The adventures of Sunkern. One Pokemon's quest to beat the elite four.

In my spare time, I've embarked on a journey to beat the elite four + champion in Pokémon pearl with THE ALMIGHTY SUNKERN!

I am running a trolly (and banned) moveset on sunkern to attempt to hax the top trainers of the region.

Sunkern @ Focus sash
Lvl: 100
Ability: Chlorophyl
EV's: 116 HP 196 Atk 200 SpA
Brave nature

- Swagger
- Toxic
- Protect
- Leech Seed

This moveset is designed to gradually wane the HP of the opposing 'mon while slowly gaining health back via leech seed.

So far, Trollkern has managed to take down the teams of both Aaron and bertha, but has fallen to flint twice. (Mainly due to steel in being immune to toxic and breaking through my swagger hax.)

I need some help on a possible alternate moveset so that Sunkern can truly rise to the top.

Since you're not running a single attacking move, maybe dump those Atk and SpA EVs into your defenses instead. Of course, it would require training a new Sunkern to level 100..

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Focus Sash also seems kinda redundant due to it only being single-use (granted I haven't calced to see if you NEED it, but you'd probably be better off running Leftovers or something). Taking into account this and what Phione said about you not having any attacking moves, a better set would probably be:

Sunkern @ Leftovers
Lvl: 100
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef (Physically oriented because Swagger)
Bold/Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Protect
- Swagger

I'm not sure if you're allowing the use of PP Restoring items, but if you're not then you'll probably need to use Leppa Berry over Lefties as a held item

Mmm... I originally had giga drain over leech seed, hence the SpA EV's, but haven't bothered to train another sunkern... Probably going to replace focus sash (Which I used to avoid getting Crit-KO'd by flint) With Leftovers/Leppa berry...

UPDATE:

Sunkern has managed to hax his way to the champion!

After beating Aaron and Bertha without a scratch (These battles weren't too eventful, mostly the opposing Pokémon fainted itself with confusion or fainted from leech seed damage.), sunkern went up against flint. As the striped seedling stared into the eyes of rapidash, the force that had stomped the poor kernel into the ground so many times before I felt a surge of unexplained excitement, as if I knew that this was the match that I would finally win.

The battle started with rapidash firing off a sunny day (Which did sunkern a favor by doubling it's speed.) Sunkern retaliated with a swagger which caused rapidash to hurt itself. I used this opportunity to use a toxic and than selected protect. Rapidash hurt itself once again and sustained poison damage. On the next turn rapidash hit sunkern through confusion with a solar beam.
Sunkern managed to survive with about 77% of it's HP remaining and seeded the flaming steed. The next few turns consist of rapidash's health being whittled (Flint uses a full restore once.) away by toxic and leech seed while I spam protect. Rapidash's health is in the red and should faint from one more round of toxic so I decide to go for a protect, thinking that even if it fails, rapidash can't KO the kern as it has been fully healed due to leech seed.

Then it happens, The words: Rapidash used flare blitz! Appear on the screen. Hoping that sunkern can survive the hit my heart races, only for it to stop when I see that there is no way it can. The words: A critical hit! appear and sunkern's health drops faster than the beat at a Pokémon musical. But instead of fainting, sunkern glows with a white light. The text: Sunkern hung on using it's focus sash! Appeared in the box. Rapidash, realizing that it's mission had failed, succumbed to recoil.
I quickly use a potion (As I have decided to use healing items, though only default potions) and swaggered his steelix, knowing that it would be a challenge to take down due to it's immunity to toxic. Luckily, a combination of steelix hurting itself over and over, it's already high boosted attack stat, and leech seed danage are enough to take it down. Sunkern is now at about 3/4 health due to leech seed, and I attempt to toxic + swagger stall the drifblim that he sends out. Amazingly, sunkern manages to faint the drifblim after it misses with will-o-wisp three times and only hits once out of two consecutive attempts at ominous wind. It attempts to double team hax me, but only wastes turns and succumbs to poison. Next out is lopunny, an easy opponent as it only uses mirror coat and charm.
This strategy doesn't faze sunkern as lopunny is fainted by a combination of leech seed and swagger. (Toxic is at 4 PP and I don't want to waste it.) I use an ether on sunkern (Yet another allowance of items) while flint sends out his infernape which goes for Mach punch. Sunkern takes little damage from it and swaggers the fire monkey/ape/goku simian. Infernape hits through confusion with thunder punch which doesn't do too much to sunkern. I use a potion to be safe while infernape hits itself once. I toxic while infernape uses thunderpunch. On the next turn I protect and infernape attempts an earthquake. Sunkern uses leech seed while infernape breaks out of confusion and uses flare blitz. Sunkern would not have survived if not for leech seed recovery and the potion I used earlier. The recoil from flare blitz and the effects of toxic take infernape out for the win.

Sadly I did not have enough time to continue on to Cynthia just yet. I will update the thread when I do face Cynthia.

Cynthia will be the biggest challenge yet, Being (in my opinion) the second hardest champion in Pokémon.

(Steven was really hard for me for some reason :/)

Seed you next time!

(R.I.P 17 sunkerns)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)