1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

The Anti-Hax Formula: Curtain Call

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by DougJustDoug, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Syberia

Syberia [custom user title]
    is a Pre-Contributor

I'm just amazed by how much of this debate spilled over into the serious non-joke weather glitch topic.
  2. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Wow, that was a rather elaborate joke on all of us.

Well done!
    darkie likes this.
  3. CardsOfTheHeart

CardsOfTheHeart

I think there are some people that were hoping that the weather glitch topic was the joke... XD
  4. Syberia

is a Pre-Contributor

The thought did cross my mind
  5. kd24

kd24 lemme just whip my dick out and slam it on the table
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

you guys got me good ^_^

few things:

only once i got suspicious and that was articanus not receiving ICBB while bc did but this only bothered me for a half hour

this is amazing and well played prank, good job to everyone involved

oh, and i still think the ladder is a good idea x=
  6. Tleilax

Tleilax

I was planning on addressing myself, actually. I was prepared to be foul and short tempered about the whole deal after Obi went on about altering game mechanics and then adding this. Thankfully it wasn't necessary. :justin:
  7. Hocotate

Hocotate

Oh man. Maybe it's just the 'hax!!!!!' spirit in Shoddy but I really did believe in this, and I'd say at least 90% of Smogon members probably did too.

Oh man.

(Well, maybe not 90%)
  8. Ulevo

Ulevo

I have to say Doug, good prank. But you really gave it away when I posted "I smell an April Fools joke.", and proceeded to delete my post and reply swiftly with commentary stating posters should stay on topic, when normally you would simply infract a user for spam.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1841922&postcount=22

Thankfully for you you did this promptly, so I don't think anyone caught on. Good job none the less.

For the rest of you, did you sincerely believe this was real when it is consistently emphasized to the community about how important it is to maintain as close to an image of the original games as possible for Shoddy and the smogon community? Silly people.
  9. Syberia

is a Pre-Contributor

Not everyone believes that, as evidenced by the Pursuit glitch topic. The majority seem to be in favor of doing nothing about it.
  10. Aeroblacktyl

Aeroblacktyl The pizza doesn't scream in the oven! LOL!
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

it makes me wonder how guillible someone has to be to actually...fall...for...this... =/
  11. Sunday

Sunday God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I wish I could have seen how chaotic shoddy was at the later parts of this, it was funny enough at the start with just the 1/17 chance! (dam time zones)
  12. hellmonkey

hellmonkey

Awesome prank.

I even feel honored to having fallen victim of it. Elaborate, yet effective. A mastermind's work.

Many thanks for the laughs!
  13. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Tangerine mentioned it, but I managed to figure it out shortly before the thing went up. There were a bunch of things that were just "fishy" about the whole thing, and I had it figured out, but for a second there, I was actually on the fence about it. (props to tangerine for not breaking down when i started poking)

That said, watching the reactions was fucking hilarious, and there's an upside. There may be some whiny bitches who quit Smogon and never come back! That's enough for me, imo.
  14. EeveeTrainer

EeveeTrainer

It is clear to me that Smogon decided to implement this clause, heard the public outcry against it, and subsequently used April Fools' Day as an excuse to go "heh j/k guys ^___________^;;;;". Master PR stroke, guys.
  15. Raverist

Raverist

In honour of this great deceit of the public, I call Doug as Smogon Presidential Candidate 2009.

This brightened up a dark day for me, thanks.
  16. Relictivity

Relictivity

That was awsome! You guys played it so well, and I fell for it . Great Job!

I second Raverist.
  17. Ondore

Ondore

I'm still shaking my head at how you magnificent bastards pulled this off. Unbelievable.

And Doug, I think you deserve this (mildly NSFW) for coming up with the original idea and planning it to the extent you did.
  18. Sixonesix

Sixonesix
    is a Past SPL Winner

I did start to wonder when I saw DM post in Policy Review. Otherwise, I just thought this whole anti-hax business might be cool to try out, just for two weeks--so long as it never, ever made its way into the main ladders.

I was surprised to find out that the whole thing was an April Fools joke though, excellent work guys, and especially Doug.
  19. EvilBob

EvilBob

To be honest, I'm actually rather disappointed this was a joke. Assuming it was real, and the formula was a complex as claimed, trying to figure it out enough to take advantage of it would have kept my normally wasted free time occupied for awhile.
  20. Ulevo

Ulevo

Oh. I would also like to mention that the distraction of the new "OU list" was brilliant. It was obviously completely fake, and very few had doubts otherwise, but it was just enough to distract posters from the real prank despite it being so obvious. For that you deserve a box o' chocolates.
  21. umbarsc

umbarsc

I have to admit this fooled me. Luckily, I didn't get too involved so I didn't waste time on any angry rants or anything (I was pretty neutral on the subject overall).

One thing almost made me suspicious, though. I asked two people in #biuret what was said when it changed a match, and I couldn't get an adequate answer out of either. Obi deflected that nicely by saying he had never seen it change a match, then start ranting about how it didn't change enough matches.
  22. petrie911

petrie911

Impressive stunt. I was a bit suspicious at times, but I never thought this wasn't serious. Which is probably a bad thing, but I don't know who it reflects badly on.

So, the anti-hax formula was a coin flip the entire time? Awesome. Still, looks like the proposal I made about this was for naught. Not that I would have wanted this sort of thing implemented, though, so perhaps it's for the best.
  23. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

Now that the joke is over, it's time to get serious about an anti-hax formula.
  24. Philip7086

Philip7086 Myuu
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

And here I was designing teams that could use this clause to it's advantage >___>.

Damn you Smogon. DAMN YOUUU!!
  25. turtleguru

turtleguru

Well done, guys. I've been watching the whole thing develop but never really bothered to post. However, I must say, well played. You almost convinced me that perhaps this wasn't such a bad idea after all...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)