolly if you add this move.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
this set is pretty good, but to be honest Terrakion doesn't need 4 moves for what it needs to hit. Most battles you'll be only your STABs and sometimes the third move, although pretty rarely. When I've used this set or seen it used, it looked like this:

move 3: Quick Attack / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Hidden Power Ice hits pretty much the only thing you can't hit with your STABs (Landorus-T) which is cool I guess, but Quick Attack lets Terrakion pick off weakened offensive Pokemon that could otherwise check it, like a low health Latios or something. Protect is really good since it lets you scout choiced Pokemon (ie Scizor) so if they U-turn or something you can fire off a Close Combat which will wreck something against offensive teams

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Endorsing Jirachi's set.

Get some partners in there too please, I can't approve without them there.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm. I'll take this one into consideration, but be sure to clean the information up by implementing actual bullet points and putting a "why this set deserves to be on-site" so QC members catch the point of this set.

For now, however, the fourth slot should have Protect slapped in there somewhere.

Ok, so I've been using this set a lot lately, and I've found that one of the biggest strengths about this set is its ability to lure in and beat its usual counters and help teammates that share those same counters. That said, I personally think HP Ice needs to be a primary slash in the third slot. Being able to KO a Gliscor or Landorus-T that switched into Stone Edge is huge, and it does a good job of opening up for other sweepers that want those two gone, such as non-Ice Punch SD Lucario. HP Ice has been a decent option on other sets for this very reason, but I think the Life Orb boost and ability to switch moves freely makes it a lot more attractive on this set. I like the idea of Protect in the fourth slot, but at the very least I think Earthquake needs to be slashed after it. BU Toxicroak makes a pretty good switch-in to most Terrakion sets since even a CB Close Combat with SR down fails to 2HKO BU Toxicroak most of the time in Rain, and Earthquake does massive damage to Toxicroak and outright KOs if it has switched into either of Terrakion's STABs. Scarf Keldeo in particular loves this since BU Toxicroak shuts Keldeo down and sets up on it, while Keldeo can abuse Toxicroak's own Rain and possibly sweep late game once it's gone. It also helps against niche stuff like Nidoqueen, which is nice.

Just some ideas since I'm not on QC, but I really think it needs to be Close Combat | Stone Edge | Hidden Power Ice / Quick Attack | Earthquake / Protect, or something along those lines. Protect and Earthquake could be swapped if QC likes that option, and I guess X-Scissor might deserve a slash, but the important one here is HP Ice as a primary slash.

EDIT: Oh yeah, perhaps I should explain why I'm not big on X-Scissor on this set. There is a handful of Pokemon that you hit harder with X-Scissor than anything else: Latios, Latias, Starmie, Alakazam, Espeon, Celebi, and Reuniclus. X-Scissor is great on Scarf sets since Terrakion can actually outspeed all of these and hit them harder/more reliably than with Stone Edge, but on sets like this, Terrakion is outsped and likely OHKO'd by 5 of these 7. Unless you predict the switch-in (many of these aren't switching into an attack any time soon), it won't be helping against them. Of the remaining two, Reuniclus will either be OTR or bulky CM most of the time. OTR sets won't likely be switching directly into Terrakion, and it can take an X-Scissor, set up Trick Room, and sweep past Terrakion. 252/252+ CM Reuniclus is only 2HKO'd 7.42% of the time by X-Scissor, so it usually wins 1-on-1 anyway. Now, it does help a lot with Celebi, which is a legitimate reason to use it due to Celebi's popularity as a defensive pivot. It's not completely necessary since Stone Edge 2HKOs 252/0 Celebi 98.44% of the time even without Stealth Rock, but it's enough to warrant a slash, albeit not a primary one in my opinion.

Last edited:
I like this set and how it can lure in and beat its main counter, while maintaining the freedom to switch moves however i dont really get why make it a separate terrakion set. The only difference between this and choice band is the item choice pretty much. Why not just do something like this:
[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Earthquake
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
The choice of item is just based on preference, more power and no recoil vs freedom to switch moves.

Okay. So, I'm a little strapped for time right now (about to head out of town until tonight so I'll be away from my computer), but I'll see what I can do on my phone until then. So far, I'm getting move HP Ice's slash to 3rd slot/X-Scissor and add Protect in a slash in the fourth slot. What about Protect and/or Quick Attack?

Adamant is better imo. I don't want to hear about hwo it gets outsped, but consider the power. Personally I can't really think of anything it will miss outspeeding. Lando-I is gone, DDmence doesnot exist, non scarf jirachi doesn't really run max speed. Also I would take EQ more seriously, it can be really helpful.

Adamant is better imo. I don't want to hear about hwo it gets outsped, but consider the power. Personally I can't really think of anything it will miss outspeeding. Lando-I is gone, DDmence doesnot exist, non scarf jirachi doesn't really run max speed. Also I would take EQ more seriously, it can be really helpful.
No.

Okay, how about now?

I'd toss in a mention of Tentacruel alongside Jirachi in the comments about Earthquake. The difference between Stone Edge and Earthquake against the standard 248/244 Tentacruel is 60.6 - 71.9% vs 80.99 - 95.86%, which is pretty huge (you also don't have to deal with 80% accuracy). Just something I forgot to mention about Earthquake in my last post. ^_^

Last edited:
Ok now you're just being a dick. Not only do you not even consider trying it, you shut me down like I'm retarded or something. If you responded with something like "terrakion is much better with jolly blahblahblah" you would just be another snobbish asshole, but this is kind of different. You don't even bother to cite specific examples as to why adamant terrakion sucks, which it doesn't.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You lose out to max Speed Kyurem-B, Volcarona (that's huge since it now you can't check it at all), Offensive Ninetales, Haxorus, Hydreigon, DD Salamence, CM Jirachi, Thundurus-T, and GARCHOMP. Not to mention always losing to Keldeo and Infernape, as well as the rare Mienshao and Zoroark. Is that enough of a reason for you? Adamant Terrakion is a waste of the new best speed tier in OU. The only time I would ever consider using Adamant is MAYBE if I were using Rock Polish without Swords Dance, but I don't know why you would use that.

Ok now you're just being a dick. Not only do you not even consider trying it, you shut me down like I'm retarded or something. If you responded with something like "terrakion is much better with jolly blahblahblah" you would just be another snobbish asshole, but this is kind of different. You don't even bother to cite specific examples as to why adamant terrakion sucks, which it doesn't.
Adamant Terrakion is outsped by positive-natured: Salamence, Volcarona, Garchomp, Infernape, Keldeo, and opposing Terrakion. Not worth it unless you're boosting with Rock Polish.

EDIT: Damn, stuffed by Halcyon. Also, I find it funny how even if I pointed out how you were wrong that makes me a "snobbish asshole". Try and keep your ad hominems to yourself, okay?

Last edited:
You lose out to max Speed Kyurem-B, Volcarona (that's huge since it now you can't check it at all), Offensive Ninetales, Haxorus, Hydreigon, DD Salamence, CM Jirachi, Thundurus-T, and GARCHOMP. Not to mention always losing to Keldeo and Infernape, as well as the rare Mienshao and Zoroark. Is that enough of a reason for you? Adamant Terrakion is a waste of the new best speed tier in OU. The only time I would ever consider using Adamant is MAYBE if I were using Rock Polish without Swords Dance, but I don't know why you would use that.
SubRP liechi manly. Jk

I don't know, isn't Earthquake really good for Terrakion? I mean, it gets to destroy Jirachi, Tentacruel, Toxicroak, and the rare Metagross and Infernape, and you don't have to waste a Close Combat/risk a Stone Edge miss against Tyranitar, Magnezone, Heatran, Lucario, opposing Terrakion, and Ninetales, among other things I've probably missed out on. I'm not a huge fan of Protect solely for the scouting personally, nor do I think Quick Attack is that useful. It still does horrible damage (like 20% on Keldeo and Latias) and I think Terrakion is better off using Hidden Power Ice literally all of the time.

Close Combat
Stone Edge
Hidden Power Ice
Earthquake / Protect

AC: X-Scissor and Quick Attack.

This is how I would order it, but other QC members can object to this if they want. I just think Earthquake is pretty good for this particular Terrakion.

I think part of the stigma against EQ is that it's super dangerous on Choice sets, but this set isn't Choiced, so I'd like to see it returned to the set proper as well.

earthquake is ac; scouting to see if a band scizor / scarf rachi or something is doing a particular move is too valuable
I don't think I've ran into a situation where 'wasting' a CC is bad because I've never ran out of PP, even against stall teams

earthquake is ac; scouting to see if a band scizor / scarf rachi or something is doing a particular move is too valuable
I don't think I've ran into a situation where 'wasting' a CC is bad because I've never ran out of PP, even against stall teams
Using Earthquake over Close Combat/Stone Edge is not to conserve PP, it's just to prevent the defense drops and potential misses. Conserving PP is an added bonus I guess.

I get that Protect is a valuable move against Band Scizor/Scarf Rachi, which is why I didn't neglect it altogether in my proposed set; however, it's just when it comes to instances where you Protect against Scizor, thinking it's Banded, but in actuality it's some Swords Dance set. You can obviously scout for the set it runs before bringing Terrakion in, but you're gonna have to keep it waiting in the wings if you don't want to potentially fall under that trap. Another case is where you Protect and it Bullet Punches, but the opponent just doubles into something that counters your Bullet Punch answer to rebuild momentum against you.

I still think Earthquake is more valuable than Protect all things considered because it hits important targets and the coverage is very handy. That's just me, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)