The Artwork for Tournaments Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a try for Pass the try 2 ! Hope you'll enjoy.
Ah, wow, Thanks for stopping by to help us out!

I do dig your typography and effects, but I've gotta call back to the OP for a sec--

OP said:
If you're pulling images of pokemon from anywhere, they gotta be from here. Only artists who have made an art thread in smeargle's studio are elligible for you to pull from.
The reasoning behind this is that I'd like-- at least for now-- to keep away from using official or mainstream art, and instead use the resources of our community's artists if possible.

All I'd really like you to do is swap that raikou with another pokemon from one of our artists' threads (with permission) if you'd feel up to it!

I'll have to defer to Steven Snype regarding whether the the yu-gi-oh cards are cool by themselves or if he wanted to restrict it to the "exchange" card/concept he mentioned. If yu-gi-oh by itself is cool with the host then it's cool with me.

But big thanks for your efforts so far! :)

Furosuto said:
Hey Zracknel, mind if I do a piece for Tournament Name: ADVanced Users Only? I have a cool idea for this.
No need to ask-- go right ahead, man!

More WIP
Just need to add the attacks in Machamp's hands and a simple background. I'm not very good at typography so a logo to fill up the space would me much appreciated if you have the time (for offstat tourney)

Where can I find more about the Offstat Tourney? I tried searching the forums but it basically brought me back to this thread. I'd be really interested in participating but want to become clearer on the rules. Sorry for putting this in the art thread but wasn't sure where else to ask. Thanks!

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's a sketch for Chieliee's 3-mon tournament. I'll hopefully be done with it today.

Edit:

Edit2:

Edit3:

Where can I find more about the Offstat Tourney? I tried searching the forums but it basically brought me back to this thread. I'd be really interested in participating but want to become clearer on the rules. Sorry for putting this in the art thread but wasn't sure where else to ask. Thanks!
Level 51 is the host of that tournament.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
It isn't up yet, it's an upcoming tourney. It'll be up in an undetermined time because tournaments typically go up when another has finished, and I don't know when that'll happen nor which tourney it's placed to go after.

i don't wanna be mean, but in elcheeso/bummer's tournament of goodfellas, what is the pokemon in between heracross and tauros? It's really bugging me! Gahhhhhh

Hey all,

It's time for another
DEADLINE UPDATE!

And this is really getting pretty funny... it seems like all of the tournaments that are by chance not receiving our attention are the ones that now suddenly have due dates popping up!

Sayonara said:
Hi Zracknel! Just to let you know, the date of the sign-ups for the OU Cavalry: BW Edition will be September 14.
Sayonara just told me that his tournament's sign-up date is approximately one week from today-- September 14th.

If anyone feels up to the challenge of taking on this tournament, please have at it!

Even if you don't feel like the strongest artist out there, please consider giving it a shot-- every little bit helps!

~~~~~~~~~~

As a reflection of our being in a good place with the Tournament of Goodfellas (three submissions) I am going to dial down that project's priority-- but if you'd like to create additional artwork for it, please do not let me stop you! Go for it!

I have also-- for ease of seeing where we are with everything-- edited every submission we've received into the OP. (Everything, that is, except for submissions that we can't use due to rule breaking, etc.)

Hey all,

It's time for another
DEADLINE UPDATE!

And this is really getting pretty funny... it seems like all of the tournaments that are by chance not receiving our attention are the ones that now suddenly have due dates popping up!

Sayonara just told me that his tournament's sign-up date is approximately one week from today-- September 14th.

how convenient, i was just about to start this lol.
this is a BW gen5 battle only right?

And thanks for the reply earlier, I understand most things now haha

edit: woops, the BW means we're using the tiers based on BW doesn't it

Kythro said:
how convenient, i was just about to start this lol.
this is a BW gen5 battle only right?

And thanks for the reply earlier, I understand most things now haha

edit: woops, the BW means we're using the tiers based on BW doesn't it
So the deal with this tournament is that it's actually set in Black/White's UU tier. You can see the contents of this tier here:

http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/uu

However, rather than just using pokemon from that tier, one pokemon each round (as per this tournament's rules) will be brought down from Black/White's OU tier, seen here

http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/ou

These lists show all of the pokemon that are in these tiers, but calling back to the usage statistics, I think it's most appropriate to take popular pokemon from each of the tiers to represent the tournament.

Here's those usage stats again

So, for example, if you choose to go with Sayonara's art direction, it might be advisable to show either Scizor, Dragonite, or Tyranitar (notoriously offensive and dangerous pokemon from the OU tier) terrorizing UU pokemon that are within, say, the top 20 of the standard UU rated statistics.

If you have any questions or if I didn't explain that clearly, please let me know! Also feel free to post sketches/roughs if you're unsure of which pokemon to use!

Many thanks for volunteering to give this a shot :)

@Zracknel , thanks for clearing everything up for me ;)

good thing i did something right by starting out with a tyranitard
can you suggest some well known UU pokemon for me to use?

p.s tried following instructions for irc. had no idea what i was doing lmao

wip of teetar
i wanted to do a cartoon thing with lineart, but i can;t understand how tyranitar works so i did this instead zzz

i'll be arranging/ sharpening up to make it more logo material rather than portraits

Okay added a simple background. Some typography would be lovely, if you need resizing of the mons or whatever just contact me and I'll do it.
Also Kythro that's looking great, love ttar's smug, evil look :)

EDIT: fixed some messy outlines

EDIT EDIT: DID SOMEONE SAY ACTUAL CAVALRY????
very wip

Here's a WIP on the 3Mon tournament art that I'm doing.

Again, it'll be resize and all once it's completely finished, and I still need to do the highlights and shadows now, but it's coming along.

Can you spot derptrio?

Ritter, you already know how I feel about the offstat pic, but the cavalry one is also awesome... as well as adorable (Terrakion's face!). That being said, I kind of feel like it might be a bad idea showing OU mons riding other OU mons, considering the tourny theme. Maybe Lucario and Celebi could be replaced with UU mons? Minor issue though, it looks great so far!

Furo, I feel kind of bad giving this kind of feedback considering how far you are into your pic... but while your pic is solid art wise, I feel like it's not very interesting visually. Granted, I'm not the best person for this kind of feedback, but having three mons just facing the "camera" straight on without any unifying stuff in the background makes the pic feel a little bit boring.

You can see with Bummer's submission (same idea, more or less) that he has Mamo towering over Tentacruel, who is turned at a slight angle, to make the pic more interesting, not to mention the triangle being used to bring it all together. I'd recommend the same sort of thing for yours but apparently Metagross isn't actually a very big pokemon (plus I think he doesn't appear to be facing perfectly straight ahead which looks good). Instead maybe you could center Metagross a little more and have Volcarona flying around him or something? I feel Volcarona is the main problem with your pic since it's just sort of sitting there facing straight towards us.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I also hope it doesn't come off as mean because that isn't really my intention here.

Furo, I feel kind of bad giving this kind of feedback considering how far you are into your pic... but while your pic is solid art wise, I feel like it's not very interesting visually. Granted, I'm not the best person for this kind of feedback, but having three mons just facing the "camera" straight on without any unifying stuff in the background makes the pic feel a little bit boring.

You can see with Bummer's submission (same idea, more or less) that he has Mamo towering over Tentacruel, who is turned at a slight angle, to make the pic more interesting, not to mention the triangle being used to bring it all together. I'd recommend the same sort of thing for yours but apparently Metagross isn't actually a very big pokemon (plus I think he doesn't appear to be facing perfectly straight ahead which looks good). Instead maybe you could center Metagross a little more and have Volcarona flying around him or something? I feel Volcarona is the main problem with your pic since it's just sort of sitting there facing straight towards us.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I also hope it doesn't come off as mean because that isn't really my intention here.
Don't feel bad about it. On the contrary, I'm quite glad that someone would give their time to help me on my art. Unfortunately, I viewed this after I had done a bunch of shading on different layers, so it's a little too late to go back, but I will heavily remember this on future pics, and try to apply it.

Also, someone help me, backgrounds and typography are soooooooooo hard.......

EDIT: Also, derptrio. :) nuff said.

EDITY EDIT: Also, I have to thank you dearly Elcheeso for taking your time and giving me a very thorough feedback on how to improve my piece. I think this could help me alot with my pieces, so again, thanks for responding. I'll definitely do what you said in the future. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)