1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

That'll Be The Day

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by col49, Oct 20, 2012.

1. col49

col49 what.
    is a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

[​IMG]
    [youtube]aa5Cax3-Qv4[/youtube]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hi Smogon, it's been some time since my last RMT here :) As of recently, I've really been getting back into the RU scene, being reminded at how much fun it was by a buddy of mine. Any playstyle you could name, RU has a place for it, making the possibilities enticing to say the least. Of course, I'm sure whoever's actually bothering to read this already knows that, so I'll just cut myself off there. Being a more offensively inclined player by nature, I was naturally drawn to Smeargle-validated Heavy Offense teams, making a slew of such teams to X underrated 'mon and Y neat item on a common set. However, after a certain point in time, as with all else, things get stale, and I had to seek new means of being "creative". That in mind, I looked to the sacred foundry of the All-Choice Team. The prediction-heavy and fast-paced playstyle of such a team instantly appealed to me, being able to drop nuke after nuke when played well. Moreover, of all the tiers available, RU in particular appeared the most geared to supporting such a playstyle, sporting a variety of diverse and effective Choice users. That in mind, I got to work configuring a team. The end result was a ton of incredibly S-Rank 'mons and a Ditto a more bulky offensive team, featuring Ditto! While not overly impressive, the team has done reasonably well, peaking #2 on the PS! ladder. That being said, allow me to move on to the team itself!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uxie @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 132 HP | 124 Atk | 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    • Stealth Rock
    • Trick
    • Zen Headbutt
    • U-turn

Role: I guess you could call Uxie my "loophole", since his role as a Stealth Rock user and pivot / scout greatly outway his value as a Choice user. However, as it stands, TrickScarf Uxie retains an important role to my team. It's excellent bulk, backed by an excellent ability in Levitate allow it to switch into a plethora of attacks and respond accordingly. If my team is put in an awkward spot and I can't safely switch anything, Uxie is usually a safe bet. Additionally, the utility of Trick really supports this team, allowing me the ability to cripple a wall or another cheeky 'mon that thinks it can set up on Uxie.

Moveset/EVs/IVs: The moveset is fairly standard of a TrickScarf Uxie, with the exception of it's STAB. When weighing options, I found that I really didn't need to hit any particular physically-inclined defensive threats. That being said, Zen Headbutt and an investment in Attack over Special Attack offered a method of hitting Cryogonal and such hard, provide a neat Flinch chance, and allow for a stronger U-Turn. Max Speed and a Timid nature allows Uxie to speed tie Drapion and Jynx, with the investment in Attack allowing it to 2HKO SpDef Cryogonal and OHKO Jynx after SR, among other things.

[​IMG]
    Slowking @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 224 HP | 252 SpA | 32 Spe
    Nature: Modest
    • Surf
    • Psyshock
    • Fire Blast
    • Hidden Power Grass

Role: Slowking makes up the first part of my FWG and, and serves as a check to a plethora of threats. It wouldn't surprise many were I to say even without investing exclusively in bulky, Slowking still retains the ability to shrug off various Fire-, Water-, and Fighting-type attacks aimed at the rest of my team, and proceeding to replenish it's HP courtesy of Regenerator. This allows Slowking (and in a similar vein, Tangrowth) to be played rather elastically, sponging wayward hits and retaliating with the appropriate move. Moreover, with the vast majority of switch-ins to Slowking being Grass-types trying to usurp momentum, I can usually pick them off with Fire Blast before having to play around them to determine their coverage moves (which is always a pain).

Moveset/EVs/IVs: No real surprises when it comes down to moveset, though I do run HP Grass over the standard Grass Knot for more "consistency", while also hitting Lanturn notably harder. I run enough Speed to safely outpace anything trying to beat min. Speed Slowking, with the remaining meant to preserving bulk and offensive presence. I've debated running enough to outpace Amoongus / Spiritomb, though I never was put in a situation where it mattered.

[​IMG]
    Tangrowth @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 160 HP | 196 SpA | 152 Spe
    Nature: Modest
    • Leaf Storm
    • Focus Blast
    • Hidden Power Rock
    • Sleep Powder

Role: Part 2 of my FWG core (and I suppose my Regen core as well), Tangrowth helps to hold down the fort against an assortment of physically oriented threats. Additionally, access to Sleep Powder grants it the ability to essentially put an entire 'mon out of commission early-game, allowing me the ability to ruin threats like Entei before they get the chance to make their move. Regenerator obviously serves to reinforce it's usefulness, allowing it to continually switch in and out effectively without the need for a spinner. The surprise value of Specs also allows Tangrowth to catch annoying Pokemon like Sub Bouffalant with a powerful Focus Blast (even if it almost never connects).

Moveset/EVs/IVs:The moveset is very much standard of the offensive Tangrowth, offering excellent coverage against all but the chance Poison-type. The investment in Speed lets Tangrowth outpace most Roselia safely, while also hitting stray Alomomola before they can Toxic. By mitigating a few EVs from SpA to HP, Tangrowth is guaranteed to survive a +2 Stone Edge from Jolly Kabutops, and while I would argue that Adamant is notably better, it still has proven itself useful on more than one occasion.

[​IMG]
    Entei @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 220 Atk | 36 SpA | 252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    • Flare Blitz
    • Extremespeed
    • Stone Edge
    • Hidden Power Grass

Role: This set has been around since the very beginning of RU, and it still holds strong today, respect. CB Entei completes my FWG and serves as this team's primary priority user. This makes his safety imperative in match-ups with opposing offensive teams, as he is often needed to RK dangerous 'mons who might otherwise jeopardize my team. Additionally, his ability to lure Kabutops (and to a lesser extent Quag, Omastar, and Rhydon) and KO with HP Grass is second to, well, few, as it remains a fairly common "filler" move, but notwithstanding it remains effective. While his weakness to hazards is a touch annoying, the team can usually pressure opposing hazard users such that they are forced to fodder the user of forgo hazards.

Moveset/EVs/IVs: Aside from the mitigation of 32 Atk Evs to SpA to guarantee Kabutops is OHKOed by HP Grass after SR, this is a very standard CB Entei. Reducing Speed investment would mean risking auto-loss to opposing Entei and the chance Timid Rotom-C, both of which aren't overly pertinent options.

[​IMG]
    Escavalier @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 248 HP | 176 Atk | 80 SpD | 4 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    • Megahorn
    • Iron Head
    • X-Scissor
    • Pursuit

Role: Originally I thought Escavalier was really good, and then I realized that he was 2HKOed by Stoutland's Fire Fang :[ Seriously though, CB Escavalier is one of my favourite 'mons in the current metagame. In addition to stellar bulk backed by excellent defensive typing, Escavalier is more than capable of 2HKOing every non-Poliwrath/Steelix in the tier. What's better, Entei (the most common offensive Escavalier check) is worn down quickly due to SR weakness and Flare Blitz recoil, meaning it can usually only switch in once. Escavalier also serves as my primary answer to fast Ghost-types like Rotom and the occasional Haunter, trapping them early with Pursuit.

Moveset/EVs/IVs: With the exception of X-Scissor > Return, the moveset is fairly standard. Return is, in my opinion, rather useless on Escavalier, as most targets of Return are hit hard enough by Megahorn anyway and, unlike Return, isn't extremely exploitable. The EVs are meant to maximize bulk and offensive presence, with enough SpD to survive to LO Rotom Thunderbolts, and a slight Speed investment to get the drop on opposing Escavalier.

[​IMG]
    Ditto @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Imposter
    EVs: 248 HP | 252 Def | 8 SpD
    Nature: Relaxed
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 2 Spe
    • Transform

Role: With everything generally sorted out, my team desperately needed a solid catch-all revenge killer, and what better fit the bill than Ditto? Despite his narrow niche, Ditto is the champion of what he does, being able to safely revenge-kill everything. However, it's usefulness doesn't stop there, as by copying lead Smeargle, I can easily put it to sleep before it can set up hazards or force me to sleep fodder, neutering such opposing offensive teams.

Moveset/EVs/IVs: Ditto gets one move .-. As for EVs, they rarely accomplish anything, but when a poisoned 'mon behind a sub tries to kill it with confusion hax, I'll be ready :] The IVs grant Ditto a Hidden Power Fire should he receive it, which I felt to be the most generally useful, hitting Pokemon like Liligant, Accelgor, and Sceptile hard.

[​IMG]
    All in all, this team has been highly enjoyable to play with, though it certainly has it's faults. As mentioned prior, fast Ghost-types such as Rotom and Haunter can be very annoying, especially if Escavalier isn't kept healthy. Additionally, non-choiced Electric-types such as Manetric and Galvantula are also a pain to play around, as they can trouble my "defensive core" and hit hard with their STAB (though Ditto can serve as an important bartering chip with Manetric). Anywho, thanks for clicking my little RMT, any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated :)

Importable:
    Show Hide
    Escavalier @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 248 HP / 80 SDef / 4 Spd / 176 Atk
    Adamant Nature
    - Megahorn
    - Iron Head
    - X-Scissor
    - Pursuit

Entei @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 220 Atk / 32 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Stone Edge
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

Slowking @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 32 Spd / 224 HP / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Surf
    - Psyshock
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

Tangrowth @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 160 HP / 152 Spd / 196 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Sleep Powder

Uxie @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 132 HP / 124 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Trick
    - Zen Headbutt
    - U-turn

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Imposter
    EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 2 Spd
    - Transform

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)