ORAS UU The Arena

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena."
- Theodore Roosevelt

What is up, Smogon. My name is Nightingales, also sometimes known as Eyasluna on Showdown, and I am here to present another one of my memes. This iteration comes from a couple of DPP Tours, taking a few of my shithead friends and I into account to create some living hell for a load of people. This is one of the more offensive teams I've ever come up with, though not 100% there, and it focuses upon two very unexpected and sometimes very scary versions of otherwise scary threats in the meta; Sub Calm Mind Entei and Swords Dance Mega Sceptile.

There's not much to say about the teambuilding, to be honest. Things just kinda fell together; Sub CM Entei was the focal point of the team, and so I knew off the bat I'd have hazards issues. So I came up with Empoleon to defog things, though with a faster defog than normal. Up next came SD Sceptile, more so to create a nice F/W/G core, something I always liked building around and making it suited for offense. The fourth member and my best bet at stallbreaking is Krookodile, also providing a Hazards Setter, and a way to stop things like Blissey from having an absolute field day and Toxic'ing everything. Sky Plate Crobat was next, providing a backup defogger and something that can do a bit more damage, as well as providing a solid fairy-switch in that's not special. The last mon was a Scarf Hydreigon, something I decided on mostly because I suddenly remembered a mini-tutoring session with King himself, telling me to use Scarf Hydreigon, and considering I still hilariously lost to fast things like Mega Aerodactyl, it seemed like a good idea to add some speed.

So everything came together pretty nicely, at least letting me win two tournaments in a row as well as give plenty of people a nightmare with bringing back memories of the DPP Days.

Entei @

Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 132 HP / 228 SpA / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Lava Plume
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Starting off with the original meme itself, Sub CM Entei is actually a way to decimate some unprepared teams. If Blissey switches in on a Calm Mind if I already have a sub up, I can actually beat it 1v1, and this happens more often than not after I reveal Calm Mind, since who would bring a Blissey in on what they think is Physical? This can also beat things like Suicune or Swampert after a boost, due to Grass-Type coverage. The IVs are to do two things; Provide 101 HP Substitutes, and to hit 300 Speed with a Timid Nature. The rest is put into Special Attack, since that would make sense considering it's a special attacker, though putting it into defense could help me take some physical hits that might otherwise break the sub.

Empoleon @

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Grass Knot
Fast offensive defog Empoleon, doing the one thing that should never do- being fast. It does a weird job of being a speedy defogger that actually halfway checks some ground types due to Shuca, though it can't switch in at all. That helps to 1v1 some Rockers such as Krookodile and Mamoswine, and also provides a minor check to Mega Aerodactyl if Shuca is intact. Though it tends to still take a load of damage, it can do other things too. Being a defogger that can ohko more common Rockers is an invaluable asset, since things like Lead Mamoswine and Krookodile are a menace. This also serves as a primary check to Salamence, since nothing it commonly carries bar a +2 Earthquake can OHKO and it dies horribly to Ice Beam.

Sceptile-Mega @

Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
The unwallable SD Mega Sceptile. It is very easily walled, despite that title, but it still can wreck unprepared teams. If something has Florges as the primary Dragon Check, and switches in, after Rocks a +2 becomes an absolute menace to a metric assload of UU due to Grass being the public enemy number one of Bulky Waters everywhere. Add that to a great speed tier, and Sceptile has become an amazingly fun thing to use. Sad thing is that it has problems actually wallbreaking, and thus is probably better off being used to clean a weakened team instead of straight-up 6-0'ing something, unless they're something like mono-water. (Looking at you, Euphonos. I haven't forgotten.)

Krookodile @

Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Taunt
This is not generation 5. I've been told that many times. Rocks are important. Knock Off is also important. Something that provides utility and two of the best moves in the game in addition to giving me a way to stop fat, stallier things like Umbreon and Cresselia from simply healing up on my face since I don't really have many ways to reliably break through them if I can't taunt them. So Krookodile is more or less perfect, as it gives me a way to stop recovery, both active and passive. It also hits decently hard, and gives me a small bit of utility instead of breaking everything down by sheer force like I tend to do. Not to mention the fact that Intimidate is incredibly helpful.

Crobat @

Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
Normally, Crobat on my teams doesn't play much of an aggressive role, especially not as a Defogger. But Sky Plate Crobat is just too good to pass up as is, especially since it can do some amazing damage to things like Sylveon which think they're being clever with their specs Hyper Voice. It also is my catch-all fighting resist, since I don't have one of those and I'm ungodly weak to them without a Crobat. My best bet for 90% is just being lucky. Good thing I'm the queen of Hax. Otherwise, Sky Plate is to just max out on damage without locking me into Band which helps because Roosting off damage is always useful.

Hydreigon @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
This is your typical Scarf Hydreigon set. 9/10 times, It's for gaining momentum and killing something fast. The other 1 time, I use it to just revenge something that I put at low health, which can happen a lot. There is the tiny issue of Draco Meteor not being too spammable, but that doesn't matter too much unless there's an enemy Slurpuff, in which case I never click that move because I lack priority and that thing gets out of hand very quickly. There's not much else to say about it; Scarfdreigon is pretty self-explanatory.

Right here is where I'd normally put some shoutouts. Sadly, I've made way too many friends around here to be able to properly do them. I'm not lazy, just have too many people to actually give thanks to before I go out and start my life for realsies.

Anyways, this is my last RMT on the site for a while. Most people know I'm enlisted and head off to Basic within two weeks, and another 36 weeks after that torture will be my intelligence training, so I don't plan on having much downtime.

So for everybody that I've ever had help me on here, it's much appreciated. This isn't a team that is exactly out there for being super serious and I'm certainly not looking for any awards, but this is more or less a showpiece for people that wanna look at how I was before I left to the real world.

So thank you, everybody. Stay kicking.
- Night

Entei @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 132 HP / 228 SpA / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Lava Plume
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Grass Knot

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Crobat @ Sky Plate
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Since this is so nicely formatted I think it deserves at least one rate - I highly suggest you messaging one of those people who have "rates UU teams" in their signature. I'm not good at rating non stall teams, but I'll try anyways.

First of all for the rate, I would say 7/10 out of effectiveness mainly because you were able to integrate surprising sets into a standardish offensive team.

Second, weaknesses I notice include

1) Mega Aerodactly is hard for you to switch into
2) Double Defog looks a tad redundant
3) Curse Lax and CM Cressy and slow boosters in general look hard to deal with

Changes to fix these weaknesses

1) Entei's set is hard for me to justify...it does not beat much that standard Entei does not already beat as far as I can tell except Alomomola and Swampert - one of which is not even UU and the other already hates Sacred Fire burns / you already have great Swampert responses (Hydreigon, Sceptile, Grass Knot Empoleon). I would just make it the standard band which helps a bit versus CM Cressy so it cannot set up on you. Plus it gives you priority which is nice for offense and stops a potential for example Sharpedo sweep.

2) I really like Milotic over Empoleon. Basically Milotic is a one woman stall team that gives you good answer to the vast majority of slow boosters - Snorlax, Cresselia, Suicune and Reuniclus included, all of which you seem a bit weak to. It even counters Mamoswine and Entei and Mega Aero which nothing on your team really wants to switch in on and does not need Heal Bell support because of Marvel Scale (although bad poison is to be avoided obviously still). Milotic is a great glue choice for all but the most offensive play styles and I see it working for you - particularly as you have U-turn Crobat and Scarf Hydreigon to scare Celebi. Although not resisting Dragon Sylveon still beats Hydreigon (sadly Haxorus beats it now and may be used more with Salamence gone). I think Entei and Crobat should be sufficient for Fairy resists, particularly as Sceptile can lure them in as well.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Bold: 248 HP 252 Def 8 Spe (for neutral base 50s)
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Haze
-Recover

3) Normally I would highly recommend Jolly Crobat to catch other Crobats, Adamant Gyarados (I think), Modest Scarf Chandelure (but you do have Hydreigon) but as of right now I cannot think of how that would help too much as opposed to doing more damage to Sylveon. But at least consider Infiltrator to first annoy Sub users like Sub Seed Whimsicott and also to have a better fight against Screens offense.

I hope my rate makes your team better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)