ORAS UU The Birds and the Bees

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor

Hello everyone, this is Rattled Snakes here with my 2nd ever UU RMT. With the drop of Zapdos a while back I was really interested in making a volturn team alongside Mega-Beedril. Zapdos has all the tools to facilitate volturn, while also providing a suprising amount of defensive utility through its typing and natural bulk. Volturn is incredibly fun to play and is literally unstoppable if you can catch someone in the vortex of Volt Switch and U-turn. I'm not really a ladder guy but I made it top 10 pretty easily around 1650s elo. The essential goal of the team is to wear down through Volturn, keep pressure with Espeon and Sableye, and finally execute with Cobalion.

Teambuilding Process

I started off with the volturn duo, 3 attacks LO roost Zapdos deals with a majority of ground types which try to deter volturn.

I added Cobalion as a Sweeper who also had volt switch to pivot out. This lets me use it both early and late game depending on my needs.

I still needed an Entei check. Originally running stealth rocks on Cobalion, i shifted it to Swampert so that Cobalion could be more threatening.

Sableye is such a beauty I knew I had to run it. Helps brick stall while also spreading burns and also being my safety net check to a lot of stuff.

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

Starting with the bee himself, Beedril provides the Turn part of my Volturn onslaught. Moveset is standard with a twist: I am running Tspikes because I feel like a lot of teams can and will get exposed because they do not have a grounded poison type. Through momentum caused by Volturn and the spinblocking prowess of Sableye, I feel I can keep Tspikes up throughout the game and make the Volturn a nightmare for the opposition. The reason I run Jolly instead of Adamant is because I really want to limit the base 80 scarfers which otherwise have the potential to run amok over my team.Eg Gardevoir.

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Zapdos is extremely powerful and a 3 attacks LO roost set takes advantage of its attributes. Heat wave and Hp grass lets me deal with almost all of the volturn deterrents like Swampert, Mega-Steelix,etc. This team does not have a defogger but I feel running Defog on LO Zapdos means that Zapdos loses out on beating on a volturn stop. Using a LO user a defogger is also not the greatest idea anyways. EVs are maximized for power and speed, timid instead of modest because it lets me outspeed a lot lot more.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

I wanted some sort of defensive backbone to add on to the team. Cobalion fit the role beautifully while also providing offense presence with Swords dance and momentum provisions with Volt Switch. It functions as my Mamoswine switchin and is used to check a variety of other threats like Beedril.

Espeon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Baton Pass
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

This team needed hazard removal, and I figured the most fun way to approach my dilemna was by adding a magic bouncer. Focus Sash is there to make sure I at least have 1 life (espeon is a shit cat because it doesn't have 9 lives y/y ) if I mispredict the rocks set up. Grass Knot is to lure Swampert and hits a lot of water types for more damage than they expected. I tend to play really aggresively with Espeon because the team doesnt have hazard Removal. Even if it means you risk dying you have to do your best to stop rocks from getting up. A whole lot of fun to play but as they say. Live by the Swords die by it too. Most games I can keep rocks off but every once in a while I slip up or get outplayed and then the game becomes a lot tougher. If you really feel the pinch of over reliance on Espeon, just run defog on Zapdos problem solved.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
I wanted an Entei switchin and bulky stuff never hurts. A pretty standard set except I run ice beam to lure Salamence who thinks it can come in free for hazard removal or dding. It also does some surprise damage on Gligar. Also is a last minute check to DD mence if i let Coba get too weakened early on. Swampert is overall a really solid mon and no reason not to put it on a team. However, it is a bit of a momentum sink so once you have rocks up just double out of pert and you should be good momentum wise. Also be careful with Gyarados because it sets up on Pert because nothing breaks sub. Roar fixes the problem however

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Sableye is a last minute check all to a whole lot of stuff. Pretty standard set nothing too fancy. Sableye is also really good for momentum purposes as it acts as a sort of funnel. The checks to Sableye are a pretty linear group which lets me double out and regain momentum. Also as Hogg says never trust anyone when they tell you how much speed they run on their stallbreakers ;)

Threatlist:

Comes in free on Sableye, only ways of dealing with this is taking heavy damage with Swampert of by revenging with Bee

Hazards: Play aggressively with Sableye and Espeon to limit this. But if it gets up oof. Run defog on Zapdos if its too much of a problem (I personally haven't)

Shoutouts:

LittleRunnerXC One of my best friends on this site thanks for the help. Get yo ass on #teamvoice
lucqq Undefeated in farm league m8
Aquadext Thanks for always testing with me even though im always on mobile and can't test too much
LeoLancaster hi
Mahmudkipz Cancer auth imo
newfren Australia (BAN ME PLEASE) imo
Sniper sorry this team isnt semi stall
BrandonBeast GEN 4 UU HYPE
Merlouvynis OG voice buddies #teamboice
Euphonos I didnt innovate that much this team pls forgive me
Thisbemyalt Hi
Horsehead-3 So chill much wow
Threw lol
Pinkin Lark You will always be #teamvoice in my heart
Killintime I haven't see u around in a while
Sacri' get selected in spl mids y/y
ManOfMany PU squad repping

If i forgot anyone just tell me n_n
  1. Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
    [*]Ability: Swarm
    [*]EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    [*]Jolly Nature
    [*]- U-turn
    [*]- Poison Jab
    [*]- Toxic Spikes
    [*]- Protect
    [*]

[*]Zapdos @ Life Orb
    [*]Ability: Pressure
    [*]EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    [*]Timid Nature
    [*]- Roost
    [*]- Volt Switch
    [*]- Heat Wave
    [*]- Hidden Power [Grass]
    [*]

[*]Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
    [*]Ability: Justified
    [*]EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    [*]Jolly Nature
    [*]- Volt Switch
    [*]- Swords Dance
    [*]- Close Combat
    [*]- Iron Head
    [*]

[*]Espeon @ Focus Sash
    [*]Ability: Magic Bounce
    [*]EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    [*]Timid Nature
    [*]IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
    [*]- Grass Knot
    [*]- Baton Pass
    [*]- Psychic
    [*]- Dazzling Gleam
    [*]

[*]Swampert @ Leftovers
    [*]Ability: Torrent
    [*]EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    [*]Relaxed Nature
    [*]- Scald
    [*]- Stealth Rock
    [*]- Earthquake
    [*]- Ice Beam
    [*]

[*]Sableye @ Leftovers
    [*]Ability: Prankster
    [*]EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
    [*]Calm Nature
    [*]- Taunt
    [*]- Knock Off
    [*]- Will-O-Wisp
    [*]- Recover
    [*]
replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-324570091
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-324565451
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-321383546

Last edited:
At first glance this team looks pretty dank dude :), after a more careful review, u have no defog idiot, put it on zapdos, heatwave is overrated, also lefties zapdos can actually pressure stall some mons too like heliosk and beat gyara too, and also defog provides ur spinner to not be espeon, i feel like most teams need a fairy type or something, after cob dies dragons like hence just have fun, but other then that i like it and id use it 10/10 hoping to see more rmts from u in the future (unlike the rapper) !! :heart::pimp:

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
Yeah, just a quick rate. First of all, I actually love the team, it is a standard UU Squad, with nonstandard sets. If you decide to run Defog on Zapdos (Which you should be), I think that Gardevoir>Espeon could be a good choice. This makes you less weak to fairy's, and gives you another offensive dark check. This also gives you more power, since you are running Focus Sash on Espeon. I think that Choice Scarf Gardevoir could work well as it gives your team more speed (Which espeon gave but still), and can also give your team Healing Wish support, which I feel like could be very useful for your team. Also, you can still play aggressively with Gardevoir, and also, Trace is a sick ability :). You dont have to switch Espeon, but I feel like Gardevoir could be very beneficial.

Also thank you for the first shoutout =)

Other than that, great team man!

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there Rattled Snakes! I am glad tos ee you using a really cool core effectively. Some minor changes can really help you out though, so here we go!
  • First off, the reason you run Toxic Spikes on Mega Beedrill is to take advantage of the fact that it is so reliant on Protect / being able to force certain switches. That being said, I suggest running Drill Run > Protect if you want to keep Toxic Spikes since it nails the grounded Poison-types that tend to absorb Toxic Spikes and wall your STAB moves as well as Steel-types that are immune to Toxic Spikes.
  • Secondly, with Zapdos being weak to Stealth Rock, Life Orb damage can rack up pretty quickly alongside which forces Zapdos to Roost a lot more than it should. Since you lack any hazard removal outside of potentially bouncing them back with Espeon, which is unreliable at best, I would suggest running the Magnet or Expert Belt > Life Orb. This allows you to avoid Life Orb recoil which, when coupled with an SR weakness, Zapdos becomes hard pressed to attack when it is constantly forced to Roost. Of course, Magnet gives you a more powerful Electric-type STAB while Expert Belt gives its coverage move power if it hits supereffectively. Since Volt Switch is on Cobalion, this still gives you VoltTurn like you want, which is why I feel like Thunderbolt > Volt Switch is necessary on Zapdos as it doesn't allow Gyarados to Sub-stall you while you are being forced out as Gyarados is a pretty big threat to this team.
  • If you want to play Espeon more offensively, I really feel like Life Orb > Focus Sash is a much better option as it boosts your attacks; more specifically, it allows Grass Knot to secure the OHKO on Swampert, 2HKO on Suicune, and the near OHKO on Feraligatr. Focus Sash doesn't do much especially if you slip up or misplay and hazards end up on your side of the field.
Other than that, this team looks solid. And hope you enjoy the changes! n_n

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hi.

• if you're gonna run toxic spikes beedrill you need to build your team in a way that it shouldn't require itself to run a coverage move like knock off or drill run. which frankly, you haven't done. the most popular cobalion set, sd 3 atks threatens your team a great deal and because swampert is susceptible to being worn down fairly easily without wish support / running protect and that leaves a lot of room for it to put in work against your team. if it happens to be lum berry then even sableye struggles to check it although that berry is far less common than shuca. anyway so along with cobalion being a threat eq aero is big problem as well and all of this stems from the fact that you are overloading swampert's defensive capabilities. to remedy this run slowking > espeon. you lessen the dependence on swampert which is pretty important for this teams success. Slowking also provides your team with a secondary win condition.

• obviously this change removes your only form of hazard removal so do run defog on zapdos please. your team is also rather weak to sceptile and you cant really do much when it gets a free switch in on Swampert or smth, so i would suggest trying out a specially defensive zapdos which actually avoids the 2hko after rocks from dragon pulse and can beat it with hp ice. the moveset would go something like this: t-bolt / hp ice / defog / roost. i frankly, don't really know why people have been using volt switch on non-choice zapdos as it's definitely the inferior option and especially when it comes to bulky Zapdos it could really use the firepower and not to mention it isn't forced to switch out to break Gyarados' subs.
0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 276-326 (88.7 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

volt switch isnt doing this.
  • i think running Hydreigon > Sableye as a stallbreaker would be pretty helpful because you're pretty weak to Chandelure and this would also give you another check to Pokemon like Crawdaunt so you aren't overly dependent on Cobalion in this regard. You were also pretty weak to Feraligatr so this helps check it in conjunction with your other mons. Cobalion already checks Snorlax pretty efficiently and Hydreigon still retains a good psychic check. not to mention you have slowking to check psychics as well. It gives you a switch in to zapdos as well which you lacked with sableye (is 2hkod).

• Stone Edge > Volt Switch on Cobalion is far more useful for your team, helping you check annoying mons like Zapdos and Gyarados and DD Mence a lot better than you can currently. I know you were trying to go for the whole "volt-turn" theme but in this case when something is so objectively better than the other there really is little reason not to use it.

• you should also consider running roar > ice beam on swampert so you can prevent gyara, mence and others from subbing and / or setting up on you but it's mostly for gyara. This change is more optional.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Psyshock
- Scald

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

hope i helped.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)