1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Anti-Hax Formula: Curtain Call

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by DougJustDoug, Apr 1, 2009.

1. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I was considering posting a lot in the thread, but I decided that I should "stay in character". Promise to "look into it" but instead just debate about it on IRC (and then complain about how I prefer debating in forums).

I tried to frame the debate as "current hax formula" or "stronger hax formula" by putting myself on the side of "The hax formula doesn't overturn enough" so that I could debate with people who "support" it. We could easily ignore other opinions. I've found that if there are three positions, only debating one of the other two is a good way to shut down the third.
  2. Influxum

Influxum

Bastards! :P
  3. paramylodon

paramylodon

I'm gullible. I never had any doubt in my mind that it was completely legit, and I also supported it after reading about it.
    Great idea for a prank. I checked smogon this morning, and said to myself "smogon has an extremely lame and stupid April fools joke" after seeing the red herrings. Looks like I was wrong; this was brilliant.
  4. Jackal

Jackal I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

u
    n
    r
    e
    a
    l

tricking an entire community to perfection...doug why arent you playing mafia?? :p
  5. Bogmire

Bogmire

lol I was planning on quitting shoddy and smogon forever if the antihax formula was real.
  6. Eo Ut Mortus

Eo Ut Mortus Elodin Smells
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

That was excellent. Even now, the debates in PR seem real. The posting of the veterans was a bit suspicious, but even then, the whole thing was just well-performed. Kudos.
  7. MegaMewtwo

MegaMewtwo

For what it's worth, I saw one of those posts before they killed it, and I edited my post (which was above it) with a response, and they killed that too.
  8. Wakalord

Wakalord

THANK YOU, SOMEBODY ELSE! ~__~

This was pretty epic, I haven't seen this much care put into an April Fools Joke in....well, forever. Awesome job Smogonites!
  9. Mia

Mia

I tried to do this last night, no one was helping me along. I think I made chrisisme kind of mad though.
  10. Articuno64

Articuno64 1 to 63 were taken
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

This was a lot of fun everyone! The majority of people who saw my ridiculous post probably don't know me, but I promise I'm not actually an asshole...

Great vision, Doug.
  11. Blue Kirby

Blue Kirby Never back down.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

This was fantastic to be a part of. You're the man, Doug!

Nobody is going to know what's a joke and what isn't come next year. :)

EDIT: In retrospect, one of the coolest parts was the "White Knight" being sworn to "secrecy", and it turned out it was Noah. Brilliant!
  12. reachzero

reachzero the pastor of disaster
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I liked how Noah had a post count of 11, even though this was supposedly his first post, according to his profile. Conceivably you (Doug) had him post and delete specifically to reach that number?
  13. Erazor

Erazor ✓ Just Doug It
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Fucking brilliant, you fooled us all.

You're simply amazing, DougJustDoug!
  14. RBG

RBG But I keep cruising, can't stop, won't stop grooving.
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Facebook Manager

Apparently you can't get a badge if you have less than 10 posts, so doug had to give him fake posts in his post count to allow him to have the badge. (You've never seen gorm with 1,000,000+ posts have you lol)
  15. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

I'm sorry to say that I claim all credit for the idea of using Noah.
  16. Mosh

Mosh

brilliant

I almost was "the guy without PR acess who opened a topic complaing about the formula here" and I started to write it with something like: "I really hope this is a April's fool prank" but i didn't have time to finish it xD

Edit: wo translated tha first page? Google? It isn't very good. I'd do it if someone asked
  17. Kristoph

Kristoph

I thought this was pretty hilarious too
  18. Blue Kirby

Blue Kirby Never back down.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

The whole point of translating the front page was to steer peoples' attention away from the big reveal.
  19. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Actually, Noah is a real user. Just because you can't find his other 10 posts in his posting history doesn't mean they don't exist. There are hidden forums not all users (even regular mods!) can't read.
  20. auramaster

auramaster

This is by far the best prank I've ever seen. Amazing job to everyone involved!
    khz can lead the Mythology village if I die.
  21. Calciphoce

Calciphoce

very happy to have participated in this. nice work to everyone, especially doug.
  22. KnightoftheWind

KnightoftheWind
    is a Past WCoP Winner

That was an awesome prank. It seems every site in the world is doing some sort of prank this year.
  23. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I am now going to research for a real win formula...

...actually no I won't do that.

Great job everyone!

(The fake tier lists were also there to detract from the real joke.)
  24. Setrack

Setrack

you never trolled me, i had you all sussed from the beginning. i was the one trolling you
  25. AJC

AJC

hah i thought so. i knew something was fishy when certain people who i know wouldn't support such a thing started supporting it.

<--- this the odd behavior of some of the PR posts made me think something is fishy here.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)