1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Anti-Hax Formula: Curtain Call

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by DougJustDoug, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Olie

Olie

I got leaked info about the IS thread last night after making a fool of myself in the main chat. Rather expected, but good work guys :)
  2. reachzero

reachzero the pastor of disaster
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Words almost can't describe how insanely fun this was. I loled when I noticed my name in foible's signature. Also, my apologies to Haunterfan for apparently talking him into actually supporting the formula. :( "Hax is part of the game, no sense in complaining"
  3. zorbees

zorbees
    is a Forum Moderator

I had a thought in the back of my head that this was some sort of ruse, but it never really developed due to all of my anger. Good job guys.
  4. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

For those of you that are wondering -- the clause will be taken down shortly, and the OU ladder rankings will be restored to their state immediately prior to the implementation yesterday. There should be no permanent damage from this joke, other than a little wasted time by some battlers today. But I think it's a small price to pay, all in the name of a good joke. ;-)
  5. the_artic_one

the_artic_one

Geez I'm the biggest sucker in the world, I got soooooooooo worked up about this. There were so many times where I actually had to stop browsing the forums before I posted something that may have caused my policy review permissions to be revoked.

Well played, I salute all of you.
  6. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

On the other Pokémon forum I'm a mod, people were decided to leave and never go to Smogon's Shoddy Server because of this clause, lol. Even I "lost hope" on this community before hearing that we'd have a suspect test for it.

That said, I loved this prank. It was really cruel, but now I can't stop laughing at how beautifully done it was. Good job, really.
  7. joshe

joshe the best

cool joke.
  8. X-Trader

X-Trader

lol, I didn't notice at all. I won the ones I was suppose, lost the ones I was suppose to. Didn't make a difference. Well-played.
  9. rayquazamaster776

rayquazamaster776

Thank GOD this wasn't real. I was seriously considering things such as:
    -Quitting ShoddyBattle
    -Getting everyone I know to join Smogon and send the leaders of this project PMs asking for at least another ladder
    -Making an online petition
    -Going to the library, making like 10 Shoddy accounts, and spam anti-Anti-Hax Clause messages
    -Attempting to ladder with Magikarp, Delibird, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, and Lopunny, all holding a Focus Sash and only knowing Splash. (I am dead serious, scarily enough)
  10. locopoke

locopoke indulges in unsavory behavior
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Haha wow, good timing too. I just made 2 comeback wins after getting haxed a whole game, yet somehow they gave me a loss. I was getting pissed off at the fact that I'd have to deal with this for a while. Good thing it's all a joke.
  11. Bosgoed

Bosgoed

What was the chance of battle being overturned? It was said to be like a coin flip, but it didn't seem to be close to 50/50, so I'm just wondering what the actual numbers are.
  12. too_talls

too_talls

Great prank guys.

But I hope you turned the darn thing off now, cause I just lost to a low rank because of it and screwed my record over big time.

But all in all smogon rules april fools....what no teir changes thisd year? lol.
  13. M Dragon

M Dragon The north wind
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arena Tycoonis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Champion

No comments lol
  14. KoA

KoA The very best...
    is an Artist Alumnus

It was great seeing this joke til the end.

Also hah to those with messed up ratings now. B)
  15. Scofield

Scofield Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

16. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

BEST....APRIL FOOLS....EVER! (Who cares about caps?)

All I have to say really. I may not have done anything significant in the play, but the whole time arguments fly on and the gullible people running about. It was an amazing sight. Doug has secured his win for Smogon Awards 2009 IMO.
  17. Tleilax

Tleilax

Haha yeah same here. When I came back to the site and saw that I about flipped my lid. Especially with the whole debate on the weather glitch and game mechanics going down in PR.
  18. zorbees

zorbees
    is a Forum Moderator

Next time (if there is one) include users Lemmiwinks and Blame Game, they deserve it.
  19. Flounder

Flounder

this has to be the most elaborate scheme anyone has ever devised ever, holy shit
  20. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Here's an excerpt from an internal post to the cast, where I describe the real logic in the Anti-Hax Clause:

FYI - a close battle was defined as battles ending 1-0 or 2-0. If it's 1-0 -- a single coin-flip was made. If it was 2-0, then two coin flips were made.

So, you can see, the incredible irony of the joke was that the clause was intended to de-emphasize luck -- when in fact, it actually made winning almost TOTAL LUCK!
  21. Haunter

Haunter 100% avocado
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

No problem Reachzero,though I feel a bit stupid at the moment... again, an awesome job guys.
  22. bobbycat

bobbycat

hahaha this was fucking amazing
  23. bugmaniacbob

bugmaniacbob Floats like a Butterfree, stings like a Metapod
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I never believed this was real for a second.

Well, maybe one or two minutes.

In any case, this was uncannily well done and beautifully orchestrated, and clearly much more planning than many of today's comic performers. It was funnier than them, too. Congrats.
  24. Lemmiwinks MkII

Lemmiwinks MkII

Yes, I'm officially regarding as sane! On the internet, not in real life (if you knew me you'd understand).

Though to be honest, I had serious suspicions when it became apparent that the ladder was going to be implemented on April 1st. Before that there was no reason to make a connection to April Fools at all. But I agree with Doug in a way, this has been an interesting thought experiment that has come up with some remarkable results and allowed me to improve my argumentative skills.

And to everyone that betted on me "cracking" first, I'LL FUCKING KICK YOUR FUCKING HEADS IN!! That's incredibly insulting to my intelligence. I would never flame anyone intentionally YOU FUCKTARDS!! GO SUCK OFF YOUR DAD, THEN FUCK YOUR MOM, AND FINALLY YOUR SHELVES!!!!!

Just kidding. Thanks for the compliments!
  25. Gaborik

Gaborik

Wow, what an elaborate scheme. You nailed everything like you wanted in the script thread :

"For the casual, uninterested Smogoner, the thread should look like some "boring theorymon debate in PR"." - Just... yes, I fell into this role. I like to read the threads in PR to see what is going on, but this thread just wore on me and I gave up on it and fell into an uninterested user. My thought process was that I won't have a say in it anyway, and I just don't have time to keep up with all the details so I'll just ignore it and become that uninterested Smogoner.

"At this point, we should dust off a few "Wise Old Veterans". They will lament about the historical impact of hax on the metagame. They will reassure the community that this formula is simply the latest step in a long line of measures Smogon has taken over the years to ensure that skill is the primary deciding factor in competitive play. Phrases like "Even though I don't play Pokemon any more..." and "I remember back in GSC..." -- will probably be used liberally." - These were a nice touch

This morning I finally took a hint after I posted in the anti-hax thread and reread the details of "if you win 3-0 the chance of getting the game overturned is the equivalent of lightning striking your computer and electrocuting you" (whatever the quote was, it was along those lines). I finally took a hint because it had happened to me this morning and didn't quite feel lucky enough to have lightning strike (and I quit battling after that fact). I also put together the pieces of the timely "delay" and "problems" implementing the ladder to push the date back this afternoon.

Well played, great stuff

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)