move 2: Swords Dance
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Rock Gem / Life Orb
ability: Justified
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Besides Gliscor, Slowbro, and a few obscure counters that struggle to reach even 2% usage in OU, the only way to deal with Terrakion is through status or revenge killing. Now, imagine if it had a way to get around status users and revenge killers — that would be a sight to behold wouldn't it? If this behemoth managed to set up, the opponent would surely be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Well, why are you still imagining? Substitute+Swords Dance Terrakion does just that! With Substitute, the terracotta warrior can now block those ever so annoying Thunder Waves, Will-O-Wisps, and Toxics. Furthermore, Substitute acts as a buffer against annoying revenge killers, such as Alakazam and Starmie, who now must waste a turn breaking the Substitute, and are destroyed by a powerful STAB move in return. Most importantly, though, Terrakion is cushioned from priority moves, such as Scizor's Bullet Punch, and with its newly found fly swatter, can crush the red bug in cold blood.</p>

<p>While Substitute is certainly the distinguishing move on this set, it is important to note that without Terrakion's fantastic stats, movepool, and offensive typing, this set wouldn't be nearly as effective. Swords Dance skyrockets Terrakion's Attack to terrifying levels. Even Gliscor and Slowbro must think twice about coming in, because if they are damaged prior to the encounter, a +2 Stone Edge can still break through. Its Fighting- and Rock-type STAB combination provides fantastic coverage, resisted only by a select few lower tier Pokemon. Close Combat is Arceus's gift to Fighting-types; backed by the Rock musketeer's immense power, it is one of the most fearsome moves in the metagame. Stone Edge rounds off this brute's set, allowing it to barbarically tear apart opposing teams.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Attack and Speed investment further oil this killing machine. A Jolly nature is preferred to Speed-tie opposing base 108 Pokemon; with Substitute protecting Terrakion from potential revenge killers, you may fall to temptation and use an Adamant nature, but keep in mind that the longer you can preserve that Substitute, the more time you have to dismember your opponent's Pokemon. The extra power would certainly make Terrakion an even more formidable attacker, but being outsped by base 100 Pokemon is a real turn off. 4 Defense EVs rather than 4 HP EVs seems trivial at first, but 4 HP EVs give Terrakion 324 HP, which only allows it to make three Substitutes. You never know when a fourth Substitute can come in handy.</p>

<p>Rock Gem is the primary item, as it allows a boosted Terrakion to OHKO Gliscor with Stone Edge, and also allows you to feign a Choice item early on. Alternatively, a Life Orb can be used to bluff a Double Dancer set, although Substitute and Life Orb recoil could build up very quickly. If you use Substitute conservatively though, this set will still serve you well. Leftovers can be used, although the element of surprise is key for this set, and Leftovers is a dead giveaway that you're running Substitute. In any case, Terrakion is so powerful that it could probably pull its weight even without an item, so don't fret too much about the choice of item.</p>

<p>This set is incredibly self sufficient, and doesn't need much in terms of support. However, it would be wise to pair it with another powerful physical attacker, such as Landorus or Lucario, to form a one-two punch. Wish support can come in handy, especially if using Life Orb, as Terrakion will often wear itself out with Substitute. Chansey and Blissey are ideal candidates, as they can also check troublesome Psychic-types, such as Starmie and Alakazam. Do keep in mind that Terrakion remains helpless against the likes of Scizor when not behind a Substitute, so Magnezone can be used to dismantle it. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Slowbro and Reuniclus, are swiftly eliminated by Scizor and Tyranitar. Tyranitar also happens to summon permanent Sandstorm, which gives Terrakion a nice 50% Special Defense boost. Finally, the only Pokemon that can put a full stop to this set are obscure threats, such as Golurk, Nidoqueen, and Claydol. As laughable as these Pokemon may seem, it would be a catastrophe if your Terrakion sweep fell short because of them. It would be wise to carry a powerful Water-type, such as Gyarados, Starmie, or Rotom-W, to clear the ruffian's path.</p>

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, this is a great set. Life Orb definitely deserves a slash, imo. It just makes Terrakion a powerhouse. LO Close Combat / Stone Edge kills so many things even without Swords Dance boost. Rock Gem Terrakion makes it more of a one-time Sweeper, imo. In the contrary, LO Terrakion is more of a hit-and-run mon that can take out 1 or 2 Pokemon each time it comes out. Substitute should be used sparingly (ie when their physical walls are weakened). SR + Spikes support is particularly helpful on Terrakion, since all it needs is little residual damage to get past physical walls.

When I think of Terrakion the first thing I think of as a counter is Scizor (which was the most used pokemon in OU in December being on about 30.2% of OU team so roughly one out of three teams carry the ultimate counter to this Pokemon. I know that you can use Magnezone but in all honesty Magnezone is a HORRIBLE pokemon and is kind of a waste of a slot in my opinion. I know that you had the VERY successful Ninetails set but I don't see this one being succsessful mainly because of scizor. ( I really do not want to have a wilmer007 incident again I'm just giving my opinion.)

@ cosbykid

Hence substitute; most scizor are choice locked, so if you sub on the switch, you get a free hit on a mon who is likely a cornerstone on your opponents team. This is why life orb should be the primary slash; I'd imagine a life orb cc would do a number on a scizor thinking that it's going to have its way with your-now-sub protected terrakion

edit: I also just reread your post, and "Magnezone is a HORRIBLE pokemon/wasted slot" yadayada...really?
Magnezone, serves as perhaps the easiest way to eliminate both Ferrothorn and Scizor, two of the most used pokemon in the game (in addition to many other pokemon of the incredibly popular/effective steel type) I know this wasn't the point of your post, but I couldn't let a statement like that stand

@ cosbykid

Hence substitute; most scizor are choice locked, so if you sub on the switch, you get a free hit on a mon who is likely a cornerstone on your opponents team. This is why life orb should be the primary slash; I'd imagine a life orb cc would do a number on a scizor thinking that it's going to have its way with your-now-sub protected terrakion
This set reminds me of the Sub Gyarados but without the speed boosting. If scizor can catch you without the sub (which it usualy will) then BP will always be a OHKO or LO BP does 94%-111%. The reason that I believe scizor will always catch you w/o a sub is generally a 'good' trainer will recognize what he is doing and realize the only way to kill him is to catch him with scizor w/o a sub so they will probably sack a faster sweeper like starmie or a Choice scarfer to get rid of the sub and then come in with Scizor. That is why I don't really like this set.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I seen firsthand what this set can do (got wrecked by it on the ladder) so this analysis gets an easy

QC APPROVED (1/3)

(Make sure to slash Life Orb!)

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This set reminds me of the Sub Gyarados but without the speed boosting. If scizor can catch you without the sub (which it usualy will) then BP will always be a OHKO or LO BP does 94%-111%. The reason that I believe scizor will always catch you w/o a sub is generally a 'good' trainer will recognize what he is doing and realize the only way to kill him is to catch him with scizor w/o a sub so they will probably sack a faster sweeper like starmie or a Choice scarfer to get rid of the sub and then come in with Scizor. That is why I don't really like this set.
The thing is, the other Terrakion sets have a 0% chance of beating Scizor if it gets in for free. This set at least has a chance of doing so. Not 0% chance to win is better than 0% chance to win. Lol, Wilmer007.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you play your cards right, Substitute allows Terrakion to kill one more Pokemon before being forced out by Scizor's Bullet Punch / other revenge killer. This set owns more than the Double Booster, imo.

I see your point, and even if they sack their scarfer terrakion would have done its job and atleast taken out that Pokemon. I do see some potential in this set as I think this is a great late game sweeper as it only involves one turn of set up because of Terrakions great speed. If you play your cards right and can avoid scizor then I think this will be an amazing set. Great idea.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I seen NWO recommend this set to players before and such, and I went and built a team around this Sub SD Terrakion. Let me say, Terrakion is boss. Since everyone runs choiced, they assume you are, and you can force switches so easily! By subbing on the switch, all of a sudden Scizor is cockfucked by a CC after breaking the sub, and this set just works. Non one see's it comming, and, it gains the ability to set up on walls that think they can live a blow and T-Wave your ass, which is awesome.

Gliscor, Skarmory, Bronzong just kind of beat this set though. The lack of X-Scissor is painful. Which is why I wanted to add something. I think that X-Scissor over SD might work, as, its hard to get a SD boost even in a sub, and its rare you can get one, and your lucky to get a sub up. Which is why SD/X-Scissor might be suitable, it does lose a lot of power, so LO would be mandatory. It would help hit Celebi/Latios/Latias after getting the sub up, and its already so powerful with LO, so I think it could work. SD is awesome tough [thats why we do this: Swords Dance/X-Scissor]

This Terrakion is boss, just saying

Hazard support/Wish support is just awesome with Terrakion. Just want to point out SkarmBliss does all of this, Blissey being one hell of a wish passer. Wish + Substitute + LO is just powerful, don't fuck with it

i dont see how x scissor is so precious and useful. i mean, stone edge is just as poweful on the latis and its only helpful on celebi

in my opinion you should also slash in leftovers since this set can get screwed up if you dont have recovery.and ik.....+2 stone edge+rock gem won KO gliscor,but if your behind a sub you can 2KO it and atleast you dont lose your item and have recovery :D....i used that set before you posted it and its true...after a SD and if your behind a sub this thing makes wonders.....it KO standard vaporeon along with standard scizor after a SD and many other pokes with the addition of having recovery..and also you should mention that you need rocks damage to have a 100% KO chance on gliscor with the rock gem since even with the rock gem and +2 doesnt always KOs gliscor (only has a 31.25% chance to OHKO)

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i dont see how x scissor is so precious and useful. i mean, stone edge is just as poweful on the latis and its only helpful on celebi
A STAB Stone Edge has 150 base power, while a supereffective X-Scissor has 160 base power, so not quite as powerful. The main reason you miss X-Scissor is against Pokemon like Reuniclus and Slowbro, where a Stone Edge miss could cost you the game.

This set isn't going to replace the Double Booster, is it? I believe that set still has its merits.

[SET]
name: Sub SDstitute + Swords Dance
move 1: Substitute

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Besides Gliscor, Slowbro, and a few obscure counters that struggle to reach even 2% usage in OU, the only way to deal with Terrakion is through status or revenge killing. Now, imagine if it had a way to get around status users and revenge killers, that would be a sight to behold, wouldn't it? If thate behemoth managed to set up, the opponent would surely be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Well, why are you still imagining? SubSDstitute + Swords Dance Terrakion does just that! With Substitute, the terracotta warrior can now block those ever so annoying Thunder Waves, Will-O-Wisps, and Toxics. Furthermore, Substitute acts as a buffer against annoying revenge killers, such as Alakazam and Starmie, who now must waste a turn breaking the Substitute, and are destroyed by a powerful STAB move in return. Most importantly, though, Terrakion is cushioned from priority moves, such as Scizor's Bullet Punch, and with its new found one word fly swatter, can crush the red bug in cold blood.</p>

<p>While Substitute is certainly the distinguishing move on this set, it is important to note that without Terrakion's fantastic stats, movepool, and offensive typing, this set wouldn't be nearly as effective. Swords Dance skyrockets Terrakion's Attack to terrifying levels. Even Gliscor and Slowbro must think twice about coming in, because if they are damaged prior to the encounter, a +2 Stone Edge can still break through. Its Fighting- and Rock-type STAB combination provides fantastic coverage, resisted only by a select few lower tier Pokemon. Close Combat is Arceus's gift to Fighting-types; backed by the Rock musketeer's immense power, it is one of the most fearsome moves in the metagame. Stone Edge rounds off this brute's set, allowing it to barbarically tear apart opposing teams.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Attack and Speed investment further oil this killing machine. A Jolly nature is preferred to Speed-tie opposing base 108 Pokemon; with Substitute protecting Terrakion from potential revenge killers, you may fall to temptation and use an Adamant nature, but keep in mind that the longer you can preserve that Substitute, the more time you have to dismember your opponent's Pokemon. The extra power would certainly make Terrakion an even more formidable attacker, but being outsped by base 100 Pokemon is a real turn -off. 4 Def EVs rather than 4 HP EVs seems trivial at first. However; however (optional), 4 HP EVs give Terrakion 324 HP, which only allows it to make three Substitutes. You never know when a fourth Substitute can come in handy.</p>

<p>Rock Gem is the primary item, as it allows +2 Terrakion (or "a boosted Terrakion"?) to OHKO Gliscor with Stone Edge, and also allows you to feign a Choice item early on. Alternatively, a Life Orb can be used to bluff a Double Dancer set, although Substitute and Life Orb recoil could build up very quickly. If you use Substitute conservatively though, this set will still serve you well. Leftovers can be used, although the element of surprise is key for this set, and Leftovers is a dead giveaway that you're running Substitute. In any case, Terrakion is so powerful that it could probably pull its weight even without an item, so don't fret too much about the choice of item.</p>

<p>This set is incredibly self -sufficient, and doesn't need much in terms of support. However, it would be wise to pair it with another powerful physical attacker, such as Landorus or Lucario, to form a one-two punch. Wish support can come in handy, especially if using Life Orb, as Terrakion will often wear itself out with Substitute. Chansey and Blissey are ideal candidates, as they can also check troublesome Psychic-types, such as Starmie and Alakazam. Do keep in mind that Terrakion remains helpless against the likes of Scizor when not behind a Substitute. Magnezone is great for dismantling Scizor. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Slowbro and Reuniclus, are swiftly eliminated by Scizor and Tyranitar. Tyranitar also happens to summon permanent Sandstorm, which gives Terrakion a nice 50% Special Defense boost. Finally, the only Pokemon that can put a full stop to this set are obscure threats, such as Golurk, Nidoqueen, and Claydol. As laughable as these Pokemon may seem, it would be a catastrophe if your Terrakion sweep fell short because of them. It would be wise to carry a powerful Water-type, such as Gyarados, Starmie, or Rotom-W, to clear the ruffian's path.</p>

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amateur GP check
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[SET]
name: Substitute+Swords Dance
move 1: Substitute

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Besides Gliscor, Slowbro, and a few obscure counters that struggle to reach even 2% usage in OU, the only way to deal with Terrakion is through status or revenge killing. Now, imagine if it had a way to get around status users and revenge killers — that would be a sight to behold wouldn't it? If this behemoth managed to set up, the opponent would surely be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Well, why are you still imagining? Substitue+Swords Dance Terrakion does just that! With Substitute, the terracotta warrior can now block those ever so annoying Thunder Waves, Will-O-Wisps, and Toxics. Furthermore, Substitute acts as a buffer against annoying revenge killers, such as Alakazam and Starmie, who now must waste a turn breaking the Substitute, and are destroyed by a powerful STAB move in return. Most importantly, though, Terrakion is cushioned from priority moves, such as Scizor's Bullet Punch, and with its new found fly swatter, can crush the red bug in cold blood.</p>

<p>While Substitute is certainly the distinguishing move on this set, it is important to note that without Terrakion's fantastic stats, movepool, and offensive typing, this set wouldn't be nearly as effective. Swords Dance skyrockets Terrakion's Attack to terrifying levels. Even Gliscor and Slowbro must think twice about coming in, because if they are damaged prior to the encounter, a +2 Stone Edge can still break through. Its Fighting- and Rock-type STAB combination provides fantastic coverage, resisted only by a select few lower tier Pokemon. Close Combat is Arceus's gift to Fighting-types; backed by the rock musketeer's immense power, it is one of the most fearsome moves in the metagame. Stone Edge rounds off this brute's set, allowing it to barbarically tear apart opposing teams.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Attack and Speed investment further oil this killing machine. A Jolly nature is preferred to Speed tie opposing base 108 Pokemon; with Substitute protecting Terrakion from potential revenge killers, you may fall to temptation and use an Adamant nature, but keep in mind that the longer you can preserve that Substitute, the more time you have to dismember your opponent's Pokemon. The extra power would certainly make Terrakion an even more formidable attacker, but being outsped by base 100 Pokemon is a real turn off. 4 Defense EVs rather than 4 HP EVs seems trivial at first, but 4 HP EVs give Terrakion 324 HP, which only allows it to make three Substitutes. You never know when a fourth Substitute can come in handy.</p>

<p>Rock Gem is the primary item, as it allows a boosted Terrakion to OHKO Gliscor with Stone Edge, and also allows you to feign a Choice item early on. Alternatively, a Life Orb can be used to bluff a Double Dancer set, although Substitute and Life Orb recoil could build up very quickly. If you use Substitute conservatively though, this set will still serve you well. Leftovers can be used, although the element of surprise is key for this set, and Leftovers is a dead giveaway that you're running Substitute. In any case, Terrakion is so powerful that it could probably pull its weight even without an item, so don't fret too much about the choice of item.</p>

<p>This set is incredibly self sufficient, and doesn't need much in terms of support. However, it would be wise to pair it with another powerful physical attacker, such as Landorus or Lucario, to form a one-two punch. Wish support can come in handy, especially if using Life Orb, as Terrakion will often wear itself out with Substitute. Chansey and Blissey are ideal candidates, as they can also check troublesome Psychic-types, such as Starmie and Alakazam. Do keep in mind that Terrakion remains helpless against the likes of Scizor when not behind a Substitute, so Magnezone can be used to dismantle it. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Slowbro and Reuniclus, are swiftly eliminated by Scizor and Tyranitar. Tyranitar also happens to summon permanent Sandstorm, which gives Terrakion a nice 50% Special Defense boost. Finally, the only Pokemon that can put a full stop to this set are obscure threats, such as Golurk, Nidoqueen, and Claydol. As laughable as these Pokemon may seem, it would be a catastrophe if your Terrakion sweep fell short because of them. It would be wise to carry a powerful Water-type, such as Gyarados, Starmie, or Rotom-W, to clear the ruffian's path.</p>

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

w/e, I'm lazy, I'll just stamp that 2/2

Terrakion is so strong that it lets me abuse my GP status. It has charged its way to done status.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Substitute+Swords Dance Terrakion does just that! ... Most importantly, though, Terrakion is cushioned from priority moves, such as Scizor's Bullet Punch, and with its newly found fly swatter, can crush the red bug in cold blood.</p>
skimmed through this and saw those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)