ORAS OU The Banned Chronicles Part 3 "Where are your dark resists?"

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
FT- ILOVELEAGUE

Intro

Hi, I'm NJNP and this a joint RMT with my fren, and running meme, Ricardo.

We are making these RMT Chronicles to give us something to do while we wait out our 6 month ban. These RMTs will all hit at least Top 10 on the ladder. Hopefully people use these RMTs on the ladder, because our goal is to give consistent high quality teams for players to ladder with. The idea of this team was given too me by good fren iloveleague who was determined to use the great typing and batter me with it. This is our third rmt of the series and features arguably the best typing in the game dark types. The dark type has very few resists and commonly mons who are of the typing have moves to hit the resists like fairy and fighting (poison jab weav,Bounce M-Gyara). The concept of this team is simple pressure the few dark resists they have(if they have any) to a point where one of the sweepers this team possess wins. Hope You Enjoy This RMT!

Alright, Let's get into the team!

THE TEAM IN-DEPTH

@ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Overview

Banded Weavile has been a prominent wall breaker in the tour scene and on ladder ever sense ABR decided to constantly use in during SPL. This mon has very little switch ins and the very few in has get punished to the point they are no longer a switch in. This is my main way to remove the threat of Mega Gardevoir with the 50/50 of pursuit or crash mostly being able to put in range if it gets the 50/50 right is just enough at times. This mon is also the main way to pressure bulky mons like amoonguss and zapdos.

@ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

Overview

This is my mega and generally my main sweeper. This has the nice lure of bounce mega gyara too lure and take out or weaken threats like Amoon,Keldeo,Mega Venu. You try to generally not try too mega unless you have too because having stab bounce is very nice at times. If bulky garchomp and rotom haven't been weaken you usually use this too weaken them for weav/bisharp and vice versa.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Overview

This is my rocker and physical wall to stop threats such as mega lopunny and char x. This mon is always making an impact in the meta game and is so versatile. For this team I have chosen standard rh(best item in the game) and run a not so standard hp fire set. This is my mega scizor check and having a dark mono in certainly is a big threat towards the team. Generally it gets so overpowered the problem of its presence dissolves. This is usually my azu switch in lol which isn't a great one but lets me scout the set and get chip damage off on it so a mon like crawdaunt/mega gyara can get past it.

@ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Overview

This is another one of my sweepers and general clefable check. The defiant monster himself being known for his great knock off stab and priority sucker punch along with the ability of punishing defog users. It simply isn't a saint. This is the general lead vs Mega Sableye teams and sd as they wisp too pressure them out and try to pressure the mon as much as possible. This mon is always something you have to prep for and generally its common checks get weaken quickly and there's very few scarier things then a plus 2 bisharp.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Overview

This monster with no switch ins is so much fun too use. Using crawdaunt is so simple u click knock generally and crabhammer if u most. This is one of the very nice sand checks I have on the team and easily pressures excadrill out. This also is generally the mon that pressures mega diancie out and forces a 50/50 if aqua jet will be clicked or any other deadly move. Crawdaunt also breaks down ferro for mega gyara and is a last resort option for clefable too weaken it too be revenged by another mon. Crawdaunt is the reason you run a little speed on rotom, crawdaunt is the reason you have nightmares, crawdaunt is the reason you're happy some mon's are frail.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish

Overview

This is the main scald switch in and electric switch in for this team. Latias general job is to keep rocks off the field for weavile and gyara while being a reliable switch in to many spa atks. This set is definitely standard but preventing bisharp/scizor as many free sd's as possible is nice and not letting ferro set up hazards so freely as well. This mon really does bring the team together and adds another amazing non fairy resists bringing the team to a total of zero
!

Hope You Guys Enjoyed Reading This RMT! Replays and Import Are Below :mad:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-396766944 vs Storm Zone
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-396770323 - Getting Peak
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-396757265 vs diancie and breelom
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-396755025 vs shed stall

ToptierBoi (Weavile) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Leftiez (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

Ricardo (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Baesharp (Bisharp) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Mattybrollic (Crawdaunt) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Hospitalized Joey (Latias) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish

PROOF OF PEAK 6 AM IN ATLANTA
http://puu.sh/pUudl/d5ff12ffe0.png

Last edited:
Really solid team considering the ott spam. Most issues on paper can be held at bay long enough to overwhelm the opponent's Dark checks. That said I think the following are problematic:

Obviously. If it's the Spiky Shield + Drain Punch variant then it walls the whole team bar Lati (who lacks recovery and is Pursuit weak).

Both stallbreaker and SD Talon. Having Healing Wish Lati to cure burns on Craw or Gyara would help though. I agree that HP Fire > Stone Edge on Lando is optimal, so you can't fix this weakness without changing mons.

Beating Loom is very prediction reliant, and not in the team's favour.

Kinda, although you do have Lati and numerous strong priorities. Manectric + Loom / Keld + Pursuit cores are pretty common and look difficult.

Paired with a stable Bisharp counter obviously, it's going to require a couple of sacs.

Again you just have to overwhelm it, which isn't going to work if it has the right team mates.

One option you do have I think is to replace one of the Darks with a Gengar. Gar has great synergy with Dark spam, and at worst gives you some more opportunities to predict and outplay vs opposing Fairies or Fighters. It does a decent job against your threatlist too.

Alternatively I think Heatran replacing Bisharp is possible. Covers your threatlist, tends to bring in stuff like Slowbro or Chansey for your Knock Off spam, and stops Skarmory from Defogging anyway (while Weavile et al cover Lati's obviously). You can go Chople as well if Breloom remains annoying.

Anyway, cool team, gl with any changes you make.

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi njnp! I remember some battle vs you and a nice chat:)

Grats for the peak man! Honestly I first thought you were trolling when I saw the third mon: "Wtf! Weavile+Gyara and now bisharp?? And Crawdaunt?!???" But I then realized that Lando+Latias deals with almost any special or physical threat. And bisharp brings a steel type+clefa "counter", weavile+crawdaunt do a perfect RK job.

In fact, your team works very similarly to my Slaking Offense so I think I can rate it well :
-You focus on a great dark spam combo (4!!). Their poor defensive typing synergy is balanced by 2 great tanks. It's like my normalSpam core + lando/dragalge tank core. You let your mons be weakened, but you try to keep them because of healwish: your team works like offense and not like HYPERoffense. That's where I found some issue in your team: weavile (banded) , lando and latias are a problem: since they are locked/have no set up move, you let many big threats gain momentum, notably ScizorMega Def SD, ferrothorn, any Scald user can also threaten your team if it comes in a locked Icicle and proceed torecover/wish/whatever vs latias, burn your sweepers (you have no sub gyara).
I know that most of the time YOU are the one putting pressure, but tbh a well played Ferro with a def core can literally annihilate your team by leech seeding and avoiding knock offs. Scizor mega: well it's almost gg vs him, even with a not mega evolved gyara, because of its incredible bulk.

So I suggest using magnezone instead of bisharp. I watched your replays and bisharp looks pretty useless, probably because you have already 4 dark attackers thanks to healing wish. Magnezone with specs is not worth because you only focus on physical dark spam, scarf is useless since weavile already RKs: so I think SubChargeBeam Magnezone would be awesome in your team: it sets up on ferro, reaches +6 and keeps the sub, Kills ferro and the next mon who must break the sub. So you turn ferro, an incredible threat to your team, in a set up fodder who guarrantees two Mag kills. Mag must be fast enough in order to beat scizor before u-turn. Mag can set up a sub on clefa, so I would definitely use Mag in your team! Your team realy needs it, hp fire on lando and latias shows it^^

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam

- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Finally, you should try Sludge Wave crawdaunt, as a great Chesnaught and MegaAltaria lure; crawdaunt has 90 BS spA! And a Life Orb... :) It's a set suggested by Leftiez so consider it njnp ^^

0 SpA Life Orb Crawdaunt Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chesnaught: 205-244 (53.9 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Life Orb Crawdaunt Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Mega Altaria: 143-169 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- 57% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Mattybrollic (Crawdaunt) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Here are the sets you should use (evs on lando so as to lead vs manectric and latias spread for icy wind keldeo)
Ricardo (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Leftiez (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

What is sub Gyara for? : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-397807022

Thanks for reading my rate :)) And GL for your future RMTs ! :)

Glad my quadruple dark spam is getting some usage!

Couple of suggestions based on my experience from the team:
1. I don't think that the bounce on gyara is necessary. You wear down keldeo and dark resists down quickly enough and grass types aren't really a threat when you have crawdaunt and weavile and lati.
2. Not so sure about the hp fire landorus-t. I recognize the team is moderately weak to mega scizor but this is only the case if you mega ur gyarados. In general gyara beats scizor 1v1 so keep it healthy and rocks off as much as possible.
3. I think Sub on gyara is excellent. You really take advantage of the fact that you force latis to draco into your crawdaunt or keldeos to secret sword into ur darks to take them out. It gives many setup opportunity that seal up the game. It also just wins straight up vs stall and w/e the fuck wondertrio is :P
5. I think the usage of latias is interesting. When I first built the team, I was using latios cuz I didn't think that the healing wish was super necessary but I think it could definitely be useful. I would try messing around with memento latios, its a cool way to just let one of ur sweepers win.

Congrats!

Last edited:
I like this series. Grats on peck.

Since Shadow Tag has been banned, we can expect a future chapter of ''The Banned Chronicles'' with a team focused for trappers (Magma Storm, Pursuit, maybe Dug/Mag) + WinCon broken?

Oh yeh side note: consider lo bish > lum. This team has no issue with sableye/stall or rotom thanks to crawdaunt and gyara. LO bisharp conserves some kos and gets much necessary damage on lopunnt in the offense matchup.

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Oh yeh side note: consider lo bish > lum. This team has no issue with sableye/stall or rotom thanks to crawdaunt and gyara. LO bisharp conserves some kos and gets much necessary damage on lopunnt in the offense matchup.
Nope, Lum is much better because it at least can force sableye to switch out. If you run lo then it gets free wisp from the start off battle. Lum also prevents wisp t-flame from stopping a sweep so quickly. Lum allows you to set up on rotom-w as well. This team really appreciates lum much more than lo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)