1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Anti-Hax Formula: Curtain Call

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by DougJustDoug, Apr 1, 2009.

1. foibles

foibles

you guys are incredible. This is the kind of thing i like about smogon.
  2. yokie

yokie

effing brilliant
  3. Imran

Imran
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

I think the funniest part of this, for me, was Mekkah saying that he wished that the Platinum weather glitch thread was the April Fools joke. That one got me laughing!

I'm going to throw another giant congratulations to Doug here, because it was he who came up with the idea, and orchestrated the whole idea to perfection!
  4. Lady Bug

Lady Bug 銀時 ☆彡 King of the Dessert ☆彡 銀時
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Tbh, it was kinda obvious this was an April fools joke =/ because you guys never test 2 things at 1 time(we're already testing Manaphy so if this was real its gonna be tested after Manaphy lol), also it never worked for me, it always give the win for the guy who wins the battle... so yeah.

Its still funny that alot of people were bitching about this lol

Good job.
  5. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

6. Rave

Rave

That post was beyond retarded. (the one you linked to)

You really out-did yourselves this year. You had me fooled to the point where I PMed Lorak in his support! I considered checking the shoddy battle forums to see if you registered a secret server... and I'm glad I never bothered.

Bravo.
  7. Lorak

Lorak *leekspin*
    is an Artist Alumnus

I would've passed on the info, but... well, I preferred to protect anonymity. Thanks for the support, though! It was "tough" holding up against all that nonsense. I would probably share a similar sentiment as the one I expressed, to be honest, though I would... you know. Actually back up my arguments.
  8. Wes

Wes

Firestorm, that link is awesome. All the classical smogon-rants are there again(except smogon is gay :p). The people who say it is april fools are being rejected. I have to find more of these treads!
    EDIT: like this
    EDIT2: they did figure it out on the smashboards and had a great discussion with colin at the same time.
  9. Malfunction

Malfunction

This is truly brilliant. Good thing I was suspect laddering all day yesterday, I was like 'I'll have time for that hax clause test thingy.' But guess what...

Smogon will never cease to amaze me. Props to everybody who participated in this.
  10. 13Random37

13Random37

starting this fool a few days ago was a nice idea.
    so it was not to obsivious that it was just a joke ;D
    yea, kinda well played, and i'm sure, that there wont be so much people crying about hax after this =)
    awesome job, though
  11. Onii

Onii

Damn that PR thread was convincing (for the first two pages at least, it started to fall away afterwards). Kudos to everyone involved!

(and gfaqs is lol)
  12. kuja20

kuja20

Haha absolutely amazing. Can't believe I fell for this, then again, it was brilliantly disguised. Good Job everyone that was involved! Anti-Hax??? Really???

A round of applause is definitely needed.
  13. Lightsabre

Lightsabre

ROFL. I can't beleive this. I was actualy thinking something like this "If this goes on Suspect then ........" good job you guys. I guess I did fall for an April fools joke after all
  14. -Mind-

-Mind-

Amazing work, I thought all the time, why don't you have it on uu and ubers, wow this is really amazing.

cheers
  15. kuja20

kuja20

Actually, weren't the UU testing and Latias testing going on at the same time? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems to be tesing two things at the same time. It was believable, because Smogon knew how much people bitch about hax, and the thing they want most, is a solution. Duped everyone good at this one.
  16. Lady Bug

Lady Bug 銀時 ☆彡 King of the Dessert ☆彡 銀時
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Thats because its the UU tier, I meant they don't test 2 things in the same tier at one time; like testing Latias and Manaphy in the same time.
  17. Incarnation

Incarnation

Hands down the best pokémon-related prank I have seen so far. You got me as far as heavily discussing it with other non-smogon members, and with all the great arguements and complicated formula, the idea of an anti-hax formula almost made sense
  18. Fleursily34

Fleursily34

Man... i effing KNEW IT... I just backed off cuz I didn't have a PHD in math right hahaha.

Obviously no mathmatical calc's could determine how much hax would appear ANY battle, as its completely random...

Now seriously guis... make a hax clause XD
  19. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

i was playing off of my two mentions in the Latios voting stuff that I called Doug and discussed the logistics behind and future usages of the hidden requirement formula for over 40 minutes, which is true. but the specific conference call mention and the "working with math on a professional level for longer than many of you have even been playing pokemon" were pretty much the only things i actually "did", as everything else was just me following Doug's fantastic directions. i didn't have time to post as much as i wanted to but it didnt seem to hinder the joke's progress

the poker on #fluodome has nothing to do with any of this though i dont know why you mentioned it
  20. Kristoph

Kristoph

Nah you were talking somewhere about how "playing poker has made me stop caring about Pokemon hax" or something like that
  21. BlueCookies

BlueCookies April Fools 2009 Participant
    is a VGC 2012 Masters World Champion

When I was given access to IS, I was immediately drawn into Doug's elaborate April Fools prank. It was pure genius, and I was glad to be a part of it. I know there was one person fooled by it, whom I had a 30 minute aim conversation with about why this hax clause is god awful(among some other things), but I won't reveal who it was :p

I'm curious as to what other users thought about my thread, because I think it might have seen suspicious of the fact that the time length between mine and Tangerine's posts was pretty short. This could have been because I knew about the joke, but whatever.

Also, my ICBB status was indeed fake, although there were a few mixups which lasted a short while. Instead of being in bold, the bold tags were there for a little while. On the next day, I posted and my fake ICBB went away for about 15-20 minutes which could have tipped people off. Luckily I only posted in the Official Nintendo Tournament thread, where probably not too many people look on a regular basis, and those that do probably weren't concerned too much about this, or they were just oblivious to the whole prank. Thanks again for coming up with this prank Doug, it was really well though out and it worked great.
  22. zorbees

zorbees
    is a Forum Moderator

When I saw that, I was thinking about reporting Tangerine because the way he handled that thread was terrible, but me being lazy, nothing ever happened. It would have been funny though, since if I did report it, it would have been to Chaos who apparently wasn't involved with the prank.
  23. Voltron

Voltron

Bluecookies, that was my favorite part. It was hilarious for me to see Tangerine being such an elitist ass to you. Then once this thread was posted I immediately looked at that list for your name and didn't see it so I thought it was even more funny that you just got stuck in the crossfire. Of course that led to the disappointment of seeing that you were in on it in the next paragraph.

I really wish I would have been playing standard ladder and had the clause come into effect, rather than reading the post about it and realizing it was a joke. I think it would've fooled me then. Although I did rush to get one battle in before it was removed and even got my win overturned thanks to hax.

Great job everyone who was involved.
  24. Veles

Veles

Holy shit lol
  25. zocho

zocho

awesome job guys, bloody brilliant i say

although truth be told i was a bit disappointed it wasn't real

as a newbie battler whenever i get hax i dance with joy

anyways was totally fooled, gg

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)