The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
list time

ill copy jebus' list style, although the tiers are more based off personal enjoyment for me than technical quality (altho that will be a part of it)

S Tier
------
Kekkai Sensen - this is my AOTY, its absolutely fucking stunning and has an amazing soundtrack. And on top of that I genuinely loved all the characters. This show oozed personality, I liken it to if hamatora was actually good.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures: Stardust Crusaders S2 - The most joy i got out of a show this year, it was just incredible from start to finish, and i still feel really empty that its done.

Bikini Warriors

DIGIMON ADVENTURE TRI - I DONT EVEN CARE IF ITS FLAWED IT WAS TOO GOOD

A Tier
-----
Hibike! Euphonium
Rokka No Yuusha
Punchline
One Punch Man
Shirobako
Everything Becomes F: The Perfect Insider
Nanatsu no Taizai

B Tier
-----
Ore Monogatari
Shokugeki no Soma
Assasination Classroom
Overlord
Parasyte - the maxim

C Tier
-----
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Fate/stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata
Yoru no Yatterman
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
Re-Kan
Ushio to Tora

ANUS TIER
-----
Taimadou 35 Shiken Shoutai
Seiken Tsukai no World Break
Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Anyone got a chance to watch the first 2 Initial D Legend movies? (basically the first few seasons packaged as movies)

A friend wants to get into initial D but doesn't have the patience to watch 4-5 seasons' worth anime. I wanted to recommend these movies but I'm torn.

The CGI, animation and the touge scenes are all improved (the original inital D looked crap outside the heavily CGI'd race scenes and the reused *intense downshifting* frames), and even the sometimes slow spacing have been tightened up in all the right places..

but there is a fatal flaw.

it has no eurobeat

This annoys me. A lot.

What the fuck were they thinking man. That shits like a fatal.... :/

Now I don't know if I should recommend this. Maybe it's just nostalgia and a new viewer wouldn't care much but IDK, I remember all the hype I felt watching the show comes with a *na na na THUMP THUMP THUMP disiyaaah!* background noise.

Imagine the iconic first scene from the anime without the ultra hype "No one Sleep in Tokyo" pumping in the background.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
I got REALLY lazy for Fall and burned out after Winter/Spring so... yea.

All of these are no order in each individual tier.

Top tier:
One-Punch Man
Shokugeki
Hibike! Euphonium
Kekkai Sensen
Saekano
Oregairu S2

(Honorable mention: Bikini Warrior teehee)

High tier:
Monster Musume
Fate/Stay Night UBW
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Ore Monogatari
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches (english name because lazy)

Reasonable:
Overlord
Shimoneta
Okusama ga Seitokaichou
Danna ga Nani w/e season 2
Danmachi
High School DxD BorN
Nisekoi S2
Plastic Memories
Koufuku Graffiti
Shinmai Maou no Testament (haven't seen season 2 yet)

Bad tier:
Isuca
Absolute Duo
Mikagura Gauken Kimikyouku
Punch Line
Juuou Mujin no Fafnir
Yuri Kuma Arashi

Why does this shit exist:
Owari no Seraph
Seiken Tsukai no World break

RODAN

Banned deucer.
check out gunbuster and its successor diebuster, they are pretty clearly the precursors to NGE / TTGL respectively and both kick ass

gunbuster is PAINFULLY 80s at times though

Asek

Banned deucer.
I'll just highlight my best + worst for the year. Only shows that i finished, or are still airing and im still watching count for each category

Top 5 airing 2015
1. Hibike Euphonium
2. Jojos
3. One Punch Man
4. Non Non Biyori S2
5. Rokka no Yuusha / owarimonogatari

Worst 5 airing 2015
1. FSN UBW S2
2. Tokyo Ghoul √A
3. Gangsta
4. Rolling Girls
5. Beautiful bones

Favorite OP: Ushio To tora
Favorite ED: Hibike Euphonium

In terms of older stuff I watched this year, my favorites were The Girl who Leaped through time and Welcome to the NHK, I thought both were top tier viewing, especially the former. Didnt watch as much older stuff as I would of liked as this was a pretty hectic year for me but oh wells

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
here are some anime i like (i dont watch enough to do rankings like you guys :[) so this is i guess best of all time for me
any of you guys want to talk about these? :O

summer wars
ghibli (nausicaa, mononoke, porco rosso, spirited get special mention)
gurren lagann
klk
giant robo: the day the earth stood still
opm
NGE
samurai flamenco (im pretty sure this whole anime is memes)

when I was like 13 i had a to love ru phase, from what i remember it was not bad tbh

Also: I really love shounen and mecha anime, so: any recommendations? I don't want any huge time sinks because I'm prone to binge-watching, but nonetheless Code Geass and HxH (2011) have definitely caught my eye

edit: ooh ooh ninja/samurai anime are also cool!!! I really liked Ninja Scroll
hi
http://myanimelist.net/anime/237/Eureka_Seven
bye

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
ive already seen both and it is not shigatsu 2.0 lol.

shigatsu is drama with cringe ''comedic'' scenes + a bad take on the MC's psychological problems (like seriously, you should NEVER force someone like this when they clearly need help), while I consider Nodame to be more of a romcom

e: soul fly don't u dare compare being scared to take the plane and what that kid went thru

Last edited:

RODAN

Banned deucer.
shigatsu is the most polarized ive ever been about an anime, on one hand the piano scenes are fucking amazing and the final episode was absolutely perfect. but on the other hand the majority of the show was kousei monologuing about the same thing every episode and all the other characters being either too perfect, cliche, or just pointless. also the dialogue was ripped straight out of my grade 10 creative writing class

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I already saw Nodame a few years back, even though they're both about music it's an unfair comparison. In fact it's the other way round, The Nodame-like quality of the anime drew me in and gave me a completely different narrative. In fact Shigatsu is a much more mature narrative.
(Can I also just take a moment here and note that 14yo's ABSOLUTELY don't have even close to that level of emotional maturity... damn Japan, just use a little more mature characters for mature narratives.)

I can critique shigatsu in a lot of ways. After all its a light novel adaptation and therefore comes with those inherent pitfalls. But fuck that. Gotta hand it where it's due, it's intense as fuck, and the last episode left me like an emotionally drained trainwreck not letting up at the feels-pedal at all. I'll not lie I cried like a little fucker.

The last time an anime got anywhere close was probably Clannad (u all probs know the parts I'm talking about, not spoiling it for the others) I was like "damn that's overwhelming" but nowhere near this...

The monologues are a different matter. If you pay close attention there is a subtle way in which Arima slowly changes his self-perception. Each time there is a subtle shift, with the "spring" motif, slowly learning to come to terms with his repression, and then learning to forgive himself. It was a slow, taxing process.
I for a change found it refreshing compared to the usual deus ex machina ways in which Anime MCs get rid of their crippling mental blocks/disabilities in one go, because "love","nakama", or some bullshit like that. The change is slow, measured, tempered. It's beautiful. You might disagree, that's fine, but I personally believe it's a very healthy change of pace to anime storytelling.

ALSO BEAUTIFUL FUCKING OST. That alone probably elevates the ultra-cheesy parts of the anime into acceptable by itself.

(Also bee tee dubs soulgazer if you have a problem with Shigatsu's treatment of Psychological problems how'd you stand Nodame lol, She literally hypnotizes him into a cure.... )

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm here because I started watching anime fairly recently. Having watched the entirity of both Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online in the space of around one and a half days, I was wondering if there are any similar anime that any of you recommend. I'm starting watching Angel Beats, but I don't really know where to go from here once I've seen the whole series beyond maybe Gurren Lagann. Any suggestions?

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
While i disagree that shigatsu is more mature than nogame is i have to agree that the ost is gorgeous hahaha
I still do think shigatsu had horrible pacing though, like i said, more episodes :(

i was fine with the melodrama in shigatsu and the comedic bits really did not bother me as much as it did with a lot of other people, it seems. the dialogue was iffy at times but mostly tolerable.

on the other hand the animation was gorgeous and the music was amazing - i've played piano for around ten years and i've personally played all but two of the songs that were featured in the show, so that was a huge selling point for me. other people have also covered various pros and cons of the show so i'm not going to ramble too much. i guess my biggest problem was, like soulgazer said, how poorly they handled Kousei's psychological problems early on (the kid has depression and possibly PTSD, you don't just throw him onto the stage) but apart from that it was one of my favorite shows of the season almost solely on artistic merit.

I'm here because I started watching anime fairly recently. Having watched the entirity of both Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online in the space of around one and a half days, I was wondering if there are any similar anime that any of you recommend. I'm starting watching Angel Beats, but I don't really know where to go from here once I've seen the whole series beyond maybe Gurren Lagann. Any suggestions?
popular gateway anime to recommend are Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Gurren Lagann (like you mentioned). they're all more or less shounen anime and have a pretty fair mix of action, drama, and occasional comedy, though none of them are perfect in their own right. No Game No Life is also a lot of fun and you'll probably like it if you liked SAO. the currently airing One Punch Man is also something i'd recommend,

other darker shows (along the lines of Attack on Titan but better) are Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, and Psycho-Pass

Your Lie in April is
[x] Dramatic
[x] Pretty
[] To be taken seriously
[] For musicians

So A-1 Pictures is a studio that has this problem; It's too good at catering to this immature teenage audience that happens to be the lowest common denominator in anime. Their shows are exactly as good as they have to be to net the studio a profit and most of the time that means a half-baked show that you won't like anyway because you're not the target audience. A small part of the source material they choose to adapt is actually good (Shinsekai Yori, The Perfect Insider, etc.) but the incompetent producers have no idea what to do with them and bring in directors and scriptwriters that botch it up.

Your Lie in April is definitely in the bigger category and the reason its fans love it is because the drama factor is huge, like it was in Anohana. So A-1 does their job, producing something passable that looks great and sells like pancakes, but obviously the show falls off in a lot of aspects. Among all the other complaints, the instant I saw they had no idea how to portray a concert I left the room. Like, I still kind of remember the still shots of the violin as the animators desperately struggled to save frames in high points of the -second episode-. Seriously, though, I can't stand this studio. I bailed right then and there because I knew I would just stay angry at the show if I stayed.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yo can anyone recommend me different romance / romcom mangas to read?

Currently I've caught up on:

Last Game - A little rich kid who is good at everything meets a plain girl who happens to be better than him at everything and ends up falling in love with her. She falls in love with him but they don't realize it ever. I liked it a lot, the interactions were pretty cute

Masamune-kun no revenge - This was ok, its about a guy who used to be fat and tried to confess to a really popular girl as a kid. She rejected him and it humiliated him so he trained and worked hard to be super attractive to win the girls heart to get revenge on her

Minamoto-kun Monogatari - i thought it was fairly decent, but its pretty ecchi. Guy got bullied as a kid for having a really pretty face so he has a fear of women, his aunt tries to help him get rid of the fear of women by forcing him into her experiments on love. Basically every female character is meant to be a sex icon

Nozoki Ana - this one was REALLY good, although a little ecchi as well. A guy learns that in his apartment theres a peephole where the girl next door spies on him every day, and ends up blackmailing him. Starts off really smutty but turns into a good romance.

I don't really mind ecchi stuff, but I'd rather not just read straight smut manga, and I don't really like things like kissxsis. I much prefer just the classic romance stuff. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)