The 1v1 Metagame

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Deoxys-S has been discussed; I think it was pretty universally agreed that it was too powerful with Pressure, Taunt, Cosmic Power and Recover.

This is a set I've been using to great success against some things, and not so great against others.

Gallade (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Protect is to scout, and the three other moves are the best coverage it can get. Shadow Sneak over Stone Edge didn't help much, as there were too many normal types floating around.

A big problem is Porygon-Z, which always outspeeds Gallade (even with specs) and can KO with Hyper Beam. Gallade really doesn't have any way to defend itself.

Halpz?

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Everytime I post "this has not been discused" in a thread, it's already been discused. Ah well, I suppose it is really overpowered.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Deoxys-S has been discussed; I think it was pretty universally agreed that it was too powerful with Pressure, Taunt, Cosmic Power and Recover.
That seems like a fairly "decent, but not gamebreaking" set tbh, it would either CP up while recovering a lot or use the fourth attack to do something (Toxic? Likely instant loss to any Steel/Poison, unless a crit from their best attack won't KO. Others still have plenty of turns to get a crit. Psychic? lol against quite a few things. Random coverage move? lol against quite a few things. Seismic Toss? Plenty of chances for a crit.). It has a chance against many things, but would also lose to crits very, very often because it's damage output would be minimal. Even pressue is not enough, most Pokemon still have 10-20 chances to get a crit with a move which would KO, assuming Deo is forced to CP a significant number of times before attacking back. Also, Pokemon which can deal over 50% to a +1 def Deoxys will simply beat it down, and if it goes for CP first you get a free tanuless move (plenty of things can wreak it if it does not get taunt up, and it can't afford to taunt any decent attacking move).

Deo-S may be broken.. but I'm not sure we can theorymon ban it from that set.

This is a set I've been using to great success against some things, and not so great against others.

Gallade (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Protect is to scout, and the three other moves are the best coverage it can get. Shadow Sneak over Stone Edge didn't help much, as there were too many normal types floating around.

A big problem is Porygon-Z, which always outspeeds Gallade (even with specs) and can KO with Hyper Beam. Gallade really doesn't have any way to defend itself.

Halpz?
Endure would allow you to survive the Hyper Beam, then strike back whilst he's recharging.

Interesting thing regarding putting Focus Sash back into play.

At first it was a bad idea, but with the most popular pokemon being based on one very powerful move...who knows, maybe it would reshape things a bit. Maybe keep it banned and just let Sturdy pokemon exclusively have its effects in Gen 5, thereby giving them a niche.

Interesting thing regarding putting Focus Sash back into play.

At first it was a bad idea, but with the most popular pokemon being based on one very powerful move...who knows, maybe it would reshape things a bit. Maybe keep it banned and just let Sturdy pokemon exclusively have its effects in Gen 5, thereby giving them a niche.
Sturdy only prevents the 4 moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, and Sheer Cold from working. Moves that would OHKO by taking away 100% of their health the normal way would still OHKO.

Sturdy only prevents the 4 moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, and Sheer Cold from working. Moves that would OHKO by taking away 100% of their health the normal way would still OHKO.
That's why he mentioned Gen 5 - rumour is, Sturdy's changing to stop all OHKOs from full health. So, all Sturdy Pokémon in Gen 5 get a free Focus Sash.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That news about sturdy is awesome! Though I support sash testing, it makes me sad they will loose their awesome niche. I think next gen could have the potential to bring a lot to 1v1 and maybe gain the metagame some respect.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
With the sash getting unbanned, whats your view on the metagame so far? I'm enjoying it. Not much thats breaking the game, yet at times Sash can be tough to counter, but its all good so far, no great Sash broken Pokémon.

Also, 1v1 Live tournaments will be held on #1v1 using Pokémon Online or Pokémon Lab, right after the Saturday/Sunday Tour. Be sure to be there!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)