The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shokugeki S2 is super rushed. They're cutting out all of the buildup and foreshadowing that the manga had so they can rush through the tournament arc and get to the next one within 13 episodes, which is a shame. I hope the pace slows down in the coming episodes, because the tournament arc is really fantastic (especially the finals).

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I really hated the pacing in that episode. When comlared to the buildup-heavy setup of season 1, it just felt like it wanted to get to the eating incredibly quickly and it just results in all of the tension which made season 1 so engaging being lost.

Edit: Rewrite ep 1 was just so generic for the first 35-40 mins and then the end of the episode got me completely hooked.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree on Shokugeki. Everything was just as good as the last season (even better animation, actually) except the pacing was twice as fast. One of the biggest draws of the first season was the way it hyped up events with some really well done build-up scenes. None of that here. I'm hopeful that maybe it's just because it's the first episode, but I heard there's a lot of content to go through if they want to finish the tournament. I'm pretty upset about this tbh.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna talk about Berserk for a bit
Right from the get-go I can tell that the source material is extremely good; similarly, it's adaptation feels incredibly solid in most aspecs of it. It's very entertaining, and I remember at one point towards the end of the episode my right hand was shaking due to a combination of hype and shock and there may have possibly been a bit of fear mixed in too (although I honestly don't know; I have a lot of emotions that I feel but don't know what they are when I feel them). The coreography of the fights is incredibly good, I think that it is puts CGI to good use in said scenes. However, outside of fight scenes it looks very weird in general. I don't like the hand-shaded look that they are going for on the basis that it's positioning is static regardless of movement, ruining the illusion completely, and I have a hunch that the fight scenes don't even use the same CGI as the non-fight scenes (although it's hart to tell given how fast they move). I've not scene the 1997/8 adaptation, so I can't compare the two (if anyone has seen the 1997/8 version and/or read the manga it'd be provide good insight to this discussion). I think with regards to a lot of the complaints that people have with this first episode, I thought that it all worked incredibly well given the type of show that it was. Jump cuts like the ones in the episode seem to add to the tension incredibly well, and assuming that it does in fact cover 440 pages in one episode I think that the fast pacing fits it very well in general. I think that if it had covered, say, 100 pages in that time (or however much the average manga adaptation does in a single episode) I would have probably gotten bored when watching it on the basis that I would have probably had to wait three episodes for action in what is very obviously going to be a dark, action-based show.
As for ReLIFE:
I am really loving this show and I can tell that it has spectacular source material (I am definitely going to read it when I finish binging the adaptation). I'm 6 episodes in now and it is hard to point out anything inherently bad about it. In particular I like how easy it is to relate to the characters' situations and all of their challenges. In particular, Hishiro's personality directly mirrors mine from year 7 (with current me lying slap-bang in the middle of Hishiro and Arata), and Rena's difficulties really resound with me in general. I had a welling up in my chest in the scene with the volleyball, and the direction surrounding her dilemma has been spectacularly good. I love the way that the world around here keeps getting swallowed up by a void when she starts thinking about her rivals, and using this void as a clean transition to outside of the gym was a genius piece of direction imo.
All in all if you haven't watched either of these shows I highly recommend both of them--especially ReLIFE.

Subaru just continues to infuriate me with each new episode as of late. It's just delicious... I at least hope that by the end of this arc he will have learned that his attitude toward Emilia and others who try to help him out, is just completely wrong.

I watched Masou Gakuen HxH and now I have a question:
Who came up with this shit? Did we really need to get this far to deliver 'fanservice'?

Also I watched Rewrite and it is a lot better than I expected. The characters so far are all likable.

However, what I am really looking forward to is Taboo Tattoo to come out. This is the anime I am actuallly hyped about.

Martin

Agreeing with RODAN. I watched episode 1 yesterday because I had heard good things about the manga and it didn't disappoint.

Have been reading ReLIFE for a while now (highly recommend). Binge watched the anime this weekend and was overall impressed with it. My only real gripe was with the final episode, where they slightly deviate from the source in a way I didn't think was as good as the original (was still fine though).

If you're watching the anime and you like it, definitely go back and read it as well.

Also, I was reallllyyy looking forward to Shokugeki season 2, and echoing that I'm a little disappointed in how fast paced the first episode was. They left out so much buildup, made the match almost boring to watch.

I have now seen the first episode of Taboo Tattoo, Orange and Fukigen na Mononokean:

Taboo Tattoo
Badass. I really liked the first episode...a lot. One thing that bothered me are both the opening and ending. I hope this isn't turning into another "Oh main character is a boy and all the other relevant characters are girls. That means they will fight him and be in love with him" or some clichee like that. The ending pretty much sexualizes the female characters so I am really concerned now getting invested.

Orange
I have no opinion about that. It is kinda bland. Nothing really interesting but it isn't bad either. It is just too decent kinda like the first episode of Ao Haru Ride. Speaking of Ao Haru Ride, the animation reminds me a lot of that series.

Fukigen Na Mononokean
I liked that one the most. I can't explain why. The plot itself doesn't seem particulary interesting but the execution was where the episode shines. For instands I really liked how the Mononokean interacted with the spirit before sending him to the spirit world. I can't wait to see more of this and I can only recomment you guys to at least see it for yourselves.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
first ep thoughts so far listed from favourite to least
---

Amaama to Inazuma - cute as all hell, touches on some very sad things but not in a way that feels forced or melodramatic at all. I think i just love the Dad raises young daughter genre which there seems to be a lot of.

Orange - Other than the fact that they look like fish people, this has a really compelling set up and i'm excited to see where it goes

Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan - This is a short, but it is super fucking funny

New Game - DogaKobo delivers again, they truly have mastered the art of the cute girls SoL

Shokugeki S2 - Wayyy too fast paced, also soma is kind of a Gary Stu and its starting to wear on me

Tales of Zestria - Very pretty, i didnt like teh game though so this will probably be dropped

Taboo Tattoo - Surprise of the season for me so far, really impressive action. Also the main girls name is Bluesy Fluesy. Maybe i'm tainted by the mass of fujoshi shows this season though.

DAYS - The best of the fujoshi shows

Bananya - 100 emoji

ALL THE TERRIBLE FUJOSHI SHOWS - WHY WHY WHY ARE THERE SO MANY

Yeah, I have super high hopes this season. They definately are not going to get through the entire manga in one season though

just a heads up that i'm hosting a gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun rewatch and the episode 1 discussion thread is up on /r/anime, if anyone's interested (this is the last time i'll be posting about this, no worries)

what's the consensus on Saekano, btw? i've heard a lot of mixed things about it and it gets a lot of hate despite having a pretty large fanbase. i'm deciding between it, oregairu, GitS, and spice & wolf for what to take off my PTW after i finish hyouka

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I thought saekano was really cool and a fun watch, altho its a bit slow in the beginning, however if youre looking for something to know out of your ptw then spice and wolf is easily the best romance oriented show there, and is one of my favorites. The character interaction between lawrence and holo is just hnnnng

RODAN

Banned deucer.
just a heads up that i'm hosting a gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun rewatch and the episode 1 discussion thread is up on /r/anime, if anyone's interested (this is the last time i'll be posting about this, no worries)

what's the consensus on Saekano, btw? i've heard a lot of mixed things about it and it gets a lot of hate despite having a pretty large fanbase. i'm deciding between it, oregairu, GitS, and spice & wolf for what to take off my PTW after i finish hyouka
its generic as fuck, but has some of the most interesting direction tricks ive seen. which is enough to make it interesting

Okay, gotta talk about ReLIFE now that I'm done with it. It's worth watching. It has a lull in the middle episodes but the first episodes and ending are worth it.

The show has a good blend of realism and anime that sits just right, along with some good humor. It falls into the trap like a bunch of other manga where there are arcs for less significant characters that are really kind of pointless and only serve to pad the story. But it shines when it shines. It's not meta or anything but it's aware of the romcom genre and comfortably does all the right things for a show in the genre. Just don't binge it too hard or the middle episodes will burn you (there's a reason it took me this long to finish the show).

Also:

I hoped Hishiro wasn't another grown up because the first episodes made a lot of sense for a mental 17 y/o but now it's like, really? It's annoying that most of the cast isn't actually supposed to be in high school, it kinda kills the gimmick of having the main character redo high school in the first place.

To the show's credit, though, it nailed that reveal.

INCOMING: HYPE

I mean, there are actually some spoilers there? I probably shouldn't have watched that, but damn if KnK isn't gonna be good when it comes out.
I tried reading the manga but stopped due to how much everybody is a douche in the first couple of chapters. Like I couldn't stand any of them. I think I will watch this though

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I tried reading the manga but stopped due to how much everybody is a douche in the first couple of chapters. Like I couldn't stand any of them. I think I will watch this though
if u get past that its amazing. the ending fucking sucks bc no kiss payoff or fucking anything

Martin

This week's Shokugeki was such an immense improvement over last week and was v. enjoyable to watch. It didn't feel rushed when watching it (idk if it would for people who have read the manga tho) and it got me immensely hyped for next week.

They nailed the balance of backstory to cooking/reactions/etc. It's still going super fast but is way more faithful to the manga with this battle. Animation is great and the pacing of the episodes themselves should change starting with the next episode, since:

the Hisoko/Hayama match should be pretty short and Takumi's match has a ton riding on it and will probably end on a cliffhanger

Ok why does Key insist on writing ass. Their good work seemingly ended with Clannad. Angel Beats was stupid, Charlotte was retarded and now Rewrite is also turning out to be completely stupid. Planetarian might be the saving grace but Im also afraid its just gonna turn into a shitfest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)