Terrakion (Analysis)

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: 2/2
GP Checks: 2/2

Terrakion

[Overview]

<p>Terrakion is a staple for many teams with its high Attack and Speed. However, having several weaknesses to some of the most common attacking types in VGC leaves it with several challenges to overcome. However, with the right support behind its nearly unresisted STAB combination, Terrakion will be a deadly foe to take on for the opponent.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Quick Attack
move 4: Protect / Quick Guard / Safeguard
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a set built to be used with Tailwind support, and deal damage right off the bat. Close Combat and Rock Slide are Terrakion's dual STAB attacks, which are only resisted by Golurk in VGC 2011. Quick Attack finishes off weakened foes. Protect can be used to stall out Trick Room or avoid taking an attack while Terrakion's partner attacks and KOes a threat. Quick Guard stops priority attacks such as Fake Out and Mach Punch, which can help Terrakion stay alive and allow a partner to set up Tailwind or boost Terrakion's attack with Beat Up. Safeguard blocks Spore from one of the most common Pokemon in the metagame, Amoonguss.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash is generally the preferred item to help Terrakion avoid getting OHKOed by one of Terrakion's many weaknesses, but Life Orb provides the power to muscle through the opponent. The choice of nature is one between power and Speed, but an Adamant nature should only be used if you have Tailwind support to compensate for the lower Speed. The EV spread is fairly straightforward, focusing on getting as much power and Speed as possible, while 4 Defense EVs allows Terrakion to always survive Tornadus' Flight Gem-boosted Acrobatics.</p>

<p>Anything that can set up Tailwind is a boon to Terrakion, making Pokemon such as Whimsicott and Tornadus good teammates. Whimsicott can also be used with a Choice Scarf for a Beat Up combo, raising Terrakion's Attack up to four stages in one turn and making it deadly in an instant. Hydreigon, Landorus, and Thundurus are also good candidates to partner with Terrakion, allowing it to unleash powerful Earthquakes without the fear of hurting its partner. Musharna is good for taking down other Fighting-types and removing Trick Room if it gets set up. Musharna can also boost Terrakion's moves with Helping Hand.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Quick Attack
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Close Combat and Rock Slide are used once again for dual STABs, with the last two moves for coverage. Earthquake can be used if you don't like being locked into Quick Attack, but Quick Attack is a good option in the late-game. X-Scissor can deal heavy damage to Musharna and Reuniclus. Sacred Sword is an option here if the drop to Terrakion's defenses each time it uses Close Combat is worrisome, but this set is more about power and Speed than longevity.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The item choice is largely dependent on your team. On many teams, Terrakion would need a Choice Scarf as it has no other way of boosting its Speed (outside of Rock Polish, but that's generally not recommended in VGC). An Adamant nature should be used with Choice Scarf. However, if you have Tailwind support, a Choice Band and an Adamant nature are appropriate. Jolly should only be used if you are concerned about tying with other Terrakion. The EV spread maximizes Attack and Speed while the 4 Defense EVs allow it to take Tornadus' Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sacred Sword is an option here if the drop to Terrakion's defenses each time it uses Close Combat is worrisome. Sacred Sword also ignores defensive boosts, so Pokemon setting up with Bulk Up will take the full force of the blow. Generally, Close Combat is preferred because of its much superior power. Stone Edge could always be used over Rock Slide, but it misses more frequently and only hits one foe. If Conkeldurr is specifically a major concern Chople Berry can be used. X-Scissor is an option to deal super effective damage to Psychic-types such as Reuniclus, but it won't usually OHKO, and Terrakion will get OHKOed by Psychic in return. Safeguard could be useful when Terrakion is a lead, keeping Amoonguss and its 100% accurate Spore at bay. Helping Hand, while somewhat of a novelty on Terrakion, lets Terrakion boost its partner's attack.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Jellicent stops Terrakion in its tracks, as, without a boost, Terrakion is unable to hurt it significantly with Rock Slide. Golurk resists both of Terrakion's STAB attacks, and can hit back hard with STAB Earthquake. Strong Fighting-type Pokemon such as Conkledurr and Chople Berry Scrafty can take a hit and KO back. Anything with Earthquake that can outspeed Terrakion can usually take it down. If Trick Room is in effect, Musharna or Reuniclus can outspeed Terrakion and OHKO with STAB Psychic. Terrakion can't hurt Amoongus, while Amoongus can take a Rock Slide, put Terrakion to sleep with Spore, and then follow up with Giga Drain.</p>

Rock Slide is stronger than Earthquake so completely get rid of that mention especially seeing that they get similar coverage. Also mention Safeguard as an option because from my experience is that it is one of the better moves for Terrakion. I would also change the item choices as Chople Berry / Focus Sash and mention Life Orb in the additional comments.

Beyond that, nice analysis!

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I think Earthquake is perfectly fine there. There's always going to be situations when you need to hit both Pokemon and absolutely cannot afford a Rock Slide miss.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
I've found that Musharna is a good teammate for Terrakion, as it can handle the Fighting type Pokemon that threaten the bull. Amoonguss is another hard stop to Terrakion, and Musharna takes care of it too. It can also Helping Hand Terrakion's attacks or reverse Trick Room if needed.

By the way, order of EVs is: HP / Atk / Def / Spa / Spd / Spe ◕‿◕

JRank

Jonny
I've found that Musharna is a good teammate for Terrakion, as it can handle the Fighting type Pokemon that threaten the bull. Amoonguss is another hard stop to Terrakion, and Musharna takes care of it too. It can also Helping Hand Terrakion's attacks or reverse Trick Room if needed.

By the way, order of EVs is: HP / Atk / Def / Spa / Spd / Spe ◕‿◕
Ok, I'll get that. An I agree with Huy, I've used it several times and Earthquake'd instead of Rock Sliding to avoid a miss.

Ah, completely forgot about how shaky Rock Slide's accuracy was, the problem I was seeing though was how it either forces you to protect that turn or have an immunity to your Earthquake which is not my favorite thing to do, but you mentioned that in your analysis, I think that you should mention that as the benefit of using Earthquake, say something along the lines of "while Earthquake does not offer much extra coverage, it is reliable for hitting both of their pokemon, especially when you can not afford a Rock Slide miss."

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm meh on chople, put it behind lo.

Mention Rock Jewel, it can be pretty effective.

Also I'd just not slash Sacred Sword and leave it at CC with Sword in OC.

Provide an idea of how much X-Scissor will do to Musharana and Reunclus, dont just say it will take it out.

Other than that QC Approved 1/2

What about a Swords Dance set
Like....
{Set}
Name: Swords Dance
Move 1: Rock Slide
Move 2: Earthquake / Close Combat
Move 3: Swords Dance
Move 4: Protect / Close Combat
Nature: Jolly
Item: (Dont actually have an idea here)
EVs: 4Hp/ 252 Attack/ 252 Speed

The nature and EV combo gives it max speed to outspeed many threats. Then Swords Dance doubles the attack to a pretty respectable level. Rock Slide is obvious STAB with shakey accuracy. Close Combat or Earthquake can also each be used. Close Combat offers STAB but really hurts the defense. Earthquake has a lot of power and is Super Effective on Excadrill once you pop the common Balloon. Then Protect is also an option because since the tournments are double you can pair it with Excadrill so they each benifit from the Sandstorm that's guaranteed for all Excadrills (1.5x Sp. Defence kinda helps) and it wont be killed by a super effective hit from its own teammate.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Excadrill never uses Air Balloon, and Sacred Sword OHKOs Excadrill anyway. Tyranitar and Hippowdon are not allowed in VGC 2011, so sandstorm certainly isn't guaranteed. While Swords Dance is certainly possible, with Terrakion's weakness to the common Fighting- and Psychic-type moves in Unova, and especially a weakness to Mach Punch, it won't be staying around too long.

EDIT: Damn wasted my 700th post.

Excadrill does use air balloon. Most things use Earthquake and that rips it apart. Landorus is used as sandstorm set up usually. Though it usually just adds to the weaknesses a team like that would have

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
I misunderstood your post, and I apologize for that. But the point still stands that Terrakion is a lot better off just attacking the opponent rather than setting up; it's still outsped and OHKOed by the genies, and a large part of why it's so formidable is its ability to pose an immediate threat. Setting up allows the opposing team to attack it or setup their own field effect, leading to its death the following turn due to its multitude of weaknesses.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would give Safeguard a mention at least in OC. Leading with Terrakion I will always run Safeguard in one of the 3rd or 4th slots if it's partner doesn't have a way to deal with Amoongus. It's fantastic utility and in a meta where one of the most used Pokemon running rampant with a 100% accurate sleep move, it needs a mention whenever it's available.

I'm also meh on Chople. I'd much rather run a Focus Sash and have some insurance against Scarf Water Spouts, Acrobats... Terrakion is cursed with some rather unfortunate weaknesses other than fighting that can and will OHKO it.

Other than that, you're good to go with Alaka's changes added in.

Pre-emptive QC Approved 2/2

JRank

Jonny
I would give Safeguard a mention at least in OC. Leading with Terrakion I will always run Safeguard in one of the 3rd or 4th slots if it's partner doesn't have a way to deal with Amoongus. It's fantastic utility and in a meta where one of the most used Pokemon running rampant with a 100% accurate sleep move, it needs a mention whenever it's available.

I'm also meh on Chople. I'd much rather run a Focus Sash and have some insurance against Scarf Water Spouts, Acrobats... Terrakion is cursed with some rather unfortunate weaknesses other than fighting that can and will OHKO it.

Other than that, you're good to go with Alaka's changes added in.

Pre-emptive QC Approved 2/2
I'm meh on chople, put it behind lo.

Mention Rock Jewel, it can be pretty effective.

Also I'd just not slash Sacred Sword and leave it at CC with Sword in OC.

Provide an idea of how much X-Scissor will do to Musharana and Reunclus, dont just say it will take it out.

Other than that QC Approved 1/2
I'll edit these in as soon as I get back on a computer.

I still think that Swords Dance still deserves at least an OC mention. I mean I get that the oppritunity is not always good but if you have a chance to Swords Dance and use it it would help in the long run.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
What would it help to KO specifically? It's still losing to any Psychic-type, Ghost-type, or Amoonguss, and still loses to the genies and all of the things that outspeed it. It still doesn't take out Landorus, even at +2, with Rock Slide, while Landorus OHKOs it with Earthquake. On almost anything else, Swords Dance should at least be mentioned, but Terrakion's multitude of weaknesses, Speed that loses out to the genies, and lack of any real benefit with a boost means it's really pointless. Terrakion's threat lies in its ability to deal a large amount of immediate damage, and without that, it's far less of a threat.

That's not mentioning that while Terrakion boosts, the opponent can setup whatever field effect it wants, and due to its multitude of weaknesses, it's far better off attacking immediately rather than Swords Dancing.

What would it be able to take out with Swords Dance that it couldn't before, anyway?

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd make a suggestion of running around 40 Def EVs as it provides insurance against Tornadus (if not using Focus Sash, which deserves a mention in the additional comments). Jolly Tornadus Acrobatics w/ Flying Gem won't KO you if you invest this much in Defence, it's proved very useful for me. I've been running a fairly odd set myself, though, and don't use any of the items listed in this analysis. However, I'd say Life Orb should be listed before Chople Berry.

I also agree on no Swords Dance. While the Beat Up Whimsicott + Terrakion is a bit predictable already, the extra Atk boosts you can gain this way make it more worthwhile (so long as Whimsicott is supporting your whole team and not just Terrakion). As well as (usually) more Atk boosts, it also gives you an extra move-slot without having to Swords Dance.

Basically tl;dr, use Beat Up Whimsicott if you want Atk boosts on Terrakion in VGC.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Actually, I have Tornadus's Flight Jewel Acrobatics maxing out at 100.6% against a 4 HP spread, with only an extra 2.4% chance to KO over a 20 HP spread, which always survives.

Please remember to use English names for Pokemon. I noticed more than a few of the Japanese names in the writeup, such as Burungeru.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Change
Delete

Terrakion

[Overview]

<p>Terrakion is a staple for many goodstuffs teams with its high Attack and Speed. However, having several weaknesses to some of the most common attacking types in VGC, it suffers a little leaves it with its own challenges. With the right support and his behind its nearly unresisted STAB combination, Terrakion is a very deadly foe to your opponent.</p>

[SET]
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a goodstuffs or Tailwind set a set built to be used with Tailwind support, designed to deal damage right off the bat. Close Combat and Rock Slide are for dual STABs, which are only resisted by Golurk in VGC 2011. Quick Attack finishes off weakened foes. Protect can be used to stall out Trick Room, or avoid an attack while your partner attacks and KOs the threat. Quick Guard stops Fake Outs and Mach Punches, which can help Terrakion stay alive and allow a partner to set up Tailwind or boost Terrakion's attack with Beat Up. Safeguard blocks Spores from one of the most common Pokemon in VGC 11, Amoonguss.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash is generally the preferred item to help Terrakion not get avoid getting OHKOed by one of Terrakion's its many weaknesses, but Life Orb provides the power to muscle through things. The choice of nature is one of power or Speed, but Adamant should only be used if you have Tailwind support so as not to lose any Speed to compensate for lower Speed. The EV spread is fairly straightforward, focusing on getting as much power and speed as possible.</p>

<p>Anything that can set up Tailwind is a boon to Terrakion, and so making Pokemon such as Whimsicott and Tornadus are good teammates. Whimsicott can also be used alongside with a Choice Scarf for a Beat Up combo, raising Terrakion's Attack up to four stages in one turn, turning it into a frightening offensive force. and turning it deadly in an instant. Hydreigon, Landorus, and Thundurus are also a good candidates to partner for with Terrakion, so it can allowing it to unleash powerful Earthquakes without fear of hurting its partner. Musharna is good for taking down other Fighting-types and resetting Trick Room if it gets set up. Musharna can also boost Terrakion's moves with Helping Hand.</p>

[SET]
evs: 252 Atk / 44 Def / 212 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Close Combat and Rock Slide are used once again for dual STABs, with the last two moves for coverage. Use Earthquake if you don't like being locked into Quick Attack, but late-game Quick Attack is a good option. X-Scissor can take out Musharna and Reuniclus. Sacred Sword is an option here if you don't like being hit with that -2 drop to both defense every time you use Close Combat, but the Choice set is more about power and speed than longevity.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>What item to use depends largely The item choice is largely dependent on your team on what team you are running. On a goodstuffs team many teams Terrakion would need a Choice Scarf as it has no other way of boosting its Speed. (outside of Rock Polish, but that's generally not recommended in VGC). For this, an Adamant nature would be used with Choice Scarf. However, if you have Tailwind support, a Choice Band and an Adamant nature are appropriate. Jolly should only be used if you are concerned with outspeeding/Speed tying other Terrakions. The EV spread maximizes Attack and Speed while the 40 Defense EVs allow it to take a Tornadus' Flying Gem Acrobatics.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sacred Sword is an option over Close Combat, if you don't like the defense drops of from Close Combat. Sacred Sword also hits through any stat-ups ignores defensive boosts, so Bulk Up Pokemon are hit hard taking the full force of the blow. However Generally, Close Combat is usually preferred because of its much superior power. Stone Edge could always be used over Rock Slide, but it misses more frequently and only hits one foe. Quick Guard is useful for stopping Mach Punchers users like Conkledurr Conkeldurr in its their tracks., but if If Conkledurr specifically is such a major concern, Chople Berry can be used. X-Scissor is an option to deal super effective damage to Psychic-types such as Reuniclus, but it won't usually OHKO and you're getting OHKOed by Psychic in return.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Jellicent stops Terrakion in its tracks, as without a boost Terrakion is unable to hurt it much with Rock Slide. Golurk resists both of Terrakion's STABs and its auxiliary moves, and can hit back hard with a STAB Earthquake. Strong fighting Pokemon such as Conkledurr and Chople Berry Scrafty can take a hit and KO back. Anything that can outspeed and Earthquake can usually take it down. If Trick Room is up, Musharna or Reuniclus can OHKO Terrakion with a STAB Psychic. Terrakion can't hurt Amoongus, while Amoongus can take a Rock Slide, put Terrakion to sleep with and Spore, and then follow up with Giga Drain.</p>

1/2

[Overview]

<p>Terrakion is a staple for many teams with its high Attack and Speed. However, having several weaknesses to some of the most common attacking types in VGC leaves it with its own challenges. With the right support behind its nearly unresisted STAB combination, Terrakion is a very deadly foe to your opponent.</p>

[SET]
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is a set built to be used with Tailwind support, designed to deal damage right off the bat. Close Combat and Rock Slide are for dual STABs, which are only resisted by Golurk in VGC 2011. Quick Attack finishes off weakened foes. Protect can be used to stall out Trick Room or avoid an attack while your partner attacks and KOs the threat. Quick Guard stops Fake Outs and Mach Punches, which can help Terrakion stay alive and allow a partner to set up Tailwind or boost Terrakion's attack with Beat Up. Safeguard blocks Spores from one of the most common Pokemon in VGC 11, Amoonguss.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash is generally the preferred item to help Terrakion avoid getting OHKOed by one of Terrakion's many weaknesses, but Life Orb provides the power to muscle through things. The choice of nature is one of power or Speed, but Adamant should only be used if you have Tailwind support to compensate for the lower Speed. The EV spread is fairly straightforward, focusing on getting as much power and speed as possible.</p>

<p>Anything that can set up Tailwind is a boon to Terrakion, making Pokemon such as Whimsicott and Tornadus good teammates. Whimsicott can also be used with a Choice Scarf for a Beat Up combo, raising Terrakion's Attack up to four stages in one turn and turning it deadly in an instant. Hydreigon, Landorus, and Thundurus are also good candidates to partner with Terrakion, allowing it to unleash powerful Earthquakes without fear of hurting its partner. Musharna is good for taking down other Fighting types and resetting Trick Room if it gets set up. Musharna can also boost Terrakion's moves with Helping Hand.</p>

[SET]
evs: 252 Atk / 44 Def / 212 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Close Combat and Rock Slide are used once again for dual STABs, with the last two moves for coverage. Use Earthquake if you don't like being locked into Quick Attack, but late-game Quick Attack is a good option. X-Scissor can take out Musharna and Reuniclus. Sacred Sword is an option here if you don't like being hit with that drop to both defense every time you use Close Combat, but the Choice set is more about power and speed than longevity.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The item choice is largely dependent on your team. On many teams, Terrakion would need a Choice Scarf as it has no other way of boosting its Speed (outside of Rock Polish, but that's generally not recommended in VGC). Adamant nature would be used with Choice Scarf. However, if you have Tailwind support, a Choice Band and an Adamant nature are appropriate. Jolly should only be used if you are concerned with Speed tying other Terrakion. The EV spread maximizes Attack and Speed while the 40 Defense EVs allow it to take a Tornadus' Flying Gem Acrobatics.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sacred Sword is an option over Close Combat,(make sure you actually get rid of this comma when putting this check in) if you don't like the defense drops from Close Combat. Sacred Sword also ignores defensive boosts, so Bulk Up Pokemon are taking the full force of the blow. Generally, Close Combat is preferred because of its much superior power. Stone Edge could always be used over Rock Slide, but it misses more frequently and only hits one foe. Quick Guard is useful for stopping Mach Punch users like Conkeldurr in their tracks. If Conkeldurr specifically is a major concern,( Comma) Chople Berry can be used. X-Scissor is an option to deal super effective damage to Psychic types such as Reuniclus, but it won't usually OHKO and you're Terrakion's getting OHKOed by Psychic in return.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Jellicent stops Terrakion in its tracks, as without a boost,(Comma) Terrakion is unable to hurt it much with Rock Slide. Golurk resists both of Terrakion's STABs and its auxiliary moves, and can hit back hard with a STAB Earthquake. Strong fighting Pokemon such as Conkledurr and Chople Berry Scrafty can take a hit and KO back. Anything that can outspeed and Earthquake can usually take it down. If Trick Room is up, Musharna or Reuniclus can OHKO Terrakion with a( please get rid of this, Chou wanted it gone too, and I trust his judgement and mine on it) STAB Psychic. Terrakion can't hurt Amoongus, while Amoongus can take a Rock Slide, put Terrakion to sleep with Spore, and then follow up with Giga Drain.</p>
Go Away
Come Here
( Comments)

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, yeah, 8 Def allows you to survive Tornadus' Flying Gem Acrobatics 100% of the time, might be worth a mention (I was wrong on needing so much Def).

Chople Berry is mentioned here, but it's an item that you cannot get in Black & White at the moment as far as I'm aware, it should be removed until you can get it. People on PO shouldn't be using it on anything, either.

All of the resist berries are available on the Dream World. I just need to get my hands on them already. Main focus of mine right now is RNG things to trade for them and possibly Sychronizers so I can RNG more things for myself!

Good analysis JRank. I do think that Helping Hand and Safeguard deserve mentions in Other Options though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)