• Pokemon Snap

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Pokemon TCG

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Pokemon Puzzle League

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Pokemon Dash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Console Games (Stadium, Colosseum & XD, Battle Revolution)

Votes: 36 38.7%
  • Pokemon Pinball

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Pokemon Trozei/Pokemon Link!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other/Don't know/Undecided

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters
pokemon has a crapload of spin-offs; whether they be highly popular like pokemon ranger and mystery dungeon, or concepts that weren't too popular, like dash. which do you think is the best, and why?

for me, it's hard to choose. i loved the pokemon mystery dungeon series; mainly because the stories are amazing, and being able to play as a pokemon is something that pretty much everyone who has played a pokemon game has wanted to have the opportunity to actually be a pokemon at some point. they're really creative, too, although they get repetitive really quickly.

but then my best friend gave me his wii when he upgraded to wii u, and it had pokemon snap on it. i played it and loved it. i'm too young to have played the nintendo 64 first-hand, and i've always been treated to good graphics (receiving my first game console, an xbox, for my 8th birthday in 2005), but i found this game extremely addicting. seeing all of the pokemon in the wild was great, it was super colourful, and the different ways to see the pokemon that actually made sense and could have you apply your game or show knowledge to have them pop out for you. the only real problem is the extremely short length, which really sucks... POKEMON SNAP 3D/U WOULD BE SO GOOD FOR THIS GEN'S CONSOLES, NINTENDO. COME ON.

honourable mention goes out to pokemon pinball for being accessible and unique, yet addicting, despite my not having flipper fingers.

what about you guys? got a favourite?

does the Pokemon tcg for the game boy color count?

its the only one I've played so it wins by default

Does Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness count? It's technically a spin off, even if it generally follows regular mechanics.

If not, then I'll go for the Myster Dungeon Series.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Really. I came onto here to make this thread, except that I was going to add a poll to it. Shiruba, may I just ask that you do add the poll? Just you know, one option pokemon mystery dungeon series, another XD/colo etc. etc.

Really. I came onto here to make this thread, except that I was going to add a poll to it. Shiruba, may I just ask that you do add the poll? Just you know, one option pokemon mystery dungeon series, another XD/colo etc. etc.
done!

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd have to say the later PMD games, though they were far from perfect. They had excellent music and very touching storylines (easily he best plotlines out of any Pokemon game) but suffered from the fact that their gameplay was completely fucking infuriatingly repetitive. There's only so far you can go through 50+ floor dungeons without just becoming bored of the game. However, the excellent main storyline of Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky really made up for what in the original mystery dungeons was simply incredibly boring gameplay.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My favorite spinoffs are from the Rumble series. I played Rumble Blast for 100+ hours--far more than I have played any other PKMN spinoffs. I'm a sucker for games with random drops (Diablo/Kid Icarus/etc.) and I love Pokémon, so Rumble Blast was right up my alley!

Puzzle League and TCG deserve honorable mentions, though.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP :D

Nintendo give us MORE SNAP. PLEASE?! I will buy ten copies :D It was such a different way of looking at Pokémon and it was always really good fun. Such a shame the original only had like 63 Pokémon in it!

Celever

i am town
COLOSSEUM XD COLOSSEUM XD COLOSSEUM XD

Sorry, I thought that what DHR was doing was pretty nice.

Basically though, is that colo, like snap, gave a completely new approach to pokemon. Colo, however, he a story to it (best in the series, your argument is invalid it is (besides mystery dungeon explorers but who cares :P )) and yeah. I may write an essay on it tomorrow.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Damn, a list with the GameCube games AND Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? You make this too hard :O

Both games have great storylines and incredible music, it's so hard to choose one...

I agree with Windsong. The Mystery Dungeon games are way too fucking repetitive and really aren't even that fun to begin with, at least to me. It has a good story, but so do a ton of other games. Nothing special, and if that's the only thing it has going for it to make up for the gameplay, I'll pass. I know some of you liked it, so I'll respect that, but to me, it was complete garbage.

I haven't played any of the other spinoffs though besides the Stadium games (never owned them though) and PBR, which....fuck that game. I wanna try Colloseum and XD though.

Pokemon Crater not being in the poll is a crime. Sure, it got shut down in 2004 or something, but man, Pokemon Crater was where all the cool kids were at.

I agree with Windsong. The Mystery Dungeon games are way too fucking repetitive and really aren't even that fun to begin with, at least to me. It has a good story, but so do a ton of other games. Nothing special, and if that's the only thing it has going for it to make up for the gameplay, I'll pass. I know some of you liked it, so I'll respect that, but to me, it was complete garbage.

I haven't played any of the other spinoffs though besides the Stadium games (never owned them though) and PBR, which....fuck that game. I wanna try Colloseum and XD though.
Thirding the PMD point. The storyline is amazing (Guildmaster Wigglytuff is the best NPC ever too. Read what he says, powerful stuff:
Guildmaster Wigglytuff said:
It's just not possible for you to be unwanted in this world. It makes me happy that you're here. That's reason enough to exist. More than that, it's not just you... Everyone in the world... Not one of their lives is without meaning! So never think that you're not wanted ever again. Stay full of cheer! Alright?

You're worried about failing, but that's how everyone becomes stronger. So Failure is nothing to be embarrassed about.
But the gameplay gets old after the story's done.

Pick the GCN games up if you can.

Oh, by the way, guys- you can pick more than one option~ I allowed it. I said 'best,' but it's not necessary to pick only one; pretty misleading, sorry about that.

Shoot, I really should've mentioned Conquest; Rumble, too. I just wanted to get the poll out faster... Can you edit polls? No, eh?

Pokemon Crater not being in the poll is a crime. Sure, it got shut down in 2004 or something, but man, Pokemon Crater was where all the cool kids were at.
I was more or less referring to official spin-offs, but you are so right. I loved that game; I was so pleased when I caught my ghostly Butterfree - I was addicted to Butterfree, you see, and traded my Level 100 Charizard for one, not long before it was taken down.

Yeah, pretty intense.

I think they have Pokemon Indigo and whatnot, but it's just not the same.

Someone doesn't know of the revival XD Go on google and type in Pokemon Vortex, it is exactly like Crater.

But the Best Spin-offs to me were Conquest and Col/XD.

Personally I don't like spin-offs that much, but RS Pinball and TCG are my favourites

But if I'll have to go for the neutral best, I'll probably choose the Dungeon series, they're really well made, they're just not my style.

I've spent a load of time in Zero Isle South. Also playing Ranger 1. Also in Conquest.

So yeah, I guess I like a lot of spinoffs. So I voted for all of them :)

Celever

i am town
I live in a world with people who consider Colosseum to not only be good but superior to Snap.

I'm gonna go lie down.
Hmm? Would you like to say what is wrong with colosseum? I have never figured out the charm that snap has, the best thing there was for me is "excellent" in the weird voice xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)