1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Ancient Menace (Peak #7)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Godsend, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Godsend

Godsend

Introducing… The ANCIENT MENANCE! This team is more or less just an offensive Sand team with a touch of Aerodactyl. This team fits together well, using some of the most dangerous pokes in the meta right now, combined with the best weather. There is a somewhat basic defensive core of Roserade and Blastoise, complemented by Hippowdon who can take physical attacks that Blastoise may not be able to. My sweepers, Stoutland, Alkazam and AERODACTYL are mostly just beast as shit, so I use them. I’ve hit my peak at 7th, with a rating of 1394, but have fallen to the teens and haven’t been able to reclaim that spot. But, nonetheless, on to the team!

[​IMG](M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Stealth Rock
    - Slack Off

My sand starter and co-physical wall, Hippowdon is one of the most physically defensive pokes in the game, and the EV’s are meant to bring that defensive potential to the max. That said, the EV’s are a bit arbitrary, and the Defense EV’s just bring my defense to a number that I liked (355). Attacks are somewhat standard, though I use Stone Edge>Ice Fang because I’m cool. Earthquake is for STAB and using Hippo’s decent attack stat. Rocks are used because they won’t fit anywhere else and Slack Off is for recovery. Obviously he isn’t replaceable, unless I want to use Hippopotos. In battle, however, he isn’t exactly reliable, but oh well!

[​IMG] (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Aqua Tail
    - Hone Claws

Not really the “main” sweeper, Aero does a good job at softening things that for Stoutland, and occasionally pulling of sweeps of its own. Sandstorm increases her Special Defense to a decent 279, making set up a bit easier. The attacks give just about as good of coverage as Aero can get. Hone Claws make Stone Miss into a very reliable attack, with STAB and a good base power. The only thing I don’t like about this set is its lack of good attacks, if I could, I’d run Head Smash/Brave Bird/Earthquake/Swords Dance, but Gamefreak hates Aero… Overall, this set has not been near as disappointing as I thought it’d be, though it is hard to get used to. In fact, the first few times I used it, I thought it was horrible, but then got the hang of it and started whooping ass.

[​IMG] (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Grass Knot

I love this bitch right here. He is so flipping good, it’s not even funny. Well, it may be a little bit funny, but still. Standard set, except Grass Knot>Sub because Suicune is a bitch. Not much can really stand in his way, even special walls can be broken by some Leech Seed from Roserade. Not much to say, other than this is a great Pokemon. Also, this is part of what makes my team not extremely fucking weak to hail.

[​IMG] (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Frustration
    - Crunch
    - Retaliate
    - Wild Charge

THE Sand Sweeper in UU, Stout is no joke. I don’t usually like choice items, and have tried CB, but didn’t like it, so I use Life Orb. Retaliate is to have a 140 base power attack after one of my pokes has fainted. This has been very handy, just for having a stronger attack. Frustration is to just have a more consistent attack. Crunch is to hit Ghosts, Wild Charge for waters. Nothing special here, just a plain mean sweeper. [/FONT]

[​IMG] (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Resttalk Blastoise never dies. Well, usually. At least, not until I have to make a sacrifice. What I’m saying is, Blastoise can almost always get the spin off when I need him to, and then rest off all the damage he took. Blastoise is almost a blanket check to physical attackers. Though he can not stop them all, he can slow many down, and a little burn hax goes a long way in bringing many threats down. I use Blastoise mainly because I hate having rocks on my side of the field, and wanted a super dedicated spinner.

[​IMG] (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Leech Seed
    - Sleep Powder
    I saw someone using SubSeed Roserade on the ladder and it was great, so copied it and haven’t looked back. I find that using it to set up hazards and what not just isn’t worth it, so I use this amazing set. She is my check to physical attacks, and helps with weakening some threats for my sweepers. For some reason, people just don’t see Sleep Powder coming from Roserade anymore, so I use that to my advantage.
    Well, that’s the team, feel free to rate/hate/steal.

Here's an imporatable for you guys.
    Show Hide
    Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Stealth Rock
    - Slack Off

Aerodactyl (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Aqua Tail
    - Hone Claws

Alakazam (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Grass Knot

Stoutland (F) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Frustration
    - Crunch
    - Retaliate
    - Pursuit

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Roserade (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Leech Seed
    - Sleep Powder
  2. badabing

badabing hevy hangs da hood,,

This is a good team props on using Aero. I'm pretty familiar with sand so let me give you a few suggestions.

Spikes Rosie is a staple on sand balance teams, use it. Spikes help wear down common Stoutland switchins like Registeel, Rhypherior, Hitmontop (who will be pressured to come in and spin), and with multiple layers Stout can even 2hko Slowbro.

Roserade @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpDef / 8 Speed (prolly oughta creep more tbh)
    Calm Nature
    - Spikes
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Rest

Now you need a spinblocker for all those hazards, so try replacing Alakazam (he seems like you just tacked him on) with a stallbreaker Missy. Missy can even lure in Registeel and deal it a crippling burn =D.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Taunt
    - Will-o-Wisp
    - Pain Split

My next suggestion is to try CB Stoutland. With spikes support he is a monster and CB lets him bulldoze through the lack of coverage. Makes an insane revenge killer and late game cleaner. Btw Wild Charge sucks. Pursuit is a lot more valuable imo to trap ghosts that normally impede his sweep. If you wanna keep LO (it's definitely easier to use prediction wise), still consider changing out Wild Charge.

Stoutland @ Choice Band
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Frustration
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Retaliate

The only other change I recommend is Roar over Stone Edge on Hippo. He's an excellent phazer in UU being able to force out the majority of physical attackers and in conjunction with spikes support, he can really wreak havoc. Racking up residual by shuffling through the opponenet's team also helps weaken things into Stoutland's KO range by lategame.

GL dude. I definitely can't post my sand team now because they all look so similar XD
  3. Godsend

Godsend

Thanks for the suggestions! First, I've tried Spikes on Roserade, and though it is typically a staple, it doesn't fit my play style. Also, I don't want to live without Sleep Powder on Roserade. It is a great way to deal with anything that wants to switch in on Roserade, like the Fire type drops, etc. Also, Leech Seed provides support for my other pokes, making switch ins to bulky mons a lot easier. It allows Alakazam to switch in on Thunder Wave-less Chansey with out any sort of problem, for example.

Alakazam is a Pokemon that can not be switched on this team, for a number of reasons, but mostly because it is fucking broken. It only has like three "counters" (and I use the term loosely) in the whole meta. Hell, I'd replace Aero before I replace him. You speak of Stoutlands counters, like Rhyperior, Registeel and Hitmontop. Though Alakazam can not switch in to these three, when they try and switch in, they are wrecked. Provided they hit, Registeel is two hit ko'd by Alakazam's Focus Blast, while Rhy is one hit ho'd by Grass Knot. Both have relative special bulk and have tried to switch in to Alakazam, both have failed.

With Stoutland, I really just don't like being locked into one attack, and though losing HP hurts, it is still the preferable option to me. Wild Charge is mostly filler, and I have in fact thought of replacing it with Pursuit, I just haven't gotten around to it, though I probably will.

Thanks for the rate! Sorry for the chapter, I guess I should have added more the the descriptions, I just felt like it wouldn't bee that necessary. Keep them coming!
  4. HR.

HR.

the team is very solid, aerodactyl is a nice touch, i think you're the first person ive seen actually use it lol. I have a few nitpicks/suggestions you could try out.

First, try ice fang on hippo, it hurts all the roserades and other grass types that switch in a ton, and it helps with flygon and stuff too. It still hits mostly everything you wanted to hit with stone edge anyway, so try that out.

I personally think CB is a much better item on Stoutland than lo. I used Stoutland extensively last round, and found CB to be better in almost every circumstance. The residual damage just sucks, and the extra 20% helps out a lot. I can see CB Escavalier doing a number to this team, try using Fire Fang on Stoutland over Retaliate if you do decide to switch to CB.

I'm also not too fond of your spread on Roserade, yeah it will take special hits better but it'll get ko'ed by basically any physical attack. Imo, all defensive Roserades need a little defensive investment, try out 252 HP / 120 Def / 136SDef

Just some stuff to consider, team looks solid. good job
  5. Godsend

Godsend

Thanks HR. Part of the reason I don't like CB on Stoutland is to get surprise kills on Ghosts. So many times have random ghosts switched in to Frustration, just to get smacked in the face with Crunch. That itself makes it worth it. Fire Fang does sound like a good idea, because Escavalier is a pain in my ass.

So far, Roserade has been working great, but I can give that spread a shot. More overall bulk might be worth it in the long run.

Thanks dude, I'll give some suggestions a shot.
  6. Cost

Cost

I think it would be worth trying out a LO Durant with hone claws/rock slide/iron head/x-scissor. It is very similar to aero except Durant's attack stat sky rockets with a single HC due to hustle, and very little can stop him from my experience. If the other team does not have a scarf fire type or a steel type, then durant will most likely rip the other team apart, or dent it or than enough for stoutland to come in. Slowbro, Suicune, Gligar, Nidoqueen, hitmontop, etc. are all either 2HKOed (even hitmontop with intimidate) or OHKOed. Blastoise can easily come in on any fire attack. If you want, you could use light screen on alakazam over maybe grass knot (because I assume it is the least used attack, and durant can 2HKO suicune while aero can't I don't think?). Since you have hippo and stoutland (and also durant possibly) to take physical attacks with ease, light screen would help make those 3 almost invincible, if alakazam is about to die or you have a free turn. I'm still getting used to UU so I can't offer much more advice but I've been using durant and sweeping teams without even knowing what I'm doing half the time.
  7. Godsend

Godsend

There are onlya couple things I like about Aerodactyl>Durant like the speed, and the fact that Aero has "decent" special bulk (comparatively) but Durant is a viable option, and I will give it a shot for sure. Thanks for the rate.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)