The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
ugh the akuma no riddle ending was soooo weak :// really disappointing

and of course ping pong was the greatest thing ever i cant express how much i adore this anime

edit: FUCK RODAN

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I'm behind on the shows I watch because I've been out of properly working internet for the past week... z.z

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
I recently finished the first season of SAO with the mindset of being able to watch SAO2 with everyone else.

SAO arc was good except the storyline where it jumped around from sidestory to sidestory with no real coherent forward plot driven point at the beginning. It makes sense when looking at it retrospectively how important the side quests were for Kirito's character development but the story was still meh.
ALO arc was better in terms of progression storywise but the story itself was much more lackluster. Also unnecessary fanservice, lack of memorable characters, and an honestly cringy antagonist makes it worse overall with comparison to the SAO arc.

Meh, I still enjoyed it and think that people give it too much flak. Gonna continue my Fate/Zero runthrough soontm.

NGNL finale was excellent, i've heard people complain that the series falls off at some point but overall i'm very happy with the first season

idk if anyones still watching utena, but i watched the first 2 episodes and dropped it. i dont get how anyone finds this shit enjoyable, the characters are bad, unlikeable and unmemorable, the art style is really ugly, the battle scenes are pitiful and i cant get into the inter-character relationships

someone please tell me why people enjoy this

I'm at 4, it's supposed to get really smart at a point I'm assuming isn't the dead start of the show. Even then I can't say I'm totally bored by it so far.

I raced ahead of everyone to about ep 15.

Honestly, the reason it frequently rates mentions as underrated is because it's not everyone's cup of tea. You also have to consider the time that this anime was created in (art).

I really enjoyed it so far and plan to resume it. I love the visuals (if you overlook the datedness, there's some real creativity there, especially with the shadow puppet art style) and the music, and Utena is a great character. The anime is definitely a slow starter (it has 40 episodes too...) and it takes the final ep of the student council arc to make it apparent why the arc is even relevant, but the story has finally upped the ante. I think to be able to withstand Anthy you have to look at her philosophically, which exposes the hypocrisy of Utena's own creed. The duels are metaphorical more than anything at the start as well.

I feel that I can't judge this show adequately until I get further in, because the buildup here is really obvious. I hate the filler episodes but thought the advancement of Anthy and Utena's relationship was both subtle and complex so far. I don't think it's meant to initially be easy to understand. The student council arc being like 90% reused footage and failing to engage the viewer with either good battles or engaging characterisation from the council (sans one character) for like six episodes is very valid criticism nonetheless. The latter does get better though.

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I'm still getting over the art, long and lanky is pretty much on the top of my least favorite art styles (there are a lot of good 90s series in term of art). Sure it's superficial, but ultimately I'm watching it.

I do enjoy what they do with entering the forest + those shadow girls with really creep voices.

so tokyo ghoul is already ranked #173 on mal with a score of 8.37. while it was an excellent first episode, i dont think it deserves to have risen that high already. manga is great, though ive only read ~20 chapters of it, hoping the rest of the anime continues to live up to the manga

might as well post the stuff im gonna watch this season

akame ga kill
aldnoah.zero
bakumatsu rock
barakamon
glasslip
rail wars
space dandy 2
sao 2
tokyo esp
tokyo ghoul
zankyou no terror

also maybe persona idk yet

xenu

Banned deucer.
hi guys stop by at #weeb on synirc for anime discussion and space dandy hype. we'll also be staying up groupwatching most anime this season as the eps roll in, got a bot that monitors torrents on nyaa.se and all that.

I read the manga... it's absolutely crazy with random deaths left-right-centre.... much like AoT
ive also read the manga, i know exactly what it's like, which is why im so pumped for it and why i really hope its done well
also its way better than aot lol

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
ive also read the manga, i know exactly what it's like, which is why im so pumped for it and why i really hope its done well
also its way better than aot lol
How hyped are you for the ship sequence.... DBZ-esque fight in suits is ripe for anime badassery.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
hi guys stop by at #weeb on synirc for anime discussion and space dandy hype. we'll also be staying up groupwatching most anime this season as the eps roll in, got a bot that monitors torrents on nyaa.se and all that.
also im there and im really cool

I thought NGNL was pretty mediocre so I guess I'm in the minority. It was like a 5.5/10 for me. Wasn't as bad as Black Bullet though but then again most things aren't.

I think it's overhyped too. Not "mediocre", but I didn't like anything after episode 7, I think. The highs of the show were neat and well directed but imo after a certain point it wasn't enough to salvage everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)