The 200 metagame

[I would like to apologize in advance for all the tense confusion that you're bound to encounter while reading this. While I do realize that everything should be in present tense, the fact that I'm writing about a virtually extinct metagame causes me to insert past tenses in everywhere. Note that there are instances where this is intentional, mainly when describing how something once was standard, but wasn't when everybody left to play 386.

I would also like to apologize in advance for how sloppy it is. I really didn't know how to format all this and basically wrote it all with the intent that it would appear on one page, but I have mostly all content and virtually nothing connecting different areas of information, so it's hard to see how anything here is relevant to the topic at hand.

However, my biggest apology is for how incomplete this is. This is a metagame that hundreds of people built over the course of months of play, and here I am summarizing it in 1500 words. So please, if you have anything that you feel should be included, or was included but should be more thoroughly addressed, please say so. (Only vaguely related: I don't know if a topic like this really deserves an introductory preamble. ;x)

Oh, and another apology goes to everything that I got just plain wrong. Since most of this is based on memory, I'm sure I might've gotten some movesets wrong, and included Pokémon that are no longer standards. So if there's anything that doesn't seem right based on your experience with 200, please say so.]

Pokémon that are absent, or Why 200 is more offensively-oriented than 386

If you're comparing this to 386, you'll want to take note that the following Pokémon aren't there to influence the flow:

Blissey
Tyranitar
Dugtrio
Celebi
Snorlax
Zapdos
Suicune
Raikou
Aerodacyl
Gengar

The main effect of this is that the metagame is much more offensive. There are no real stable Heal Bellers. Snorlax and Blissey are absent, meaning that games can progress significantly more rapidly, and special protection is harder to come by (Regice being the most notable). Pokémon like Alakazam and Gardevoir can actually sweep quite effectively with a few Calm Minds under their belt, and special attacking Salamence can actually wreak some havoc. No Aerodacyl or Jolteon (and Raikou and Dugtrio) means the speed standard is lowered, meaning Pokémon can invest in stats other than speed, and actually completely max attack. No Dugtrio means Magneton is free to roam, and without Snorlax Skarmory is less used. Tyranitar's absence is also a biggie. Combine the absence of Sandstream with the lack of viable Heal Bellers, and you've got an environment where there's less switching, which means less Choice Band and Leftovers and more Lum and Liechi.

The only real special wall in the game is Regice. Unlike Blissey, Regice has Amnesia, which might make it seem like it might be a better counter for Pokémon like Alakazam. However, given Regice's shoddy HP (and defense), it's only going to be slightly better than Blissey at taking physical hits. The fact that it needs special attack EVs to do anything to most Calm Minders means less EVs to pad defense. This might not seem like a problem, until you realize that Regice only gets Rest for Recovery. And like Blissey, Regice has a fighting weakness. It's for this reason that people used Focus Punch Sceptile and other similar Pokémon. If Regice takes too many EVs out of special defense, Calm Minders that would otherwise have no business touching it will walk all over it.

On the physical end, Skarmory is still here. The problem is that without Blissey, the game is more specially-oriented, and physical walling is something that isn't as helpful. Fewer Pokémon learn Rock Slide, which hits neautral against Skarmory...and more Pokémon instead use Fire Blast, which means Skarmory doesn't even have a sure shot at walling Pokémon like Gyarados. Magneton kills it, Dugtrio can't protect it, and with Claydol and Starmie being used, it's not going to keep it's Spikes on the field that long, if it gets them down in the first place. Weezing is actually more used than Skarmory mainly for its ability to burn, which can render Pokémon like Gyarados and Metagross useless if it connects, and is one of the contributing factors to the use of Lum, but it suffers from lack of resistances. Also, with the absence of Substitute on Pokémon like Ninjask, Haze is just as good, if not better than Whirlwind or Roar.

The speed tiers

460: Ninjask
416: Electrode
394: Crobat
383: Swellow
372: Alakazam, Sceptile
361: Starmie
339: Manetric
328: Slaking, Dodrio, Salamence, Linoone, Tentacruel, Raichu, Flygon
306: Zangoose
295: Heracross

As you can see, you don't really encounter anything that really matters (or is commonly used) until tier 5, in the form of Alakazam. Thus, 250 speed is enough for Dragon Dancers and Salac users, and you can leave Agility users at 187.

This means that those Dragon Dancers and other such stat up artists can put more into special attack to increase Fire Blast's power, or defenses. Also, Pokémon like Gyarados don't need Jolly nature and can use Adamant.

Move tutors, or lack thereof

There are no move tutors in 200, meaning there are far fewer Pokémon learning Thunder Wave, Rock Slide, Substitute, and similar moves. Fewer Pokémon learning Thunder Wave means that risk of paralysis is lower, and no Rock Slide means one less move for Salamence, Heracross, and similar Pokémon, reducing the practicality of Choice Band sets for such kinds of Pokémon.

Mainstay standards in 200

Gyarados@Liechi
Dragon Dance
Taunt/Fire Blast
HP:flying
Earthquake

Without Zapdos around, the only thing that can really wall it was Skarmory, who doesn't like having the Drill Peck forced by Taunt taken by Magneton. It doesn't learn Thunder Wave here, so that's something to keep in mind. With its plethora of resistances and Intimidate, it can actually force Skarmory off teams to make room for itself, and considering that it is much better on the offensive than Skarmory, it does the job better.

Metagross@Lum/Choice Band
Agility/Sludge Bomb
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Shadow Ball

Agility is much more common in 200, mainly because it can't Explode. Skarmory was hardly common here, meaning it actually has the potential to set up and sweep entire teams, assuming it doesn't run into Swampert. Choice Band Metagross is countered too easily by Magneton, and besides doesn't have as many moves to work with, it doesn't get Explosion, Thunder Punch, or Rock Slide.

Salamence@Lum
Fire Blast
Dragon Claw/Dragon Dance
Crunch/Earthquake/Brick Break
Hydro Pump

Salamence doesn't get Rock Slide here, and CB Salamence was virtually non-existant. Dragon Dancing was a task better left to Gyarados, who made better use of Taunt with better typing, primarily Meteor Mash resistance. Special Salamence is actually quite common and has been known to sweep teams, amazingly enough.

Heracross@Lum/Liechi
Swords Dance
Megahorn
Focus Punch
HP:rock/Brick Break

Heracross's relationship with Skarmory in this metagame has never been that clearly defined either way. Despite how Skarmory has that handy duel resistance to Megahorn, it doesn't like taking Focus Punch on the switch, which Gyarados and Salamence can actually take quite effectively, and with Intimidate can cover other faucets of Skarmory's role. Somewhat ironically, Heracross is the only Pokémon that suffers dramatically from Skarmory's Drill Peck, which is barely a OHKO with minimum defense and HP.

Slaking@Silk Scarf/Liechi
Hyper Beam/Frustration
Earthquake
Shadow Ball/Sleep Talk
Slack off/Rest

One of the main reasons Skarmory sees use, although this was eventually killed by the fact that everything (defined as "everything") used Protect to counter it.

Zangoose@Silk Scarf/Liechi
Frustration
Quick Attack
Swords Dance
Shadow Ball/Brick Break

Zangoose is one of the more effective sweepers of 200. It actually can take down entire teams that showed up unprepared if it can set up.

Weezing@Leftovers
Will-o-Wisp
Sludge Bomb
Haze
Explosion/Rest

Focus Punch isn't used here much, but Weezing's ability to burn and high defense, combined with Earthquake immunity and no physical weaknesses plus the ability to Haze away Dragon Dance allows it to slow down some physical sweepers, and one of the main reasons for the use of Lum.

Skarmory@Leftovers
Drill Peck
Roar
Spikes
Rest/Toxic

While not near the "all-purpose" physical wall it is in 386, Skarmory still has some of the best defenses in the game. Note that Skarmory usually has more attack EVs to utilize Drill Peck better. Toxic-shuffling isn't used as much as it was initially, due to the ultimate superiority of paralysis, despite how it may be hard to find.

Alakazam@Lum
Calm Mind
Psychic
Fire Punch/Thunderpunch
Recover/Ice Punch

Alakazam can sweep quite effectively in 200. Lum, combined with Syncronize, discourages paralysis, and once it has a Calm Mind up it's hard to stop. Recover is mainly for Calm Mind wars with other Alakazams and Gardevoir. Due to its shoddy defense, it does best as a late game sweeper once you've knocked most physical threats into Alakazam's KO range. Note that it gets completely walled by Regice.

Gardevoir@Lum/Chesto
Hypnosis/Will-o-Wisp/Rest
Calm Mind
Psychic
Thunderbolt

Wish was never really used on Gardevoir, because by the time it was made legal 386 was the standard metagame. Gardevoir basically functions as a sturdier Alakazam with a bit more attack power in the form of Thunderbolt, and comparable special attack stat. It beats Alakazam one-on-one unless said Alakazam has Recover.

Regice@Leftovers
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt/Thunder/Zap Cannon
Amnesia
Rest

Regice completely walls most special threats with Amnesia, the only problem being when you have to switch out, so Amnesia is only used as a last-ditch effort to prevent a sweep. Toxic was initially used early on for beating Recover Alakazam, but people later discovered that Alakazam has such awful HP (and moderately low special defense) that simply hitting harder with Ice Beam was more effective. Due to the lack of Thunder Wave, Thunder and Zap Cannon are used for paralysis (which also helps against Alakazam and company). The main problem with Regice is that if you're continually switching into STAB Psychics, you're eventually going to have to Rest, leaving you vulnerable to Focus Punch and Dragon Dance.

Claydol@Leftovers
Rapid Spin
Explosion/Rest
Earthquake
Ice Beam/Psychic

Claydol was originally considered a staple early on when many people used stall teams in RS, based on GSC instinct. Claydol's usefulness was primarily contingent on Skarmory's use, both as a defensive compliment on your team, and as a way to get rid of the Spikes your opponent laid down. When people discovered how much more offensive 200 was, Skarmory diminished in use, and so did Claydol, although it still deserves mention for Rapid Spin, Donphan's existence being a moot point due to the metagame being much more special-based, and Claydol actually resists Psychic.

Milotic@Leftovers
Recover
Hypnosis
Surf
Ice Beam

This is a god-send for stall teams, providing a Pokémon that can take status and has solid defenses. Hypnosis is a biggie, since the lack of Sleep Talk means you'll end up shutting something down. The fact that it learns recover makes it much more stable than many other defensive Pokémon.

Some things I noticed quickly, but there's probably more. Would you mind if I rewrote it (for a big part)? I've been around in mid/late 200, read stuff about early 200, and have hosted and participated in probably the most recent 200 tournaments. Trying to be modest, but I think I know what I am talking about. Good work, though.

- Regice standards never, ever uses Amnesia. Usually Toxic and Rest were the fillers, occasionally Explosion to kill Alakazam. Calm Minded Fire Punch should be a 3HKO on Regice, so it has plenty of time to do this.
- 200 doesn't have less or more switching than FRLG. There's still solid counters to a lot of stuff.
- Gyarados having Liechi Berry doesn't seem like a good idea to me, and I don't think I ever saw it. Leftovers does better, also because Swampert is more tricky to counter (no Zapdos, no Celebi, no Meganium or Venusaur, no HP Crass Raikou or Jolteon, etc).
- Alakazam is always the same old boring guy: Calm Mind, Fire Punch, Psychic, filler. I don't think it gets Trick or Knock Off yet. The last slot does the best with Thunderpunch for Starmie, Ice Punch for Salamence, though if Alakazam has a Calm Mind it beats Salamence, and if Salamence has a Dragon Dance Alakazam dies. But probably the coolest option is HP Dark, which hits Gardevoir, other Alakazam and of course Claydol and Starmie, in addition to the Wobbuffet which was used sometimes before it got banned.
- Protect could use a little more love, seeing as Slaking was very viable - as always, except no faster-Substitute danger. It was used as a filler on about anything that wants it.
- Zangoose, or rather McZangoose, is designed to kill Alakazam. Swords Dance, survive the Psychic or just ignore the Calm Mind. Then Quick Attack for the OHKO with Silk Scarf. Later Dusclops was popularized so Shadow Ball got there. Until then, Protect was standard. Brick Break has about zero use, imo.
- I don't get your Slaking. Since day 1, I think people used Return, Earthquake and Shadow Ball @ Choice Band thanks to Celia. Focus Punch came in a little later for Skarmory..Counter for other Slaking, Fire Blast for the same Skarmory.
- Dragon Dance, Choice Band and Elemence are all three equally good to use in my opinion. Aerial Ace, Hidden Power Rock, Earthquake and Fire Blast are it's best attacking options on a physical set, obviously.
- Metagross not carrying Leftovers is a crime, you want to switch this thing on Zangoose and Dodrio. Lum is not much of a neccessity - Weezing can't take many Meteor Mashes, since it is not allowed to have Pain Split in 200 (though in NB, it gets it).
- Toxic/Protect Magneton + Gyarados = AWESOME. Toxic forces Regice to Rest, Magneton completely kills Skarmory, and then Gyarados comes out to play.
- Milotic should have Toxic mentioned, I saw that a lot more than Hypnosis. HP Electric is really good too when you consider the huge Gyarados danger.
- Ludicolo deserves a mention. Before Venusaur came around, this was one great Grasser next to Sceptile (which also deserves a mention). Leech Seed, Surf, Synthesis/Rest, Ice Beam/Toxic, probably.
- Choice Band Heracross is imo so much better than Swords Dancing, seeing as you won't find a team without a Dragon Dancer.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Protect on Gyarados deserves mention as an option over Taunt so it can freely set up on Slaking.

havoc

pottlepalooza
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heracross doesn't learn Swords Dance in 200, as Swords Dance is a move tutor. I can't remember the standard Heracross, however.

The standard Alakazam was Psychic/Fire Punch/Calm Mind/Hidden Power (Dark). After two Calm Minds Alakazam basically owns the 200 metagame.

Magneton was used in 200 just as it is in 386. With Skarmory being easily the best way to stop things like Ninjask and Zangoose, Magneton got rid of the threat. Magneton also actually was more useful in 200--Protect and Toxic could stall Regice to Rest, and also Metal Sound could be considered. The standard Magneton had HP Grass, since the only really common Ground type is Swampert.

I don't recall Gyarados ever having Liechi Berry as standard. However, I do seem to recall Agility Metagross using a Liechi Berry on occasion.

Choice Band Slaking is standard just as it is in 386. Choice Band Dodrio should be mentioned as well.

Lanturn should be mentioned, as it was a great counter in 200 for Regice and Milotic.

Other things that should be mentioned are Breloom, Starmie, MEDICHAM MEDICHAM MEDICHAM, Hariyama, Armaldo, Registeel, Dusclops, Swampert, Ludicolo, Blaziken, Flygon, and Shedinja.

Besides GSC, 200 is my favorite metagame to play--however, I got in kind of late. I would only play GSC when RSBot came out, and when I finally started playing RS the 200 metagame was starting to shift to 386.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I remember being able to use Lanturn rather effectively in 200 back when I used to play it, due to not every single pokemon being a physical attacker and the lack of Blissey. Sure Regice can wall it, but it can't hurt it. Sceptiles that switch in to counter me don't like being paralyzed, either.

As for Alakazam, I liked an all-out attacking set with Psychic/Ice Punch/Fire Punch/HP Dark. With Modest, that's going to hit a lot of things hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)