The Biggest Loser rule drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, this doesn't have approval, but as it isn't a sign up thread, I hope it's OK. I'll obviously get approval if I decide to go through with this. =)

The point of this tournament is that the person who loses advances. They will attempt to lose, unlike in the back luck tournament, where they were supposed to try and win. To prevent things like 6 Mementoers and pointlessness like that, I will create a bunch of Pokemon that you can use to construct your team. Your team must be made up of Pokemon that I will post at a later date. An example of something I might make would be...

Salamence (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break / Double-Edge

So basically, it would be mostly offensive Pokemon.

I'm not sure how yet, but I'd like to limit switching to prevent infinite switch wars. I'm considering a sort of switching credit system, where you have X number of switches, but you can get more switches for every Pokemon you kill, or maybe is killed, or maybe after a certain number of turns.

The goal against that Salamence, for example, would be to switch your Zapdos into Rock Slides, Heracross into Hidden Power Flying, and Tyranitar into Brick Break / Earthquake.

Any blatant idiocy that can ruin the idea, or ideas to improve it? Also should I put a Spiker into the draft (something like Omastar with Spikes, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Grass seems good, possibly with a restriction on the amount of turns you can use Spikes, but maybe not)? Alternately, I may just give a list of moves you can use, but then people will do things like Focus Punch Iron Tail Facade Shadow Ball Modest Alakazam or something dumb.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sounds cool I would be up for it, but some rules would need to be ironed out to prevent neverending stall wars

I would like something like a NBA draft where there are predetermined movesets and we draft a team, just an idea

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. I just post like 25 Pokemon with sets or something and you can make your team of 6 based on those guys. I'm thinking of a few interesting ideas.

Well yeah sounds cool, but all pokemon would need to have moves that are damaging except stuff like spikes and toxic which should be allowed to only use a certain number of times, also the move focus punch should be banned for obvious reasons.

obi

formerly david stone
No switching twice in a row seems like a much better idea that is easier and probably more interesting than anything I came up with.

I'm not sure how I feel about Focus Punch. It's probably broken, because if they switched on the previous turn, you know they aren't switching this turn, and thus your Focus Punch will be interrupted.

Love this idea.

As for focus punch...maybe getting an extra switch for each focus punch used?

actually, with the upbringing of the switching thing, why not make it a regular tournament with that rule? the games surely would be much faster and trying to lose on purpose is ehhhhhhhhh

plus, when making rules, thats too much effort on your part to create a separte list of pokes/sets and whatnot so ehhhh imo a regular standard tournament with switching rules could be interesting

Yay my idea was accepted!!
Hmm... about that *too much trouble part* why not ask a few people to help chip in some pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)