The Artwork for Tournaments Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

--Artwork for Tournaments Thread #2--
approved by zracknel

[The original Artwork for Tournaments Thread]

This post was originally written by Zracknel. Read post #2 for further explanation.

Hello! Let's get right to the point, Smeargle's Studians: I need your help. Even if you cannot draw, or even if you've never posted before, I need your help. Read on.

For the past few eons, I've been doing artwork for Smogon's tournaments. It hasn't been a super-consistent thing, and boy golly gee willikers has it been unorganized. Users generally just ask me for stuff and I try to get it done in time. Sometimes it works out fine, but other times it's miserable and tragic when I can't pull through.

But there's no reason why it should just be me taking these things on. Anyone who wants to help should be able to. So that's where this thread comes in: there are tons of tournaments in need of artwork, and I want to bridge the gap between those who can benefit from this kind of help and those who are capable of doing it. Artwork for tournaments. Let's make it happen.

Can you lend a hand?

Here's a few things I'm NOT looking for:

- You do not need to be a pro artist or anything close to that. That said, this artwork will be used to represent the site. Lots of people join our tournaments without an understanding of what Smogon is or what we do. Tournaments, for many users, are a gateway into our community. Let's do our best to make a good first impression.

- You might know me as that guy who does logos. You do NOT need to do logos to help (but they are certainly welcome).

- You do not need to be a typography ace to help. You do not need to use typography or lettering AT ALL. Cool images are more than enough. If a tournament absolutely needs some cool typography to go on top of an image you've made and typography is not your thing, I'll probably do it. Images are way more important.

- You also do not need to finish work to post it in this thread. PLEASE flood this thread with WIPs, sketches, scribbles, discussion, helpful critique for others, and feedback if you can. The goal is that we have cool stuff when all is said and done, and we are in this together. No need to spend a million hours refining something you're unsure of. When in doubt, share early, share often.

- Following that, you do not need to work alone. If you'd like to collaborate with another artist or artists (doing lines, colors, effects, or anything else) you are invited to do so as long as everyone involved is cool with it. Artists who would like help, please feel free to link to your documents in this thread.

- You do not even need to do your own artwork. Read this section carefully.

Smogon has a lot of committed and lovely artists who have done a lot of excellent work over the years. If you've got some photoshop skills and want to marry some of that work to some cool typography or effects, you have my blessings and encouragement.

HOWEVER, pay attention, because there are a crapload of rules for artists not using original work:

- The golden rule: permission is a must. If you don't have permission, I don't care how eye-popping the final result is-- it isn't going to get used, period.

- If you're pulling images of pokemon from anywhere, they gotta be from here. Only artists who have made an art thread in smeargle's studio are elligible for you to pull from. Additionally, any pieces in question must have been posted here on our forums (so no pulling from other sites or any of that). When you post work like this, you MUST link to the post(s) your source image(s) came from. If you don't, I promise I will punch you. If I find out you don't have permission, your post is getting deleted and you risk an infraction. I'm serious, don't do it.

- You will get credit for doing stuff like this, but your name is coming second. The original artist is going to get the lion's share of the credit for this type of thing, so don't be surprised.

- You will be held to completely different standards when it comes to the possibility of being badged. Expect it to be significantly more difficult. Just putting that out there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rewards

There WILL be rewards for helping out. If you don't have an art badge and contribute enough of the stuff that we're looking for, I will fight to get you a badge.

If you already have a badge, consider that most tournament threads get hundreds if not thousands of views. Talk to me and we'll see if we can't promote your work further in some way.

If you contribute thoughtful, consistent, and experienced critique that can help our artists improve (both in this thread and elsewhere in the studio) you might see yourself nominated for a community contributor badge.

If you do work that we end up using, expect me to treat you like a champion. Your name will be emblazoned in gold letters in this thread forever. We will collectively be one step closer to me not crying myself to sleep at night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So that's our introduction. Now for the assignments.

Earthworm and the tournament organizers have hooked me up with the rules and a suggested art direction for almost every tournament that is currently in the tournaments queue.

NOTES:

- Art direction is NEVER set in stone; if you have a better idea than what's listed, you are encouraged to do that instead.

- That said, keep in mind the tournament's organizer is going to have a voice when it comes to selecting artwork in the case of multiple submissions. The other voices will consist of me and other willing studio mods and tournament directors who wish to participate. We'll be choosing among any pieces submitted, and we may very well use multiple pieces of art that are submitted!

- Deadlines on these are wild, unpredictable beasts. Tournaments go up after other tournaments end. Tournaments end when people play their matches. People play their matches when they feel like it. A lot of these tasks have no concrete due date but will include some kind of estimate for when work is needed by.

- If you want to help, please do whatever you want to do, but just keep in mind I'll be sweating bullets and freaking out when I see urgent assignments not getting done, so if you feel like it, please consider starting there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MASTER ASSIGNMENT LIST*

The most urgent assignments are listed first. The other assignments are listed in the order that I received them.
"Format" Refers to the basic format of the tournament, but please read the tournament rules for details!

Tournament name: Mentor Mini-Tournaments
Host: Redew
Project priority: Normal
Format: OU (but it will be series of tournaments so it doesn't matter)
Tournament Rules: Standard.
Art Direction:
<+FireMage> I'd say OU mon helping it's pre-evo
<+FireMage> like a lucario showing riolu how to do an aura

Tournament name: The 3-Mon Tournament III
Host: Ruppy
Format:
XY OU
Tournament Rules: Best of Three, 3v3 Singles
Art Direction: It's kind of obvious that 3 is the magic number here. Basically, I'm thinking there should be three of everything (except the tourney title, unless you can make something work that way) for whatever you use. I was thinking of something using three interlocked triangles (or a Triforce if you want and it's allowed) with three Pokémon coming out of the center of it together. I'm not picky on what Pokés you choose, though if it helps try thinking of three XY OU Pokémon that together form an effective team core.

Tournament name: The #UUSF Tournament
Host: Oglemi
Project priority: Low
Format:
ADV UU
Tournament Rules: Standard ADV UU, Bo3
Art Direction: Any ADV UU mon you want to depict. The name of the tournament comes from one of the longest-standing "cliques" or groups on Smogon to have existed, #uusf being the IRC channel. Camerupt, Walrein, Vileplume, Nidoking/Nidoqueen all good choices.

Heyo Smeargle Artists. Doubles has started a year-long doubles tournament circuit, and I was wondering if you guys can offer spiffy banners to decorate the many doubles tournaments to come. The circuit composes of 8 minitours, 2 seasonals, and 1 major. Those who racked up 100+ points from participating in these tournaments will be invited in an Invitational, where the victor will be determined. Pwnemon explains about this program best here.

If anybody can offer artwork that we can use in these tournaments, that would be swell. Common Pokemon of Doubles include Landorus-T, Togekiss, Rotom-W, and (Mega) Kangaskhan if that will get you started. Since this is an ambitious project with a prize on the line (atm the winner gets a custom banner), it would be awesome if we can have an awesome manly banner like Zracknel's OST Logo, but I am pretty much open about the art direction here

For Pocket, Level 51 and others organizing this, doubles is awesome. I also have a hi res version if you want

Tournament name: The Sunset Colosseum
Project priority: Low
Format
: XY OU
Tournament Rules: Standard XY OU, 6v6 from pool of 12 randomized Pokemon
Art Direction: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sunset_Colosseum For reference, this is what the tournament is based off of. I'm open to any kind of interpretation for a banner tbh, thanks in advance!!

Sorry for poor and messy design - was kinda in a rush

xxx

Tournament name: Sabotage!
Host: FireMage
Format:
XY OU
Tournament Rules: Players who have lost ban their opponents from using an increasing number of pokémon in future rounds.
Art Direction: I'd like to see some sort of Dark-type theme - I have no real ideas myself but I'd like to see what you come up with.
FireMage -
Edit: Finished
I'm, sorry Agous because you already made a logo, but this joke could not be resisted

parts of the image used from this link: http://static3.businessinsider.com/...ny-fighting-the-beastie-boys-has-given-up.jpg
(no copyright infringement blah blah blah)

also bonus points if you can name the beastie playing the actor playing the charecter

Tournament name: Home Field Advantage III
Host: Dubby
Format:
XY OU, Ubers, UU
Tournament Rules: The tournament runs in a season-based format, with groups and weekly opponents. The "home" player of the matchup chooses the tier to be played.
Art Direction: Something similar to the Pokemon Stadium in SSBM or SSBB would be nice, but I'll accept almost anything really.
It has been almost 4 months since I have really had time do anything design related. School has been keeping me hostage. Turned out more simplistic then I wanted it to. :( I think the idea gets across.
View attachment 12468

Tournament name: XY ubers tour
Host: Haruno
Format:
XY Ubers
Tournament Rules: Standard bo3, single elimination tournament with standard uber rules and clauses
Art Direction: Something that represents the ubers tier would be best. More specifically if possible xerneas with some representation of power herb somewhere and anything else will be up to the artist. I'll accept almost anything really and thanks for your time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tournament Artwork Scoreboard!

I want to keep track of everyone who has made a completed submission so far, and everyone who has had a victorious submission!

Victory points are awarded to artists whose work is used for a tournament!
Submission points are awarded to any artist that makes a completed, non-WIP submission for a tournament!
In the case of collabs, all artists involved share victory and submission points.
Scores are henceforth updated whenever submissions are closed for a tournament.

1. Bummer[victory points: 5] [submission score: 6]

2. elcheeso [victory points: 4][submission score: 5]

3. Juicy Fruit[victory points: 2] [submission score:4]

Scepticallistic [victory points: 2][submission score:2]

DragoniteKnight [victory points: 1][submission score:2]

Raikou00 [victory points: 1][submission score:2]
Ium [victory points: 1] [submission score:1]
Rittercat [victory points: 2] [submission score:2]

McMeghan [victory points: 1] [submission score:1]

Bluehoundoom[submission score:6]

Furosuto[submission score:2]

Rocket Grunt[submission score:1]

Eagle4 [submission score:1]

Kythro [submission score:1]

You are my champions and I adore you all <3333
Bear with me as your gold emblazoned letters are on their way~~

THREAD RULES

Time will tell if these are good rules. I'll change them if they aren't working out.

- Don't reserve stuff. If you want to do something, do it. You are encouraged to post sketches and roughs, so please share as many as you want to.

- If someone did something and you think you can do better, do it. You aren't a dick for doing this. There are no hard feelings. Our ultimate goal is cool tournament images, and literally every effort helps, even if it doesn't feel that way.
- The judging committee (if you can call it that) will pick artwork judged to be best at the deadline in the case of multiple submissions. It is definitely possible for more than one piece of artwork to be chosen to represent a tournament!
- If, on the other hand, nobody does artwork we can use for a tournament, that tournament doesn't get to have artwork. Smogon's attack stats will decrease. I will cry myself to sleep another night.
- Participate as much as you want to. If you want to do artwork for every single tournament, then you're insane, but you're also my hero.
- Ask questions in this thread if you have them. Either I or someone else will answer them.

HALL OF FAME (AND FINISHED PROJECTS!)

We've finished some projects and done some cool stuff! Listed below are our finished assignments and all completed submissions to each project!

Ultra thanks to everyone who submitted artwork!

Tournament Name: OU Cavalry: BW Edition
Host: Sayonara
Project Priority: FINISHED! (Sign-Ups Posted Sept 14th, 2012)
Format:
BW UU
Tournament rules: The OU Cavalry BW Edition is a BW UU tournament in which a specific OU pokemon is allowed to be used, the pokemon being different in each round.
Art Direction: "I guess you could put an OU pokemon unleashing terror on a bunch of UU mons. Thanks!"
Winning Submission(s): elcheeso

Other Submissions:
Kythro
Juicy Fruit
Bluehoundoom
Rittercat

Tournament Name: #Pokemon Tournament
Hosts: mostwanted
Project Priority:FINISHED (Artwork Went up Sept 8th, 2012)
Format: BW OU
Tournament Rules: Prior to this tournament, visitors to smogon's #pokemon IRC channel created a pool of 24 teams to be used for the competition. Each round, competitors in this tournament are given a choice between two teams randomly selected from the pool to use. The options available to them are public, as are the options of their opponents. Competitors are highly encouraged to use the #pokemon channel to discuss and prepare for battle, so IRC plays a crucial role in this tournament.
Art Direction: None Specified
Winning Submission(s): Bummer

Tournament Name: Pass the Trash II
Hosts: Steven Snype, Mithril
Project Priority:FINISHED (Artwork went up September 14th, 2012)
Format: BW OU
Tournament Rules: Pass the trash is a variation of a poker game in which two players swap one card/Pokemon without knowing what the other player has.
Art Direction: "Something like the yugioh card 'exchange' or a pokemon trade is what I have in mind for concept art"
Winning Submission(s): DragoniteKnight

Other Submissions:
Rocket Grunt
Eagle4

Tournament Name: The Tournament of Goodfellas
Host: Umby
Project Priority:FINISHED (Artwork went up September 18th, 2012)
Format: Multi-Gen
Tournament Rules: This is a RBY/GSC/ADV 3-man team tournament. Three players, each playing a different generation, face off against other teams of three players.
Art Direction: "I named it after the movie, Goodfellas, so some sort of gangster theme would be choice." Extra Art Direction shared by Bummer in this post.
Winning Submission(s):
Bummer

Bummer & elcheeso

Juicy Fruit

Tournament Name: Black/White 2 Walkthrough Tournament
Hosts:
RBG
Project Priority:FINISHED (Artwork went up Oct 6th, 2012)
Format:
Special (see below)
Tournament Rules: This is a walkthrough tournament: each round will restrict competitors to only using items and pokemon that are available at a certain point in the game. Each round the restrictions will change as the competitors progress, mimicking a play-through the main game of black/white 2.
Winning Submission(s): Scepticallistic

Other Submissions:
Juicy Fruit

Tournament Name: NO-Weather Ubers
Host: Harsha
Project priority:FINISHED (Artwork went up Oct 9th, 2012)
Format:
BW Ubers
Tournament Rules: Standard BW Ubers, minus weather inducers (Kyogre, Groundon, Tyranitar, etc...)
Art Direction: "I'd appreciate if the art could be something along the lines of a sad Groudon, Kyogre, Tyranitar, and the like."
Winning Submission(s): Juicy Fruit

Tournament name: Offstat Tournament
Host: Level 51
Project priority:FINISHED (Artwork went up Oct 20th, 2012)
Format:
BW OU
Tournament Rules:
(a) Each of your Pokemon's two attack stats must have a difference of at least 50 between them (e.g. Scizor is allowed, Zapdos isn't), and more importantly,
(b) Your Pokemon's attacking moves must utilise their lower attack stat.
(e.g. Focus Blast/Fire Blast/Hyper Beam/HP Ice Machamp is allowed,
Focus Blast/Fire Blast/Giga Impact/HP Ice Machamp is not)

Art Direction: None specified
Winning Submission(s): RitterCat

Other Submissions:
bluehoundoom

Tournament Name: DPP OU: Forgotten Year
Host: Steven Snype
Project Priority:FINISHED (Artwork went up Oct 26th, 2012)
Format:
DPP OU (Gen IV)
Tournament rules: Standard DPP OU, but with salamence and latias allowed
Art Direction: "any art featuring latias and/or salamence would be great"
Winning Submission(s): McMeghan (with the help of sandshrewz and Orugos!)

Other Submissions:
Furosuto
bluehoundoom

Tournament Name: 3-mon Tournament
Host: Chieliee
Project Priority: FINISHED (Artwork went up Oct 21st, 2012)
Format:
BW OU
Tournament Rules: "It'll be much like the Battle Tower, where instead of 6v6, the games are played 3v3. Pretty simple"
Art Direction: "I've been thinking about having one big mon hold two smaller ones. of course, these must all be somewhat competetive and it'd be great if they fit in the same playstyle. Another possibility is to depict a battle scene, with three mons on each side, much like a triple battle. Even though it's technically not correct, i think it'll be nice or something idk"

Other Submissions:
Furosuto

Tournament Name: ADVanced Users Only
Host: McMeghan
Project Priority:FINISHED (Artwork went up Oct 28th, 2012)
Format:
ADV (Gen III) Multi-Tier
Tournament Rules: "My tournament will be an ADV Bo3 tour. The players will play in UU, OU and Uber."
Art Direction: "My request is pretty simple, using a artwork each round picturing one Pokemon of each ADV Tier, using the red, blue and green color (Ruby/Saphir/Emerald).

Other Submissions:
DragoniteKnight

Tournament Name: Stat Specialization Tournament II
Host: yaya0
Project Priority: FINISHED (Artwork went up Oct 30th, 2012)
Format:
BW OU
Tournament Rules: "The tournament is 'standard' OU, but the gimmick is that each round, a specific base stat is chosen and the only Pokemon allowed during that round are those whose highest base stat is the one chosen."
Winning Submission(s): Scepticallistic

Tournament name: the Monotype Tournament
Host: Espeon65
Project priority:FINISHED
Format:
BW OU
Tournament Rules: This tournament requires entrants to have an entire team of pokemon that share a single type-- dual-types are allowed where applicable. However, there's a twist: Espeon65 will privately contact all entrants to the tournament prior to battle and inform them of the type they have to use. Entrants will have to build their own teams well-- and prepare for the unknown types of their opponents
Art Direction (courtesy of Espeon65): "Maybe a team of 6 pokemon of the same type, or 3. Or maybe two teams of differently-typed pokemon battling. If anyone has another idea, they can use it, too."
Other Submissions:
hichez
raikou00
CBMeadow
Winning Submission(s):Pkrs

Tournament Name: Random Pokemon Tournament V
Host: Rodan
Project Priority: FINISHED
Format:
BW2 Special; see below
Tournament Rules: "think of it like the battle factory [where you are given random pokemon from across tiers, unevolved pokemon as well] but instead of picking 3 out of 6 [like in the factory] you pick 6 out of 7"
Art Direction: "my idea for the banner would be a version of me; either human or pterosaur drawing pokemon names from something like a hat or a bingo spinner or something "
(pictures of Rodan can be seen here.)
Other Submissions:
Bluehoundoom
Furosuto
Winning Submission(s):Bummer

Tournament Name: Home Field Advantage II
Host: Dubby
Project Priority:FINISHED
Format:
BW2 Special; see below
Tournament Rules: "My tournament allows the "home" player (each player is PM'd their schedule at the beginning of the season) to choose the tier that is to be played. The standard 3 that the away player cannot reject are BW OU, BW Ubers, and BW UU. The home player can suggest to play a different tier, but the away player must approve as well. So yeah, no specific tier is involved.
Winning Submission(s): raikou00

Tournament Name: NU: Back to the Future
Host: Django
Format:
NU Cross-Gen Special; see below
Tournament Rules: "this is a best of three tournament involving BW2 NU, DPP NU, and ADV NU"
Art Direction: " for potential ideas, anything involving the movie Back to the Future would be neat, and likewise a few key Pokemon from each tier (ADV NU - Flareon, Hitmonchan, Tangela. DPP NU - Charizard, Gligar. BW2 NU - Braviary, Amoonguss, Golurk. If you want any more information just let me know."
Winning Submission(s): Juicy Fruit

Tournament name: FUK FERRO Tournament
Host: Iconic
Format:
BW UBERS
Tournament Rules: This Tournament is pretty straightforward: regular BW Ubers, except Ferrothorn is banned!
(You may choose to omit the profanity from this tournament's title if that's not your thing)
Other Submissions:
Bluehoundoom
Juicy Fruit
Winning Submission(s): RitterCat

Tournament Name: UU All Generation Tournament
Host:
AuraRayquaza
Format:
UU Multi-Generation;
Tournament Rules: "Each round a certain generation is picked and all battles will be done in UU of that generation. The last 4 will do their rounds as a best of 5 in all UU generations."
Art Direction: "i was thinking something like having a blastoise with sprites from all 5 gens and having a *cool* background. im no good at that kind of stuff so if you could come up with some ideas that would be great."
Other Submissions:
Bluehoundoom
ThatsMyLatios

Tournament Name: 2012 Tournament Tour
Hosts:FireMage, Django, SethZiBritannia
Project priority: FINISHED
Format:
Special, see below
Tournament Rules: This tournament is a revisit of some of the Tournaments of 2012-- each round will be a match taken out of a different tournament from the past!
Art Direction: "Here's the list of tournaments. I'm quite content for the artists to have free reign over the art direction. See what they can do with it!"
- The EO's Propostion Tournament
- The Helping Hand Tournament
- The Single Pokémon Tournament
- The Unscrupulous Tiering Director
- Tournament of Thieves
- The Adherence Tournament
- Mirror Match
(I'll make sure these link to past tournaments when I get the chance-- in the meantime, please see the Tournament Listing for details on these tournaments)
Winning Submission(s): ium

Tournament Name: BW2 OU Team Tournament
Host
: FireMage
Format:
BW2 OU
Tournament Rules: "Players are put into teams of 5 and are at risk of being subbed out if they lose - substituting is mandatory unless they all win - They must get their new member from the opposing team."
Art Direction : "Ideally a group of 5 trainers (I'll leave it up to artists discretion if they base them on trainer classes / protagonists or if they want to make them generic) holding their hands over a Pokéball like a Football team would before a game."
Other Submissions:
Bluehoundoom

Tournament Name: The Neverused Story
Format:
ADV / DPP / BW1 / BW 2 NU
Tournament Rules:
The Tour starts off as ADV NU, then progresses through each gen's NU Metagame (ADV - > DPP ->BW1 --> BW1/2 --> BW2 (now)) All are standard matches with no twist or gimmick.
Art Direction: I was thinking of an old worn out book, with classic nu mons from each gen etched onto the cover. I also think that a parody of the Movie, "The Neverending Story" could suffice.

Tournament name: Same Type Tourney II
Format:
BW2 OU
Tournament Rules: Each Pokemon can only use moves that share a type with said Pokemon.
Art Direction:the Words STAB Mania One looking like Ice, the other looking like Lava with a Fire/Ice Pokémon looking smug either side of the words as if to show that they'd froze/created lava pools which formed the words from their STAB attacks.
Winner:@andrew3391

Tournament Name: BW RU meets DPP UU
Format:
BW2 RU w/ drops
Tournament Rules: The tournament takes place in BW2 RU but every round drops more Pokemon that used to be in DPP UU into RU.
Art Direction: Nothing specific, would like to have a Pokemon prominently featured from each of BW RU and DPP UU "meeting" each other, however the artist wants to interpret that
.Winner:@andrew3391

Tournament Name:The Ghosting Tournament
Host: @FireMage @Ginku (If he comes back)
Format:
BW2OU
Tournament Rules: The tournament allows teams of three to battle one another and "ghost" (give advice/make moves) their team mates
Art Direction: Maybe a Trio of ghost types, two whispering into the thirds "ear".
WINNER: Blue Frog

Tournament Name: Pick of the Pools
Host: Eagle4
Format:
BW2 OU
Tournament Rules: Choose a pokemon from 6 different pools each round to create your team.
Art Direction: I'd like 6 pokemon in the artwork, preferably varying in tiers (excluding Uber pokemon).
WINNER: Magistrum

Tournament name: Corsola Cup II
Format:
ADV NU
Art Direction: A really cute Corsola plz!! :3

Tournament name: Good Old Days Tournament
Format:
RBY OU
Art Direction: Literally does not matter; however, some of the big names of RBY should be present in some fashion: Tauros, Chansey, Exeggutor, Alakazam, Slowbro, Golem/Rhydon, Starmie, Gengar, Zapdos are the really big ones.

Tournament Name: Doubles Doubles Tournament
Host: Audiosurfer
Format:
Smogon Doubles
Tournament Rules: People are randomly put into pairs and compete against other pairs in the tournament
Art Direction: I was thinking of two common Doubles pokemon, one trying to help the other w/ some support move or something (like maybe Cresselia using Helping Hand to boost another Poke's attack or Jirachi using Follow Me to redirect a hit or something) As long as it shows two Pokemon commonly used in Doubles though I'm open to changes if this is too hard to get down

Tournament Name: BW UU Tournament
Host:WhiteQueen
Format:
BW2 UU
Tournament Rules: Best of three BW UU tournament.
Art Direction: Please have Abomasnow in the artwork. Other than that, it's up to the artist's decision.

Tournament Name: No More Legends
Host: GCSChris
Format:
OU
Tournament Rules: Tournament in which all legendary Pokemon and all of the 6 pseudo legendary Pokemon are banned.
Art Direction: Anything that represents this difference from the standard OU meta game would be appreciated

Tournament name: Battle Factory Tour
Format:
BW2 OU
Tournament Rules: Each user will be given a selection of 6 Pokemon and will have to swap out any weak links in order to create the strongest team possible from their fallen foes to progress through the tour.
Art Direction: Anything with the Battle Factory Head - Thorton in would do nicely. Maybe an exchange of Pokémon going on.

Tournament name:Helping Hand tour
Host: FireMage / Lady Salamence
Format:
BW2 OU
Tournament Rules: Users can only use submitted sets from the other participants to build teams to go through the tours with. Only sets submitted may be used.
Art Direction: We was both thinking - something with Latios/Latias asthey're often seen as parallels (and are both competitiely viable.)

Tournament name: Sky Battle Tournament
Host: starwarsfan
Format:
XY Pokebank OU
Tournament Rules: Only pokemon with levitate or flying type and not on this list are allowed.
Art Direction: I'd love two legal, viable Pokemon battling in the air while flying, but I don't really care.

Tournament name: The 3-Mon Tournament III
Host: Ruppy
Format:
XY OU
Tournament Rules: Best of Three, 3v3 Singles
Art Direction: It's kind of obvious that 3 is the magic number here. Basically, I'm thinking there should be three of everything (except the tourney title, unless you can make something work that way) for whatever you use. I was thinking of something using three interlocked triangles (or a Triforce if you want and it's allowed) with three Pokémon coming out of the center of it together. I'm not picky on what Pokés you choose, though if it helps try thinking of three XY OU Pokémon that together form an effective team core.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading! My deepest thanks to anyone who participates in this project![/hide]

Last edited:
Artists, romans, countrymen...

In the interest of perpetuating Artwork for Tournaments, I have transferred ownership of this thread to raikou00. While I will still be here to assist with this project, raikou00 is currently in charge of everything related to this thread.

raikou00 has participated in Artwork for Tournaments in the past and repeatedly filled my inbox very graciously offered to pick up the baton and run with this thread. There are a lot of moving parts to keep track of, and I'm grateful to raikou00 for taking on the challenge of keeping things together!

We've had some really awesome art made for our tournaments since this project was started. My hope is that anyone interested will consider helping our tournaments forum (and site itself) look better!

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Tournament Name:The Ghosting Tournament
Host: @FireMage @Ginku (If he comes back)
Project priority: High - in progress
Format:
BW2OU
Tournament Rules: The tournament allows teams of three to battle one another and "ghost" (give advice/make moves) their team mates
Art Direction: Maybe a Trio of ghost types, two whispering into the thirds "ear".
might as well try this

EDIT: oh crap, i spelled "tournament" wrong. I'll fix it right now. fixed

Last edited:

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Tournament Name: BW RU meets DPP UU
Project priority: Low-ish
Format:
BW2 RU w/ drops
Tournament Rules: The tournament takes place in BW2 RU but every round drops more Pokemon that used to be in DPP UU into RU.
Art Direction: Nothing specific, would like to have a Pokemon prominently featured from each of BW RU and DPP UU "meeting" each other, however the artist wants to interpret that.
clefable kabutops ru meets uu.png

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kabutops still is in BW RU though ? So it can't really drop from DPP UU into BW RU ?_? Pretty nice piece otherwise :)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
if possible the DPP UU mon shouldn't be in BW RU too, though that may have been confusing from my description, so that's fine.

Thanks for the artwork andrew, it's adorable regardless :3

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
@Oglemi: I could redo it.
So you prefer someone who's in dp uu but not bw ru? Like lopunny, the nidos, kanga? I have a basic idea of what's useful now but I don't know what was featured in D/P :|.....Which mon would you recommend?

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
@andrew3391

Anything from this list:

Alakazam
Ambipom
Arcanine
Azumarill
Blastoise
Chansey
Claydol
Cloyster
Donphan
Dusclops
Dugtrio
Espeon
Gastrodon
Gligar
Hitmontop
Houndoom
Milotic
Mismagius
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Porygon2
Registeel
Rhyperior
Sableye
Sharpedo
Slowbro
Toxicroak
Venusaur
Xatu

Last edited:
I'd like to request artwork for my tournament "No More Legends"; it's an OU tournament in which all legendary Pokemon and all of the 6 pseudo legendary Pokemon are banned. Anything that represents this difference from the standard OU meta game would be appreciated. Thanks!

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
STAB Mania Signups have gone up - I'd really appreciate if someone could get some art going as the OP looks really bland and boring without it~

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I just started working on something for stab mania... hopefully be done by tonight

Last edited:

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It looks great and colourful, thanks Andrew! What my main concern is that the ice STAB text is a little bit bland - I understand that ice isn;t exactly thrilling and exciting, but could I get a little more texture to it - I mean you've done it really well with the magma (which yeah ok - it's liquid rather than solid)

Could I also get a transparent background version? just so I an compare

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
ok, ice, and since you mentioned something about magma liquid/solid i thought I'd try to represent that in parts. I made it slightly larger but if you let me know exact size I could change it :D

stab mania3.png

w/ background
stab maniachanges.png

Last edited:

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Tournament Name: No More Legends
Host: GCSChris
Format:
OU
Tournament Rules: Tournament in which all legendary Pokemon and all of the 6 pseudo legendary Pokemon are banned.
Art Direction: Anything that represents this difference from the standard OU meta game would be appreciated
GCSChris :

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Tournament Name: Doubles Doubles Tournament
Host: Audiosurfer
Format:
Smogon Doubles
Tournament Rules: People are randomly put into pairs and compete against other pairs in the tournament
Art Direction: I was thinking of two common Doubles pokemon, one trying to help the other w/ some support move or something (like maybe Cresselia using Helping Hand to boost another Poke's attack or Jirachi using Follow Me to redirect a hit or something) As long as it shows two Pokemon commonly used in Doubles though I'm open to changes if this is too hard to get down
HEAD KNIGHT: The Knights Who Say 'Ni' demand a sacrifice!

KNIGHTS OF NI: Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!...

ARTHUR: Ow! Ow! Ow! Agh!

HEAD KNIGHT: We shall say 'ni' again to you if you do not appease us.

ARTHUR: Well, what is it you want?

HEAD KNIGHT: We want... a shrubbery!

[dramatic chord]

ARTHUR: A what?

KNIGHTS OF NI: Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!

ARTHUR and PARTY: Ow! Oh!

ARTHUR: Please, please! No more! We will find you a shrubbery.

HEAD KNIGHT: You must return here with a shrubbery or else you will never pass through this wood alive!

ARTHUR: O Knights of Ni, you are just and fair, and we will return with a shrubbery.

Audiosurfer :

ARTHUR: O Knights of Ni, we have brought you your shrubbery. May we go now?

HEAD KNIGHT: It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly,... but there is one small problem.

ARTHUR: What is that?

HEAD KNIGHT: We are now... no longer the Knights Who Say 'Ni'.

KNIGHTS OF NI: Ni! Shh!

HEAD KNIGHT: Shh! We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zu-owly-zhiv'.

RANDOM: Ni!

HEAD KNIGHT: Therefore, we must give you a test.

ARTHUR: What is this test, O Knights of-- knights who till recently said 'ni'?

HEAD KNIGHT: Firstly, you must find... another shrubbery!
[dramatic chord]

ARTHUR: Not another shrubbery!

RANDOM: Ni!

haha i made two

Last edited:

FireMage

Disgraced
ok, ice, and since you mentioned something about magma liquid/solid i thought I'd try to represent that in parts. I made it slightly larger but if you let me know exact size I could change it :D

View attachment 1686

w/ background

View attachment 1686

w/ background

I'm really bad at remembering to reply but the newer version looks great!

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks andrew3391 , they looks great :) I'll have to think for a bit to decide which one I'll use tho. One nitpick is if you can make the wording pop a bit more w/o disrupting the cool images you've got goin on, cuz that'd be cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)