1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

That’s my Latias!

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Drizzlekicks, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Drizzlekicks

Drizzlekicks

Introduction:
    At about 6am in the morning I realised that Breloom got technician. So I decided to make a team around a choice banded variant. I started off by pairing him with Latias because Breloom and Latias have good offensive and defensive synergy. (bare in mind this is my first RMT)

At a glance:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Breloom:
    [​IMG]
    Show Hide
    Previous set:
    Breloom @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch
    - Low Sweep
    - Stone Edge

Why: CB Loom doesn't have to set up it's just a quick fire way of hitting things hard. Loom has excellent dual stab coverage and has access to stone edge to fill the gaps. so even though Stone Edge isn't affected by technician it still does a large chunk to Pokemon like Bulky (252 HP) Dragonite (after SR) 88%-104%.
    I thought about it long and hard and realised that with a choice band I was just limiting myself and forcing myself to hardswitch when things could resist the attack I was locked into.

So I decided to opt for a different set (credit to Bowlcut for this set)

Breloom @ Fighting Gem
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Spore

Weaknesses: Fire, Psychic, Ice, Flying
    Synergy: Rotom-h, Sharp, Latias, Forre

Reasons behind this set: With a Fighting Gem you can bluff the choice item (not for long but it’s possible) , Swords dance is just so much of a better idea in the long run compared to choice band and it also allows one of Loom’s niche move Spore to be abused. Mach punch is priority that is boosted by technician which does even more powered by the Fighting Gem for a once time use to get a quick KO on things like TTar/Abomasnow. Its other stab is also powered by technician and is a multi hitting move hitting from 2-5 times which means it has capabilities to break subs of bulky water types such as Politoad and in a metagame dominated by weather it does a decent job being able to take out ¾ main weather inducers. or even a Gliscor (252 HP/ 184 Def) :

The only real downside to this set is it can’t deal with things that resist both stabs like Dnite. Which is where the rest of my team comes into play.

Latias:
    [​IMG]
    Show Hide
    Previous set:
    Latias (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Reflect
    - Roost

Why: A lot of people made some import into this set, I was told that TTar and Scizor would destory me if I didn't have Reflect and Ferrothorn would make my life a pain if I didn't have HP Fire. But after a few matches of beta testing I realised that I wasn't doing much. And Reflect was pretty much pointless. I wanted to be a little more offensive

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Calm Mind
    - Roost

Weaknesses: Ice, Ghost, Dark, Dragon
    Synergy: Breloom, Forre

Reasons behind this set: When I said I wanted to be more offensive I instantly though of Calm Mind but I has a but of a problem with status I posted a question about whether Refresh was viable but in this case it wasn't because recovery is a must when setting up and so is coverage so I didn't have a spare slot to fit Refresh in. Dragon pulse is stab and hidden power fire is for scizor and thorn!

Deoxys-D:
    [​IMG]
    Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt
    - Night Shade

Reasons behind this set: It's really fast and it's a suicide lead, it can taunt other Pokemon from setting up their hazards and nightshade is just to do a decent 100HP damage when need be. Rocky helmet allows for some extra damage to be put on physically attackers while they hit Deo-D whilst he's busy setting up tons of Hazards.

Problems with this set: RAPID-SPIN.
    As much as I'd love to run a Gengar on this team.. I don't see where it could fit.
    In my head at the time I just imagined Alakazam wrecking through the 3 Pokemon I’ve put in the team so far so I needed something to deal with it and similar Pokes like Latios.

Sharpedo:
    [​IMG]
    Sharpedo @ Focus sash
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Protect
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Waterfall

Reasons behind this set: It's immune to psychic moves. It has Speed Boost and really decent base attack. not to mention a good enough movepool that covers a couple of things. Dual stab and why: Waterfall is great stab and with a chance to flinch things..it's quite handy. Crunch is for Latios and Alakazam (which are both outspeed after a protect) if they're not scarfed. EQ is to round things up. Pokemon such as Tentacrual would wall this set if it wasn't for EQ.

Rotom-H:
    [​IMG]
    Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Willo-O-Wisp
    - Overheat
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Reasons behind this set: The main purpose of Rotom-H is to deal with Genosect. WOW is there to cripple Pokemon that like to switch in. Volt switch is for momentum and switch advantages and HP Ice is for coverage and to take out things like Landy and Gliscor.. speaking of Gliscor we've got one more Pokemon and that's:

Forre:
    [​IMG]
    Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 216 HP / 136 Def / 156 SAtk
    Relaxed Nature
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Reasons behind this set: Hello physical dragons, I have HP Ice. and I'm also a back up when it comes to hazards. But my main purpose is to deal with those pesky hazards. BoltBeam coverages is always nice. and well it means that those Jellicent switch ins predicting the rapid spins are quickly slapped in the face and I get the switch advantage.

[Reserved for Threats/Checks]
    Show Hide

Tyranitar: Breeloom,
    Haxorus: Forre, Rotom-h,
    Rotom-W: Breeloom
    Reuniclus: Sharp, Deo-D
    Scizor: Latias, Rotom-h
    Jirachi: Sharp: EQ, Rotom-h: Overheat
    Politoed: Breeloom Bullet seed, Rotom-h Voltswitch
    Heatran: Breeloom
    Dragonite: Forre with HP Ice, Deo-D: taunt, nightshade
  2. CZ.

CZ.

Needs more descriptions. I'll rate once they are finished
  3. Bowl Cut

Bowl Cut

Hi Drizzlekicks, I have a couple of nitpicks with your team. First off, looking at the team itself, it looks like you're using a combination of very offensive Pokemon as well as Pokemon that are quite bulky. I suggest making a few changes with that as we go along.

Since this team looks more offensive than defensive, and you have Deo-D as your hazard-er, Forry is pretty much deadweight in this team. It barely puts offensive pressure on the opponent, and there are different dragon checks for more offensive teams like Scizor, and different offensive spinners like Starmie. Since your team happens to want both at the same time, I suggest the use of Offensive Donphan over your Forry. Donphan actually packs a punch with an Adamant STAB boosted Earthquake, and without Stealth Rock on Donphan, this will allow you to run Assurance to beat Gengar, which would otherwise laugh at Donphan.

With both Spikes and Stealth Rock and no ghost, you are prone to spinners. I recommend a Gengar to keep those nasty Rapid Spinners away, even after the comment I made on it getting destroyed by Assurance. But, Gengar is possibly the most potent offensive spin blocker around, and Assurance Donphan is so rare that I've only seen BKC use it, so you will have no problem, really. I think a Substitute + 3 Attacks Gengar over Sharpedo would be ideal on this team, as it checks common Latias checks like Scizor and Tyranitar and even other Gengar while behind a Substitute, letting Latias wreck havoc.

Speaking of Latias, I really recommend you to use the LO Latias set over your current CM set; Latias alone is bulky, so giving it a bigger punch to pack is ideal in most scenarios. CM takes a couple of turns to pack that punch, while LO Latias packs it from the turn you send it in. Since both pack Recover, you still have most rain offensive threats covered, and the others are checked by other team members (e.g. Rotom-H and Donphan checking Tornadus-T). With the given EV spread, you will be able to outspeed neutral base 100 speed Pokemon (300 speed), as well as having 339 HP (which is ideal for bulk as well as being at the LO number). A combination of Draco Meteor and Surf will always 2HKO Scizor with Stealth Rock, failing to OHKO back with Bullet Punch, so don't hesitate to Draco Meteor opposing Scizor switch ins.

Sets (open)

Donphan @ Leftovers l Trait: Sturdy l 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def l Adamant Nature
    Moves: Earthquake / Rapid Spin / Assurance / Ice Shard

Gengar @ Leftovers l Trait: Levitate l 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Speed l Timid Nature
    Moves: Substitute / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fire / Focus Blast

Latias @ Life Orb l Trait: Levitate l 152 HP / 180 SAtk / 176 Speed l Modest Nature
    Moves: Draco Meteor / Surf / Dragon Pulse (your team itself laughs at Ferro anyway, might as well have another dragon STAB) / Recover

Definitely consider these changes, good luck!
  4. Electrolyte

Electrolyte On a short LoA
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Hi,

Cool team! One thing that I see immediately is a prominent weakness to Volcorona. It can set up on Forretress and Latias- and then sweep your team with it's Bug/Fire coverage. Only Rotom-H can take more than two unboosted hits, but it isn't going to be doing fuch back, and eventually it will fall also. Deoxys-D is really deadweight for you; it really only adds to your astonishing weakness to Bug and Dark types. Forretress can take the role of hazards, allowing you to switch Deoxys-D out for a better pokemon. I think this pokemon should be Heatran. Heatran walls Volcorona all day- and can simple just Roar it out and force it to eat another round of Stealth Rock. Volcorona variants with recovery will fall to Heatran's Toxic, and Volcoronas with HP Rock will fall after being Roared out a couple times. Heatran also has great synergy with the rest of the team- it can take Fire, Ice, Bug, Flying, and Dragon- three very probelmatic types for your team. It's Toxic and burning with Lava Plume will also definitely be invaluable.

Now, your Latias set looks kind of weird. I suggest you switch to a SubCM set- with more speed, but less initial power. You lose on the ability to beat Scizor and Ferrothorn, but you can always just switch to Rotom or Heatran, who wall them all day. With SubCM, you avoid status- which is really helpful when you're up against pokemon like Amoonguss or TinkerCelebi. The extra speed will also be very useful- it allows you to outspeed Terrakion/Infernape, and speed tie with Lati@s. Also- Recover is in general better than Roost, as it doesn't make you temporarily susceptible to ground type moves.

To allow you to cripple Stall and bulky set up sweepers, I suggest you run Trick on Rotom instead of WiloWisp. WiloWisp is pretty useless on Rotom; you're scarved so being locked into a status move is not a good idea. Trick allows you to transform from a faster revenger to a bulkier pivot.

Now that Deoxys-D is gone, Forretress has to take on the role of hazard stacking. Don't be Intimidated though, it definitely can fill the gaps left behind by Deoxys. You're going to want to change it's spread into something bulkier, and change it's moveset to something more supportive. The set is down below.

Good luck!

sets (open)

Heatran @ Leftovers
    Calm nature, 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Lava Plume / Toxic / Roar /Stealth Rock or Protect

Latias @ Leftovers
    Timid nature, 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Dragon Pulse / Substitute / Recover / Calm Mind

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Relaxed nature, 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Spikes / Rapid Spin / Gyro Ball / HP Ice or Stealth Rock
  5. TheStarRapper

TheStarRapper

Hey there,

This is a small change but I would recommend changing Sharpedo's nature to Adamant. After a single protect he outspeeds all Pokemon under 435, which I think is everyone but Accelgor and friends. The extra power really justifies losing to over base 80 scarfers. This is of course, assuming you want to keep Sharpedo. Good luck regardless!
  6. Drizzlekicks

Drizzlekicks

Thanks for the rates guys!

I'll be sure to implement your advice:D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)