1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Alliance of the Dragon Trio - Weatherless Offense

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Gehenna, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Gehenna

Gehenna formerly Shokwav

Why This Team?

After the more recent shifts in the metagame following the banning of Genesect, and the increased viability in Garchomp, Gyarados, and Latias resulting from this, I decided to build an offensive team arround these massively underrated threats.

The Team
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Closer Look

Garchomp

[​IMG]

Item: Choice Scarf
    Trait: Rough Skin
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Dual Chop
    - Fire Blast
    - Earthquake

Moveset reasoning:

Ahh, Garchomp, how the mighty have fallen. Once the undeniable king of the metagame and the cause of much centralization, Garchomp has finally decided to calm down and join the Alliance, much to our benefit. Garchomp is absolute monster. Outrage is the obligatory Dragon move of choice, with Dual Chop my backup (and superior to Dragon Claw) sub-breaking secondary STAB. EQ is also for the great STAB coverage. EV spread is standard. Garchomp's STABs are only resisted by Flying and Levitating Steels, of which are decimated by Fire Blast. Some people seem to believe that, because of the Jolly nature and Garchomp's much lower, univested Sp. Atk, Fire Blast in inferior to Fire Fang for handling Skarm and friends. To help settle this issue, check out these calcs:

Code:
    0SpAtk Garchomp (-SAtk) Fire Blast vs 4HP/0SpDef Scizor (Neutral): 110% - 130% (312 - 368 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
    0SpAtk Garchomp (-SAtk) Fire Blast vs 252HP/0SpDef Leftovers Sturdy Skarmory (Neutral): 51% - 61% (172 - 204 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    0SpAtk Garchomp (-SAtk) Fire Blast vs 252HP/168SpDef Leftovers Ferrothorn (Neutral): 56% - 67% (200 - 236 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
    Yeah, Chomp really has no safe switch-ins.

Gyarados
    [​IMG]

Item: Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 20 HP / 238 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bounce
    - Substitute
    - Waterfall
    - Dragon Dance

Moveset reasoning:

The second member of the "Dragon" trio, SubDD Gyara! A favorite from DPP, Gyara really hasn't changed. He's great at checking a lot of the common Fighting-types that plague the meta. I took careful measures in selecting the EVs for this set- 20 HP is the closest Leftovers number, while 252 Speed allows me to (unboosted) outspeed Adamant Mamoswine and 0HKO with Waterfall. Anyways, the moves are fairly obvious, Bounce for Fighting-types like Loom, Keldeo, etc., Waterfall for STAB, and SubDD to complete the classic setup. Choosing Intimidate over Moxie was rather iffy for me; however, Intimidate is always a solid ability, and I feel it allows him to tank hits from threats like Scizor better.

Latias
    [​IMG]

Item: Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Recover
    - Psyshock
    - Draco Meteor
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Moveset reasoning:

Latias, the severly underused Eon twin. Latias was on the downfall since Genesect's introduction into BW OU. However, once the mighty metallic bug was banished to ubers, Latias's viability has increased exponentially. Latias really helps my team cope with many threats- Keldeo, Landorus, and Thundurus just to name a few. Anyways, the move choices should be fairly obvious, with Recover for healing purposes, Psyshock and Draco as my main formes of offense, while HP Fire is for incoming Steel-types. EV spread is standard.

Terrakion
    [​IMG]

Item: Choice Band
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - X-Scissor
    - Stone Edge
    - Rock Slide
    - Close Combat

Moveset reasoning:

Ah, Terrakion. What is there to say about it that hasn't been said already? Terrakion is one of, if not the, greatest physical force in OU. His STAB is resisted only by a measly 5 Pokemon, none of which are viable in OU. Terrakion checks many threats, such as Mamo, Kyurem-B, Ferrothorn, Salamence, etc. Really there's no downsides to this guy, other than Rock/Fighting obviously being a bad type defensively. The moveset is the standard CB set. X-Scissor for coverage, Close Combat and Stone Edge as STAB, and Rock Slide for when I don't need Stone Edge's shaky accuracy to get a KO. The EVs are standard also.

Jirachi
    [​IMG]

Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Wish
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam
    - Stealth Rock

Moveset reasoning:

Jirachi, the little wishmaker from Gen 3, and the best support mon in the game. Rachi provides a lot of utility to this team and also serves as a special tank, Draco magnet, and SR user. Choosing Jirachi for this team was a no-brainer due to it's terrific stats and typing. Wish helps keep vital threats like Gyarados, Garchomp, and Terrakion alive, while Iron Head and Body Slam are pretty self-explainatory, what with Jirachi being the hax god and all. She's also the best user of SR on this team (the other candidate being Garchomp). The EVs are standard Sp. Defensive EVs, but with no Speed investment- I don't see the need to outrun Jolly TTar when 2/3 of my team handles it nicely.

Rotom-W
    [​IMG]

EVs: 184 HP / 4 Def / 144 SAtk / 176 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Pain Split
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp

Moveset reasoning:

Rotom-W is, like for many others' teams, the glue. He's bulky, he's a Water, he's got great support and pivoting abilities, and is overall a solid, versatile choice to help counter massive threats, such as Tornadus-T in the rain. He also has great defensive synergy with Jirachi, along with being a good secondary answer to Keldeo and other bulky water types. Pain Split is for a decent, albeit unreliable, form of recovery. Volt Switch is great for keeping up offensive pressure, and Hydro Pump is also equally great STAB. Will-O-Wisp helps soften hard-hitting physical attackers. EVs are the standard bulky spread.

Currently Considering
    These are mons who I'm currently considering for a slot on my team.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Conclusion

Well, that's it! I hope you guys enjoyed! I'm currently looking for any improvements for this team. I'm mainly looking for improvements in movesets/EV spreads, but you can also suggest new team members altogether! Thanks for looking!

2. Jirachee

Jirachee Kaleidoscope
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Hi

Your team looks pretty solid for a weatherless balance team, good job on that. However, I think that it could be much more effective if you switched the roles of Garchomp and Terrakion, by giving the Choice Scarf to Terrakion and the Choice Band to Garchomp. This might seem a bit weird at first, but here's my reasoning. Terrakion has much better super effective damage than Garchomp, which is very important for a revenge killer. Furthermore, scarfers should be minimizing the amount of free turns they let the opponent, because they are the main revenge killing tool for the team; Garchomp's STABs aren't very good for that. Outrage means that you're sacking your scarfer, which is never a good thing when you want to keep the opponent in check. Earthquake has a lot of immunities in OU, so it kinda sucks to be locked into it. Dual Chop is pathetically weak, and Fire Blast is even weaker. Terrakion doesn't have that problem (except with the much less common Ghost types.) Terrakion also have that extra speed which can always come in handy. Garchomp, on the other hand, have the perfect STABs for a Choice Bander. Dragon is pretty much the best thing you can get, as a boosted Outrage will be taking down pretty much everything that doesn't resist it (a vast majority of the metagame) and will put a big hurt into some of the things that resist it too. I think that your team is going to be much more effective that way.

Since you're running HP Fire on Latias, you shouldn't be running all that Speed, you can actually use enough to outspeed max Speed Terrakion and Keldeo. 244 Speed EVs give you enough to do that. You can put the rest into Special Attack so Latias gets "slightly" more powerful Draco Meteors.

The biggest problem I see with your team is that you have nothing to stop Deoxys-D from setting up a fuckton of hazards. You're pretty much guarenteed to start the match with SR + Spikes against you, which can really make it difficult to follow the game plan. You have Gyarados which is weak to SR, making it pretty difficult to manage, Terrakion, Jirachi and Garchomp really don't like Spikes either. You don't have a fast Taunt Pokemon or a Rapid Spinner that can prevent Deoxys-D from setting up or clean up the mess, which is why you're gonna have issues against it. Honestly, I think that Starmie would fit your team pretty well over Rotom-W. Starmie is one of the most reliable Rapid Spinners in OU. Pretty much all the threats that Rotom-W cover that Starmie doesn't are covered by other Pokemon on your team anyway so I don't think you're losing out on much here.

Anyway cool team, here's the set you should use:
    Starmie (open)

[​IMG]
    Starmie @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Timid
    EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
    ~Scald
    ~Psyshock
    ~Recover
    ~Rapid Spin

Good luck!

edit: use a Jolly nature so you can take advantage of Terrakion's higher Speed and outspeed things like Scarf Salamence.
  3. Gehenna

Gehenna formerly Shokwav

Thanks for the rate, Jirachi! I'm testing out your changes right now. Do you suggest an Adamant or Jolly nature on Terrakion?
  4. Leftiez

Leftiez *Stars*

Hi Shokwav.
    It is a very solid and very effective team, I can't really rate because it seems very correct, but I see that you are weak against Terrakion, you have nothing to take his attacks and Latias is 2HKO by Stone Edge, OHKO If Stealth Rock.
    (252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 284-336 (89.02 - 105.25%) - 31.25% chance to OHKO) / / / (252 Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 72 HP Atk / 0 Def Latias: 267-315 (83.69 - 98.74%) - guaranteed 2HKO)
    Then even if you put Latias/Garchomp on Terrakion, the opponent can switch and come after,, you will be soon disadvantage, I see also that you're very disadvantaged against Scizor, you have nothing for Tank Uturn and Terrakion is a sweepers, it does not move to heal and Gyarados also, after 3 Uturn Terrakion dies (252 + Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. HP 0 / 4 Def Terrakion: 31.57 102-121 (each - 37.46%) - 90.16% chance to 3HKO) / / / (252 + Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 20 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 114-135 (33.92 - 40.17%) - guaranteed 3HKO) Gyarados is 2HKO with Stealth Rocks, I suggest you to put Landorus-T Bulky on Garchomp , Landorus-T is very interesting for your team It can tank Scizor, Dragonite, Salamence, Terrakion with his ability (Intimidate). Then now you can come on Jirachi without problem even if it has Body Slam. Now u can swap StealthRock with Uturn for Jirachi.

But now I see that you are very disadvantaged against Rotom-W Bulky because Rotom-W has Will-O-Wisp, you can not come to him with Jirachi/Garchomp and Latias is a sweeper, and then generally Rotom-W is with Scizor-Jirachi-Tyranitar, are very good counter to Latias, but I have a good idea, I suggest you to Latias in WallCalminder with psycho shift, I explain you: If Rotom uses Will-o-Wisp your Latias is at a disadvantage and then the opponent can put Jirachi/scizor/Tyranitar, now you can come without problem because with psycho shift, you can give your status problem to your opponent, so Tyranitar/Jirachi or Scizor will burn and you can switch after.

Landorus-T
    Show Hide
    Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

Latias
    Show Hide
    Latias (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psycho Shift
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Recover

Tl;dr
    Show Hide
    Garchomp--->Landorus-T
    Latias--->Stall CM>Life Orber
    Jirachi--->Uturn>Stealth Rock

Hope I Helped and Good Luck with your team.
  5. Gehenna

Gehenna formerly Shokwav

Hi leftiez,

thanks! I really appreciate all your help and I will test your suggestions, and I will probably change Latias' moveset up like you recommend. However, I'll probably use Substitute over Psycho Shift on Latias, just because it has so much extra utility and allows me to scout any switch-ins (such as Scizor). Thanks for the help!
  6. Leftiez

Leftiez *Stars*

no problem ^ ^, yes you can put Sub also

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)