1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Anti-Hax Formula Revealed

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Noah, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noah

Noah
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hello, I am Noah.

I rarely connect to these forums, but many of you probably know me for my constant presence as a moderator on the Smogon Shoddy Battle Server. On the server, I have a singular mission to prevent flooding in the mainchat. I carry out that mission with unwavering dedication.

I am now dealing with a flood of unprecendented magnitude on the server. It is a flood of complaints and questions regarding the new Anti-Hax Clause. I am here to put a stop to it. This post should answer all questions and quell all complaints. I will disclose the full details of the formula behind the Anti-Hax Clause.

After you see the formula, no one should have any further reason to complain. There should be no more questions as to why their battles were overturned. This post literally answers everything.

During the development of the formula, and in many responses to questions and complaints, the makers of the formula have repeatedly mentioned that all the functional components of the calculation are listed in the Policy Review thread where the formula has been developed over the past several weeks. I went to that thread and pulled the following two posts that clearly list the formula elements, along with descriptions. Here are link to the posts, if you want to verify them:

Post 1
    Post 2

Those two posts list the following elements in bold print. The information was posted publically a long time ago, and the posts have not been edited. We can safely assume that these are the key variables in the formula.
    Pokemon left standing at the end of the battle​

Rating probability of one player to beat the other player​

Offensive move status effects ​

Offensive move boosts ​

Lack of accuracy​

Lack of evasion​

Alternate Damage Accumulator​

Significant Critical Hits​

Item Hax​

Full Paralysis, Flinch, Infatuation, and Confusion Immobility​
    Although it was a bit obscured, the formula really was not secret at all. By using this public information, anyone could have determined the exact nature of the formula a long time ago.

Following common math convention, I will assign a letter to each variable of the formula. I will use the first letter of each element. I am aware that some letters are duplicated, but those duplicates are essential to uncovering the true details of the formula, as you will see below. I have taken the liberty of arranging the variables and inserting math operators where appropriate. Since the formula is used to determine the winner of a battle, the solution to this equation will be a variable called "WIN".

Please study this final formula carefully. Although deceptively simple, it actually explains EVERYTHING that has been going on in Smogon over the past several weeks regarding the anti-hax effort.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the true formula for a win on Smogon University:

((A + P) / R) * (I + L)) + ((F + O + O) / (L * S)) = WIN

As they say in math -- I think that sums it up!
  2. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

lol

and we were having so much fun...
  3. Hazerider

Hazerider

thank you for your time ladies and gentlemen

the artists will not be giving autographs
  4. Tangerine

Tangerine Where the Lights Are
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Hat tip to DJD for the greatest prank ever.

It's been a blast <3
  5. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

**!WHAT!**? You mean this wasn't real?
  6. reachzero

reachzero the pastor of disaster
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Seconding Tangerine's props to DougJustDoug, the idea was truly phenomenal. I would also like to congratulate user foibles on catching the inconsistencies between my signature and my role. :P Also, special thanks to Lemmiwinks and Blame Game for giving all of Smogon's sane users (not us) someone to root for!
  7. RBG

RBG It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Facebook Manager

WOoooooo! It's been fun lying to you all!

Thanks for agreeing with this nonsensical idea everyone who did (those who knew and didn't know)
  8. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)